PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my gear

BowGal
03-19-2018, 10:38
Hi again.
Two years ago, I would have never considered asking what others thought of my gear. Then again, my hikes were never more than 5-6 days...6-8x a year where I was t focused on a strenuous test like a thru hike attempt of the AT.
I’m one year away from my attempt, and while I think I’ve done a fairly good job of putting together a gear list, I am open to suggestions. I’ve never hiked more than 60 miles in a week...so this will be totally new. This summer I’ll be doing many multi day hikes including a couple hikes of the Coastal Trail in Ontario...which is 120km.

Here is my gear list...it’s mostly complete. I know there maybe a few comments about a few items. Specifically:
Inreach Explorer - as I’ll be in U.S. alone...no family or friends...and 1,500 miles away from home...I need those back in Canada to know I’m ok.
Nanospikes - I’ve gone back and forth on these, but watching Youtube videos of the winter conditions especially in the Smokies...well, I want them. I can always send them home.

https://lighterpack.com/r/7kdpc0

lonehiker
03-19-2018, 10:48
Just a comment on the nanospikes. If you start on a reasonable date you will not need them.

lonehiker
03-19-2018, 11:03
I normally don't look at peoples gear lists. But, your gear list looks fine. Probably a few more clothes/socks than I would carry but you will figure out what you really need rather quickly. You mention that you've done 5-6 day trips before. This will simply be a string of that type of trip. The only thing different for me on a thru type hike vs a long backpacking trip is usually just the recharge/battery component and additional maps/guidebook pages. Otherwise what would be different?

I don't see toilet paper on your list.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-19-2018, 11:10
I avoid lighterpack, but I imagine your list is pretty standard. The big thing is to remain flexible, and utilize the (relatively) cheap USPS, people at home, and places like Amazon. Or simply hiker box something. There's no point in carrying gear you're not using, or being miserable because you're missing something. It's not like you're on a 6 month expedition with no support.

Feral Bill
03-19-2018, 11:11
It looks like some items are listed in more than one category. If not I'd consider ditching some duplicates.

BuckeyeBill
03-19-2018, 11:26
What Feral Bill said. You have your Buff listed twice and a different weights. Your FAK is light, I would add a small tube of Super Glue for closing wounds. Also what is the tennis ball for?

BowGal
03-19-2018, 11:42
Ty for the comments thus far.
Lonehiker - I’m planning for mid February. I’m only wanting the spikes as I’ve seen very icy conditions...albeit maybe only for a week or so.
My list includes 3 pairs of socks - Toe sock/liner + darn tough that I hike in, another pair to alternate the next day. The third pair is a looser sock to sleep in.
As for T.P., I ordered Wysi wipes? They’re small compressible wipes the size of a pill. They’re light, take up very little room. I figure a handful of those...then out rest in bounce box.

BuckeyeBill - yes, I do have buffs listed twice. Thought if I lost one.
I’ll pick up a super glue...good idea.
Tennis ball is only listed for rolling out muscles. I see others with gadgets, but felt I could go more compact with just a ball. Good for rolling thighs...and bottoms of feet.

FeralBill - I do have duplicates like base layer x2. I thought one pair for hiking, other for sleeping in. Or do need just one pair?
Second buff I can eliminate

Slo-go'en
03-19-2018, 11:44
Tennis ball can be used to massage leg muscles and feet, although a golf ball is better for the feet. You can also use it to play fetch with an annoying dog.

On a long hike I carry about a pound of extra odds and ends which might be handy to have at times, like a little sew kit, USB battery/charger, scissors, nail clippers, Liquid Bandage for blisters and such.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 11:45
I personally like a set of sleep clothes. It keeps my sleeping bag cleaner and is nice to have something dry and clean-ish to get into in camp and to sleep in. Also, I often use my sleep clothes to change into before going into "civilization" or hitching a ride after a section after cleaning up a little.

Anyone who really wants to go super UL will ditch the sleep layers, however. It's worth the ~10 ounces or so for me.

lonehiker
03-19-2018, 11:54
Hi again.
Two years ago, I would have never considered asking what others thought of my gear. Then again, my hikes were never more than 5-6 days...6-8x a year where I was t focused on a strenuous test like a thru hike attempt of the AT.
I’m one year away from my attempt, and while I think I’ve done a fairly good job of putting together a gear list, I am open to suggestions. I’ve never hiked more than 60 miles in a week...so this will be totally new. This summer I’ll be doing many multi day hikes including a couple hikes of the Coastal Trail in Ontario...which is 120km.

https://lighterpack.com/r/7kdpc0

5-6 day trips 6-8 times a year! You are 1/3 of the way there. Don't over complicate this.

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 12:04
I think you'll experience wet cold feet and cold in the Rev 20* quilt sleep system.

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 12:17
I think you'll experience wet cold feet and cold in the Rev 20* quilt sleep system.

Show me I'm wrong. Tell me what you're going to do if when this occurs. How are you going to prevent it?

Shrewd
03-19-2018, 12:23
That’s a fine list, you’ll be ok.

Bring the spikes if you’re worried and mail me home later.

You’re bringing redundancies but I have a bunch I won’t be able to talk you out of them.

After a couple weeks you’ll know what works and after a few months you’ll laugh at how differently you looked at Gear now.

Don’t bring the esbit stove.

Swapping pairs of socks is kinda useless because then you’ll just have two pair of dirty socks. I carried 3 pair also; 1 sleep 2 hiking but hardly ever used the second hiking pair unless it was a day I was walking into town or just really needed a morale boost.

Carrying extra of anything “in case you lose it” is kinda just wrong unless it’s an emergency item. You can always get another at the next town.

If it’s in your budget you could go lighter with your tent. If not that one will work fine.

Don’t sweat it too much, just get on out there and it’ll work itself out

BowGal
03-19-2018, 13:03

Well, my sleep pad is R3.2. Quilt is 850 down, rated for 20F. Every video I’ve seen comparing quilt to down sleeping bag is that you’re carrying extra weight of a sleeping bag with little benefit. Plus, I don’t like being all twisted in a sleeping bag.

BowGal
03-19-2018, 13:10
So I’m ditching:
Esbit stove 142g
Nanospikes 224g
2nd buff 42g

While I’d love to entertain getting a lighter tent, my Marmot 2P UL is only two years old. I love the extra room inside...don’t feel cocooned like a 1P.
Looked seriously at a hammock system, but I got panic attacks looking at the knots, rope...I’m not good with that...especially if I have cold hands.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 13:23
Well, my sleep pad is R3.2. Quilt is 850 down, rated for 20F. Every video I’ve seen comparing quilt to down sleeping bag is that you’re carrying extra weight of a sleeping bag with little benefit. Plus, I don’t like being all twisted in a sleeping bag.
I have the Revelation 30F but I wouldn't push it down to that rating. I think that the rating is optimistic . In fact I'm taking my zpacks 10F quilt on a trip this week where the low temps are expected to be around 30. But Much depends on how cold you sleep. Women typically require a warmer bag than men. Starting in mid February is full winter conditions and temps could easily get well below 20F.

Venchka
03-19-2018, 13:26

Show me I'm wrong. Tell me what you're going to do if when this occurs. How are you going to prevent it?
In February and March? I totally agree.
Convince us that you are the lone woman on earth who sleeps hot.
2018 has been a year of knee to waist deep snow. That may have only been a day or two. However, spikes are pretty useless in deep snow.
Someone could make a few bucks renting snowshoes.
Your experience is much better than most folks starting the AT. Shucks, you’re ready for the CDT.
Wayne

BowGal
03-19-2018, 13:26
I have the Revelation 30F but I wouldn't push it down to that rating. I think that the rating is optimistic . In fact I'm taking my zpacks 10F quilt on a trip this week where the low temps are expected to be around 30. But Much depends on how cold you sleep. Women typically require a warmer bag than men. Starting in mid February is full winter conditions and temps could easily get well below 20F.

Yeah, I’ve been reading of the cold temps...almost single digits.
I really don’t want to look at another system as my new quilt hasn’t been used yet. Would a silk liner or other sleeping bag liner help? Really hate to use one as I get all twisted in them.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 13:30
Yeah, I’ve been reading of the cold temps...almost single digits.
I really don’t want to look at another system as my new quilt hasn’t been used yet. Would a silk liner or other sleeping bag liner help? Really hate to use one as I get all twisted in them.
One idea I had (but haven't acted on) to extend my 30F Revelation is to purchase down pants. My thinking was that down pants, coupled with my Montbell down parka, could possibly extend my quilt at least down to its rating of 30F or possibly into the mid 20s. I contacted GooseFeet gear and they were helpful and quoted me a price (I believe around $160).

I can't use liners myself because I get all twisted up in them. And I'm not sure they add that much warmth.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the Revelation is a great quilt and I like mine but I'd probably carry a 10F if I expected temps down to 20F. In other words, maybe add 10 degrees to the advertised rating to get to a "comfort" rating. I think that would be worth the extra weight penalty. If your Revelation has never been used then maybe they would exchange it for a 10F?

T.S.Kobzol
03-19-2018, 13:35
I would leave at home:
bear hanging kit (put your food bag in your sleeping bag with you) - not a current popular choice so disregard if too extreme
tennis ball
footprint
trowel
sawyer gravity filter

I would take the nanospikes and send them home after Smokies

BowGal
2018 has been a year of knee to waist deep snow. That may have only been a day or two. However, spikes are pretty useless in deep snow.
Someone could make a few bucks renting snowshoes.
Your experience is much better than most folks starting the AT. Shucks, you’re ready for the CDT.
Wayne

Lol...it’s in our DNA for those of us who live in Northern Ontario. We’ll snowshoe and even hunt at -35C...so cold, wind, blustery weather is the norm. Where I die is humidity...any temps over 80F

Venchka
Propaganda spread by the quilt industry.
R-5 sleeping insulation.
If you get twisted up in a sleeping bag you are in the wrong bag.
850 Down has ZERO effect on how warm the quilt is. How many 15 F degree nights have you spent in your sleep system? Single digit nights in February and March are not uncommon. 33 F degrees and multiple days of rain and wind are equally common and far more uncomfortable than mid-teens, still and dry.
Be dry. Be warm. Be safe.
Wayne

BowGal
03-19-2018, 13:42
I would leave at home:
bear hanging kit (put your food bag in your sleeping bag with you) - not a current popular choice so disregard if too extreme
tennis ball
footprint
trowel
sawyer gravity filter

I would take the nanospikes and send them home after Smokies
I agree about the nanospikes and tennis ball.

As I’m really not wanting to stay in the shelters (miserable if I don’t sleep well due to snorers...even with ear plugs), I’m keen to try tenting as much as possible. I’ve perfected a way to setup my tent in the rain, but need the footprint to hold the cross poles in place. I then put on the outside fly (stored on outside of my pack). Now that I have coverage from rain, I can go inside and put up the tent without getting soaked.

T.S.Kobzol
03-19-2018, 13:46
Good strategy with the footprint - I agree . Also, I suppose, cowboy camping you won't have to unpack your tent at all. Just pop open the footprint, throw your mattress and quilt on it and you're all set.

I agree about the nanospikes and tennis ball.

As I’m really not wanting to stay in the shelters (miserable if I don’t sleep well due to snorers...even with ear plugs), I’m keen to try tenting as much as possible. I’ve perfected a way to setup my tent in the rain, but need the footprint to hold the cross poles in place. I then put on the outside fly (stored on outside of my pack). Now that I have coverage from rain, I can go inside and put up the tent without getting soaked.

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 14:08
http://www.eathomas.com/2017/05/03/tips-to-keeping-feet-happy-in-the-snow/

She has been around the block in more diverse conditions than quite a few others. She has a great system for keeping feet warm and dry when its really cold and when facing a high likelihood of slush, wetness, and snow travel.

What I would find a quite acceptable option for a mid Feb AT NOBO start using Altra Neoshells is carrying two pr of hiking socks one a wool pr of calf length height of mid to heavy wt but can be rolled down if warmer weather and the second a Seal Skinz or Hanz or something similar. Taking multiple pairs of socks taking this approach for the mid Feb start is not just about swapping out for dirty sock reasons but swapping out socks with different traits to meet different conditions. I'd argue that's not redundancy that's diversity!

AllDownhillFromHere
03-19-2018, 14:54
Good strategy with the footprint - I agree . Also, I suppose, cowboy camping you won't have to unpack your tent at all. Just pop open the footprint, throw your mattress and quilt on it and you're all set.
Cowboy camping might be rough on the AT, it's awfully damp in places.

T.S.Kobzol
03-19-2018, 15:27
Understood - although putting the groundcloth down in shelters before the sleeping pad is also a good idea (even though the OP wants to avoid shelters (and I agree) )

But soon it will get better for the AT thruhikers and cowboy camping will be a possibility in some situations

Cowboy camping might be rough on the AT, it's awfully damp in places.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-19-2018, 15:44
Understood - although putting the groundcloth down in shelters before the sleeping pad is also a good idea (even though the OP wants to avoid shelters (and I agree) )
But soon it will get better for the AT thruhikers and cowboy camping will be a possibility in some situations
Sorry, when is it not humid, buggy, or cold on the east coast?

Coffee
03-19-2018, 15:48
SNP is often beautiful with clear skies, low humidity, and moderate temps from mid April through May, although I've never cowboy camped in the east either. Actually also the same for October through mid November in SNP.

T.S.Kobzol
03-19-2018, 15:58
I can talk about Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont - It is more often NOT humid than humid, it is not cold starting in late May, There are spots that don't have mosquitoe infestation; black flies don't bite at night

JC13
03-19-2018, 16:46
You could look into sending the quilt back for overstuff or lighter than a liner potentially would be to buy a summer quilt to layer over the Rev in case of cold temps. Potentially even keep it once the heat sets in. The extra quilt is extra $$$ but a 50* Long/Wide EE Enigma is 11.47 oz and would give you another 20* per EE. Depending on the size of your Rev, you probably don't need a L/W.

Just food for thought.

Venchka
03-19-2018, 17:38
The Connecticut River valley at Holyoke, MA rivals New Orleans for miserable weather in July and August.
Although climate change may have worsened the heat and humidity in western Massachusetts.
Wayne

Coffee
03-19-2018, 18:46
The Connecticut River valley at Holyoke, MA rivals New Orleans for miserable weather in July and August.

Um .... New Orleans in July and August is epic in terms of weather misery, order of magnitude worse than DC - to be avoided at all costs, preferably by being in the High Sierra or Colorado ...

I've never been to the Connecticut River valley, however...

Venchka
03-19-2018, 19:11
Um .... New Orleans in July and August is epic in terms of weather misery, order of magnitude worse than DC - to be avoided at all costs, preferably by being in the High Sierra or Colorado ...

I've never been to the Connecticut River valley, however...
We lived there for 5 years. The heat and humidity was grim for about 6 weeks.
New Orleans for 35 years followed by 10 years in Houston. Nice weather occurred on a few days most years.
Wayne

Coffee
03-19-2018, 19:25
New Orleans for 35 years followed by 10 years in Houston. Nice weather occurred on a few days most years.

Finishing up first year in New Orleans, suffice it to say that weather is not the main attraction... lol.

Venchka
03-19-2018, 19:36
Finishing up first year in New Orleans, suffice it to say that weather is not the main attraction... lol.
My condolences. Before New Orleans I lived in Lafayette. You’ll understand why I have been going west since 1964 whenever possible.
Wayne

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 19:47
Lol...it’s in our DNA for those of us who live in Northern Ontario. We’ll snowshoe and even hunt at -35C...so cold, wind, blustery weather is the norm. Where I die is humidity...any temps over 80F

Feelin a cool breeze itinerary for you Nina.

http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/52324-Looking-for-inputs-about-the-quot-Cool-Breeze-quot-flip-flop-route

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/57508-Cool-Breeze-Itinerary

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/52324-Looking-for-inputs-about-the-quot-Cool-Breeze-quot-flip-flop-route

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/16251

Coffee
03-19-2018, 20:00
My condolences. Before New Orleans I lived in Lafayette. You’ll understand why I have been going west since 1964 whenever possible.
Wayne
Live music makes up for part of it but I'll be on the JMT/PCT for a month in August ... the west is the best.

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 20:04
... the west is the best.

Do you really want to go down that road? You already ticked off the quilt cheerleaders today.

The AT east coast WB hit men will be after ya.

Shrewd
03-19-2018, 20:12
So I’m ditching:
Esbit stove 142g
Nanospikes 224g
2nd buff 42g

While I’d love to entertain getting a lighter tent, my Marmot 2P UL is only two years old. I love the extra room inside...don’t feel cocooned like a 1P.
Looked seriously at a hammock system, but I got panic attacks looking at the knots, rope...I’m not good with that...especially if I have cold hands.

Dude message me; I hammocked the whole trail last year and it was awesome.

I did not tie knots.

Coffee
03-19-2018, 20:21
Do you really want to go down that road? You already ticked off the quilt cheerleaders today.
The AT east coast WB hit men will be after ya.

Oh, I love the AT as well, don't get me wrong. But for me being up over 10,000 feet ... can't beat it! And most of the AT is hot/humid in summer so it wouldn't be much of an escape for me...

BowGal
03-19-2018, 20:23
Dude message me; I hammocked the whole trail last year and it was awesome.

I did not tie knots.

Dude??????

Shrewd
03-19-2018, 21:03
Dude??????

I use dude as more a gender inspecific reactive.

Anyway, who cares, let me know if you have hammock questions

Dogwood
03-19-2018, 21:28
Triggered. Stop while you're still able to climb out of the hole you've dug. Take it from a ditch digger himself.

Gender inspecific reactive? Best I've heard all day. :D

Sandy of PA
03-19-2018, 21:30
Those little "pill" wipes require a fair bit of water to rehydrate and are NOT biodegradable so must be packed out. May want to reconsider TP. Test before taking only the wipes.

Shrewd
03-19-2018, 23:02
Wipes are awesome for hygiene; less awesome as pure TP. You’ll have to pack those out.

Also, dealing with a bounce box totally sucks.

T.S.Kobzol
03-20-2018, 05:12
Those little "pill" wipes require a fair bit of water to rehydrate and are NOT biodegradable so must be packed out. May want to reconsider TP. Test before taking only the wipes.

I don't know which ones she bought but the ones I bought ARE biodegradable EZ Towel with New Durable Tube and Packaging, 50 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWQY40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0.mSAbK9M8QGC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowGal
03-20-2018, 06:05
I watched a YouTube video of a guy testing the Wysi wipes. He dipped one of the tabs in water for less than 1 sec.

T.S.Kobzol
03-20-2018, 07:01
Yes, they are easy to unfurl. You could probably wipe them on the morning dew resting on the rhododendron leaves in the morning to moisten them enough to unfurl. :-)

I watched a YouTube video of a guy testing the Wysi wipes. He dipped one of the tabs in water for less than 1 sec.

capehiker
03-20-2018, 09:24
Is there a specific reason for a February start? A member on here (Map Man) has compiled a whole bunch of data that shows the statistically best odds to complete a thru hike is to begin in late March to early April. If you were to start later, your sleep system would be fine and you wouldnt need micro spikes. You’ve got a good kit already- no need to spend money on more gear if you just adjusted your start date.

Shrewd
03-20-2018, 09:29
Even the wipes that say they’re biodegradable aren’t really. It usually means they’ll degrade in like 2 thousand years instead of 10k

Just don’t put ten in a privy; some poor hardy soul has to fetch them out

Venchka
03-20-2018, 10:45
How about a real world gear comparison from a lady who’s been there and done that?
Erin “Wired” Saver:
“After a thorough audit of my gear list by professional accountant Buck-30, it was concluded that my routine base pack weight (BPW) is 13lbs 10oz. By no means is that ultralight, but it is lightweight, and it is honest (even to include the weight of credit cards and cash).”
I’m not suggesting imitation. I just wanted to point out that single digit pack weight isn’t REQUIRED for hiking bliss.
Have fun!
Wayne

john844
03-20-2018, 12:46
Live music makes up for part of it but I'll be on the JMT/PCT for a month in August ... the west is the best.

I start JMT from Cottonwood Pass on the 5th. When/where are you starting?

Maineiac64
03-21-2018, 06:41

Wayne
Why are we taking such a challenging tone with this hiker?

A rev 20 is notoriuos for being an optimistic rating, in the last few months EE started adding more down because of the complaints. I personally like a bag better for the colder temps, like a western mountaineering alpinelite and then switch to a rev 30 once it warms up.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-21-2018, 09:32
Why are we taking such a challenging tone with this hiker?

Because it's Whiteblaze, where "Because you're stupid" is always one of the answers.

John M
03-21-2018, 10:39

Not too often I come across backpackers from Louisiana. I'm just outside of Baton Rouge. I'm used to the summer weather here, not sure I'd survive a winter in the mountain west....

saltysack
03-21-2018, 10:42
I don't know which ones she bought but the ones I bought ARE biodegradable EZ Towel with New Durable Tube and Packaging, 50 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWQY40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0.mSAbK9M8QGC

I’ve used these and they’re ok but not really like wet wipes more ruff textured....also have lil holes in them....

Coffee
03-21-2018, 11:12
Not too often I come across backpackers from Louisiana. I'm just outside of Baton Rouge. I'm used to the summer weather here, not sure I'd survive a winter in the mountain west....

No local trails here suitable for backpacking, and definitely not without a vehicle. I lived in the DC area for 15 years and way more options there and a very active local backpacking community as well as groups that did day hikes from the city with rented bus, etc. And of course, HF was accessible by train. Before that I lived in the Sierra Nevada foothills. But all areas have their upsides and downsides. Still have family in Northern VA and get out there from time to time.

BowGal
03-21-2018, 11:21
Is there a specific reason for a February start? A member on here (Map Man) has compiled a whole bunch of data that shows the statistically best odds to complete a thru hike is to begin in late March to early April. If you were to start later, your sleep system would be fine and you wouldnt need micro spikes. You’ve got a good kit already- no need to spend money on more gear if you just adjusted your start date.

No real reason to start early, other than I read about he dread of hiker bubble. I don’t see it so much a problem for me as I hope to avoid shelters and tent it.
I do know I cannot push my start too far into April as I can only stay in the US for 182 days.
When you subtract travel days to get from where we live to Georgia (3 day drive at 8 hrs a day), taking a zero every two weeks, it leaves me with about 165 days to hike. That means I must average 13 miles a day.

Zed
03-21-2018, 11:43
No real reason to start early, other than I read about he dread of hiker bubble. I don’t see it so much a problem for me as I hope to avoid shelters and tent it.
I do know I cannot push my start too far into April as I can only stay in the US for 182 days.
When you subtract travel days to get from where we live to Georgia (3 day drive at 8 hrs a day), taking a zero every two weeks, it leaves me with about 165 days to hike. That means I must average 13 miles a day.

Avoiding the bubble if you tent is easy. I started on April 14 last year and never felt the effects of crowds. I only spent 6 nights in a shelter, choosing instead to hammock between shelters.

I also was by no means fast. I took 176 days and that is counting 13 zeros. And that includes the approach trail. Less than 13.5 miles per day.

lonehiker
03-21-2018, 11:58

It might be easier to average a bit more mileage early on if not contending with weather. For the scope of the entire trail, it is not hard to maintain a moving average of 13 miles a day.

Shrewd
03-21-2018, 12:44
It took me 5 and a half months and I took plenty of short days, and took a whole week off in Philadelphia.

I hiked with a pair of Aussies who in the mid Atlantic took quite a few lazy days and still had time to spare after hitting Katahdin.

I started March 12th and, aside from a few crowded camp sites early on, had no issues with “the bubble.”

The worst of the bubble as when I got off trail to check out Gatlinburg a few days into the Smokies and that was just a **** show. I blame Gatlinburg over hikers; it’s like Hillbilly Vegas.

Damascus was kinda crazy, also.

Of course months later in New York some guy caught up to me and told me all sorts of horror stories about the bubble behind us. I guess I just did a good job of keeping away from that sort of crowd.

It’s always easy to just aim for smaller spots between shelters, if that’s what you’re concerned about.

Feb will be colder, of course, but really the weather is a roll of the dice.

Last year feb the as mild and people were hiking in T Shirts and then we got a blizzard mid March that was single digit cold.

This year all the March starters are getting hammered by winds and rain.

It’s luck of the draw, I suppose.

Shrewd
03-21-2018, 12:46
Regarding mileage, its not a big deal.

By the time summer hit I found myself pushing 25s just because there was so much daylight left I knew I’d get bored if I stopped after 20.

The trail legs will kick in and you’ll be a mountain slaying pizza crushing badass

Dogwood
03-21-2018, 15:52
"...you’ll be a mountain slaying pizza crushing badass"

Is that a technical description? Sounds like something I'd read in a BRO article.

Who says adventure outdoor writing is dead? ;)

Shrewd
03-21-2018, 17:43
I’m hoping that means Blue Ridge Outdoors or some such and not college dude bro, buttttt I’m not optimistic.

Pizza cravings are gender neutral, bruh

rocketsocks
03-21-2018, 18:57
Opinions are like ear holes, everybody’s got two

Dogwood
03-21-2018, 19:34
I’m hoping that means Blue Ridge Outdoors or some such and not college dude bro, buttttt I’m not optimistic.

Pizza cravings are gender neutral, bruh

Of course... bruddah.:D

Venchka
03-21-2018, 20:10
March 21. Boone, NC. Elevation 3,300’. North of Roan Mountain and half the elevation.
Snow day #19 for the grandkids.
My Birthday Blizzard record is unbroken.
Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
All the best to you!
Wayne