PDA

View Full Version : First At hike ever paul wolfe shelter to blackrock hut help

ZiggySours
03-21-2018, 17:52
Ok so i have been researching and gearing up and reading and interneting and you tube ing and any other way you can think of to learn about the AT. I have the 2018 At thru hikers guide the awol one and I also have the guthook map on my phone of the said section. First real backpacking trip but have camped middle of no where at switzer lake areas and had no problems. Starting my hike May 3-6 with a friend. Upon researching out definitive hike and you have no idea how good it feels to have all my gear and a def date on the books for my adventure. I keep coming across all this bear activity exclusively in the said path. Is this a unusually active area for bears? Im gonna be honest here like im gonna go and **** but some people might want to see a bear in real life I could care less about seeing one ever period. Is this a healthy fear for this section or if i use all the precautions I can with bear bag no food in the tent loud noises and look big if confronted and dont run and last resort fight back.Should i be fine and im just geeking myself out ? Should I just chill out ? Lol i know its the woods and all and this is what you get but i cant help but wonder i mean i got kids and **** lol. Someone chill me out please and thanks Zig

Mugthumper
03-21-2018, 18:12
There are a lot of bears in and around Shenandoah. It sounds like you already know all of the precautions so you are just geeking yourself out. I saw 17 bears if I recall correctly, (might have been 16 bears and 7 ticks I pulled off of me, I really can't remember) in Shenandoah over a span of 4 days a couple of years back, but none of them were on the AT, they were all side trails as I made loops around the park. I normally sleep with my food, but on that trip I hung my food every night. I think its a wise decision in areas like that.

MtDoraDave
03-21-2018, 18:17
I don't know that particular area, but generally speaking, bears are like big raccoons. If you leave your food where they can get it, they will.
Of course, you'll see several people on this site who sleep with their food and have never had problems - but I prefer to hang mine.

If a certain shelter or section of the trail is "closed" to camping, then you probably shouldn't sleep there.

Otherwise, just realize you are one of THOUSANDS of hikers on the trail. I think you're more likely to get struck by lightning than get eaten by a bear... so use precautions, then turn off your ears so you can sleep... otherwise you'll do like I used to and listen to every pop, crunch, squeak, and rattle all night, thinking it's a bear.

As far as seeing them while you're hiking, I've seen a few and they are usually running away by the time I see them. If you hear something in the bushes, just start talking loudly. If it's a bear, it'll run away.

Seawoods
03-21-2018, 20:04
I saw a few bears during the day when I hiked through SNP, but I thought they were not interested in me and/or afraid of me. SNP has poles near the shelters for you to hang your food. Easy. I was a little worried about bears sniffing around when I was alone at night so I hung my entire pack if I was uncomfortable. There are some concerning stories in the shelter journals, but the ones I read were clear that the bear wanted what might have been in the pack, not the people. I think my pack probably has permanent smells from snacks and other stuff so I slept easier not having it next to me some nights.

Dogwood
03-21-2018, 20:17
It's an unhealthy fear. Knowledge, wisdom, - awareness, and respect - are better. This is better, "use all the precautions I can with bear bag no food in the tent loud noises and look big if confronted and dont run and last resort fight back."

MuddyWaters
03-22-2018, 00:12
Consider each instance to observe a bear as a gift.
Especially cubs.
These things are valued experiences.

Do your part to protect them.

Spend enough time out there and you'll have a few close encounters of the furry kind.

BuckeyeBill
03-22-2018, 13:29
One thing I learn very quickly about seeing cubs. When you see them start looking around a full 360* to make sure you are not between the cubs and big mama. It can create an altercation you will not enjoy.

Skyline
03-24-2018, 00:12
One thing I learn very quickly about seeing cubs. When you see them start looking around a full 360* to make sure you are not between the cubs and big mama. It can create an altercation you will not enjoy.

Agree. Only real things to be aware of in BLACK bear country is a mom with cubs, and their habit of trying to make a quick meal of your food if given the chance. Otherwise they will probably leave you alone.

I hiked in Glacier NP last year in grizzly bear country. The advice above, ignore it in grizzly country. You need real bear spray (not the kind of spray you might use vs. a human attacker in a dark alley), and it needs to be in a holster clipped to your waist belt for quick access.