PDA

View Full Version : Two person freestanding tent with single vestibule

tobydo55
03-20-2018, 12:28
I am looking for a lightweight freestanding two person tent with a single side door and vestibule. The tent will be used for only myself, so there is no need to worry about two people fitting comfortably.

I a little about me. I am 5'10" 190lbs. 51 years old, and do most of my solo trips in Colorado. I don't do huge miles over multiple days. Mostly I will do 8-10 miles days with long leisurely afternoons in camp. On occasion, I will find a good place to base camp for a couple days and explore the area. Over the past few years I have invested a lot of money in lightening my load. ULA pack, Western Mountaineering bags, high-dollar sleep pads, technical down jackets... Well I tried that with tents. I have done Six Moon Designs, Tarptents, and Zpacks, figuring I use trekking poles anyway, so why duplicate the weight. But the problem is that those tents can be finicky to set up, confining if you are stuck inside during a rainy day, very limiting on sites due to being non-free standing, an pain in the ass with condensation, or require a huge footprint (duplex). When my wife and I backpack we have a Copper Spur UL3, and I love the ease of setup.

I have a Kelty Salida 2 that is used for winter trips as it is better about keeping the wind out and more durable. I love the setup with a single side door and vestibule. It is a great design, but a little heavy. Losing the bag it comes in, and using lightweights stakes, the tent weighs in at 4.6 lbs. Lately I have carried it and just dealt with the weight penalty. But I recently began looking at options to upgrade and it appear most lightweight two person tents have two vestibules. This does not create much of a weight penalty, but requires a larger footprint. The Salida 2 will fit in very small spots.

If any of you know of a tent that fits the bill, please let me know. Thank you.

Dogwood
03-20-2018, 12:58
Just want to say the two door two vestibule scenario in a 2 p tent can have noted benefits for 1 p use. ie; don't assume that scenario is only for 2 p.

And, that scenario can be enjoyed without a significant wt penalty.

lonehiker
03-20-2018, 13:07
The Zpacks Duplex now has an optional free-standing set-up with purchase of pole system. You will obviously still have the large footprint but it does solve the freestanding issue.

greensleep
03-20-2018, 13:14
+1 on the Duplex. The added 10 to 11 oz. of the "flex" poles for a free standing tent is worth it to me for the option. Still is lighter than many of the 2 person tents out there, has a good reputation for durability, and is water proof.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-20-2018, 13:30
Why not another BA tent? The Fly Creek is mostly free-standing, put some heavy things in the corners and it holds up well.

Venchka
03-20-2018, 13:35
Just want to say the two door two vestibule scenario in a 2 p tent can have noted benefits for 1 p use. ie; don't assume that scenario is only for 2 p.

And, that scenario can be enjoyed without a significant wt penalty.
Conversely, a 1 person, two door & 2 vestibule arrangement is appreciated by many. Me for one.
Both MSR and The North Face offer 1 person, 1 door, 1 vestibule freestanding tents. You could purchase both and have change left over for the price of the Duplex Freestanding option. I didn't buy one of these because I wanted 2 doors and two vestibules.
Wayne

tobydo55
03-20-2018, 13:39
Why not another BA tent? The Fly Creek is mostly free-standing, put some heavy things in the corners and it holds up well.

I am not a fan of the front entry. Tested one out in REI a few months back.

Venchka
03-20-2018, 13:58
REI is showing two tents for 2 persons and 1 side door and more or less freestanding.
Kelty Salida 2 and Mountain Hardwear Hylo 2. Not the lightest tents available. Very cost friendly.
Wayne

Venchka
03-20-2018, 14:10
PS:
I own an MSR Hubba Hubba NX. 2 person. free standing. Two doors & 2 vestibules. My other tent is a TarpTent StratoSpire 1. Also with double doors & vestibule. Either may be used with just the fly if insects are not a problem in places like Colorado and Wyoming.
Regarding the knock about large footprint I keep reading about online: You don't have to stake out either vestibule if you don't have room or just don't feel like it. The vestibule doors can be rolled up and secured in good weather or dropped down loose if it's raining. One vestibule can be staked out and the other dropped loose.
All tents must be anchored or they turn into beach balls and fly away. I know. I learned the hard way.
I guess the Salida 2 at REI was redundant. Sorry.
Wayne

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2018, 14:52
With the exception of the vestibules, the specs for Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 indicates a slightly smaller footprint that the Kelty Salida 2 (52"/42"x88" trapezoid vs. 55"/45"x88 trapezoid).

But if the specs can be believed, the the double vestibules don't really add that much to the overall width because it appears each vestibule of the Copper Spur is much smaller than the one vestibule of the Salida.

Copper Spur:
Vestibules appear to extend 30", but that appears to be measured from the base of the narrow end of the tent. That gives an over-all width of 102"

Salida:
Vestibule appears to extend 34", and that appears to be measured from the center of the tent. So as measured by the widest end of the Salida, the vestibule appears to add 29" suggesting a total width of 94".

When you consider the fact that the vestibule can be guyed out in ways that don't fully extend the rainfly, it would seem that the Copper Spur should be able to be setup in just about anywhere the Salida could.

tobydo55
03-20-2018, 15:07
This and the other quotes about not guying out both vestibules were something I had not considered. Given my positive experience with Copper Spur 3, I need to give the 2 a second look.

With the exception of the vestibules, the specs for Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 indicates a slightly smaller footprint that the Kelty Salida 2 (52"/42"x88" trapezoid vs. 55"/45"x88 trapezoid).

But if the specs can be believed, the the double vestibules don't really add that much to the overall width because it appears each vestibule of the Copper Spur is much smaller than the one vestibule of the Salida.

Copper Spur:
Vestibules appear to extend 30", but that appears to be measured from the base of the narrow end of the tent. That gives an over-all width of 102"

Salida:
Vestibule appears to extend 34", and that appears to be measured from the center of the tent. So as measured by the widest end of the Salida, the vestibule appears to add 29" suggesting a total width of 94".

When you consider the fact that the vestibule can be guyed out in ways that don't fully extend the rainfly, it would seem that the Copper Spur should be able to be setup in just about anywhere the Salida could.

Venchka
03-20-2018, 15:12
TarpTent StratoSpire 1 in minimal configuration.Fly only. WM Alpinlite Long on Xtherm Long.
The two guy lines could be attached to the adjacent trees, shrubs, rocks, etc.
Just off the CDT at Meeks Lake, Wyoming.
Wayne

BowGal
03-20-2018, 15:17
Ive been using a Marmot Tungsten 2P UL the past two years...love it for not being too heavy 1474g (all in weight), free standing and roomy for two...fantastic space for one.

The Old Chief
03-20-2018, 15:17
I have the BA Fly Creek 2 and it would be a tight fit for 2 people but it's excellent for one. The good news is I believe it's been replaced by the BA Tiger Wall UL2. It appears to have the same footprint as the Fly Creek but they did away with the front entry and it now has 2 side entries and vestibules. BA says it weighs 2lbs 4 oz. I saw one today at REI and it looks to be about the same size as the Fly Creek when packed up. REI also was displaying another BA tent I was unfamiliar with and it was a very roomy 2 person freestanding tent. Can't remember the name. They ain't cheap!

Ethesis
03-20-2018, 16:26
I am not a fan of the front entry. Tested one out in REI a few months back.

That is important for recommendations.

Ethesis
03-20-2018, 16:31
Pictures with a Copper Spur contrasted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/comments/84z0rh/wts_ghost_ul3_tent/

the tent itself is a front entry so it is not one that fits your needs (and is a 3p)

but it gives you some pictures.

Ethesis
03-20-2018, 16:33
Conversely, a 1 person, two door & 2 vestibule arrangement is appreciated by many. Me for one.
Both MSR and The North Face offer 1 person, 1 door, 1 vestibule freestanding tents. You could purchase both and have change left over for the price of the Duplex Freestanding option. I didn't buy one of these because I wanted 2 doors and two vestibules.
Wayne

double doors allow a lot more ventilation.

As the pictures show, even guyed out the BA isn’t that wide.

Dogwood
03-20-2018, 17:04
I have the BA Fly Creek 2 and it would be a tight fit for 2 people but it's excellent for one. The good news is I believe it's been replaced by the BA Tiger Wall UL2. It appears to have the same footprint as the Fly Creek but they did away with the front entry and it now has 2 side entries and vestibules. BA says it weighs 2lbs 4 oz. I saw one today at REI and it looks to be about the same size as the Fly Creek when packed up. REI also was displaying another BA tent I was unfamiliar with and it was a very roomy 2 person freestanding tent. Can't remember the name. They ain't cheap!

Kicked the tires of the BA Tiger Wall UL 2p the other night at REI. Great option hitting all the OP's desires. REI Members can get it for $320 on sale now. You don't get to use your trekking poles for set up though, at least I don't think you can in full Tiger Wall mode.
Compare that to the $720 cost of the ZP Duplex with the free standing pole add on option. Set up wts(tent poles and tent) aren't super far apart. How much of a gram weenie and spender are you?

Venchka
03-20-2018, 22:38
I can't picture a double vestibule tent being too wide in Colorado.
I can picture not finding a level place for a tent. Finding a level spot for the Hubba Hubba was a challenge in the 3 Forks area of the Conejos River drainage. I managed, but it took some looking.
Wayne

Franco
03-21-2018, 01:00
The TT Bowfin 2 is 9" wider than the Salida (98" vs 89") , still has the 2 vestibules/entry points (cold be good for cross ventilation.
You can get it with a mesh or partial solid inner (if wind is a problem) , 48 oz.
Freestanding as long as you stake down the vestibules (like most freestanding tents)
You have some room inside the floor for bits that may be good to have at hand.

Franco
03-21-2018, 01:00
Sorry, I forgot to add (it's not on my signature here...) I am with Tarptent...

Ethesis
03-21-2018, 12:52
The TT Bowfin 2 is 9" wider than the Salida (98" vs 89") , still has the 2 vestibules/entry points (cold be good for cross ventilation.
You can get it with a mesh or partial solid inner (if wind is a problem) , 48 oz.
Freestanding as long as you stake down the vestibules (like most freestanding tents)
You have some room inside the floor for bits that may be good to have at hand.

good recommendation.

tobydo55
03-23-2018, 21:40
I appreciate all of the responses. Decided to go with the copper spur, and found a deal for $300 with free shipping. I set my copper spur 3 up, and rolled/twisted one of the vestibules before staking. It still allowed for ventilation, yet keep the tent taught and shortened up the footprint.