PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Vlogs

hikernutcasey
03-19-2018, 12:16
Anyone know of a good YouTube vlog for this year? I am currently following Amanda Bess and would definitely recommend her channel. She is hiking with another hiker who's channel is 3milehikes and his is pretty good as well.

Any other good ones out there?

BowGal
03-19-2018, 13:22
I’m following Captain Blackbeard, Ringo on the Appalachian Trail, Underdog to name a few

T.S.Kobzol
03-19-2018, 13:44
I'm following/stopped following/wish I could follow

I'm following:
Peewee (Amanda Bess) (great)
Underdog (good)
BronsonWalks (not much there yet but promising)
FightForTogether (nuts)
Wheezie and Duck (great)
Average Campers (good)
BateBolt (good)
IntrepiDan (quirky, entertaining but suspect)
ProbationTermination (good)
Trailosophy (good)

Stopped following:
Scoutmaster
Arnie 1 Mile
Grumpy
FarmerFamily (nuts)
the guy that swears a lot (forgot the name already)

Wish I could follow:
Pappy - sadly he doesn't seem to be VLogging

Burrhead
03-19-2018, 14:03
Bohdi Drifter!! By his own admission he is overweight, out of shape and will not hesitate to have a beer and a cigarette when he hits a town. And he is just cruising right along. No idea if he will make it but he is entertaining.

hikernutcasey
03-20-2018, 07:38
Thanks for the suggestion for Wheezie and Duck. I watched their first on trail video and they are so funny. Can't wait to follow along.

swisscross
03-20-2018, 08:24
Sarah and Matt...BackEast
Met them at Gooder Grove hostel.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-20-2018, 14:29
I’m starting on 4/6 - you’ll have to judge for yourself if I’m worth a follow. I think I am! :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQXR8sqgGj3ZnMPuHDlvhaA

Fireball76
03-20-2018, 15:47
I have been following Hot Sauce (Jake Hikes) and PT (Probation Termination). I was following Intrepid Dan but have not seen any videos of his lately.

joefryfry
03-21-2018, 10:17
Jeep, gregp is also good. He was off the trail due to injury but last I knew was on trail.
Amanda Bess is excellent.
Captain Blackbeard is short and sweet, but the last upload had me wondering about his current Tramily.
Ringo is good but I feel he may be missing out on some of the experience of the trail.
I started Bohdi Drifter due to recommendation above. He seems like he is going to be fun to follow.
I have Wheezie and Duck bookmarked to start binging after I catch up with Bohdi Drifter.
Not sure how long youtube has had variable speed playback, but it makes it real easy now to binge and catch up.

Shoestring
http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/569175

nitetrain
03-22-2018, 07:49
thanks for these suggestions

i have been and have stopped following more or less the same list.

how about suggestions on great past vlogs/channels ?

I found Dixie's "Homemade Wanderlust" educational and very entertaining

Thanks

pesphoto
03-22-2018, 09:43
technomadic...

Zed
03-22-2018, 10:28

ThanksLoner2012AT
Sam Ducharme
Neemor
Craig M - Spielberg (the best vlog I've watched)
Early Riser71
John Zahorian

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

MacBrave
03-22-2018, 13:16
Currently just Scoutmaster and Probation Termination.

I tried watching Amanda Bess's first couple of videos, but something about them turned me off. Since others have recommended her perhaps it is time for another try.

joefryfry
03-27-2018, 07:08
It seems like the vlogs mentioned here are all early starting hikers. I am caught up with the ones I am following. It would be nice to keep this thread updated with some of the good vloggers recently departed or departing soon.

blw2
03-27-2018, 07:31
I know what you mean Macbrave. I've been following PeeWee. I don't know.... the huge emotional swings are hard to watch....real I suppose which is good, but hard sometimes for me.

I'm following:
Underdog (good)
FightForTogether (nuts)
Wheezie and Duck (great)
Average Campers (good)
BateBolt (good)
Trailosophy (good)

Stopped following:
Scoutmaster
Arnie 1 Mile
Grumpy
FarmerFamily (nuts)

Wish I could follow:

I'm following some of those....

I almost stooped watch Scoutmaster too, but kept going and I'm sorta glad I did.
IntrepiDan - yeah, suspect..... but funny.
I had to stop Trailosophy and Arnie1Mile....& I want to stop the cussing guy, ibtat....I really don't like cursing so much, but it's like watching a trainwreck or something, and he is funny if you can filter through the f=bombs. I just have to backwash my filter after watching him.

Wikedlonghike
Hike & Tell
Joyful rambler are much more wholesome and palatable for that purpose.

I'm really looking forward to evan's backpacking videos getting started. I stumbled across his channel when researching the BMT a while back and have really enjoyed his videos. I think he's planning to start soon.

Darwin on the trail is supposed to be starting the PCT soon. Not sure if I'm going to like his video style or not....

blw2
03-27-2018, 07:33
I meant to add.... I find that some are better to watch at 2x speed... the slow talkers, and some faster takers I have to slow down to 1.5 or normal speed.

T.S.Kobzol
03-27-2018, 07:48
it's funny how we come full circle to some of these vloggers. I also resubscribed to scoutmaster after seeing how well he does so far. The mood swings of some vloggers are interesting to me as well as seeing some honest vloggers progress from relative inexperience to gradual competence :-)

I have added 3 Mile Hikes, unsubscribed from Fight for Together, Wheezie and Duck are shaping up nicely and Bronson Walks albeit long winded sometimes is charmingly genuine and I enjoy that.

MacBrave
03-27-2018, 13:45
I'm really looking forward to evan's backpacking videos getting started. I stumbled across his channel when researching the BMT a while back and have really enjoyed his videos. I think he's planning to start soon.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Evan's AT videos as well, he's starting sometime in April. Been watching him for a couple years now. Hope he goes the distance wearing those sandals. :)

WTX2WY
03-28-2018, 00:19

Thanks

I enjoyed The Blackalachian videos from his AT thru hike last year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqMJa5ANHcEdU0Vu8rdC5A/videos

You have to scroll down quite a bit to get to the start of his AT videos, or click on the playlists and he has the first half of his hike there. Most are 2-3 minutes.

joefryfry
03-28-2018, 16:48
I meant to add.... I find that some are better to watch at 2x speed... the slow talkers, and some faster takers I have to slow down to 1.5 or normal speed.

It makes it real easy to keep up with these.

LittleRock
03-29-2018, 10:35
Am I the only one who doesn't understand vlogging? Does anyone read anymore?

JC13
03-29-2018, 10:38
Am I the only one who doesn't understand vlogging? Does anyone read anymore?I like some vlogs and I like some trail journals just depends on the authors ability to tell a story or relay information.

FrogLevel
03-29-2018, 11:48

People do have the ability to do more than one thing at a time, you know.

T.S.Kobzol
03-29-2018, 12:00
in this day and age there are many people who cut the cord with cableTV providers. This does not necessarily mean they stopped watching television however and the substitute for flipping from channel to channel is watching YouTube on a large TV Screen and flipping through channels of favorite vloggers to which they subscribed to.

joefryfry
05-04-2018, 21:16
Any new great vlogs from the later starting hikers?

kestral
05-04-2018, 21:48
Rabid rabbit, jay wanders out, Darwin on the trail and whimsical woman are all vlogging the pct and are worth a look.

Homemade wonderlust is is on the cdt.

I like to to read too, but have really enjoyed the scenery in the videos.

MuddyWaters
05-04-2018, 22:42
I don't understand it.

But I can tell you what ruins all of them.
The moment the person opens their mouth.

Simple slideshow and a few captions would be 100 x better.

BowGal
05-05-2018, 06:07
Yep....Darwin is good...and so is Dixie - Homemade Wanderlust. She’s doing the CDT for her triple crown

FrogLevel
05-05-2018, 20:44
Evan from Evan's backpacking videos is good. He started on April 21 and is already just about to finish the smokies.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TES56/videos

FrogLevel
05-05-2018, 20:47
I don't understand it.

I used to think that before I watched and read about 50 journals and "scenery based" vlogs. After 40 people describe the same trail crossing, the same shelter platform and view I started finding the individual's psyche and personality of the hike just as interesting as the physical trail itself. Like most books or journals there are a lot of vlogs that are awful but when you find one or two who click it can be great following along.

capehiker
05-05-2018, 20:51
Evan from Evan's backpacking videos is good. He started on April 21 and is already just about to finish the smokies.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TES56/videos

I’ve been following him for years. He has a pretty nice backpacking resume which I feel gives him a different perspective on his videos. He does a nice job of keeping the viewer engaged with little tidbits of the trail and less on what a first time thru hiker would talk about.

T.S.Kobzol
05-06-2018, 06:06
I don't understand it.

I think that's another reason why some people like cats and dogs [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaptainkriz
05-06-2018, 08:30
Just started following "Payton Place", looks like he's doing a flip flop: https://www.youtube.com/user/thepaytonsvideos

tommaloney
05-06-2018, 08:43

I'm following:
Underdog (good)
FightForTogether (nuts)
Wheezie and Duck (great)
Average Campers (good)
BateBolt (good)
Trailosophy (good)

Stopped following:
Scoutmaster
Arnie 1 Mile
Grumpy
FarmerFamily (nuts)

Wish I could follow:

Wish I had enough spare time for this...

Durunner
05-06-2018, 11:14
I can't follow much. I caught Scoutmasters though and watch them every now and then, mainly because I think I want to eventually start the same time he does. I'm a winter hiker that can't handle the heat, so I'll need an early start. It would be awesome to be how far along he is, along with some early starters. His videos themselves don't interest me that much though.

Shooting Star
05-06-2018, 22:50
The thing I enjoy about the vlogs is getting to see folks walk trail I've walked. It brings back lots of
good memories and makes me want to get back out doing section trips. Good luck to the vloggers.
Hope they make it all the way...

linus72
05-07-2018, 12:07
Scoutmaster is in CT now, doing great. Wheezy and duck are a great follow, as are Sleeves and Ringo. IBTat and Liz from The Trek are fun for entertainment for sure. You could follow her channel and see him but less of his cursing. Their videos overlap a lot so pick one... BackEast got off trail. Batebolt is also good. You see a lot of the other hikers on each others videos when they bump into each other so that has made it so we have to follow less of them cause you still see them here and there in the others vids.
We were following Hurricanes too but no updates from them in weeks so i dont know.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2018, 03:11
I used to think that before I watched and read about 50 journals and "scenery based" vlogs. After 40 people describe the same trail crossing, the same shelter platform and view I started finding the individual's psyche and personality of the hike just as interesting as the physical trail itself. Like most books or journals there are a lot of vlogs that are awful but when you find one or two who click it can be great following along.
Most are disorganized, ramble about nothing, and have personality of a wet dishrag.
Which is why we all aren't doing the evening news for a living.

They also parrot the same information that they just learned as if they own it and are teaching people. I particularly like the ones that do that that haven't even set foot on a trail yet.

Occassionally there are a few that do a good job. Genuine, personality, don't come across as trying to teach people.

Why anybody would take the time to follow , I have no idea if they don't know them. Not like it hasn't been done a thousa times before. Who has that time? I have no idea how people can film an hour out of their day and edit it and put it together as well while they're hiking or why they would want to. I tend to think pulling out my phone to take a pictures too much hassle sometimes. And other people... Really don't even want to look at your pictures..... So if you got it in your head.... You got it.

T.S.Kobzol
05-08-2018, 05:19
I dropped some, as usual, but picked a couple of fun ones.

Picked up :Baskets on cdt, the whimsical woman on PCT and Dixie on cdt

So, in case anyone cares, here is my active outdoors lineup:
Hiking:
Dixie
Wheezie and Duck
The Whimsical Woman
Baskets
The Average Campers

Biking:
Iohan Gueorgiev
I like to ride my bike
Fred and Sveta
Bicycle Touring Pro

On snooze or out of season:
Lure of the north
Erik normark
Amanda Bess
Ib tat
Shug
Gabriel Traveller

hikernutcasey
05-08-2018, 08:59
Most are disorganized, ramble about nothing, and have personality of a wet dishrag.
Which is why we all aren't doing the evening news for a living.

They also parrot the same information that they just learned as if they own it and are teaching people. I particularly like the ones that do that that haven't even set foot on a trail yet.

Occassionally there are a few that do a good job. Genuine, personality, don't come across as trying to teach people.

Why anybody would take the time to follow , I have no idea if they don't know them. Not like it hasn't been done a thousa times before. Who has that time? I have no idea how people can film an hour out of their day and edit it and put it together as well while they're hiking or why they would want to. I tend to think pulling out my phone to take a pictures too much hassle sometimes. And other people... Really don't even want to look at your pictures..... So if you got it in your head.... You got it.No offense but you sound like a grumpy old man. If it's not for you fine but why rain on everyone else's parade? While I agree with some of what you said, i.e. the majority of the vlogs aren't the best, you do occasionally come across one or two that are great and really fun to watch. As others have said, I love the memories it brings to mind seeing the things and places I have been. Also, because I'm a section hiker and still have about 1/3 of the trail left to do I love to see some of the places I haven't been yet and it gets me excited about my next trip.

I typically whittle my list down to 2 or 3 that I enjoy watching and as for the time it takes to watch, most do not post every single day and even if they do most videos are only 10 to 20 minutes long. I would much rather watch this than the crap on my television. Oh and I do read as well. It's not like you cannot do both for entertainment. To each their own.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2018, 09:18
No offense but you sound like a grumpy old man. If it's not for you fine but why rain on everyone else's parade? While I agree with some of what you said, i.e. the majority of the vlogs aren't the best, you do occasionally come across one or two that are great and really fun to watch. As others have said, I love the memories it brings to mind seeing the things and places I have been. Also, because I'm a section hiker and still have about 1/3 of the trail left to do I love to see some of the places I haven't been yet and it gets me excited about my next trip.

I typically whittle my list down to 2 or 3 that I enjoy watching and as for the time it takes to watch, most do not post every single day and even if they do most videos are only 10 to 20 minutes long. I would much rather watch this than the crap on my television. Oh and I do read as well. It's not like you cannot do both for entertainment. To each their own.
Not grumpy.
Probably haven't actually turn the television on to watch it in years.

Don't listen to the radio cuz cannot stand to hear the jackasses in the morning on the commute. Streaming music from your phone is the third best invention of mankind, next to the wheel and bread. I have no idea how radio stations stay in business today. They're mostly just commercials and jackasses talking nonsense. A few weeks ago I tried flipping through radio stations with the scan..... Went through the whole dial...... Not a single song played.... Every Station was commercials. Turned it off.

Able to spend time on the interweb simply because stuck overseas for work, with absolutelya nothing to do on my days off for couple days at a time.

T.S.Kobzol
05-08-2018, 09:35
It's all good. None of us makes it out of here alive and we all have our circumstances. :-)

Not grumpy.

Don't listen to the radio cuz cannot stand to hear the jackasses in the morning on the commute. Streaming music from your phone is the third best invention of mankind, next to the wheel and bread. I have no idea how radio stations stay in business today. They're mostly just commercials and jackasses talking nonsense. A few weeks ago I tried flipping through radio stations with the scan..... Went through the whole dial...... Not a single song played.... Every Station was commercials. Turned it off.

Able to spend time on the interweb simply because stuck overseas for work, with absolutelya nothing to do on my days off for couple days at a time.

hikernutcasey
05-08-2018, 10:09
Not grumpy.

Able to spend time on the interweb simply because stuck overseas for work, with absolutelya nothing to do on my days off for couple days at a time.Hey I can definitely agree with you on the radio. How they get anyone to listen is beyond me. Other than music my other favorite thing to do in the car is listen to Audible. I have really grown to love listening to audio books. Check it out if you have the time.

joefryfry
05-08-2018, 12:13
Jeep, gregp is also good. He was off the trail due to injury but last I knew was on trail. - HE IS OFF THE TRAIL FOR GOOD. ENJOYED HIS VIDEOS. WISH HIM WELL TO FINISH WHEN HE GETS BACK AT IT, PROBABLY NOT THIS YEAR
Amanda Bess is excellent. - NICE GIRL, BUT IT SEEMS HER VIDS ARE MORE ZEROS AND HOSTELS THAN THE TRAIL. THAT MAY BE OKAY FOR SOME, I PREFER A TRAIL FOCUS. SHE IS USUALLY ONE VIDEO A DAY, WHICH I LIKE BETTER THAN EVERY FEW DAYS A VIDEO COMPILATION OF A FEW DAYS.
Captain Blackbeard is short and sweet, but the last upload had me wondering about his current Tramily. - PRETTY REGULAR POSTING, MOVING RIGHT ALONG. NOT FANCY, BUT GOOD IF YOU LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE GET UP THE TRAIL
Ringo is good but I feel he may be missing out on some of the experience of the trail. - MOVING RIGHT ALONG BUT I STILL FEEL HE IS JUST WALKING THE TRAIL BUT MISSING SOME OF THE TRAIL EXPERIENCE LIKE HOSTELS AND THE LIKE
I started Bohdi Drifter due to recommendation above. He seems like he is going to be fun to follow. - I GET A KICK OUT OF THIS GUY, BUT NOT A FAVORITE
I have Wheezie and Duck bookmarked to start binging after I catch up with Bohdi Drifter. - AN ENTERTAINING PAIR BUT SEEM TO PUT A VIDEO OUT ONCE A WEEK OR EVERY FEW DAYS
i HAVE STARTED EVANS BACKPACKING VIDEOS FOR HIS THRU FROM RECOMMENDATION ON HERE. OUTSTANDING VIDEO AND PERSON. WISH HE POSTED DAILY SHORT VIDS BUT HE IS ON THE EVERY FEW DAYS COMPILATION PLAN

capehiker
05-08-2018, 13:22
I prefer the 2-3 day compilation videos over the daily, which is probably from when I vlogged in 2016, it was easier and I didn’t want to feel pressured. My intent was to vlog my way and not conform to the viewers wants. Also- I got messages from viewers who were almost demanding-like, asking when the next video would be up. That really turned me off and I vlogged less and less.

Some vloggers are doing this for intentions of notoriety in which hiking is the vehicle for vlogging. I appreciate the ones like Gary On The AT who just ramble about trail life while hiking and avoid the hipster editing with music and always seem to have drama.

joefryfry
05-08-2018, 16:39
I prefer the 2-3 day compilation videos over the daily, which is probably from when I vlogged in 2016, it was easier and I didn’t want to feel pressured. My intent was to vlog my way and not conform to the viewers wants. Also- I got messages from viewers who were almost demanding-like, asking when the next video would be up. That really turned me off and I vlogged less and less.

Some vloggers are doing this for intentions of notoriety in which hiking is the vehicle for vlogging. I appreciate the ones like Gary On The AT who just ramble about trail life while hiking and avoid the hipster editing with music and always seem to have drama.

10-4. Seems some put some real effort into their editing, which is nice but that must be a good bit of work. I would imagine the every couple days update would be much easier to do. I bet there are people demanding videos to be released. Some of the vloggers, if they don't update, I sit here and think come on already, post an update. But I wouldn't ever actually say that to anyone, that would be silly.

jgillam
05-08-2018, 17:37
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jake Hikes. Nice kid, his videos are short, fun and he has a nice taste in music.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nitetrain
05-25-2018, 22:24
I see Ringo has left the trail, the scout master is banging along.

any updates on good blogs, good i got off the trail stories, anyone finished?

thanks

Carl7
05-26-2018, 08:17
I think Scoutmaster is the furthest north of the vloggers now. He is heading into the Whites. I hope to soon see some good SOBO vloggers as their season is beginning.

Carl7
05-26-2018, 08:44
There are not many CDT vlogs out there. This year I have liked Dixie's and and Basket's VLOGS. wolvraid37np is another CDT vlogger, but has had some audio issues on some of his. However, he has some good CDT content if you can hear through the muffled audio issue. His last few have improved from audio standpoint. He has hiked some with Baskets on and off. Dixie's vlogs have brought trail vlogging to another level with the assistance Arron's technical skills.

FrogLevel
05-26-2018, 14:47
There are not many CDT vlogs out there. This year I have liked Dixie's and and Basket's VLOGS. wolvraid37np is another CDT vlogger, but has had some audio issues on some of his. However, he has some good CDT content if you can hear through the muffled audio issue. His last few have improved from audio standpoint. He has hiked some with Baskets on and off. Dixie's vlogs have brought trail vlogging to another level with the assistance Arron's technical skills.
Si So vlogged his CDT last year. It was very well done.

Carl7
05-26-2018, 21:08
Si So vlogged his CDT last year. It was very well done.

I agree, Si So's CDT vlog last year was very well done.

stephanD
05-30-2018, 10:59
Scoutmaster is by far the best vlogger out there. His commentary is on point, no BS, no self-pity. And i like that he focuses on the trail, and not on himself. He should be in Maine by now or finishing NH.

T.S.Kobzol
05-30-2018, 21:24
Any v loggers hitting Harper's Ferry? I'll be there tomorrow for a short while on my thru of GAP and C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

WTX2WY
05-31-2018, 03:26

Dixie, Baskets, and Conatantine/wolvraid37np are all entertaining. They each bring something different to the narration and filming. Dixie probably has the highest production quality of any trail vlogger. Baskets is just a very observant, appreciative, knowledgeable, beast. And Constantine brings the enthusiasm of someone on their first week on the trail. His sound was awful the through most of NM but seems to have been fixed now. It looks like all 3 of them hit big snow in the south San Juans. None of them have that inexperienced "doing it for the likes and subs" vibe that you find from a lot of the AT and PCT vloggers.

stumpknocker
05-31-2018, 05:55
I have followed a few this year whenever I get a chance.

Amanda Bess. Almost didn't go back after watching her first one, but glad I did. She is fun. I rate her vlog an 8 out of 10.

Sleeves. Just an all around good guy with low key videos. I rate his vlog a 7 out of 10.

Blessings of Adventure. Uncle Paul is a big guy that only made it a short way last year. Hopefully learned from his mistakes and starting over in the next couple months. I think he was 450 lbs when he decided to do the trail. I rate his vlog a 5 out of 10. I watch his because I just want to see him succeed from being fat to being full of life.

Fight For Together. A family of eight (the Crawfords) that are thru hiking. They have by far turned into my favorite. A good, caring family growing together and learning together. They have six beautiful children from 2 years old to 17 years old. I really appreciate watching a family that can actually be a family together. They are moving right up the trail. Best vlog by far for me. Maybe because I came from a family of 9 kids. I rate their vlog a 9 out of 10. I have to thank some "hyoh" people here on WB for guiding me to their YouTube channel a couple months ago.

LittleRock
05-31-2018, 07:40
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Jake Hikes. Nice kid, his videos are short, fun and he has a nice taste in music.
I met him in Shenandoah. He spent about 2 hours trying to start a fire with wet wood for one of his videos. By the time he finally got a good fire going, everyone else had gone to bed.

jgillam
05-31-2018, 07:58
I met him in Shenandoah. He spent about 2 hours trying to start a fire with wet wood for one of his videos. By the time he finally got a good fire going, everyone else had gone to bed.That's the sort of determination that will get him to Katahdin....eventually. [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

T.S.Kobzol
05-31-2018, 11:27
Any v loggers hitting Harper's Ferry? I'll be there tomorrow for a short while on my thru of GAP and C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

Rode through the AT section this morning and saw some bear scat but no hikers [emoji3]

joefryfry
10-06-2018, 22:16
Everyone I had watched NOBO has finished what they're doing for this year. I watched some real good vlogs this summer. Are there any good SOBO vlogs going? I am needing something to watch. I pay for zero TV anymore.