PDA

View Full Version : presidential mountains

stephanie
02-12-2006, 18:30
It sounds like most hikers steer clear of the AMC huts, but I was wondering if anyone hiked the Presidentials staying only in the huts. What are the distances between each hut? If some are too close, which ones would you skip?

weary
02-12-2006, 18:47
It sounds like most hikers steer clear of the AMC huts, but I was wondering if anyone hiked the Presidentials staying only in the huts. What are the distances between each hut? If some are too close, which ones would you skip?
I did all the huts in 1993. They are a comfortable days hike apart. Too close for fit thru hikers. But nice otherwise.

Download the Companion -- or buy the Companion or Wingfoot's Thru-hikers Guide for help on decisions on which to skip. It depends on your finances, time, and inclinations.

The huts are an experience, unlike any other experience on the trail. If you can afford the tab and the scheduling hassles, they are an enjoyable interlude. With the right attitude you will find nothing more "wild" than 100 hiking tourists at Lake of the Clouds, or Mizpah.

Basically, one has to choose a week to do the huts months in advance and then adjust your miles to meet that choice. Scheduling is easier if you can choose black fly season (late, May, June) or after labor day to make the traverse -- or are flexible in your hut nights.

Weary

Ramblin' Rose
02-12-2006, 18:55
In addition to what Weary has mentioned which I Ditto you may want to look at this site of AMC's
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm

Scorpion
02-12-2006, 23:02
I stayed in each of the huts in 04. I was able to get work for stay in them, and ate a lot. That was the primary reason I stayed in them, to eat. I had lost a lot of weight to that point and thought it was a chance to regain a little. It did bother me though to put in so few miles each day.

Scorpion GA ME 04

Peaks
02-13-2006, 10:58
I wouldn't say that most thru-hikers say clear of the AMC huts. Everyone stops at least to fill water bottles and use the toilets. Most look for something to eat, and many do work for stays.

Certainly the huts are not without contraversy. But, read other threads for that.

Gray Blazer
02-13-2006, 12:52
There is some good tent camping below the treeline on the Mt Eisenhower Trail.

Peaks
02-13-2006, 18:59
There is some good tent camping below the treeline on the Mt Eisenhower Trail.

There is good tent camping along many of the blue blazed trails below tree line. Just need to look for the places.

Kerosene
02-13-2006, 20:49
I was just perusing the AMC hut reservation pages and noticed that The Lake of the Clouds Hut was closed in mid-September, right when I was thinking about trying to talk my wife into letting me go hike The Whites. Anyone know what's going on?

Roland
02-13-2006, 20:53
I was just perusing the AMC hut reservation pages and noticed that The Lake of the Clouds Hut was closed in mid-September, right when I was thinking about trying to talk my wife into letting me go hike The Whites. Anyone know what's going on?
The more exposed huts, Madison and Lakes, usually close by mid September. Other, lower elevation, full-service huts stay open later in the season; usually through October.

weary
02-14-2006, 00:00
The more exposed huts, Madison and Lakes, usually close by mid September. Other, lower elevation, full-service huts stay open later in the season; usually through October.
Three are open year round, though LOnesome Lake and Zealand in the winter are on a Caretaker basis. (You carry and cook your own food, using AMC dishes and stoves and ovens.) Carter Notch is caretaker year round.

Sly
02-14-2006, 00:04
I hiked southbound to Madison Hut, when I thought it was closed, planning on staying in the small foyer. However there was a care-taker closing the place and he sent me down to the Valley Way campsites even though I told him I thought I hurt my knee. A few weeks later when I was off the trail with an injury future aggravated by the extra hiking I read on the Trailplace journals how the caretaker allowed another thru-hiker to stay inside if he washed dishes.

Next time though I may just camp out front regardless of any "croo".

Roland
02-14-2006, 00:07
Three are open year round, though LOnesome Lake and Zealand in the winter are on a Caretaker basis. (You carry and cook your own food, using AMC dishes and stoves and ovens.) Carter Notch is caretaker year round.
Yes, that's true, Weary.

Any idea how many years Madison and Lakes have been closing the third weekend of September?

weary
02-14-2006, 00:22
Yes, that's true, Weary.

Any idea how many years Madison and Lakes have been closing the third weekend of September?
Years and years, I think. Maybe forever. I know they closed around the 16th in 1993, because I was there, staying two nights at Lakes because of an early snow and heavy winds, and closing Madison when the weather cleared.

Roland
02-14-2006, 00:25
Years and years, I think. Maybe forever. I know they closed around the 16th in 1993, because I was there, staying two nights at Lakes because of an early snow and heavy winds, and closing Madison when the weather cleared.

I just checked the 1972 guidebook. September 15th is listed as the closing date. It has been years and years.

JimSproul
02-14-2006, 09:55
People from northern NH can tell you that Mt Washington and its kin can get dangerous in a hurry anytime of year. Hiking the Whites in the fall is beatiful but make sure you carry enough gear to handle very cold conditions with possible ice and snow thrown in.

I believe the "dungeon" under Lake of the Clouds stays unlocked year round.

Kerosene
02-14-2006, 10:12
I believe the "dungeon" under Lake of the Clouds stays unlocked year round.Can anyone verify this?

Tim Rich
02-14-2006, 11:50
We section hiked the Whites in 2001, staying only at huts. It was great to experience the Whites with a smaller and lighter pack. Our itinerary and approximate mileages were:

Kinsman Notch to Lonesome Lake Hut - 14 miles
L Lake to Greenleaf - 9 miles
Greenleaf to Galehead - 7 miles
Galehead to Mizpah - 21 miles
Mizpah to Lakes of the Clouds - 5 miles
Lakes to Pinham Notch - 15 miles
Pinkham Notch to Gorham - 21 miles

The mileages may be off, so please doublecheck the mileages in the Data Book. The Greenleaf to Galehead walk was in horrible rain and wind, then it cleared off the next several days for spectacular weather and views. We originally planned to go Galehead - Crawford Notch - Lakes, but when we got to Zealand Falls Hut they radioed up and found there were openings at Mizpah for us, so we pushed on. That gave us just a 5 mile walk the next day to Lakes in tremendous weather. We dropped our packs at Lakes and went on to the summit and a couple of other walks to explore the area. We went in late July, and it was 34 degrees at Lakes the morning we stayed there. We slackpacked the last day from Pinkham to Gorham, but it was still a tough hike in the rain.

Of all of our section hikes, this one was far and away the most expensive. We did get a discount for multiple night stays. We were fortunate to hit the weather just right above treeline, and our hut experiences were memorable.

Take Care,

Tim

Roland
02-14-2006, 12:01
Can anyone verify this? Kerosene,

Yes, the refuge room is accessible after the hut closes for the season. However AMC stresses that it be used for emergencies only, and not as a destination. My sense is that this practice is not adhered to, and that the dungeon gets steady use. Given the few people it can accommodate, it may not be wise to expect room will be available, especially on weekends.

There are other options if you are planning a Presi-traverse in late September. Mizpah Spring Hut is open until late October. Also, Randolph Mountain Club operates several cabins in the Northern Presidentials, that are open year-round. Crag Camp, with exceptional views, is little more than a mile off the ridge. Gray Knob and The Perch about the same distance off the Trail. Check the RMC website: www.randolphmountainclub.org (http://www.randolphmountainclub.org)

Kerosene
02-14-2006, 12:56
Thanks, Roland.

stephanie
02-14-2006, 18:34
Thank you so much. This was the type of info that I was looking for.