PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking Family of 8 - Your Thoughts?

Pages : 1 [2]

lonehiker
05-02-2018, 10:47
You do-gooders still at it?

kestral
05-02-2018, 12:08
I think the person who gave social services the heads up did it with good intentions out of real concern for the two youngest kids. Social services saw a possible issue and met with the family, after which the family seemed to meet their criteria. I am glad all is well and I wish them luck on their hike. I guess I’m a “do gooder” too, better than a “do nothing”, “don’t bother to become involved”.

i watched some of the videos, Dad seems like a narcissist and I find his voice annoying. Titles of numerous videos are click bait. I enjoy hiking videos, these folks are drama rama oriented. I unsubscribed, too much suck you in drama and then indignation when viewers are sucked into the drama and respond honestly.

Again, the kids and mom seem great, and I wish them all the best on their hike and future endeavors. No I don’t hate men, just find this guy annoying and I choose to avoid this type of video.

lonehiker
05-02-2018, 13:05
I didn't get involved because there was no particular reason to do so. History has born my prudence out. Could I have been wrong, sure. But my acumen comes from my ability to observe things objectively. My gut tells me that those most up in arms about the whole situation had probably formulated an opinion prior to even watching the vlogs. Then when they did watch them (and remember that they represented only about 1% of the families day) they subjectively picked out select items that were offensive to them. Listening to them you would have thought that the kids fingers would be gone by now, he would be physically retarded, need I go on? Even the "flick in the mouth" was overly sensationalized. Watch the vids or don't. It's not noble to do so nor is it noble not to. I am watching them simply because I have enough knowledge about LDH to appreciate what a feat this family is pulling off regardless of how far they go.

Gambit McCrae
05-02-2018, 13:24
I didn't get involved because there was no particular reason to do so. History has born my prudence out. Could I have been wrong, sure. But my acumen comes from my ability to observe things objectively. My gut tells me that those most up in arms about the whole situation had probably formulated an opinion prior to even watching the vlogs. Then when they did watch them (and remember that they represented only about 1% of the families day) they subjectively picked out select items that were offensive to them. Listening to them you would have thought that the kids fingers would be gone by now, he would be physically retarded, need I go on? Even the "flick in the mouth" was overly sensationalized. Watch the vids or don't. It's not noble to do so nor is it noble not to. I am watching them simply because I have enough knowledge about LDH to appreciate what a feat this family is pulling off regardless of how far they go.

Rather be a do gooder than an idiot

stephanD
05-02-2018, 16:04
I think the person who gave social services the heads up did it with good intentions out of real concern for the two youngest kids. Social services saw a possible issue and met with the family, after which the family seemed to meet their criteria. I am glad all is well and I wish them luck on their hike. I guess I’m a “do gooder” too, better than a “do nothing”, “don’t bother to become involved”.

i watched some of the videos, Dad seems like a narcissist and I find his voice annoying. Titles of numerous videos are click bait. I enjoy hiking videos, these folks are drama rama oriented. I unsubscribed, too much suck you in drama and then indignation when viewers are sucked into the drama and respond honestly.

Again, the kids and mom seem great, and I wish them all the best on their hike and future endeavors. No I don’t hate men, just find this guy annoying and I choose to avoid this type of video.

Smartest post so far....:clap

BuckeyeBill
05-02-2018, 16:14
I have always been the kind that less government is the best, however there are times when intervention needs to be done. In this case the father admitted to the "lip flick" which caused the baby to start bleeding. I don't know how hard he did it or if the baby had chapped lips which can start bleeding even with minor irritation. It often said that making assumptions can make an a** out of you and me. I think in this case the right call was made to have someone check to make sure the children were safe and properly dressed for current weather conditions. They evidently found everything in order, as the family was allowed to continue on their trek. I have been involved in many "welfare checks" while in law enforcement. Sometimes are good and others are bad or deadly. While hiking I have also come across adults who are on the verge of hypothermia and without intervention would probably have died. I wouldn't walk pass them nor would I walk pass the family if I thought there were problems. Granted I am not a doctor but I was a trained paramedic and have taken both wilderness first-aid classes and wilderness first responder course. In this situation, better to be safe than sorry especially when a baby is involved.

Uncle Joe
05-02-2018, 17:06
In real life people were worried about the Dad being a danger and in the other scenario a stranger could be a danger. It is OK to call about a stranger but not the Dad? That was my point.

Actually, yes. There's no real indication this Dad is a danger other than he's taking his family on this hike. Which I would speculate is what the caller had an issue with. I stand by my assertion. Someone who should have minded their own business just couldn't help themselves.

rocketsocks
05-02-2018, 17:31
If you see something say something...if I say something do something.

BowGal
05-02-2018, 19:14
I have to say, of the 20 or so thru hikes I’m watching on YouTube, at least this family has dialogue and a story to tell. For all the faults or criticisms that people have of the Crawfords, I’m impressed they’ve made it this far.
So the dad flicked the child? Was it right? Nope. Should we be intervening in how they run their family? Nope.

BowGal
05-02-2018, 19:14
I have to say, of the 20 or so thru hikes I’m watching on YouTube, at least this family has dialogue and a story to tell. For all the faults or criticisms that people have of the Crawfords, I’m impressed they’ve made it this far.
So the dad flicked the child? Was it right? Nope. Should we be intervening in how they run their family? Nope.

Lone Wolf
05-02-2018, 20:25
it's a stunt. move on. nobody cares. i'm not impressed. hikin' the AT is not tough

Uncle Joe
05-02-2018, 22:04
it's a stunt. move on. nobody cares. i'm not impressed. hikin' the AT is not tough

With that many kids? I'd have to disagree. Try going to Walmart with just one! :D

Gambit McCrae
05-03-2018, 09:18

What would a tough trail be? What would make hikin the AT tough?

TexasBob
05-03-2018, 18:16
With that many kids? I'd have to disagree. Try going to Walmart with just one! :D

My daughter is ADHD. Going to Walmart (or any store) with her was always an adventure. :)

gracebowen
05-03-2018, 18:19
Texasbob. Same here.

Vanhalo
05-04-2018, 09:49
My Advice to the Crawfords......HYOH

Gambit McCrae
06-05-2018, 10:35
Crawfords still at it they are in MD/ PA now - Well done family of 8

https://youtu.be/YGAQdX_zcWQ

Slo-go'en
06-05-2018, 13:28
I was at the Johns Hollow shelter on May 9th when they rolled in just before dark. Then saw them hike out about 6:30 AM. Because of their later arrival and early departure, I didn't get to speak to them. It took me 19 days to get to Johns Hollow from Harpers Ferry, so they are moving along at a pretty good clip now. Especially considering they were just getting into the really tough part of VA.

Berserker
06-06-2018, 09:10
Met them at a hotel in Hamburg, PA, and they are still trucking along. Over half way done. Seem like good folks. I wish them good luck on the second half.

LIhikers
07-04-2018, 16:04
I've been watching their video blogs and enjoying them.
They're making good time and even the youngest of the kids seem to be having a good time.
I hope they get to finish before they hit their self imposed deadline in the beginning of August.
Either way they've got an adventure to remember.

Gambit McCrae
07-23-2018, 13:46
Grandma Crawford comes to visit them 1770 miles into their hike, looks like zero LNT principles were passed along to her, she filled up a van full of plants she dug up off the trail, great job granny

https://youtu.be/TgOZhwVUsSg?t=8m52s

Last Call
07-23-2018, 15:04
What is the big black box?

KWColorado
07-23-2018, 16:04
I wish my parents had come up with an adventure like this when I was young. Congrats to the family for making it this far.

Buff
07-30-2018, 10:59
Good for them! I can't image... but still. Good for them!

stumpknocker
08-07-2018, 17:19
Sounds like there are eight new thru hikers as of today according to a post on FB from BSP.

What an amazing adventure for this family!!

By far the most remarkable hike ever of the AT that I am aware of.
They bumped Sherlock and Trek out of my top spots of AT accomplishments.

Thanks to the OP for bringing them to my attention.

TJ aka Teej
08-07-2018, 19:09
Sounds like there are eight new thru hikers as of today according to a post on FB from BSP.
The family followed the rules, the baby didn't summit.

stumpknocker
08-07-2018, 19:34
The family followed the rules, the baby didn't summit.

Yep, there are now eight new thru hikers that followed the rules.
Rainier enjoyed what trail was open to him.

You, of all people here, must be thrilled.
Well, there may be about 90% of other posters in this thread that are just as thrilled.

Again...the greatest accomplishment I've ever known of on the Appalachian Trail as far as hiking the Trail goes.

MuddyWaters
08-07-2018, 22:23
Congratulations to them
Most parents cringe at taking kids to walmart

capehiker
08-07-2018, 23:56
Again...the greatest accomplishment I've ever known of on the Appalachian Trail as far as hiking the Trail goes.

A little theatrical of a statement don’t you think? You believe the Crawford’s hike was a greater achievement than Bill Irwin?

cneill13
08-08-2018, 06:24
So glad they are Done. Yea, they made the newspapers. Yea, they are a youtube publicity seeking couple who exploited their kids for a second of fame. Now that they finished, please don't show that father's face on the internet ever again. It haunts me at night.

rickb
08-08-2018, 06:34
So glad they are Done. Yea, they made the newspapers. Yea, they are a youtube publicity seeking couple who exploited their kids for a second of fame. Now that they finished, please don't show that father's face on the internet ever again. It haunts me at night.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cneill13 https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/showthread.php?p=2217451#post2217451)
I tried watching their videos on YouTube. But that father is so physically revolting, I had to quit. The camera in his face every morning. My gosh. Remember the old captain caveman cartoon? That is him.

Surprised no one took issue with you first post. Hard to let it go by now that you have doubled down.

This kind of stuff is really not cool.

stumpknocker
08-08-2018, 08:05
A little theatrical of a statement don’t you think? You believe the Crawford’s hike was a greater achievement than Bill Irwin?

Well, there you go. Nothing wrong with your reading comprehension.
You quickly figured out my top three choices.

lonehiker
08-08-2018, 08:15
I'm just wondering what holy mission the do-gooders have moved onto now that we know the toddler survived with all of his fingers and toes (and cheeks) and hasn't suffered any permanent damage from his period of inactivity...

capehiker
08-08-2018, 11:03
I'm just wondering what holy mission the do-gooders have moved onto now that we know the toddler survived with all of his fingers and toes (and cheeks) and hasn't suffered any permanent damage from his period of inactivity...

Interestingly (or not), I have been wondering if the 2 year old will have any lower body mechanic issues from sitting in the carrier 6-8 hours a day for several months. Two is a vital age in when children begin to display consistent stride and gate.

greenmtnboy
08-08-2018, 11:53
If they can do it and be real assets to not just themselves but the AT community, fine. Maybe they have learned something about sharing resources, not being the gluttonous consumers Americans are famous for. I saw a family at Trader Joes the other day with a shopping cart for mom, dad, and each of the three kids, blocking the aisles.

The Old Chief
08-08-2018, 15:29
Blind and Deaf man allowed to summit Katahdin, June, 2014:
https://appalachiantrail.com/20140630/victory-deaf-blind-appalachian-trail-hiker/

Mother with 5yr old twins allowed to summit Katahdin, September, 2015:
https://www.dailyprogress.com/appalachian-trail-family/image_02211a1a-6886-11e5-8252-2fd2d7d1b25a.html

Buddy Backpacker given permission to summit Katahdin, September, 2013 (from buddypacker.com):
"That fall, the Baxter State Park Authority granted Christian Thomas with permission to climb Mount Katahdyn. He was the first five-year-old granted permission and, on September 14, 2013, became the youngest person known to summit the peak and complete the entire northern half of the Appalachian Trail."

I guess the Crawfords were not exceptional enough to be exceptions to the rules.

CRC
08-08-2018, 16:46
Interestingly (or not), I have been wondering if the 2 year old will have any lower body mechanic issues from sitting in the carrier 6-8 hours a day for several months. Two is a vital age in when children begin to display consistent stride and gate.

You should watch the youtube video of Rainier going through Mahoosik(sp) Notch. :) There is absolutely nothing wrong with his lower body.

FrogLevel
08-08-2018, 18:47
Good for them.

The parents are still weirdos.

Uncle Joe
08-08-2018, 19:15
Blind and Deaf man allowed to summit Katahdin, June, 2014:
https://appalachiantrail.com/20140630/victory-deaf-blind-appalachian-trail-hiker/
Mother with 5yr old twins allowed to summit Katahdin, September, 2015:
https://www.dailyprogress.com/appalachian-trail-family/image_02211a1a-6886-11e5-8252-2fd2d7d1b25a.html

Buddy Backpacker given permission to summit Katahdin, September, 2013 (from buddypacker.com):
"That fall, the Baxter State Park Authority granted Christian Thomas with permission to climb Mount Katahdyn. He was the first five-year-old granted permission and, on September 14, 2013, became the youngest person known to summit the peak and complete the entire northern half of the Appalachian Trail."
I guess the Crawfords were not exceptional enough to be exceptions to the rules.

So clearly there have been exceptions.

gpburdelljr
08-08-2018, 19:46
So clearly there have been exceptions.
But none for a child in a backpack.

Uncle Joe
08-08-2018, 20:24
But none for a child in a backpack.
Was that the stated reason? I thought it was an age thing.

l0ngterm
08-08-2018, 22:16
I had the pleasure of three days of hiking with them in March. Same camp sites two nights. They were a great family.

Hike your own hike, live your own life.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2018, 20:19
too bad they didn't just walk for the sake of walkin'. the media circus was by design. not impressed

rickb
08-10-2018, 04:42
too bad they didn't just walk for the sake of walkin'. the media circus was by design. not impressed
I expect each member of the family’s motivation was a bit different.

I wonder what BSP’s motivation was when they chose to refer to them as “a couple with a two year old” (no mention of the other 5 kids at all) when complementing them on Facebook on their decision to not break rules.

Better for them not to say anything at all, I think.

i certainly wasn’t holding my breath for a public congratulation, of course. Low key is good.

Some of the 300 Facebook replies were interesting, most not. Good to see Warren Doyle weigh in. It’s been a long time since he wrote his letter from the P County jail.

KWColorado
08-10-2018, 23:43
Amazing achievement, especially for the kids.

TMathers
08-11-2018, 09:36
Meh either way it didn't bother me.
I enjoyed seeing them "summit" and was happy to follow along on there journey.

Rockit Mann
08-11-2018, 15:18
43452 A fascinating viewpoint here in this BPM article submission.

capehiker
08-11-2018, 17:59
43452 A fascinating viewpoint here in this BPM article submission.

What a bloviated piece of hogwash. I can’t believe how narcissistic and pretentious some people are.

Btw- it’s not overlooked as demonstrated by other young children who didnt summit in recent years.

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2018, 11:04
Hogwash is correct - Still waiting for ol Elton here to post something useful - after 55 attempts, null.

flemdawg1
08-25-2018, 20:17
They DID IT!! Suck it haters:banana

T.S.Kobzol
08-25-2018, 20:19
Don't care. Yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
08-25-2018, 21:22
They DID IT!! Suck it haters:banana

ahhh...NO THEY DID NOT. Suck it supporters.

Gambit McCrae
09-19-2018, 15:58
This hike has a $25,000 price tag attached to it

https://youtu.be/9kwJSFMA3_4

George
09-19-2018, 17:16
the media circus was by design.

designed to get handouts - as above it was 25,000 (+ what was given and not counted )

the guy makes 6 kids, has money to get all tatted up - yet wants others to subsidize the 6 month vaca - in other words, about typical - but like I said before, there are many worse things happening to kids than what he did

ADK Walker
09-19-2018, 17:32
designed to get handouts - as above it was 25,000 (+ what was given and not counted )

the guy makes 6 kids, has money to get all tatted up - yet wants others to subsidize the 6 month vaca - in other words, about typical - but like I said before, there are many worse things happening to kids than what he did

Did you even watch the video? He states he had $50,000 budgeted for the hike. Doesn't sound like his initial plan was to be "subsidized" by others.

George
09-19-2018, 17:45

his initial estimate was 50K - that was about right, just the other 1/2 was on handouts - so about 6000 per person, close to average - also said no health insurance, so one hospital stay for 100,000 would have changed things - unless of course he stiffed the hospital

George
09-19-2018, 17:54
Doesn't sound like his initial plan was to be "subsidized" by others.

that "plan" was certainly altered, otherwise would accounts be set up for donations?

the attitude portrayed in the video was that if someone else paid, it did not cost him - no mention of plans to repay that "debt"

when I saw them they were being slacked/ fed by someone - no problem if you give that back/ pay it forward - I see that as unlikely to happen but hopefully it does

Francis Sawyer
09-21-2018, 12:40
I was taught that if I had nothing nice to say I should remain silent. So I shall.

Astro
09-22-2018, 18:42
that "plan" was certainly altered, otherwise would accounts be set up for donations?

the attitude portrayed in the video was that if someone else paid, it did not cost him - no mention of plans to repay that "debt"

when I saw them they were being slacked/ fed by someone - no problem if you give that back/ pay it forward - I see that as unlikely to happen but hopefully it does

Multiple excellent points by George on this page.

rickb
09-22-2018, 19:53
Multiple excellent points by George on this page.

Not really IMO.

They had a Patrean account set up to accept micro donations from those enjoying their YouTube channel, which is hardly unique among bloggers (and generated less than $2000 from many who were entertained by theirs).

They did not monetize it with adds, or campaign for support like so many do with Go Fund Me appeals.

As for their accepting the generosity of others — what is the big deal? They did not pretend to be poor or struggling, but rather shared their finances and 7-figure net worth with the world is painful detail.

Accepting people’s kindness is OK, and affirms that everything we do for one another is not about money.

Most importantly, if they were using the videos to make money any idiot would have found ways to make their family more sympathetic and deserving of help. You don’t tell folk that you are a millionaire if you goal is to get a freebie.

Traveler
09-23-2018, 09:01
Seems to work for 1%.

rickb
09-23-2018, 13:04
his initial estimate was 50K - that was about right, just the other 1/2 was on handouts - so about 6000 per person, close to average - also said no health insurance, so one hospital stay for 100,000 would have changed things - unless of course he stiffed the hospital

Pretty easy to stiff a hospital if you don’t have assets and go bankrupt.

Much harder if you have a relatively high net worth which includes many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of properties (all without a mortgage).

You know, like the Family of Eight shared with the world in great detail.

Infact, the way hospitals bill those without insurance, they would likely end up with more from billing them directly, than they would get from billing private insurance health insurance company— and much more than they would get from someon on Medicare or the like.

George
09-23-2018, 13:22
You don’t tell folk that you are a millionaire if you goal is to get a freebie.

did not watch all the youtubs / was not aware of the economic situation

I have little doubt that many who subsidized the hike also were also not aware of large net worth

in this case my respect for the parents is much less than again:

IMO what is worse than accepting handouts for your recreation from those with less resources than you ( like the TV evangelist soliciting donations from old ladies on social security and paying hookers)

then the last video was pretty much moaning about how much it still cost him ( the half he did not get others to pay for)

BenCrawford
10-16-2018, 15:23
Followed this thread for a while but thought I might respond to a few things.

the guy makes 6 kids, has money to get all tatted up - yet wants others to subsidize the 6 month vaca - in other words, about typical
I'm not sure where George is getting his facts or forming his opinions. We did not design our trip to get handouts. When we left for our trip we had 2 people that had reached out for us to let us stay at their place. One in Damascus and one in North Carolina. We were overjoyed at the thought of this generosity and had not planned on receiving anything else on our entire trip. (we have videos documenting all of this that were published before our trip)
Also, we never asked anyone to subsidize anything. We had plenty of money for all of our expenses and fully planned on paying for all of them.

I have little doubt that many who subsidized the hike also were also not aware of large net worth

in this case my respect for the parents is much less than again:

then the last video was pretty much moaning about how much it still cost him ( the half he did not get others to pay for)
I don't think it's the responsibility of a hiker to make their net worth known to anyone who wants to provide trail magic to them? Do you George? But, for one second let's pretend it was our responsibility. We have more information about our finances available online than anyone I know Including our net-worth, assets/liabilities and monthly income/expenses. Anyone can look it up if they care. Most of the people providing trail magic for us didn't care. I'm not sure why you care so much.

What do you mean "the last video was pretty much moaning about how much it still cost him"? When did we moan? Did you even watch the video. It was the exact opposite. It was me saying how much we spent compared to how much we budgeted (much less), talking about how worth it it was, and encouraging others to spend in the same way. I have no complaints about how much money we spent. I would do it again. We never planned on Trail Magic. Yes, it was awesome. I'm not sure why you are making these things up.

Not really IMO.

They had a Patrean account set up to accept micro donations from those enjoying their YouTube channel, which is hardly unique among bloggers (and generated less than $2000 from many who were entertained by theirs).

They did not monetize it with adds, or campaign for support like so many do with Go Fund Me appeals.

As for their accepting the generosity of others — what is the big deal? They did not pretend to be poor or struggling, but rather shared their finances and 7-figure net worth with the world is painful detail.

Accepting people’s kindness is OK, and affirms that everything we do for one another is not about money.

Most importantly, if they were using the videos to make money any idiot would have found ways to make their family more sympathetic and deserving of help. You don’t tell folk that you are a millionaire if you goal is to get a freebie.

I appreciate what Rick said because it more lines up with the truth. We have filmed a daily vlog for more than 3 years. About 2 years ago we set up a Patreon account so that people that wanted to fund us, could. When hiking the AT we left it active. What's amazing is that we are the only hikers I know of who have their account demonetized. This means there are no ads or revenue. This keeps EVERY DONATION COMPLETLY OPTIONAL. It's actually very unique and we are very excited and proud about it. I believe we mentioned our patreon link one time out of about 125 videos and it brings in very little money, relatively speaking but we are fine with that because we don't do it for the money. We got a lot of offers of kindness from people on the trail. Sometimes it was confusing because we knew we didn't need it but we learned that wasn't the point. We saw accepting people's offers as a chance to connect with people and invite them on our journey. George's comments are debasing us and they are minimizing the effort of the so many people that helped us. I don't think the people who gave us meals or invited us into their homes were stupid and thought we would starve if they didn't help. They were helping us for other reasons. - Ben

Tundracamper
10-16-2018, 15:54
... I don't think the people who gave us meals or invited us into their homes were stupid and thought we would starve if they didn't help. They were helping us for other reasons. - Ben

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it. I didn’t watch all of the videos, but I did watch quiet a few. I for one was surprised that you weren’t monetizing the YouTube content and that you weren’t pushing for supporters. So, from my perspective you are to be commended for how you did things.

Also, some folks don’t understand that there are people out there that genuinely just enjoy helping others without any expectation of getting something in return. Just look at how many people look down their noses at missionaries. Critics just don’t understand that philosophy.

Looking for forward to y’all’s next big adventure.

Gambit McCrae
10-17-2018, 15:42
BenCrawford:
I met you and your family just north of Devils Fork Gap on 3-31-18 at 10:47am.

Job well Done!

chknfngrs
10-22-2018, 11:39
H your own H you turkey lurkey!!

TexasBob
10-22-2018, 20:39

https://youtu.be/9kwJSFMA3_4

I watched about 6 minutes of this before losing total interest. I thought his wife's facial expressions said it all "How boring and why did I marry this turkey?" Would make a great SNL skit.

petedelisio
10-23-2018, 12:30
Nice thru hike Crawfords…. Glad you and everybody out there this year were able to get out there.

Never thought you would crush six months the way ya'll did.

T.S.Kobzol
10-23-2018, 19:24
It's a freaking Von Trapp freak show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickb
10-23-2018, 20:04
The older I get the more I like people who let it all hang out.

Not so keen on those who feel a need to polish their image for the benefit of strangers.