PDA

View Full Version : Bear canister

BowGal
03-19-2018, 08:00
I’ve read a few posts regarding bear canisters on the AT, that a canister is only needed for a very small portion. And, more than one person has said it’s not worth the extra weight. Indulge me for a second...

I have a new pack - ULA Circuit...designed for a bear canister.
My base weight is 17 lbs. and total pack weight including food and water for 4 days is 29 lbs.
I realize adding a bear canister will add about two pounds...so I’d be up to 31 lbs. (less weight of bear bag, carabiner and rope)

Why I’m considering a canister, is the ease of not having to hang my food. I have zero problems hanging food, but like the idea of not having to string food up when it’s pouring rain or cold. Wouldn’t have to carry the bear bag, rope and carabiner.
Plus, the container can act as a seat...small benefit, but nice.

I know you experienced thru hikers will say it’s unncessary to carry one. Is that strictly because of added weight?

Pringles
03-19-2018, 08:06
You should always carry some rope/cord for safety, and/or to jerry rig stuff.

I also don't like using my canister because it's a pain to get stuff into and out of. But it makes a nice seat.

As with so many things, it's up to you.

Highland Goat
03-19-2018, 08:14
Ultimately this is a very personal question about your ethic. How will you deal with the trade-offs between minimizing your impact and altering your hiking style?

lonehiker
03-19-2018, 08:51
I’ve read a few posts regarding bear canisters on the AT, that a canister is only needed for a very small portion. And, more than one person has said it’s not worth the extra weight. Indulge me for a second...

I have a new pack - ULA Circuit...designed for a bear canister.
My base weight is 17 lbs. and total pack weight including food and water for 4 days is 29 lbs.
I realize adding a bear canister will add about two pounds...so I’d be up to 31 lbs. (less weight of bear bag, carabiner and rope)

Why I’m considering a canister, is the ease of not having to hang my food. I have zero problems hanging food, but like the idea of not having to string food up when it’s pouring rain or cold. Wouldn’t have to carry the bear bag, rope and carabiner.
Plus, the container can act as a seat...small benefit, but nice.

I know you experienced thru hikers will say it’s unncessary to carry one. Is that strictly because of added weight?

Over the years I've pondered this very question. It seems appealing to carry a canister for the very reasons you mention. But, ultimately, unless required, the canister remains home as I opt to save the weight of the can. There are now very lightweight chairs available should you desire something to sit on...

MuddyWaters
03-19-2018, 09:49

Well problem bear areas are not that common for starters.

But if you want to also assess that most thru-hikers are lazy then yes. No one wants to carry more than they have to. And after you hike about a hundred miles with your 31 lb you'll be looking to get rid of that bear canister as well.

You're correct that there are zero drawbacks to carrying one though other than ability to fit it in your pack and weight. There are lots of pseudo benefits, as you have a described.

Deadeye
03-19-2018, 10:47
I, for one, enjoy all of the "pseudo benefits" of carrying one: dry, whole food, constant volume in the pack, no need to hang, etc. So it weighs a day's worth of food, not a big deal. Sooner or later, they will likely be required in many more places.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 11:34
I also have a Circuit and I own a 12" Bearikade canister (just over two pounds). I've only ever used it in the Sierra Nevada and would never take it when not required with the exception of having taken it a couple of times for an overnighter when I wanted to have a "seat" and I took it on training hikes before I used it on the JMT the first time. You're projecting about 29 pounds total pack weight for a four day segment in your Circuit. For me, 30 is about the most I'd want to regularly carry in the Circuit, although I've gone somewhat over 35 pounds for a few days. If I were you, I'd go without the canister to save weight.

MuddyWaters
03-19-2018, 11:43
I wouldnt cry if required everywhere. IlI use mine where required, but with ,that and 8 days food and water my pack still only about 26 lb.

Treebeard#1
03-19-2018, 12:07
I carried a bear canister through lower Virginia because of continued warnings of heavy bear and an occasional aggressive bear. I ran into 2 bears and both ran. I would not carry and haven't since, a bear canister.
I agree that carrying cord is a must. It has multiple uses and is very handy. I always bear bag (rain or shine) and I feel it keeps the chance of a bear encounter low. just my style and opinion.
All the Best!

saltysack
03-19-2018, 12:15
I wouldnt cry if required everywhere. IlI use mine where required, but with ,that and 8 days food and water my pack still only about 26 lb.

Must be carrying dehydrated water....[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-19-2018, 12:22
I also have a Circuit and I own a 12" Bearikade canister (just over two pounds). I've only ever used it in the Sierra Nevada and would never take it when not required with the exception of having taken it a couple of times for an overnighter when I wanted to have a "seat" and I took it on training hikes before I used it on the JMT the first time. You're projecting about 29 pounds total pack weight for a four day segment in your Circuit. For me, 30 is about the most I'd want to regularly carry in the Circuit, although I've gone somewhat over 35 pounds for a few days. If I were you, I'd go without the canister to save weight.

+1....only time I used a Bearikade weekender was on a required trail the JMT....to me it was awkward in the pack and rubbed the carbon stays enough that would be a concern on a long hike...obviously it’s a personal preference but wouldn’t carry one on the AT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllDownhillFromHere
03-19-2018, 12:47
Must be carrying dehydrated water....[emoji23]

With his enormous ... boots.

QiWiz
03-19-2018, 13:11
If a bear canister did not add the weight that it does, everyone would carry one. The lighter the pack, the more enjoyable the hike. If you don't think you can tell the difference, trust me you can.

Mugthumper
03-19-2018, 13:39
It is absolutely wonderful to be hiking the last day or two before a resupply and have your bag not be so bulky and to feel as light as a feather. Doubly so in an area with plentiful water. This is a feeling you give up if you carry a bearcan. I have a bearvault and I love the idea of carrying it for all the reasons you have mentioned. However, it is only the idea that I love, and not the execution of the idea. The bulk is just as much an issue as the weight. A bear can is almost a 5 lb increase for me because it requires me to carry a larger and therefore heavier bag. Sure, it has its positives, dry, unsmooshed easy to find food in a nice package that makes an awesome seat and camp laundry bucket. But I am willing to give that up for 1 simple reason.

It just so easy to sleep with your food.

Setup camp, shovel food in mouth and go straight to bed. No fussing around with other things when all I want to do is sleep.

When bear cables are available I use them, but hanging is absolutely the last thing I want to do after a full day of walking, it is by far my least favorite camp chore.

I do always carry 50' of dynaglyde and a biner but almost never use it. Only once have I encountered a bear I considered to be a problem. It was in Shenandoah about 5 miles off the AT on a side trail to Old Rag. I hiked until dusk right to the park boundary so that I could get an early start the next morning in case of crowds. As soon as I finished setting up my hammock I look out into the trees and about 50 feet away, my headlamp catches this bear's eyes and I realized it had been watching me for some time. It took some hollering but eventually lumbered away. I decided that hanging my food was a good decision. Turns out I was right because I had to run that bear out of my camp half a dozen times that night. It just wouldn't allow me to sleep. I was tired and angry and ready to go to war with this thing. I finally had to gather a pile of rocks so that when he visited the final time I could give him a reason not to come back. I ended up encountering 9 bears in a 24 hour period on that trip and if I recall correctly 17 over 4 day period. I hung my food without incident every other evening.

In high traffic, high risk areas I hang my food. Any other time I sleep with it. I've never had a problem with bears or any other animal otherwise.

Mugthumper
03-19-2018, 13:46
I will mention however, that I do love my bearcans. Not for hiking, but for prehike workouts. I load them with sacks of flour, towels, bottles of water, whatever it takes to get to the certain weight I want to train at and hike up and down my local monument steps. They are perfect. No shifting and they don't cause any extra wear on my packs because you can pad and load it exactly how you want.

Shrewd
03-19-2018, 21:17
A big factor here that not a lot of people talk about is that most thru hikers don’t even bother to hang a bear bag.

Most shelters in Ga and NC have bear cables/boxes.

Bears really aren’t that big an issue. I hung a bag maybe three times? Most nights I hung it from my hammock strap.

I don’t think I saw a single bear bag after....Pennsylvania?

2 pounds might not seem like a lot but after months out there dumping 10 ounces of weight is worthy of a celebration.

The section that requires a canister on the AT is a few miles and most people just walk through it. I was actually forced to camp in it due to a terrible blizzard and an injured buddy. There was even a bear box.

Hanging a dry bag using the pct method takes like 45 seconds once you get used to it.

But hey if you like having a heavy chair, rock on. There was a dude last year named Double Barrel who carried TWO bear canisters.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 21:21
Hanging a dry bag using the pct method takes like 45 seconds once you get used to it.

Provided with the right branch, it is indeed a very easy process to hang a bear bag. I tend to sleep better with my food secured outside my tent, although if I cannot find a proper branch, I feel it is more responsible to keep my food with me than to create problem bears by attempting an inadequate hang or just leaving the food sitting on the ground.

BowGal
03-20-2018, 05:56
To be honest, I hadn’t thought of a bear canister guarding against bears so much.
I had been thinking first off, the simplicity of not having to hang a bear bag. One of the areas where I backpack, there are no bear cables. Even harder to find trees to try and throw a line over.
I would never consider sleeping with my food. As a hunter, an observer of what can go wrong, and common sense tells me one should never have food where they sleep.
Final thought, is keeping critters like raccoons, mice, possums...whatever...from my food.

That’s why I was thinking of the bear canister...but everyone is absolutely correct: why carry an extra 2lbs over the long haul.

blw2
03-20-2018, 06:35
If a bear canister did not add the weight that it does, everyone would carry one. The lighter the pack, the more enjoyable the hike. If you don't think you can tell the difference, trust me you can.
One of the AT vlogers I'm following now did a slack pack section...... I forget who, Amanda Bess maybe.... but after walking with here normal load for a while, this person had an opportunity to slack pack a section using a day pack and carrying I suppose just water and minimal stuff..... it was almost funny the reaction....they said in a very excited way something like "Now I'm starting to understand those ultralighters!" One of those epiphany moments....

Shrewd
03-20-2018, 09:32
One of the AT vlogers I'm following now did a slack pack section...... I forget who, Amanda Bess maybe.... but after walking with here normal load for a while, this person had an opportunity to slack pack a section using a day pack and carrying I suppose just water and minimal stuff..... it was almost funny the reaction....they said in a very excited way something like "Now I'm starting to understand those ultralighters!" One of those epiphany moments....

I can’t overstate how good it feels to walk without the burden of your pack.

I got slacked once in Va and just carried water bottles and some snickers and was literally laughing as I ran downhill.

It made hiking fun again

Venchka
03-20-2018, 14:36
Jennifer Pharr Davis "slacked" the entire AT.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
03-20-2018, 14:43
Jennifer Pharr Davis "slacked" the entire AT.
Wayne

The second time.....

Venchka
03-20-2018, 14:48
The second time.....
Picky.
Wayne