PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole tent recommendations?

Elkins45
03-22-2018, 20:40
Anyone care to point me in the direction of some good one and two person tents that pitch with trekking poles? Recommendations and critiques appreciated.

Elkins45
03-22-2018, 20:45
Edit to add: I’m interested in actual tents with floors, not tarps, at least for the two person. No way my wife is going to agree to sleep in a floorless tent and she would be the second person in a two person tent. I already have a good tarp if I want to go that route for myself.

KDogg
03-22-2018, 21:01
Z-Packs: Duplex for one person and Triplex for two. Awesome tent.

LIhikers
03-22-2018, 22:03
My wife and I use the Tarptent Rainshadow.
It's sold as a 3 person tent so there is plenty of room for 2.
Also, it does a good job keeping out the bugs and bad weather.

brewcrew1514
03-22-2018, 22:14
I've really enjoyed my Gossamer Gear The One. Good company, good product, and 21 oz which already includes the seam sealing. It also comes in a two person variation.

Venchka
03-23-2018, 00:25
I purchased a TarpTent StratoSpire 1 with the part solid interior last year. It performed very well in Colorado and Wyoming last August and September. I used the inner tent in Colorado including a 6 hour rain test of my DIY seam sealing. I used the rain fly alone in Wyoming. I really appreciated the 21 ounce shelter provided by the fly.
I’m very happy with the tent.
Wayne

soumodeler
03-23-2018, 10:27
ZPacks and TarpTent are excellent choices. Some TarpTent models use regular tent poles but some use trekking poles. I have the TT Notch (1 person) and its a great tent.

Agree about using a 2 person tent for just one and a 3 person for two. I use a Duplex just for me and love the extra space.

Venchka
03-23-2018, 10:48
TarpTent sells conventional poles for their trekking pole models. They also sell mesh and conventional fabric inner tent bodies. The two inner tents are interchangeable. I opted for the conventional fabric inner tent, like my first two tents from the 70s and 80s, and appreciate keeping condensation where it belongs: outside of my bedroom.
I have used both 1 & 2 person tents by myself. I had 3 front entry tents before buying a tent with double side entry doors and huge vestibules. I’m a convert to that arrangement.
I also find that the StratoSpire 1 with two huge vestibules is very spacious and comfortable. I don’t miss the few extra square feet of my 2 person tent. Call it a 1Plus tent.
Wayne

Shae
03-23-2018, 11:33
+1 on the Tarptent Notch. Many miles on the Long Trail as well as the Collegiate Peaks Loop Trail with nasty weather on both. I continue to be impressed with it after several years. I do not have any experience with anything but their 1-man tents but their construction, ease of set up, and weight are 4-star or better.

Persistent
03-23-2018, 11:44
Check out the LightHeart Gear Duo!

linus72
03-23-2018, 13:49
Just bought a used Duo from a guy on here I can't wait to set it up it's so light! All these damn nor'easters ... snow is mostly melted now so maybe this weekend I will give it a test run

Venchka
03-23-2018, 13:54
Snow doesn’t hurt nylon. 👍😎
Wayne

MtDoraDave
03-23-2018, 19:40
After using the Squall 2 for a while (2 person predecessor to the Motrail) I discovered I wasn't fond of the front entry design or the large footprint they need (including the guy out area). Also, this style of tent requires you to scoot back to the door to sit up inside the tent.
The Notch is great for lots of reasons, which is why I bought one.
The stratospire 1 is similar, but bigger. Supposedly you can squeeze 2 people into a stratospire 1... Guess you have to decide if the wife will actually come with you, more than once, before you try a stratospire 2.
The 2 person tents are, of course heavier, require more real estate to pitch, and are usually more expensive - though the re-sell pretty well if they are still newish, should you change your mind.

Venchka
03-23-2018, 20:58
The side walls in the SS1 are vertical. The peak is about 45-48 inches. The are really big. It’s a lot more tent than you might think.
Wayne

Venchka
03-23-2018, 20:59
The side walls in the SS1 are vertical. The peak is about 45-48 inches. The are really big. It’s a lot more tent than you might think.
Wayne
Sorry.
The DOORS are really big.
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
03-25-2018, 02:00
I am also an owner of a TT Notch. I used it early on for everything and now use it on occasion because I switched to a hammock. Two pole setup fast and easy. If you are having decent weather, you can remove the rain cover and just set up the inner net setup. I have room for every thing I carried and made a hook to fast to one of my poles to hang my shoes from to keep the creepy crawlers out of them.

bigcranky
03-25-2018, 08:50
TT Notch for solo, Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo for two people (this is an *amazing* tent for 2), or the Zpacks Triplex if you have the cash.

Trail Lady
11-13-2018, 12:38
Here is the review I did on the Zpacks trekking poles.
zpacks trekking pole review/ (https://www.artemisonthetrail.com/zpacks-trekking-pole-review/)

Time Zone
11-13-2018, 15:51
I've liked my Sierra Designs Tensegrity, though I don't think they make them anymore. Might find them on closeout somewhere. 2 caveats, though:

one, while it's cleverly designed to ensure better ventilation with mesh windows at the head and foot end that you can't close up (but that are protected from rain by fabric awnings/overhangs). This should reduce condensation build up (the "roof" is single-wall, like many trekking-pole tents); however, the winds have usually died down at night when I've been in it, so I've still gotten condensation build-up.

two, I've not been in it in a rainstorm, and give the condensation buildup, I imagine I'd get some water knocked off right on to me, rather than misted through a tent inner like my double wall tent. Fly is "20D Polyester Ripstop, Silicone/1200mm PE, FR" , whatever that means. Maybe it could mist with heavy enough rain anyway?

Had I not scored a deal on the SD tent, I would probably have bought an SMD Skyscape tent, though I subsequently learned of the Lightheart Duo, and that might be even better. I'd have chosen the Skyscape over the Lunar for cross-ventilation. IIRC the Lunar only opens on one side, and with hybrid single/double wall tents, ventilation is key to reduce condensation (and in summertime, key to not roasting alive inside there). Noseeum mesh is great stuff for what it aims to do, but it cuts airflow so much, it can be rough in summer.

Shaker
01-14-2019, 13:16
I have the Tarptent Double Rainbow. Big enough for two if needed, but just perfect for a 6'2" guy plus gear. Sets up quickly and doesn't get wet on the inside if it's raining. It does use an aluminum pole for setup, but can be made freestanding with trekking poles.

Shaker

bighammer
01-14-2019, 22:05
I've really liked my Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 and was going to post a link, but it seems to be discontinued. I had an earlier version in the '90s called the Clip Flashlight, but it was also discontinued. Odd names, but great tents.

Time Zone
01-15-2019, 08:04
I've really liked my Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 and was going to post a link, but it seems to be discontinued. I had an earlier version in the '90s called the Clip Flashlight, but it was also discontinued. Odd names, but great tents.
Sierra Designs' Tensegrity tents bear design similarities to their Flashlight 2, and are back at REI outlet for half off. They have been gone for a little while; I guess they bought up some old stock or returns. They have both the 1 and 2, as well as the FL and Elite. I have the 1 FL and like it quite a bit for its side entry, covered storage (and practically shaped, unlike so many), excellent ventilation, good floor shape (does not come to a point at either end), etc. Does have 1 hoop pole for feet, so in that sense it's not for no-other-poles-purists, but it's definitely worth it since it keeps the single wall roof off the foot of your bag, and you can pack it separately.

Another Kevin
01-15-2019, 17:41
My go-to is the TarpTent Notch, like several other people here. If I think I can trust wind and bugs, I might instead bring my 8x10 and 5x7 silnylon tarps and just set up some sort of field-expedient shelter. That's a few ounces lighter, but there aren't many times when I enjoy the conditions for it. If I hiked in the arid West, I'd tarp a lot more often.

Blessed is he that sleepeth behind bug netting, for he shall remain sane.

Cboon
06-04-2019, 19:51
Zpacks Duplex...great tent, plenty of room for you and your gear or you and someone else (it will be snug) and very lightweight. I love mine

Shooting Star
06-04-2019, 22:34
Ditto on the Lunar Duo. I've had one for years and love it. I've pitched it in exposed places with
significant wind loading and it has always held up. The tent has good headroom and is under 3 lbs
which isn't bad for a 2 person tent. It has a full bathtub with netting and entrances on each side.

TT Notch for solo, Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo for two people (this is an *amazing* tent for 2), or the Zpacks Triplex if you have the cash.

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
06-05-2019, 18:57
Lightheart is a very good brand

kestral
06-05-2019, 19:02
I have a tarptent rainbow. Nice tent for one About 2 lbs. I’m thinking of upgrading to a duplex though mainly because the material doesn’t hold water like silnylon. The price
of the Cuban though! If your interested in the tarptent message me.