PDA

View Full Version : Camping North of Rockfish Gap

kolokolo
03-20-2018, 11:31
Hi All,

Wondering if there are places to camp along the AT just North of Rockfish Gap. I'll be hiking a long section in May, and will get to Rockfish Gap at the end of my first day. Don't really want to go into Waynesboro at that point.

Has anyone out there camped along the AT in the mile or so North of I-64?

Thanks.

johnnybgood
03-20-2018, 12:23
No. The trail itself is narrow and terrain unsuitable in the mile or so north of Rockfish. Better to push on to McCormick Gap in a few more miles unless you're hammocking.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2018, 12:55
Yep, that's a bit of a rough patch of trail as it winds around private property on the most undesirable piece of land possible. Then the trail is real close to the parkway, which you cross or kiss a few times before getting to Calf Mountain shelter.

Why not just start at Rockfish gap?

kolokolo
03-20-2018, 13:03
Yep, that's a bit of a rough patch of trail as it winds around private property on the most undesirable piece of land possible. Then the trail is real close to the parkway, which you cross or kiss a few times before getting to Calf Mountain shelter.

Why not just start at Rockfish gap?

Well, I'm starting about 14 miles South of Rockfish Gap because I've hiked everything from Springer up to that point.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2018, 13:11
Well, I'm starting about 14 miles South of Rockfish Gap because I've hiked everything from Springer up to that point.

I figured that. In retrospect you should have done those 14 miles last time you were there :)

Sounds like your starting at the Humpback picnic area. Why not make it a short day and stop at the Paul Wolf shelter? Then it's only 13 miles to the Calf mountain shelter the next day. If you go past RFG and camp, you'd either have a very short day to Calf mountain or a very long and hard day to get to Blackrock hut on day 2.

kolokolo
03-20-2018, 13:25
I figured that. In retrospect you should have done those 14 miles last time you were there :)

Sounds like your starting at the Humpback picnic area. Why not make it a short day and stop at the Paul Wolf shelter? Then it's only 13 miles to the Calf mountain shelter the next day. If you go past RFG and camp, you'd either have a very short day to Calf mountain or a very long and hard day to get to Blackrock hut on day 2.

I was planning to do those 14 on my hike last year, but my hiking partner had to get off the trail a day early and we only had one car... thus my current predicament.

Blackrock is my goal for day 2. Maybe I can find a place to tent between Paul Wolf and Rockfish Gap.

tdoczi
03-20-2018, 14:00
If you go past RFG and camp, you'd either have a very short day to Calf mountain or a very long and hard day to get to Blackrock hut on day 2.

RFG to blackrock hut is not all that hard, let alone a couple of miles past RFG to blackrock hut

Gambit McCrae
03-20-2018, 15:16
Not much if any until just south of calf mountain. In a mountain top grassy knoll is an outstanding tenting area

Coffee
03-20-2018, 15:22
Once you get a few miles north of Rockfish Gap, my recollection is that there are places that would be flat enough but Skyline drive is fairly close to the trail at points. For example, there's this weird spot with old tractor seats planted in the ground near some radio towers. Sure, camping is possible there but not sure it is legal since it is close to "developed" areas.

johnnybgood
03-20-2018, 15:57
Once you get a few miles north of Rockfish Gap, my recollection is that there are places that would be flat enough but Skyline drive is fairly close to the trail at points. For example, there's this weird spot with old tractor seats planted in the ground near some radio towers. Sure, camping is possible there but not sure it is legal since it is close to "developed" areas.

When you get to the Communication Towers you will see a clearing with power lines overhead, walk downhill 100 yards until you see a path on either side. That is were the AT once traversed over Bears Den Mountain some ten years ago. Take the trail left and you will immediately see a flat spot large enough for one tent with an awesome view of the valley below.
This will put you roughly 5 miles in from Rockfish Gap , 2 miles north of the south ridge of McCormick Mt. which has a few flat spaces, and 2 miles south of Calf Mountain Shelter if you need water for the night.

Kaptainkriz
03-20-2018, 18:51
Hold short at Paul Wolfe (very nice place) and then press to Calf Mountain shelter...not much in-between except for what @johnnybgood mentioned.