PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike When I Retire

chknfngrs
03-23-2018, 08:01
I should be end to end thru hiking the AT in 2032. I’ll be newly retired and 57 years old. Anyone else planning to thru in 2032?

Between now and then I have 14 years to hike the short trails, the close trails, and lock down a system that won’t let me down. I just did the math and while a lot can happen between now and then, I’m stoked!

I can’t afford the long stuff right now but easy to enjoy much shorter hikes with my kids until I can seems like a good alternative.

perrymk
03-23-2018, 08:17
My plan is to retire at 55 or 56 in 2020 or 2021. I hope to thru hike then but have one or two personal matters that might get in the way. But it's mostly a go.

In the meantime I've probably read half the memoirs out there, plus a few how-to-hike-the-AT books. Plus some hiking of course :).

martinb
03-23-2018, 09:29
I met a retired guy this winter, while camping in Ocala National forest, who has thru hiked the AT three times since his retirement. He loves it. He is getting ready to start thru-hike #4 as I post.

Mikerfixit
03-23-2018, 09:34
I will have to work until I am 70 before I can retire. I hope to do a through hike as well but worry that I may have too many health issues by that time. Still, 20 years is a long time and its hard to know what the trail might be like by that time. Like you I plan on hiking shorter sections and get my gear dialed in. I just have to stay healthy.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2018, 09:39
I guess it good to have goals. Good luck in 20 years :)

BowGal
03-23-2018, 09:40
Saw an interview with a Lithuanian man who is hiking the AT again...at age 87. He is a triple crowner.

Think the interview was with two women who go by “Wheezie and Duck”

imscotty
03-23-2018, 09:43
I'm just trying to figure out how people retire at 57 years old. Clearly I'm doing it wrong :-?

Hikingjim
03-23-2018, 09:47
Sorry, the trail is full for 2032. Maybe you can try for 2033

jefals
03-23-2018, 09:49
2032 - that's a long way off. When I was late 20s, early 30s, living in Atlanta, I dreamed about hiking the AT when I retired...
over the years, a lot of things changed. we moved out west , and, while at first that didn't change the dream, but as I became aware of the PCT, that eventually became my new long-trail priority. over time, I began to notice some physical things... little injuries or muscle aches and pains don't heal up as quickly as they used to. Balance isn't quite as easy as it once was. Nothing serious, but now, instead of, say, scurrying quickly across a stream on a log, I have to take my time and be prepared that I might fall in anyway... Gotta pay more attention to the knees, too...
But the biggest thing I didn't think about, all those years while I was working and dreaming about hiking that long trail when I retired -- the grandkids came along! That's was a whole new experience. I'm a fortunate man, in that most folks I know have kids and grandkids that live somewhere else. Mine are just a few miles down the road, so I see em all the time. Yeah, it never occurred to me, all those years dreaming about the long hike that I'd have these little youngsters I couldn't stand to be away from anywhere near long enough for a long hike.
And, I'm good with that. Life has a way of changing your priorities. Anyway, I figure, for now I'll enjoy time with the family, and once the kids turn into teenagers -- that might be the time for me to start on my triple! Or double triple! ?

rhjanes
03-23-2018, 09:53
Well, I'm 59.5.....and am sort of being forced to retire. I have worked in IT for 38 years. My current "companies".....well, I've worked there 15 years...and FOUR different names on the paycheck. I was informed a few weeks ago, I am being "benched"...(replaced by young, offshore people). SO.....I HOPE to hike in 2019. I'm caring for two parents right now, taking 3 days a week. Which is where I am needed now. When I called my wife with "the news we've been expecting for 4 years", she replied "it's a blessing".

How are we? Our financial plan has me fully retired/never work again at 62. So we are "almost" there. In the last few years, we put 6 figures into savings. We've saved the max in our 401K's for 35 years or more. NEVER took any of that out, not even those "loans". We lived well under our means. In retirement, with 5 401K's, two small retirements, two social securities.....have had no debt for 5 years now......we "could" actually get a RAISE when we retire. It takes long term planning and commitment. Start when you are in your early 20's. Keep the long term goal in your mind. Live under your income. Pay off the house early, drive cars for 10 years (my truck is 20 years old...my daily driver is 10....).

So....here's hoping for 2019 (depends on family).

Kaptainkriz
03-23-2018, 10:12
I'm in the same pattern for 2030. :cool:

I should be end to end thru hiking the AT in 2032. I’ll be newly retired and 57 years old. Anyone else planning to thru in 2032?

Between now and then I have 14 years to hike the short trails, the close trails, and lock down a system that won’t let me down. I just did the math and while a lot can happen between now and then, I’m stoked!

I can’t afford the long stuff right now but easy to enjoy much shorter hikes with my kids until I can seems like a good alternative.

kolokolo
03-23-2018, 10:30
I'm thinking about the possibility of an AT thru when I retire in 5-7 years, but like many have already said, lots can happen between now and then. I don't know for certain what my health will be like, and my wife as well.

So I've been sectioning for about 10 years now, and I probably will have just about completed the AT in sections when I retire. At that point I can decide on the Thru, and not fell to bad about it if it's not feasible.

Section hiking is very different from thru hiking, I have come to realize, but I have learned a lot about my equipment, my needs, and my capabilities by section hiking.

Sarcasm the elf
03-23-2018, 10:46
I'm just trying to figure out how people retire at 57 years old. Clearly I'm doing it wrong :-?

1) The problem I’ve realized is that retiring at 50 is extremely simple to do, unfortunately the most reliable way to do so is to start preparing for it in your early twenties.”

2) Of course you’re doing it wrong, you’re hanging out with us :D

jefals
03-23-2018, 10:56
Well, I'm 59.5.....and am sort of being forced to retire. I have worked in IT for 38 years. My current "companies".....well, I've worked there 15 years...and FOUR different names on the paycheck. I was informed a few weeks ago, I am being "benched"...(replaced by young, offshore people). SO.....I HOPE to hike in 2019. I'm caring for two parents right now, taking 3 days a week. Which is where I am needed now. When I called my wife with "the news we've been expecting for 4 years", she replied "it's a blessing".

How are we? Our financial plan has me fully retired/never work again at 62. So we are "almost" there. In the last few years, we put 6 figures into savings. We've saved the max in our 401K's for 35 years or more. NEVER took any of that out, not even those "loans". We lived well under our means. In retirement, with 5 401K's, two small retirements, two social securities.....have had no debt for 5 years now......we "could" actually get a RAISE when we retire. It takes long term planning and commitment. Start when you are in your early 20's. Keep the long term goal in your mind. Live under your income. Pay off the house early, drive cars for 10 years (my truck is 20 years old...my daily driver is 10....).

I was in a similar situation, but a little closer to retirement. I knew a few years ahead - when my company started migrating to new technology - that I'd be out in a couple years, 2012, at the age of 66.
I didn't want to touch me social till I hit 70, and I think that's one of the best decisions I ever made! I had to find a way to get the those 4 years, tho. I'm sure the way I did it wasn't the best - but it worked.
Good luck!

T.S.Kobzol
03-23-2018, 10:57
I am projecting 2028 for us to retire and start long distance trips. AT is on the top of our list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanatuk
03-23-2018, 17:02
I'm getting close, planning to retire and thru-hike in 2020. I haven't decided if it will be PCT or AT yet, probably let the snow decide for me.

Best way to prepare for a thru-hike is to hike,

colorado_rob
03-23-2018, 17:33
I was going to work a few more years, but retired at 56 specifically to hike the AT (yikes, 5 years ago now!). Excellent decision. Yeah, money is tighter now, but we get by. Small house, older vehicles, thrifty habits, except for gear, of course.

Younger folks have more time than money, generally, while us older folks have more money than time! Generally. One has to ask one's self: At what age is your crossover point for what's more important, money or time?

Decades ago I saw a plot of expected age of death vs. at what age you retire, working as an engineer. It was probably made up, but it affected me. IIRC, the graph showed that if one retires at 55, one lives on average to 80. But if one retires at 65, one lives on average to..... 66 ! This graph was for a male in a technical job for a corporation, you know, those institutions that suck the life right out of you.....

RangerZ
03-23-2018, 17:38
I was going to work a few more years, but retired at 56 specifically to hike the AT (yikes, 5 years ago now!). Excellent decision. Yeah, money is tighter now, but we get by. Small house, older vehicles, thrifty habits, except for gear, of course.

Younger folks have more time than money, generally, while us older folks have more money than time! Generally. One has to ask one's self: At what age is your crossover point for what's more important, money or time?

Decades ago I saw a plot of expected age of death vs. at what age you retire, working as an engineer. It was probably made up, but it affected me. IIRC, the graph showed that if one retires at 55, one lives on average to 80. But if one retires at 65, one lives on average to..... 66 ! This graph was for a male in a technical job for a corporation, you know, those institutions that suck the life right out of you.....

65 -> 66! I’d better hurry up and get on the trail. 9 April on the approach trail.

MuddyWaters
03-23-2018, 17:42
As I've told people for years
I'd rather be retired and live in a trailer, then go to work everyday
It's all a matter of perspective
I want and need very little. I'm somewhat of a minimalist.
A minimalist with a bunch of stuff, that he realizes is suffocating him.

My wife on the other hand doesn't does not want to live a minimalist lifestyle.

If i didnt' have a wife or kids in grad school I'd retired today
Life's too short to work it away. And walking trails ain't that expensive.

By the time my youngest is out of med school, I hope to be able to work contract part of the year only. Looks like six or seven more years. If I can do that for a number of years I'll be content to work till I'm 65. I expect I'll be forced to retire at 55 that seems to be the trend.

Grampie
03-23-2018, 17:50
I thru-hiked when I retired at age 65. It took me two try’s but I did succeed. It was a great adventure and I’m so glad I did it. My advice would be, don’t put it off any longer than you can.

colorado_rob
03-23-2018, 18:04
65 -> 66! I’d better hurry up and get on the trail. 9 April on the approach trail. You're good, because every year hiking adds 5 years of longevity! Or more.

BuckeyeBill
03-23-2018, 18:05
As I've told people for years
I'd rather be retired and live in a trailer, then go to work everyday
It's all a matter of perspective
I want and need very little. I'm somewhat of a minimalist.
A minimalist with a bunch of stuff, that he realizes is suffocating him.

My wife on the other hand doesn't does not want to live a minimalist lifestyle.

If i didnt' have a wife or kids in grad school I'd retired today
Life's too short to work it away. And walking trails ain't that expensive.

By the time my youngest is out of med school, I hope to be able to work contract part of the year only. Looks like six or seven more years. If I can do that for a number of years I'll be content to work till I'm 65. I expect I'll be forced to retire at 55 that seems to be the trend.

MW I made the mistake of saying something within ear shot of my wife and two step children. It was the same year that the Dodge Viper came out. I told the kids if it weren't for them, I would get one of these. It flew over the kids' head, but the wifey gave me the hex eye and told me that remarked just cost me taking the whole family and a few (4) friends out to dinner at a restaurant of her choosing. Yikes!!!!!

BuckeyeBill
03-23-2018, 18:06
Oh and I had to pay for everyone.

MuddyWaters
03-23-2018, 18:11
MW I made the mistake of saying something within ear shot of my wife and two step children. It was the same year that the Dodge Viper came out. I told the kids if it weren't for them, I would get one of these. It flew over the kids' head, but the wifey gave me the hex eye and told me that remarked just cost me taking the whole family and a few (4) friends out to dinner at a restaurant of her choosing. Yikes!!!!!
Well, my wife knows my feelings.
I'm tired of working
Shes tired of working also
She works till 9 p.m. almost every night or later sometimes
And I've spent only 9 days in US so far this yr.
I'll be lucky if I spend 4 months at home this year
It could easily be less than 2.

Makes planning my little walks hard.
Well I can plan all I want , the plans just get trashed

devoidapop
03-23-2018, 18:22
What about requesting sabbatical time? I have been with my company about 10 years, I dedicate a lot if time to my work and sacrifice holidays every year. I would not be shy about asking for the time to rejuvenate myself. Of course my kids are still little and I don't want to miss 4 to 6 months of their lives or be the subject of a thread about the ethics of thru hiking with toddlers, so it's not happening until they are older anyway. Hopefully over a summer vacation when they're teens. :)

devoidapop
03-23-2018, 18:23
What about requesting sabbatical time? I have been with my company about 10 years, I dedicate a lot of time to my work and sacrifice holidays every year. I would not be shy about asking for the time to rejuvenate myself. Of course my kids are still little and I don't want to miss 4 to 6 months of their lives or be the subject of a thread about the ethics of thru hiking with toddlers, so it's not happening until they are older anyway. Hopefully over a summer vacation when they're teens. :)

Nanatuk
03-23-2018, 18:39
One has to ask one's self: At what age is your crossover point for what's more important, money or time?

Or more succinctly How do you get the money and the time to run out at the same time?

Coffee
03-23-2018, 18:44
I've been fortunate enough to not be in traditional employment for the past nine years and I'm now only 44. Yet somehow I haven't thru hiked an entire long trail (although I've done 800+ mile long sections). And I badly want to triple crown and more - so I feel like I'm squandering my time when I read this thread and need to just get out there more while I'm relatively young.

BTW, www.mrmoneymustache.com is THE site to read to at least remove money as the reason not to get out there. Some level of financial freedom is necessary, but not necessarily, a sufficient condition to be able to thru hike the long trails.

map man
03-23-2018, 19:00

I started down a similar path in my mid-forties. Took up backpacking at age 46 in 2006, have gained a lot of experience with at least one hike of a week or two each year since, and have fantasized off and on about trying a thru-hike when I retire. And now I am retiring next year.

I have learned that I have some things going for me making me a good candidate for a thru-hike (good fitness and a lot of backpacking experience) and some things that make me less than a good candidate (homesickness in the second week of any hike being an important one). I plan to start a hike at Katahdin next June but I still haven't decided whether it will be a thru-hike attempt or a challenging section hike covering Maine and New Hampshire.

Nanatuk
03-23-2018, 19:03
What about requesting sabbatical time?
My company used to offer sabbaticals for employees with over 20 years service. I requested one a year ago, but it didn't go very far. They wouldn't consider anything over 30 days. I think I'm going to ask again next year once I'm in a position to walk away for good. (pun intended)

BuckeyeBill
03-23-2018, 19:13
Well, my wife knows my feelings.
I'm tired of working
Shes tired of working also
She works till 9 p.m. almost every night or later sometimes
And I've spent only 9 days in US so far this yr.
I'll be lucky if I spend 4 months at home this year
It could easily be less than 2.

Makes planning my little walks hard.
Well I can plan all I want , the plans just get trashed

Sounds like you have a very special lady there. I'm am sure that if you both can hold on under those circumstances you will be at Springer Mountain very soon.

MtDoraDave
03-23-2018, 19:25
I've started working on my business partner about taking time off to thru hike.
He says wait until I retire.
I don't know if I'll be able to walk when I retire, so I started saving money and paying off bills. When I'm close to o having 10k saved, if I still wish to thru hike, I'll bring it up again.
In the meantime, I'll just keep doing sections when I can.
If I become a 2000 miler before I get a chance to thru, what are the odds I'll still want thru? Who knows. Maybe I'll want to do the PCT at that point?
Bottom line is that I keep saving money so that I CAN do something when the opportunity arises.

Greenlight
03-23-2018, 19:52
Dale Sanders "White Beard" is the oldest man to thru-hike the AT at age 82. He was in the AT class of 2017 and I met him at The Place during Trail Days. What is the Lithuanian man's name, and does he have proof of his thru-hike? If so, he needs to be recognized for the accomplishment. Until that happens the official record remains in White Beard's hands.

TSWisla
03-23-2018, 20:14
I am really jealous. I have 4 children and they are bleeding me dry. I live in IL and IL is bleeding me dry too. I think that I have to be content with section hiking. I turned 40 last year and my body is already giving up on me. 2 knee surgeries, DVT, pylonephritis, umbilical hernia, PVCs amoung other ailments. I am in great shape! My bloodwork is "amazing" according to my cariologist and I am 5'10" 155# I am on no meds. What am I doing wrong?! My dream was to hike the AT and PCT, but it looks like I will be lucky if I complete the AT in 20 or 30 years...

Spirit Walker
03-23-2018, 20:40
Since you have time, why not explore other trails besides the AT? There are a lot of places that are more beautiful and a lot less crowded. Go somewhere different every year. A week or two or three to explore Colorado, Montana, Utah, the Ozarks, Alaska, etc. You'll still be aiming toward your main goal, thruhiking when you retire, but you won't have spent your entire life focused on one tiny part of the country.

Grampie
03-23-2018, 20:49
Since you have time, why not explore other trails besides the AT? There are a lot of places that are more beautiful and a lot less crowded. Go somewhere different every year. A week or two or three to explore Colorado, Montana, Utah, the Ozarks, Alaska, etc. You'll still be aiming toward your main goal, thruhiking when you retire, but you won't have spent your entire life focused on one tiny part of the country.

There is no hike that compares to a AT thru-hike.

colorado_rob
03-23-2018, 20:53
There is no hike that compares to a AT thru-hike. I can think of a few that blow the AT away, sorry. But I did thoroughly enjoy the AT too. More than I thought I would.

T.S.Kobzol
03-23-2018, 21:07
First advice: move to the mountains so you can hike every weekend.

I am really jealous. I have 4 children and they are bleeding me dry. I live in IL and IL is bleeding me dry too. I think that I have to be content with section hiking. I turned 40 last year and my body is already giving up on me. 2 knee surgeries, DVT, pylonephritis, umbilical hernia, PVCs amoung other ailments. I am in great shape! My bloodwork is "amazing" according to my cariologist and I am 5'10" 155# I am on no meds. What am I doing wrong?! My dream was to hike the AT and PCT, but it looks like I will be lucky if I complete the AT in 20 or 30 years...

One Half
03-24-2018, 09:05
dang! people think I'm a planner with a thru hike planned for 2022!

TexasBob
03-24-2018, 10:09
I started down a similar path in my mid-forties. Took up backpacking at age 46 in 2006, have gained a lot of experience with one or two week long section hikes each year since, and have fantasized off and on about trying a thru-hike when I retire. And now I am retiring next year.

I have learned that I have some things going for me making me a good candidate for a thru-hike (good fitness and a lot of backpacking experience) and some things that make me less than a good candidate (homesickness in the second week of any hike being an important one). I plan to start a hike at Katahdin next June but I still haven't decided whether it will be a thru-hike attempt or a challenging section hike covering Maine and New Hampshire.

One of the advantages of being retired is your time is your own. If you get through New Hampshire and are having fun, just keep going and if not go home. I am heading to Harper's Ferry in May and going north. My wife said "How far are you going this time?" Unlike my other hikes I told her I don't know I don't have any definite plan other than when and where I am starting. I will decide when I have had enough and come home then. It could be a couple weeks or a couple months or maybe I will go all the way to Maine who knows. I am retired and my schedule open-ended so no reason for me to decide now. My wife is glad for me to hike and very supportive.

Sarcasm the elf
03-24-2018, 11:15
BTW, www.mrmoneymustache.com (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com) is THE site to read to at least remove money as the reason not to get out there. Some level of financial freedom is necessary, but not necessarily, a sufficient condition to be able to thru hike the long trails.
I’ll absolutely second that. His ideas of minimalism and optimization also blend perfectly with backpacking. I belong to both the “Mustachians on Facebook” FB group as well as several Appalachian Trail FB groups, fairly often the posts in the groups are so similar that they I have trouble telling them apart.

Coffee
03-24-2018, 11:31
One of the advantages of being retired is your time is your own.
Only in terms of not needing to work at a job for income. There are other demands on time a well for many people.

Heliotrope
03-24-2018, 11:58

Key point here: “ ...thrifty habits, except for gear of course.” [emoji3]

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 12:53

^^^^^ +100

There is no hike that compares to a AT thru-hike.

Oh brother. The AT isn't levitating above every other possible hike as "the hike of all hikes." The AT has downsides, plenty of them. If you like to hike, are preparing for an AT thru yrs away, don't yet have the time or finances or engaged in committments that preclude a AT distance type hike Spirit Walker gave great advice.

TexasBob
03-24-2018, 13:10
Only in terms of not needing to work at a job for income. There are other demands on time a well for many people.

That's true. Just because you are retired that doesn't mean you don't have obligations to take care of.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 17:18

That's true. Just because you are retired that doesn't mean you don't have obligations to take care of.

And just because you're not retired doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the time or money to thru hike. Choosing to thru hike doesn't need to be couched in terms of either the thru hike or proritizing money or being responsible to obligations. There are countless examples of those that do it all.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 17:31
And , why, for the love of God, does it always have to be a thru hike to experience completing the AT? Thru hiking is massively over rated especially thru hiking the AT. LOL It's only walking.

If one is considering waiting 14 yrs to experience an AT completion why can't one consider doing the same if it fits better to section hiking the AT?

This level of thru hiking absolutism is insane as well as the anal izing of retirement needed to experience completing the AT, experiencing the AT. :-? :datz:datz

Coffee
03-24-2018, 18:25
And just because you're not retired doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the time or money to thru hike. Choosing to thru hike doesn't need to be couched in terms of either the thru hike or proritizing money or being responsible to obligations. There are countless examples of those that do it all.

For me it is more about feeling needed at home and guilty if gone for a very long period of time. I've been away for up to six weeks (PCT in 2015) and until I can feel good about disappearing for longer, even a very fast thru hike of a long trail (3-4 months) isn't in the cards which sucks. Heck, I've not been able to get out on short trips lately either. "Retirement" meaning no need to work for wages, is overrated as a proxy for freedom to do anything; it isn't, not for most people with obligations although everyone is obviously different.

jefals
03-24-2018, 19:15
For me it is more about feeling needed at home and guilty if gone for a very long period of time. I've been away for up to six weeks (PCT in 2015) and until I can feel good about disappearing for longer, even a very fast thru hike of a long trail (3-4 months) isn't in the cards which sucks. Heck, I've not been able to get out on short trips lately either. "Retirement" meaning no need to work for wages, is overrated as a proxy for freedom to do anything; it isn't, not for most people with obligations although everyone is obviously different.

Yes, me too. Can't stand being away from the grandkids for more than a couple weeks. Not saying I could complete a thru-hike if not for that, but that's the biggest thing keeping me from giving it serious thought.

BuckeyeBill
03-24-2018, 20:34
I could retire now if I chose to, but I enjoy what I am doing and the group of people I have working with me are simply the best. I still grab two to three weeks a couple/three times a year to hike. I still have plans to do an AT thru, that will complete my Triple Crown and then I may try for the American Discovery Trail. After that, who knows?

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 20:41
For me it is more about feeling needed at home and guilty if gone for a very long period of time. I've been away for up to six weeks (PCT in 2015) and until I can feel good about disappearing for longer, even a very fast thru hike of a long trail (3-4 months) isn't in the cards which sucks. Heck, I've not been able to get out on short trips lately either...

I get that. But c'mon in 10+ yrs -14 yrs as given- you can't find a wk here and there to bang away at experiencing the AT or contributing to completing the AT?:confused:

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 20:47
Who the heck here is Nostradamus? We have no exact idea what can possibly lie ahead over such length time periods as 10 yrs. Go do some hiking. Fit it into your non retired schedule. Maybe, do some hiking with family. Stop using money, home obligations, and non retirement as excuses.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 20:48
I'm going to pay for that comment.

T.S.Kobzol
03-24-2018, 20:49
I have always assumed that everyone here already hikes.

Who the heck here is Nostradamus? We have no exact idea what can possibly lie ahead over such length time periods as 10 yrs. Go do some hiking. Fit it into your non retired schedule. Maybe, do some hiking with family. Stop using money, home obligations, and non retirement as excuses.

Singto
03-24-2018, 21:51
Just found out that a 57 year old friend of mine has terminal cancer with a 1 year to live prognosis. Him and his wife (has breast cancer) have lots of money but have always been work, work, work. My wife and I, far from being rich, have traveled the world by doing very frugal trips and I'm preparing to hike the AT this year. Message: life is short and many people on this board won't have a retirement. Do it (whatever it is) as soon as it's possible...tomorrow never comes and we're all day to day.

Carl7
03-24-2018, 21:52
It's in our backyards. Get out and walk every day. Any trail time is good time, very good time! I too will have to wait for a thru, but in the meantime, I walk and love it.

Coffee
03-25-2018, 00:54
Just found out that a 57 year old friend of mine has terminal cancer with a 1 year to live prognosis. Him and his wife (has breast cancer) have lots of money but have always been work, work, work. My wife and I, far from being rich, have traveled the world by doing very frugal trips and I'm preparing to hike the AT this year. Message: life is short and many people on this board won't have a retirement. Do it (whatever it is) as soon as it's possible...tomorrow never comes and we're all day to day.
Of course, you are right. I didn't do it myself (stupid) but I'd tell any young person with an interest in doing so to thru hike after high school or college when there are no obligations to descendants or ancestors to be concerned with. You might be broke but you're never as free as when you are 18 to early 20s.

perrymk
03-25-2018, 06:25

I'm going to pay for that comment.Here you go (smile).

You're right of course, that no one really knows what the future holds except perhaps death and taxes. Plans can be changed, but without a plan many people end up no where. Some get lucky and things work out great but most are probably a bit more average. None of this is an excuse for us average folks to not enjoy the present. The right balance of planning for the future and enjoying the present is for everyone to decide for themselves.

The OP wanted to discuss planning, perhaps as a motivation, perhaps to pass the time, maybe to learn something. Probably the same reasons I've read so many AT memoirs. In the meantime I've completed section hiking the Florida Trail and have a reasonable shot at a modest but comfortable retirement in my mid 50s.

soilman
03-25-2018, 07:15
I retired at 55. Plan early and live below your means.

TexasBob
03-25-2018, 11:06
.................. Stop using money, home obligations, and non retirement as excuses.

Easy to say but ignores realities of life. For 30 years I had a job where I got at most 2 weeks off a year, sometimes less. It would have been extremely selfish of me to use that time to go off by myself and hike the AT. Backpacking is something I enjoy but my wife and daughter would view as a kin to cruel and unusual punishment so a family trip was not in the cards. So for all those years I thought "Someday I am going to hike the AT". Well a few years ago I essentially was semi retired and I had much more time off so my wife said "You have the time now so go do it". Now I am fully retired and I can arrange to gone for long periods if I want whenever I want. So in short what you may see as excuses during those earlier 30 years are really not excuses at least for me but honoring my responsibilities as a husband and a father which I viewed as much more important than the AT.

Elaikases
03-25-2018, 11:10
Easy to say but ignores realities of life. For 30 years I had a job where I got at most 2 weeks off a year, sometimes less. It would have been extremely selfish of me to use that time to go off by myself and hike the AT. Backpacking is something I enjoy but my wife and daughter would view as a kin to cruel and unusual punishment so a family trip was not in the cards. So for all those years I thought "Someday I am going to hike the AT". Well a few years ago I essentially was semi retired and I had much more time off so my wife said "You have the time now so go do it". Now I am fully retired and I can arrange to gone for long periods if I want whenever I want. So in short what you may see as excuses during those earlier 30 years are really not excuses at least for me but honoring my responsibilities as a husband and a father which I viewed as much more important than the AT.

Exactly. I could not agree more.

One Half
03-25-2018, 14:01

If I got that diagnosis today I would be hitting the trail! For now, I'm happy to know we will be hiking in 4 years.

franky
03-25-2018, 14:03
Are you an 1811 by any chance.. that 57 thing sounds familiar!

Kittyslayer
03-25-2018, 14:30
Shooting for class of 2024 to retire and thru hike.

RockDoc
03-25-2018, 14:39
I would advise anyone to do it sooner, not later. It's difficult enough now, and there are no guarantees that it will be possible later, especially as you enter your senior years.
I'm in my 60's, but I think I topped out physically in my early-mid 50's. Things are still possible, but much harder now.

Coffee
03-25-2018, 15:37
I would advise anyone to do it sooner, not later. It's difficult enough now, and there are no guarantees that it will be possible later, especially as you enter your senior years.
I'm in my 60's, but I think I topped out physically in my early-mid 50's. Things are still possible, but much harder now.

I have seen family members go from healthy and active to permanently disabled overnight. No one knows how long we have on this earth, and of that time how much will be healthy years. There has to be a balance between doing things earlier in life and dealing with responsibilities and providing for old age financially. I've provided for my old age better than I have taken advantage of opportunities to fulfill my bucket list which is a mistake I've been remedying in recent years, or trying to remedy.

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 17:49
It's interesting how we perceive our individual actions and activities as selfish or not. I can think of many things we do daily and throughout the coarse of life that can very definitely be defined as selfish yet we don't perceive them as being selfish... Materialism, unbridled consumption, incessant shopping, engaging in unprotected sex,...for instance.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-25-2018, 18:16
I’ve decided to not wait until I retire. I’m lucky enough to have my wife’s support so I’m quitting work for 6 months, hiking, and finding a new gig when I get back. I don’t know what my health etc will be like in 20 years so I’m not going to risk it. Carpe diem and all that.

Spirit Walker
03-25-2018, 19:53
When my husband and I were trying to decide whether to go thruhike the CDT 7 years after our AT hike, we were concerned about how we were going to manage long term finances and saving for retirement. His field was very specialized and getting a new job wasn't always easy. However, when his younger brother had a triple bypass after his second heart attack, it was a lot easier to decide to take the risk and just go while we still had the health and money to go hike. Nothing is guaranteed, especially when it comes to health. In our case, it worked out well. We hiked the CDT and PCT, went back to work and saved enough to retire comfortably a few years later. Having frugal habits helped, a lot.

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 21:32
I live frugally literally in a glorified banana shack like shed so I can hike, travel, and adventure placing a priority on experiences rather than material wants. I went vegetarian eating everything on the farm to save money on food and medical. Main mode of travel is bicycling, second walking, with driving in my own vehicle, down the list. When in HI needing to travel further with less time I have access to a scooter that goes 55 mph. The PU stags in the driveway more often than not. Where I waste a lot of time lately is on the net blogging on sites like this when I could be will be doing other things living life rather than letting it pass me by doing BS like this.

Coffee
03-25-2018, 22:01
I live frugally literally in a glorified banana shack like shed so I can hike, travel, and adventure placing a priority on experiences rather than material wants. I went vegetarian eating everything on the farm to save money on food and medical. Main mode of travel is bicycling, second walking, with driving in my own vehicle, down the list. When in HI needing to travel further with less time I have access to a scooter that goes 55 mph. The PU stags in the driveway more often than not. Where I waste a lot of time lately is on the net blogging on sites like this when I could be will be doing other things living life rather than letting it pass me by doing BS like this.

Sounds a lot like my lifestyle - low rent apartment, no automobile, bike and walk everywhere, public transit when it is too far to walk, and few material possessions. At the end of the day, experiences count more than having "stuff" and I enjoy have a small footprint on the world. I recently quit facebook and twitter (huge time savings). I live so far below my means that I get grief for it at times by people who know me. Everyone else thinks I'm poor (or surely I'd have a car). I get a kick out of defying conventional wisdom and lifestyles.

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 22:06
Well, we do have some 2000 Kona COFFEE plants on the farm.

I think I've passed your house walking down the street. You're in the snazzy Maytag refrigerator box.:D

chknfngrs
03-26-2018, 09:12
Wow, this thread has gone in a direction I didn’t quite intend. But awesome nonethess to read what you people think! Life is a beautiful thing ain’t it? Thanks for writing in.... for the record not an 1811 and love hiking any trail I can get out on

OCDave
03-26-2018, 09:26
Pick up an actual newspaper once a week and scan the obituaries, note the ages of the desceased. This practice helps one consider their priorities. For example: an AT thru-hike planned 20 years in the future conveys that it is an interest but FAR down the list of priorities.

double d
03-26-2018, 12:43
I knew a guy who was a family friend of mine (a non-hiker) who couldn't wait until he retired at age 62 and guess what? He was diagnosed with cancer at age 63 and fought it very hard, but he died at age 65. That was about 15 years ago-and now as I approach age 50 myself, I think about him and his philosophy on retirement. As for me, I like the work I do a great deal (I teach history and sociology), but I also remember that "time waits for no one."

double d
03-26-2018, 12:45
Pick up an actual newspaper once a week and scan the obituaries, note the ages of the desceased. This practice helps one consider their priorities. For example: an AT thru-hike planned 20 years in the future conveys that it is an interest but FAR down the list of priorities. Yup-no doubt, that is great advice!!!

MuddyWaters
03-26-2018, 12:53
Pick up an actual newspaper once a week and scan the obituaries, note the ages of the desceased. This practice helps one consider their priorities. For example: an AT thru-hike planned 20 years in the future conveys that it is an interest but FAR down the list of priorities.

+
30% die before retirement.
Keep that in mind.

I could relate my own parents life after 63, but it would have you crying . You couldnt imagine a worse outcome for 2 good people looking forward to retirement.

chknfngrs
03-26-2018, 13:41
Make no mistake, I do not intend to sit idle while waiting to thru hike end to end in 2032. The beauty I see in life is enjoying the ride! So much to see and do, loving where I am and who I’m with. Each of us have a story and I’ve had to cut through the madness of social media to realize I am exactly where I need to be right now.

Coffee
03-26-2018, 14:00
This thread is getting morbid but the points being made are so important. I have seen people go from late middle aged to very elderly in short periods of time. Not all degradation in health is linear. Actually this thread has inspired me to try to hit most of my bucket list over the next five and a half years before I turn 50. Then I can view good years after that as a bonus.

chknfngrs
03-26-2018, 14:11
There ya go ^

jefals
03-26-2018, 14:38
Is the idea here to point out that young folks die, so if there's something you want to do, best go do it -- OR -- that by and large people are living a lot longer than they used to, so, if you're in fairly good health you'll likely be ok planning for retirement?

MtDoraDave
03-26-2018, 16:11
It's not just death.
I broke my collar bone 2 months ago mountain biking. Got titanium hardware now. Still haven't tried to put the backpack on, but the hardware could be a problem.
It reminded me of our (ok, "my") fragility. They considered not repairing it surgically, in which case I would have healed poorly, likely unable to lift my arm past 90 degrees from my torso. It would have changed my life, as I work with my hands and arms for a living.

So, as someone said above, enjoy life now. Plan for the future, but don't sacrifice your "now" in order to have some amazing future that may never happen.

As I said earlier, I've been saving for a thru hike (because it will NEVER happen if I don't save up for it), but I've also been doing sections of the trail since I started. I've come to understand the old saying: The journey IS the destination.

BuckeyeBill
03-26-2018, 16:45

The biggest problem where I live you see 20-35 year old listed with no mention of cause. Most obituaries say after battling cancer or as a result of an auto accident. After asking around you find out they died as a result of an overdose of heroin or fentynol. It is a so large across the state, that we are among the top nationally for ODs. Medical Examiners are flood and consistently running behind with their regular autopsies.

rickb
03-26-2018, 18:39
I retired at 55. Plan early and live below your means.
You may we’ll be the exception (as was my Father) but most people I know who manage to retire at 55 have at least one member of the family who worked for the government (teacher, LEO, military, etc.) and has a defined benefit pension of some sort, and perhaps even some sort of “free” medical benefits.

Of those that work in the private sector, I expect a great many have concluded that “the magic number” for savings they once thought would put them on easy street going into retirement is a whole lot more than they imagined — when looking at how long it needs to last.

Either way, congrats on your achievement!

Lnj
03-26-2018, 18:57

+1, Amen and amen...

One Half
03-26-2018, 19:02
I knew a guy who was a family friend of mine (a non-hiker) who couldn't wait until he retired at age 62 and guess what? He was diagnosed with cancer at age 63 and fought it very hard, but he died at age 65. That was about 15 years ago-and now as I approach age 50 myself, I think about him and his philosophy on retirement. As for me, I like the work I do a great deal (I teach history and sociology), but I also remember that "time waits for no one."

I can beat that for sad.

My dad's cousin - Uncle Bob - worked for decades for the airlines. All I remember him talking about was all the fun he would have when he retired. He was turning 65 and retiring a month later. His 65th birthday he comes out of the bedroom in the morning walking in to get his coffee. His lovely wife had just retired from teaching school the previous month. She turns to say good morning and he hits the deck! Docs said he was dead from a massive heart attack before he hit the floor. Course, he had been morbidly obese as long as I had known him. He never saw a day of retirement but his wife, she has been to some wonderful places since then. Truly one of the nicest guys you could ever know.

jgillam
03-26-2018, 19:29
I can beat that for sad.

My dad's cousin - Uncle Bob - worked for decades for the airlines. All I remember him talking about was all the fun he would have when he retired. He was turning 65 and retiring a month later. His 65th birthday he comes out of the bedroom in the morning walking in to get his coffee. His lovely wife had just retired from teaching school the previous month. She turns to say good morning and he hits the deck! Docs said he was dead from a massive heart attack before he hit the floor. Course, he had been morbidly obese as long as I had known him. He never saw a day of retirement but his wife, she has been to some wonderful places since then. Truly one of the nicest guys you could ever know.That...would...suck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
03-26-2018, 19:53
I'm planning to hit the trail on my birthday in April, 2049, the day I turn 90 to become the first 90 year old thru hiker. I'll do a flip flop. Start at HF and hike north first. Then fly down to to Springer and hike back to HF. I'll put a $100 bill under a rock where I start at HF. If it's there when I get back, I'll use it to buy myself a beer. BTW, don't tell anyone about the money. I really want that beer.

colorado_rob
03-26-2018, 20:19
You may we’ll be the exception (as was my Father) but most people I know who manage to retire at 55 have at least one member of the family who worked for the government (teacher, LEO, military, etc.) and has a defined benefit pension of some sort, and perhaps even some sort of “free” medical benefits.

Of those that work in the private sector, I expect a great many have concluded that “the magic number” for savings they once thought would put them on easy street going into retirement is a whole lot more than they imagined — when looking at how long it needs to last.
My retirement at 56 involves no free or even reduced health insurance, but a very modest pension, about half or maybe slightly less than we need to live on, so it's about drawing on savings, which of course for most, is the key.

Quite simple for a lot of folks, yet they don't listen to the sages of personal finance: Starting relatively young, put at least 10% of your paycheck into some sort of diversified investment. Period. How many on here do that? I realize some just plain cannot, but those that can, yet don't and choose to drive a new car every 2-3 years, etc, etc, well, if you cannot retire before 60, you're making different choices than I and my wife made. Save and live frugally! Then start playing in your 50's. Still plenty of time to enjoy the grandkids too....

Venchka
03-26-2018, 20:36
Retirement and backpacking should come as no surprise.
Apparently retired Geezer Boomers are the fastest growing group of backpackers.
Have fun Y’all!
Wayne

rickb
03-26-2018, 20:44
My retirement at 56 involves no free or even reduced health insurance, but a very modest pension, about half or maybe slightly less than we need to live on, so it's about drawing on savings, which of course for most, is the key..
It’s a tricky question, but I do know that even a modest pension has tremendous value — especially if it is guaranteed by the government and is indexed to inflation.

To pick a number out of the air, I cannot help but wonder what the financial gurus would see as worth more (in an objective, mathematical sense) for a person your age — a$15,000 pension guaranteed by the government and indexed to inflation, or $500,000 in the bank?

I get your point, though. I am struggling with my own magic number now.

jefals
03-26-2018, 20:58
Quite simple for a lot of folks, yet they don't listen to the sages of personal finance: Starting relatively young, put at least 10% of your paycheck into some sort of diversified investment. Period. How many on here do that? I realize some just plain cannot, but those that can, yet don't and choose to drive a new car every 2-3 years, etc, ....
Amen to this! Hard to believe folks really can't save 10%. I ask my kids often how different life would be for them if their paycheck was 10% less. They seem to get it, but never start saving, always with that line "I just can't afford it".
Another aspect of it is that they aren't interested in learning about things like stocks, investments.
Finally my son - at 38 - started some kind of plan. Called Acorn. I think he said it's tied to his credit card or debit card, so if he spends 1.10, they round up to the next dollar - so, in this case they take 90 cents - and that goes into a diversified portfolio. Dividends are reinvested. So far, he's got 15 cents in dividends! Hey -- it's a start!

OCDave
03-26-2018, 21:00
Is the idea here to point out that young folks die, so if there's something you want to do, best go do it -- OR -- that by and large people are living a lot longer than they used to, so, if you're in fairly good health you'll likely be ok planning for retirement?
I thought my context was clear but, I guess it does depend upon one's philisophical view. I suggest you do it for a few weeks and let us know what you take from the experience.

jefals
03-26-2018, 21:13
I thought my context was clear but, I guess it does depend upon one's philisophical view. I suggest you do it for a few weeks and let us know what you take from the experience.
No thanks. I'm not interested in spending my time studying obit statistics. So, without crunching the numbers, I can just repeat - you'll find both. Young folks do die before they should, but folks overall live longer. So, hard to make your plans based on what you read in the obits. IMO

T.S.Kobzol
03-26-2018, 21:14
It would be interesting to see how much each member thinks the could have saved to retire...I bet we would get an interesting variety of perspectives

TexasBob
03-26-2018, 21:31
It’s a tricky question, but I do know that even a modest pension has tremendous value — especially if it is guaranteed by the government and is indexed to inflation. To pick a number out of the air, I cannot help but wonder what the financial gurus would see as worth more (in an objective, mathematical sense) for a person your age — a$15,000 pension guaranteed by the government and indexed to inflation, or $500,000 in the bank?..........

To answer your question the $15,000 pension vs the $500,000 in the bank would probably provide about the same amount of yearly income in today's environment provided you invested the $500,000 in something other than a saving account or CD. Vanquard, Fidelity etc. have calculators online that can help you figure out how much you will need to retire, how long your savings will last etc. Check out this link https://investor.vanguard.com/retirement/

double d
03-27-2018, 00:21
I can beat that for sad.

My dad's cousin - Uncle Bob - worked for decades for the airlines. All I remember him talking about was all the fun he would have when he retired. He was turning 65 and retiring a month later. His 65th birthday he comes out of the bedroom in the morning walking in to get his coffee. His lovely wife had just retired from teaching school the previous month. She turns to say good morning and he hits the deck! Docs said he was dead from a massive heart attack before he hit the floor. Course, he had been morbidly obese as long as I had known him. He never saw a day of retirement but his wife, she has been to some wonderful places since then. Truly one of the nicest guys you could ever know. PennyPincher, that is a tough story to read, I'm sorry he died without enjoying his retirement. There is a lot of wisdom in his story-thanks for sharing it.

rocketsocks
03-27-2018, 00:31
Nothin’ beats pullin’ a “nooner ‘r sooner” on a Friday and tellin’ the boss to go pound sand!

jefals
03-27-2018, 01:26
It’s a tricky question, but I do know that even a modest pension has tremendous value — especially if it is guaranteed by the government and is indexed to inflation. To pick a number out of the air, I cannot help but wonder what the financial gurus would see as worth more (in an objective, mathematical sense) for a person your age — a$15,000 pension guaranteed by the government and indexed to inflation, or $500,000 in the bank?..........

To answer your question the $15,000 pension vs the $500,000 in the bank would probably provide about the same amount of yearly income in today's environment provided you invested the $500,000 in something other than a saving account or CD. Vanquard, Fidelity etc. have calculators online that can help you figure out how much you will need to retire, how long your savings will last etc. Check out this link https://investor.vanguard.com/retirement/
Huh? You’re already retired, so that $15,000 pension isn't growing is it? Aren't you tapping into it already? What is the thinking that this could be equal to $500,000?
Or, are you saying that your pension is paying you $15,000 / year?
If that's the case, that's better than 500,000 in the bank . That would be a 3% return on 500,000 which so far is better than bank cds. Rates are slowly rising, tho...Keep checking back every few months...

One Half
03-27-2018, 06:44
PennyPincher, that is a tough story to read, I'm sorry he died without enjoying his retirement. There is a lot of wisdom in his story-thanks for sharing it.
The lesson: Carpe Diem! This is why we are "going homeless" within the next 4 years to hike the AT.

Coffee
03-27-2018, 06:48
Huh? You’re already retired, so that $15,000 pension isn't growing is it? Aren't you tapping into it already? What is the thinking that this could be equal to $500,000?
Or, are you saying that your pension is paying you $15,000 / year?
If that's the case, that's better than 500,000 in the bank . That would be a 3% return on 500,000 which so far is better than bank cds. Rates are slowly rising, tho...Keep checking back every few months...

Six month treasury bills already pay nearly 2%, are totally liquid, and exempt from state income tax. Big banks fleece customers, don't be taken in by their CD scams.

Retirement portfolios should not be invested entirely in cash. I keep several years of projected spending needs in treasuries but invest the rest in securities. This is my area of expertise but most people can do almost as well just buying index funds.

blw2
03-27-2018, 07:02
I find this discussion interesting...on a couple levels.

one - the target dates or ages. I'm curious where the numbers come from. In days past when companies actually gave pensions....well I suppose some public sector jobs still do (police, fire, military)....then it makes sense in a way......you have an eligible date.
Otherwise it seems to me the other two categories are a) the frugal free-spirit that isn't so caught up in such things, or b) the planner/saver busy stocking money away into a 401k or some such thing.... So for these, picking that date seems harder in a way. What criteria do you use? (in case you can't guess, I'm in the 'b' category. I work now primarily for insurance, with young kids at home.... and secondarily to help save for weddings and college. Honestly I find the online calculators a bit puzzling too.... I mean how do I know, how much money I'm going to need 15 years from now??? I remember back in the early part of this century talking with my wife loosely planning retire by 50. Well, more kids, a recession, and life got in the way of that.... I find myself now longing to 'semi-retire', but how do you ever know if it's enough in that 401k? Retiring and living frugally at home vs retiring to travel and enjoy, is the variable that puts a big question mark on it....well that along with health insurance.

two - the other interesting thing is the level of support one gets from home.....along with the priorities that I put on myself. I'm firmly in the camp where my personal feeling is that I have responsibility at home and would just feel guilty leaving the family for a long period of time. At the same time I'm also getting lately that my wife wouldn't bee too keen on supporting that either. I wanted to do just a week section this summer, have been talking about it for over a year.....but she wants to do something together... I do too, but can't do both. SO I was going to try for something this spring, and that fell through because of my responsibilities as a dad. It's a circle.

Coffee
03-27-2018, 07:12
There is a lot written on retirement blogs and websites about "the number" needed to retire with conventional wisdom centering on the "4% rule", which means that you can take 4% of your initial savings out in year one and then increase each annual withdrawal with inflation and have a very good chance of having the funds last a "typical" retirement of a few decades. I personally find this rule too aggressive, especially for early retirees and especially in a world of very low interest rates following a nearly uninterrupted nine year bull market in stocks. 2.5 or 3% seems more prudent to me. But the problem is that this works out to some big numbers. If you want to take $50,000 out annually, using a 3% rule implies needing $1.7 million saved. A 2.5% rule implies having $2 million saved. Heck, even using the 4% rule I don't like implies needing $1.25 million. Most people won't come close to those numbers. That's where the backpacking (or generally frugal) lifestyle helps. It can be funded on a whole lot less than $50,000 per year.

rocketsocks
03-27-2018, 07:17
I see a whole lotta people headed for tent city before it’s over, but just because you live in a tent city, dosent mean it has to be IN a city...expand your horizons if your not gonna save and live a conservative life.

T.S.Kobzol
03-27-2018, 08:03
Yeah. The online retirement calculators are good as a starting point when you're trying to figure things out on your own but to try to have a social conversation at a forum and be sent to an online retirement calculator does not do much (not trying to be critical of the person who suggested it) ... to me it is more interesting to see how much users think they could get by with and enjoy their life - the amounts will vary from state to state due to various costs of living and ideas of what to do.

I find this discussion interesting...on a couple levels.

one - the target dates or ages. I'm curious where the numbers come from. In days past when companies actually gave pensions....well I suppose some public sector jobs still do (police, fire, military)....then it makes sense in a way......you have an eligible date.
Otherwise it seems to me the other two categories are a) the frugal free-spirit that isn't so caught up in such things, or b) the planner/saver busy stocking money away into a 401k or some such thing.... So for these, picking that date seems harder in a way. What criteria do you use? (in case you can't guess, I'm in the 'b' category. I work now primarily for insurance, with young kids at home.... and secondarily to help save for weddings and college. Honestly I find the online calculators a bit puzzling too.... I mean how do I know, how much money I'm going to need 15 years from now??? I remember back in the early part of this century talking with my wife loosely planning retire by 50. Well, more kids, a recession, and life got in the way of that.... I find myself now longing to 'semi-retire', but how do you ever know if it's enough in that 401k? Retiring and living frugally at home vs retiring to travel and enjoy, is the variable that puts a big question mark on it....well that along with health insurance.

two - the other interesting thing is the level of support one gets from home.....along with the priorities that I put on myself. I'm firmly in the camp where my personal feeling is that I have responsibility at home and would just feel guilty leaving the family for a long period of time. At the same time I'm also getting lately that my wife wouldn't bee too keen on supporting that either. I wanted to do just a week section this summer, have been talking about it for over a year.....but she wants to do something together... I do too, but can't do both. SO I was going to try for something this spring, and that fell through because of my responsibilities as a dad. It's a circle.

TexasBob
03-27-2018, 08:27
Yeah. The online retirement calculators are good as a starting point when you're trying to figure things out on your own but to try to have a social conversation at a forum and be sent to an online retirement calculator does not do much (not trying to be critical of the person who suggested it) ... to me it is more interesting to see how much users think they could get by with and enjoy their life - the amounts will vary from state to state due to various costs of living and ideas of what to do.

I was just trying to help out rickb and didn't mean to spoil the party. It is just short of a brain scramble to try to figure out how much money you need to retire and the younger you start the better off you are. To your question about the amount you need to be happy, I need way less than my wife. I almost started crying this week because my 31 year old weed eater won't start. I would fix it but I can't find all the parts I need. I ended up having to buy a new one and this one better last till I am 94. I don't mind spending money on the back packing gear but otherwise I am pretty cheap.

map man
03-27-2018, 08:28
It would be interesting to see how much each member thinks the could have saved to retire...I bet we would get an interesting variety of perspectives

I don't have a pension, but do have a 403b plan (the public sector version of a 401k) and a Roth IRA. I decided my "number" is 15 times my annual salary if I want to retire by 60. My wife has also had a full time job for as long as we've been together and a 403b plan that's been accumulating for over 25 years. That makes a difference. I also live in a fairly low cost area (Iowa) with no plans to move to a high cost locale after I retire -- that too makes a difference.

I think most people are not at the extreme end of either side of this debate. We are not putting off all enjoyment until retirement, and not chucking everything and living only for right now either. We settle at where we are comfortable on the continuum between those two points.

T.S.Kobzol
03-27-2018, 08:41
...so obviously, if we retire at the 'retirement age' set by the government then we'll get that part of the pension. The amount you get will vary greatly if you were a waiter all your life or if you were a doctor. To retire early is to somehow utilize money saved in addition to social security without depleting it too much so that we can enjoy the extra kickback when we combine Social Security check with our personal retirement saving. I think the reason some of us here talk about retiring around 57 is that there is a legal rule to be able to withdraw out of your 401K before your retirement age without a penalty. I think the age for that is after 56 years old.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2018, 08:47
...so obviously, if we retire at the 'retirement age' set by the government then we'll get that part of the pension. The amount you get will vary greatly if you were a waiter all your life or if you were a doctor. To retire early is to somehow utilize money saved in addition to social security without depleting it too much so that we can enjoy the extra kickback when we combine Social Security check with our personal retirement saving. I think the reason some of us here talk about retiring around 57 is that there is a legal rule to be able to withdraw out of your 401K before your retirement age without a penalty. I think the age for that is after 56 years old.
How about they just dont wanna work no more?
Say you could retire at 55 and live on $50k/yr

Or at 65,and live on $150k/yr

Everyone got different priorities

Which would you pick?

T.S.Kobzol
03-27-2018, 08:49
I could live on 50k/yr quite comfortably. Actually I could do with 30k/yr although I would not reside in the USA most of the year - only for long distance trips and visits to see my kids and future grandchildren.

jefals
03-27-2018, 08:52
Six month treasury bills already pay nearly 2%, are totally liquid, and exempt from state income tax. Big banks fleece customers, don't be taken in by their CD scams.

Retirement portfolios should not be invested entirely in cash. I keep several years of projected spending needs in treasuries but invest the rest in securities. This is my area of expertise but most people can do almost as well just buying index funds.
The yields on the treasuries and the cds are pretty close. You can get higher yields on both if you go longer term. Coffee's right, the income on the treasuries aren't taxed at the state level. They ARE, on your federal return. (Some states it's a wash, since none of your income is taxed anyway).
I agree with Coffee about not having all your retirement in cash, however I know a lot of folks are not comfortable with the markets and consider it gambling. I would suggest that if you WERE comfortable with stocks , you'd know how to do a lot better than 2 or 3% and safely.
Of course, this isn't the only way to generate income in retirement. Some people invest in real estate. Some folks are making 100k/year, selling stuff on ebay.
Pros and cons to all these. It's all personal, and whatever you do, you need to be able to sleep well. Worrying about your money can ruin your health, so be sure you educate yourself about your choices so you are comfortable with them.

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 08:53
There is a lot written on retirement blogs and websites about "the number" needed to retire with conventional wisdom centering on the "4% rule", which means that you can take 4% of your initial savings out in year one and then increase each annual withdrawal with inflation and have a very good chance of having the funds last a "typical" retirement of a few decades. I personally find this rule too aggressive, especially for early retirees and especially in a world of very low interest rates following a nearly uninterrupted nine year bull market in stocks. 2.5 or 3% seems more prudent to me.Agree on the 4% rule being a bit aggressive these days, I'm trying to use 3%, so far, so good.....

By the way, CD's are coming up a bit finally (but of course, that's a harbinger to inflation as well....). Just yesterday I bought some 2.875 3-year FDIC insured CD's, here are the paticulars, including the CUSIP:

WELLS FARGO BANK NA (SD)
3 YEAR, Non Callable
CUSIP: 949763PW0
100.000 2.785 2.785 24,665/1 Buy Primary
04/10/2018

And 5-year CD's are over 3% now (3.022 at Goldman Sachs), though I'm not interested in those longer term CD's in this rising rate environment, I have CD ladders of 3-month to 3-year maturities. CD ladders are cool for conservative investors, like myself. Well, finally cool, not so cool a year ago when rates were pathetic.

And think about learning about corporate bonds... not bond funds where the manager gets about 1/4-1/3rd of your gain, but just direct bond buying. Get thoroughly educated though, there are pitfalls.

I'm talking here about the conservative portion of a total portfolio, the balance of the higher return stock/equity side, what ever percentage in each one is comfy with these days.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 09:14
Welcome to the Suze Orman show.:p

MuddyWaters
03-27-2018, 09:22
If you dont have retirement money in investments, inflation eats it up.

The government hides real inflation rate.

No risk free return keeps up with real inflation in last decade since 2007.

Its a racket. Its a fake market.
Its goverment rigged now
And you have to participate to keep up

All you have to know, is dont sell at the bottom...
Have enough to wait it out
5 yrs, 10 yrs , etc
Theres always an exit point thats good
Dont worry about it

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 09:29
Conspiracy theories and watching too much bad TV are two of many reasons people flounder financially.

Another Kevin
03-27-2018, 09:32
I hope never to be able to thru-hike. Because if I become able, that means some sort of disaster has struck.

I have responsibilities in my family, in my church, in my community, in a broader world. Some of the wider-ranging ones are hard to fulfil while I'm still working for The Man. I do what I can, and always see more that needs doing. There are many causes that today I can support only with my treasure, while they call out for my time and talents as well.

I love hiking, as a way to recharge the spirit, and I love coming back to the world with renewed purpose.

Walking away from my life for half a year? The only way that's going to happen is if the ties that I have with people who depend on me are broken. God forbid! No, even after I'm done with drawing a paycheck, I'll still be trying to do good work, and sometimes breaking away to play. I'll be blessed if that can keep up until the time comes to walk that lonesome valley home.

Definitely, HYOH. There are a lot among you who feel less bound to the world than I am. You may well be more enlightened than I am as. Surely, some of the great sages have said that life is all about letting go of your attachments. It's just not how I roll. Jesus told Martha not to envy Mary for having chosen the better portion. Significantly, though, he didn't tell Martha not to go on about making sure that He and His disciples had a meal on the table and a place to sleep. Both were needed - the mystic listening to the Word and the labourer carrying out the good work.

For me, then, worrying about retirement is a lot more about supporting myself, those I have responsibility for, and my charities, than it is about maintaining, say, a traveling lifestyle. I still worry, even though I've tried to lead a life of prudence. What with one thing and another, I came late to being "settled down." I was in and out of grad school for years, and that wipes you out! Still, I've been paying maximum Social Security all my working life, have always stashed at least 10% of what I make into saving for retirement, and have worked for all these years since school at a job with a defined-benefit pension. That's the "three-legged stool," say the financial advisors. I can be content, too, with a fairly minimal lifestyle. What backpacker cannot? We all become accustomed to living for days at a time with only what we can carry.

But then I look at the business and political landscape, and I worry. I am guessing that my company may not be long for this world, and it's catastrophically underfunded its pensions. (The pension shortfalls in American business across the board are likely to wipe out the government's insurance program, too.) I don't know to what extent I can trust that the money in my 401(k) actually exists - what actually keeps the bankers from selling counterfeit stocks? There's no deposit insurance on those accounts. How do I know that I won't wake up one morning and find that some banker Madoff with them? And we've all heard the tidings of doom surrounding Social Security and Medicare.

What's most worrisome is that when I hear the politicians playing to either the disaffected workers or the angry Millennials, they reframe the issue. I hope that some of the money that I've been squirreling away all these years will still be there when I need it. To the politicians - on both sides of the aisle - that hope becomes a desire to sponge off the government. The wish to be able to take out some of what I put in becomes a wish for a handout. At the same time, I already also hear the grumbles that people like me are holding on to jobs that rightfully belong to younger folk. The attitude of those coming after me seems to be, "why don't you just die already so that we can have your job and your possessions?" Sorry, I'm not eager to go before my time!

The Preacher warns that time and chance happen to us all. Still, the Master told us to take no thought for the morrow. His grace is sufficient.

What this all adds up to: Even if I'm not contemplating a major thru-hike in retirement (well, maybe a little thru-hike, I've kind of got a bug in my ear about the NY Long Path) there's still the question of when to give up the regular job. I'm guessing that one of these days the company will decide that for me. They may very well be doing me a favour- forcing my hand to go and do the next thing.

TexasBob
03-27-2018, 09:50
................But the problem is that this works out to some big numbers. If you want to take $50,000 out annually, using a 3% rule implies needing $1.7 million saved. A 2.5% rule implies having $2 million saved. Heck, even using the 4% rule I don't like implies needing $1.25 million. Most people won't come close to those numbers. That's where the backpacking (or generally frugal) lifestyle helps. It can be funded on a whole lot less than $50,000 per year.

You are right and this is good advice. I think it is a shame that a lot of people don't start thinking about retirement early enough in life to give them selves a chance to save the kind of money you are talking about. When your 55 its too late to make a big a difference in how much money there will be when you retire and your lifestyle maybe significantly different in retirement than you envision it will be.

Lyle
03-27-2018, 10:21
I think the key, if you really want to retire early, is to lower your consumption dramatically. Just think, seriously, about how much "stuff" you have and worry about that is completely unnecessary and not really contributing, in any significant way, to your happiness or health. It's mind boggling.

Look at all the folks who have simplified their lives and are living day to day, and happier than they have ever been. Check out the van dwellers/tiny house folks for ideas on a new and simpler lifestyle.

We tend, if we really think about it, to accomplish and acquire the things we really decide to. It really does come down to making a decision, 95% of the time.

pesphoto
03-27-2018, 10:31
I think the key, if you really want to retire early, is to lower your consumption dramatically. Just think, seriously, about how much "stuff" you have and worry about that is completely unnecessary and not really contributing, in any significant way, to your happiness or health. It's mind boggling.

Look at all the folks who have simplified their lives and are living day to day, and happier than they have ever been. Check out the van dwellers/tiny house folks for ideas on a new and simpler lifestyle.

We tend, if we really think about it, to accomplish and acquire the things we really decide to. It really does come down to making a decision, 95% of the time.

100 % agree, I'm working on this now, got rid of all debt, and many or most possessions. Next up is to ditch the house( which I will never pay off) and figure out an alternate way to live despite what the expectations of most of the rest of society is. Not that living in an rv or tiny house doesn't come without its pitfalls and issues but it sure seems like a good way to go as I get older. Nowadays there do seem to be alternate ways to go if you look and plan enough.

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 10:33
I think the key, if you really want to retire early, is to lower your consumption dramatically. Just think, seriously, about how much "stuff" you have and worry about that is completely unnecessary and not really contributing, in any significant way, to your happiness or health. EXCEPT, of course, gear. Right? :-)

Coffee
03-27-2018, 10:41

Lowering consumption during working years also has the beneficial effect of requiring less savings to maintain that lifestyle in retirement. Otherwise, people will experience a "cliff" where they go from consuming a lot while working to much less in retirement. For most people, the goal is to maintain standard of living in retirement. Of course it is easier to maintain a standard of living that costs less money to begin with. The good news is that the backpacking lifestyle is minimalist by nature. Not everyone takes the minimalism of the trail into "real life" but those who do will be able to retire sooner than others.

I've never believed that higher levels of consumption leads to happiness. Some of the most miserable people on earth are very rich and consume a great deal and it still doesn't make them happy.

rhjanes
03-27-2018, 10:53
First step should be to see what you are currently spending. The "budget". In 2012, my company started laying off people. I called our financial guy in a panic. He let me ramble on and then said "you live well within your means.....your retirement is already fully funded....so what you NEED to do, is go home and determine what you are spending. The cash flow". I did that. I found out that we could "almost" live on my wife's salary. She hopes to work 7 more years. So that should be our health insurance (a MAJOR part of any retirement or early retirement). There are a lot of things I wish to do, that she has no interest in. Hiking, car travel. So, our plan had me retiring early (62) and I'd be good to go do those things....awaiting her to retire and then if she wants that "airplane, to Paris, to London"....OK.....I'll go because I've already driven up to visit all the places I want to go see (and she doesn't).

The 4 percent rule. I have a spread sheet and track our retirement funds. Social included. Hence by plugging in those numbers, the 4 % applies and I know "when we retire, we will have the SAME income we have now.....the one we don't spend!". I was discussing the 4 percent "rule of thumb" with the financial guy and he said "it still is a decent enough what-if number......AND, early in your retirement, don't sweat taking MORE of that....". Why? Well, when you are 65 and in decent health a 3 week trip to Europe, or a car trip around the USA, or.....you will spend MORE than the 4 percent that year. But when you are 78, have two bad knees, and other health issues, now a 3 week car trip is probably out of the question.

Everyone is unique....

I keep reminding the kids "save for retirement and those rainy days".....

Coffee
03-27-2018, 11:16
Well, when you are 65 and in decent health a 3 week trip to Europe, or a car trip around the USA, or.....you will spend MORE than the 4 percent that year. But when you are 78, have two bad knees, and other health issues, now a 3 week car trip is probably out of the question.

That's true. But the flip side is that later in retirement health care costs can rise dramatically, especially for nursing care, and even more so it one wants to avoid nursing homes. You can plan and plan and still fall short so there's something to be said for seizing opportunities to get out and do active pursuits while still able to.

perrymk
03-27-2018, 11:26
http://www.shoecomics.com/archives/shoe_daily/shoe_daily032518.jpg

soilman
03-27-2018, 11:40
I retired over 8 years ago. One thing that is overlooked when planning retirement is the cost of working. When I was working over 20% of my salary went towards retirement. I was spending over $200/month on parking and gas. Then you have the wear and tear on your car. I used to average about 15k miles/year, now I am about 6k/year. I no longer have to buy clothes and shoes for work.

rickb
03-27-2018, 13:01
Vanquard, Fidelity etc. have calculators online that can help you figure out how much you will need to retire, how long your savings will last etc. Check out this link https://investor.vanguard.com/retirement/

Thanks TexasBob.

While speaking of calculations, I think I found a very good one here:

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/

It is $40 for a 1 year license, but allows you to down load your earnings record from Social Security Administration, and is not “dumbed down” like so many you find on line.

I have run run more than a few “What if scenarios” at 3AM.

I do think this stuff is very much Trail related :).

TexasBob
03-27-2018, 13:21
Thanks TexasBob.

While speaking of calculations, I think I found a very good one here:

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/

It is $40 for a 1 year license, but allows you to down load your earnings record from Social Security Administration, and is not “dumbed down” like so many you find on line.

I have run run more than a few “What if scenarios” at 3AM.

I do think this stuff is very much Trail related :).

You are welcome and good luck.

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 14:10
That whole "when to draw Social Security" is a complex subject. I did a thorough Monte Carlo analysis for our own particular situation a couple years ago, the bottom line for us is, statistically, for me to start drawing at 65. For a sanity check of my own calculations, I might have to check out that $40 thing, thanks for the link, thanks Rickb.

Coffee
03-27-2018, 14:28
I plan to draw social security only when I am 70 to maximize benefits. These are the only benefits I'll ever have that are "officially" inflation protected. I view it as insurance against living to an extremely old age. I also have Roth IRAs that will be totally off limits until extreme old age (if not, my heirs will inherit the Roths). I'd like to avoid institutional settings if I ever need nursing care.

BuckeyeBill
03-27-2018, 15:01
I had to go to a rehab center after having surgery and It cost me over $1,700.00 per month plus rehab charges and a bunch of prescriptions. I had great insurance but a high deductible. The people that work at my two businesses have the same insurance plan, but I pay their deductible. They are the greatest group of people you have in your employ and I enjoy taking care of them.

glenlawson
03-27-2018, 15:13
I'm planning a thru hike in 2028 or 2029. I'm a teacher and I plan on going SOBO once the final school year has ended. My long term goal is to keep all the body parts in working order so I can make this happen.

jefals
03-27-2018, 15:17
I plan to draw social security only when I am 70 to maximize benefits. These are the only benefits I'll ever have that are "officially" inflation protected. I view it as insurance against living to an extremely old age. I also have Roth IRAs that will be totally off limits until extreme old age (if not, my heirs will inherit the Roths). I'd like to avoid institutional settings if I ever need nursing care.
Yeah, that's what I did on the social, too, and REALLY glad I did. My experience with most financial websites is they mostly tell you to do this, too, if you're reasonably healthy and can afford to wait...

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 15:24
Be a little bit cautious on the "wait to 70" thing for SS, it will depend a lot on the prevailing interest rates and inflation in your mid-60's, and whether or not SS is doing reasonable COLA's (and of course on your overall health/longevity expectations). This is all built in to a detailed statistical (Monte Carlo) analysis, if you care to do one sometime.

Nanatuk
03-27-2018, 17:22
I worry that they will eventually start applying a "Means" test to SS. Might still be an insurance policy but you'll have to spend down your assets to get to it.

TexasBob
03-27-2018, 17:49
I worry that they will eventually start applying a "Means" test to SS..................

I think it is a just a matter of time before this happens. I hope I am wrong.

One Half
03-27-2018, 18:19

"inflation protected" is a joke if you look at the "official inflation rate" lately. The .gov loves to claim inflation is low even though they have to screw with the numbers and formula to make it look like that. Reality is in the pocket book!

And I have no idea how old you are but we used to get an annual SS statement that specifically laid out that by 2027(?) SSA predicts they will only be paying out 78% of "earned benefits." So if you qualify for $1000/mo. Too bad. They will only have $780 for you. And it gets worse from there on out "without major changes to the system." (ie increase in withholdings from current/future earners) I think you can find this info on the SSA website.

jefals
03-27-2018, 18:31
Be a little bit cautious on the "wait to 70" thing for SS, it will depend a lot on the prevailing interest rates and inflation in your mid-60's, and whether or not SS is doing reasonable COLA's (and of course on your overall health/longevity expectations). This is all built in to a detailed statistical (Monte Carlo) analysis, if you care to do one sometime.
Then there's the question of whether or not you need the income before 70. If you're still working and can live on your work income, why not let that SS ride so that when you do retire and really need it, you'll be getting as much as possible.

Coffee
03-27-2018, 19:02
I work in finance so I'm aware of the games the government plays with CPI. Nevertheless, having some degree of inflation adjustment is not common and very valuable unless something fundamental in the social contract changes. There seems to be no support in either party to mess with social security or Medicare. I'm a couple of decades from benefitting from either program so obviously much can change but if I had to bet, I'd bet on higher levels of taxation and no cuts in real benefits of entitlements.

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 19:21
Then there's the question of whether or not you need the income before 70. If you're still working and can live on your work income, why not let that SS ride so that when you do retire and really need it, you'll be getting as much as possible.yup, it's complex. I need X amount of money a year above my meagher pension, and I can either keep draining my savings from 65-70, hoping my investment returns sorta keep up, or start drawing SS earlier. Simulations show for my situation the latter makes more sense. Waiting for 70 just because you'll get more income then, though losing income earlier that could be making returns, is not a good reason.

rickb
03-27-2018, 20:04
S
yup, it's complex. I need X amount of money a year above my meagher pension, and I can either keep draining my savings from 65-70, hoping my investment returns sorta keep up, or start drawing SS earlier. Simulations show for my situation the latter makes more sense. Waiting for 70 just because you'll get more income then, though losing income earlier that could be making returns, is not a good reason.

That $40 calculator I linked to is clever in that after you enter the retirement dates for both you and your spouse — and expected life expectancies — it will calculate the present value of your SS checks. It will also show the retirement dates that give the maximum possible present value for that income stream.

It allows you to manipulate every possible varriabe including inflation and real rate of retun used to discount the cash flow, and does a decent job of explaining why it picked the default values it did — and why you should understand the theory behind them before just plugging in your own number (but it’s hard to resist).

While I am not sure I want to be one of the 2% of retirees that wait until age 70 to take my benefits, the calculator suggested it was a strategy worth considering for most of the “what ifs” I have run so far.

On thing I have not been able to wrap my head around is how taking benefits early impacts Widow benefits — which I understand can impacted dramatically by that strategy. My MBA didn’t prepare me for this!

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 20:21
On thing I have not been able to wrap my head around is how taking benefits early impacts Widow benefits — which I understand can impacted dramatically by that strategy. My MBA didn’t prepare me for this! Yikes! I haven't thought about this yet either. And my wife will surely outlive me, something else to consider!

TexasBob
03-27-2018, 21:04
I work in finance so I'm aware of the games the government plays with CPI. Nevertheless, having some degree of inflation adjustment is not common and very valuable unless something fundamental in the social contract changes. There seems to be no support in either party to mess with social security or Medicare. I'm a couple of decades from benefitting from either program so obviously much can change but if I had to bet, I'd bet on higher levels of taxation and no cuts in real benefits of entitlements.

As interest rates increase to a more historically normal level, the pressure on the budget will increase correspondingly taking a larger portion of the budget to service interest on the growing national debt and reducing available funds for other things. Social security taxes already take 15% (employee and employer contribution combined) of salaries now and I wonder whether there is the will in Congress to increase them as they are seen by some as a regressive tax. When I get my social security statements it does warn that I may only get 75% of what they estimate my benefit would be. At some point something has to give and my guess is that there will be no ceiling (or at least a much higher ceiling) on income subject to social security tax and a phased in means test to address shortfalls in the social security system in an effort to shift available funds to those with the least retirement income. Not saying this is something I want to happen or taking a side either way just saying I think this more likely than an increase in social security taxes.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 22:14
Its a hiking based website. Please make the connection to hiking if you want to bring in economics. This thread is getting to the edge of politics. Some enticing economic discussion of opinions where I suspect many would like to chime in but this isnt the Money Mustache website or a Suzie Orman Q&A just as it isnt a food politics, rah rah organic food, or general social or cultural issues website.

FreshStart
03-28-2018, 00:08
My wife and I planned to thru when we retired. This passed year my father passed at 62 in a motorcycle accident. Completely changed my plans about our hike and life altogether. We are doing it in 2019. Do it when you can, now. You never know, in the blink of an eye it can all change. Good luck!!

colorado_rob
03-28-2018, 09:08
Its a hiking based website. Please make the connection to hiking if you want to bring in economics. This thread is getting to the edge of politics. Some enticing economic discussion of opinions where I suspect many would like to chime in but this isnt the Money Mustache website or a Suzie Orman Q&A just as it isnt a food politics, rah rah organic food, or general social or cultural issues website.Can't exactly tell what you're saying, but IMHO this financial discussion is pertinent to the OP. And with due respect my friend, who are you to slam a slight bit of drift, if you in fact are doing so? And finally, who the heck is Suzie Orman? Don't answer that, I don't care, sounds like a TV show of some sort.

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 10:01

Can't exactly tell what you're saying, but IMHO this financial discussion is pertinent to the OP. And with due respect my friend, who are you to slam a slight bit of drift, if you in fact are doing so? And finally, who the heck is Suzie Orman? Don't answer that, I don't care, sounds like a TV show of some sort.

Reading the OP's opening statement the word afford was not solely used in context of economics - money management - but time management. :confused:

Guilty as charged but how does my guilt excuse 8 pages of other's thread drift?

imscotty
03-28-2018, 10:28
Guilty as charged but how does my guilt excuse 8 pages of other's thread drift?

It does not need to be excused, this is one of the most useful threads I have ever seen on Whiteblaze. And if you cannot afford to thru-hike, or cannot stop working long enough to thru-hike, well there goes your dream of try-hiking. I find this thread very pertinent to hiking.

Please carry on....

rhjanes
03-28-2018, 10:40
In our local paper, there is a Tuesday syndicated column by a retired Social Security guy. VERY informative!
his name is Tom Margenau. His columns are also here.... https://www.creators.com/read/your-social-security

About 4 times a year, he is talking the Widows benefits, or the File&Suspend options (which have all changed...I think if you are not old enough to already be filing, it won't matter), he talks maximization strategies.

And yeah, figuring out HOW to pay for "life to hike" with all of peoples personal variables, is very informative to me.

rhjanes
03-28-2018, 10:44
someone posted earlier, about requesting a sabbatical. A guy I've hiked with a few times, did just that. BUT, understand. He was already retired from the military. And he was in health care. He'd been hiking shorter trails, done some sections on the AT. He told them in early January, he wanted a sabbatical for 6 months to thru hike the AT. they said "no". He then said "so my last day will be end of March" (knowing in health care, he can interview on Monday and start work the next week). They backed down in minutes.....he got his sabbatical. Since he has military health care, all he wanted was the job to be there when he came back. And being in "retirement" years....makes difference.

jefals
03-28-2018, 11:24
I need X amount of money a year above my meagher pension, and I can either keep draining my savings from 65-70, hoping my investment returns sorta keep up, or start drawing SS earlier. Simulations show for my situation the latter makes more sense. Waiting for 70 just because you'll get more income then, though losing income earlier that could be making returns, is not a good reason.
It is complicated, I agree. And it's definitely a personal thing. I faced the same thing. Retired at 66, needed more income than my investments could provide. But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! I thought, "Do I really want to give up that extra income every month - for maybe 40 years - or can I inconvenience myself, make some sacrifices for 4 more years"? I'd already been working 42 years, so 4 more didn't seem to be too heavy a price. I would have driven Uber or worked Walmart or Home Depot those years if I had to. Could have sold the house, and bought a smaller one with no mortgage if I had too.
It is a very low percentage of people that do wait that long. I'm glad I'm one of them.
Now - to make my buddy Dogwood happy - I CAN GO HIKING, LISTENIN TO SUZE ORMAN ANYTIME I FEEL LIKE IT!!

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 17:31
It does not need to be excused, this is one of the most useful threads I have ever seen on Whiteblaze. And if you cannot afford to thru-hike, or cannot stop working long enough to thru-hike, well there goes your dream of try-hiking. I find this thread very pertinent to hiking.

Please carry on....

So is diet as it relates to having the physical ability to thru hike. That doesn't mean, as I've been rightly chided for, but through deragatory name calling ie; Food Nazi, Food Police, going down a dietary and nutritional rabbit hole or digressing into personal food politics opinions everytime food is mentioned.

Desire targeted medical advice MAYBE it is more constructive to see a M.D. Want specific financial advice or general state of the financial markets opinions MAYBE better to contact a financial advisor?

Jus sayin.

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 17:34
@ jefals Suzie Orman on audio tape as pre hike prep. Smiley.

TexasBob
03-28-2018, 17:51
............... But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! ..............

Here is an interesting article that breaks down the odds of living to a certain age. People are probably going to live longer than they think which is a consideration for retirement planning. There are no guarantees about living past tomorrow in this life but I hope you make it to 110 jefals. :)

Lnj
03-28-2018, 18:19

Please carry on....

+1... I have learned some seriously valuable information here in this thread that can and likely will effect my future hikes, section, thru or otherwise...
Sincere thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and wisdom here...

jefals
03-28-2018, 19:31
............... But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! ..............

Here is an interesting article that breaks down the odds of living to a certain age. People are probably going to live longer than they think which is a consideration for retirement planning. There are no guarantees about living past tomorrow in this life but I hope you make it to 110 jefals. :)
Thanks, TexasBob! How bout let's all drink a toast to a long, healthy life full of great hikes for all us Whitblazers!

MuddyWaters
03-28-2018, 20:55
Theres calculators that predict based on health data and lifestyle choices. My prediction is 97.

Coffee
03-29-2018, 08:39
Having sufficient financial independence and health to go hiking for weeks or months takes a lot of planning. I think this thread is far more relevant than many I've seen on WhiteBlaze.

jefals
03-29-2018, 09:23
Theres calculators that predict based on health data and lifestyle choices. My prediction is 97. Welk, my prediction for you, MW, is that when you hit 97 they will have found a cure for whatever you got, and that'll keep you goin another 13 years! :)

Sarcasm the elf
03-29-2018, 09:50
Having sufficient financial independence and health to go hiking for weeks or months takes a lot of planning. I think this thread is far more relevant than many I've seen on WhiteBlaze.

Absolutely. More than once I’ve considered putting the link to MMM in my signature line. Especially since I first heard of him through The Trail Show. :)

MuddyWaters
03-29-2018, 12:39

I think it's as much a lack of other responsibilities than financial Independence.

If you have debt you has to service well then you're kind of screwed. Could be mortgage car car insurance health insurance, etc.

If you have to provide for anybody else will your kind of screwed as well.

If you don't mind living the lifestyle bordering on homeless bum, your prospects look pretty good.

As far as retired folk go, unfortunately it takes a lot of money to play everyday. That could be golf, fishing, whatever it takes a lot of money to go have fun everyday. So retired people tend to find things to do that aren't that expensive. A little gardening, work on projects around the house, part time work or even volunteer work to keep them busy. Then you do a little fun things maybe one day or 2 day a week or something

By comparison to some hobbies, hiking is dirt cheap.

Nanatuk
03-29-2018, 12:56
I consider the years between 60 and 70 to be my best opportunity to be active and accomplish my bucket list. Giving up any of those years for FT work would be a sacrifice of what I've been working towards the last 40 years. If I work past 60 in my present situation, I don't think I'll be in any shape to do them after 70. If I retire at 60, I think I will be more active and live a lot longer.

The key factors for my retirement planning are:

55, Age is typically the first year you can collect a pension. Typically you can't work FT in the same vocation to collect without the 59.5 penalty
59.5, Age which you can start withdrawing from retirement accounts without penalty
62, Age which you can start collecting SS
65, Age you can go on Medicare. Need a strategy for healthcare from the time your retire to age 65
65-68, Age at which you can collect SS at full benefit
70, Age where you maximize your SS benefit
70, Age where your required to start taking disbursements from your 401k or TIRA

But that's just the details of your plan. The overriding concern in planning always comes back to how long you think your going to live and how to make the money and time run out at the same moment.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2018, 12:59
But that's just the details of your plan. The overriding concern in planning always comes back to how long you think your going to live and how to make the money and time run out at the same moment.

You might be amazed at the number of people whose goal is to live off of Interest or earnings in retirement and leave millions of dollars for their kids and grandkids

It's interesting to contemplate if you had money several million dollars and left it to your great-grandchildren so that your children or grandchildren could not spend it how much that could be by the time the great grandchildren were adults.... The biggest problem with accumulating wealth is that people spend the money.... The less they had to work for it the more they want to spend it. I have a friend received $250,000 when his mom died, he bought a brand new truck and a cigarette boat. Could have put that money aside for his kids and grandkids........but nope.

Another Kevin
03-29-2018, 13:43
It's interesting to contemplate if you had money several million dollars and left it to your great-grandchildren so that your children or grandchildren could not spend it how much that could be by the time the great grandchildren were adults.... The biggest problem with accumulating wealth is that people spend the money.... The less they had to work for it the more they want to spend it. I have a friend received $250,000 when his mom died, he bought a brand new truck and a cigarette boat. Could have put that money aside for his kids and grandkids........but nope.

I got a substantial amount from my mother. I didn't put it aside for my daughter. After turning some over to various charities, I passed the rest on to her directly - because starting off life debt-free sure beats expecting a legacy later. She called it her 'grandmother scholarship.'

As far as stashing it away to skip generations goes, I think it would fall foul of the Iron Law of Savings: Gains < Taxes + Inflation. But maybe I'm just being cynical.

I don't think it's likely that I'll have grandchildren. Maybe at some point my daughter will have few enough immediate attachments that she'll want to to a Big Hike. More power to her if that happens, She does enjoy backpacking.

Nanatuk
03-29-2018, 13:46
Yeah, hard lesson to learn. Instant gratification is easier.

rickb
03-29-2018, 19:23
It's interesting to contemplate if you had money several million dollars and left it to your great-grandchildren so that your children or grandchildren could not spend it how much that could be by the time the great grandchildren were adults....

If the great grandchildren have yet to be born, your idea might run afoul of the rule against perpetuities:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities

Interesting to contemplate why it was established in the first place.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2018, 19:45
If the great grandchildren have yet to be born, your idea might run afoul of the rule against perpetuities:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities

Interesting to contemplate why it was established in the first place.
Doesnt have to:
For example
In 1919, Wellington R. Burt (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_R._Burt) died, leaving a will that specified that apart from small allowances, his estate was not to be distributed until 21 years after the death of the last of his grandchildren to be born in his lifetime. This condition was met in 2010, 21 years after his granddaughter Marion Landsill died in November 1989. After the heirs reached an agreement, the estate, which had reached an estimated value of $100 million to $110 million, was finally distributed in May, 2011, 92 years after his death.[26] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_against_perpetuities#cite_note-26)

I think difficulty might be run into in that you might have Many heirs by that time.

jefals
03-29-2018, 20:30
I just wish my Granpa had bought 1 original share of coca cola, set it up to reinvest the dividends and left it to me when I hit 65!
Then again, I might have been able to accomplish the same by buying one share of original Microsoft ...
~~~~
how you treat a big inheritance is gonna depend a lot on your life experience and your level of maturity.
if you get that money before you've ever had to work for anything, it might go towards "fast cars, whiskey and loose wimin"! Hopefully, if you get it after having spent 40 years earning a living, you'll understand what it is you've been given and make better choices

One Half
03-29-2018, 20:30
Theres calculators that predict based on health data and lifestyle choices. My prediction is 97.
I did a pretty through one a number of years ago. My grandmother at the time was probably 97. She died at 103. So after all these questions the results page loads pretty slow. I start scrolling and miss the "expected age" at the top of the page but I was reading the things that could extend my life expectancy. I am fortunate to have very good teeth but they are very tight and floss breaks when I floss so I mostly don't floss. But one suggestion was that I could extend my life by flossing twice (or maybe 3x) a day, by 6 months. And I'm wondering if it's "worth it." So I scroll back up and see that my life expectancy is to live until 106. I figured that in 60 years if I floss twice a day every day I'll have spent that extra 6 months flossing my teeth. I decided it's not worth it! LOL. I do floss occassionally but not every day. Still have very healthy teeth and gums.

One Half
03-29-2018, 20:36
I think it's as much a lack of other responsibilities than financial Independence.

If you have debt you has to service well then you're kind of screwed. Could be mortgage car car insurance health insurance, etc.

If you have to provide for anybody else will your kind of screwed as well.

If you don't mind living the lifestyle bordering on homeless bum, your prospects look pretty good.

As far as retired folk go, unfortunately it takes a lot of money to play everyday. That could be golf, fishing, whatever it takes a lot of money to go have fun everyday. So retired people tend to find things to do that aren't that expensive. A little gardening, work on projects around the house, part time work or even volunteer work to keep them busy. Then you do a little fun things maybe one day or 2 day a week or something

By comparison to some hobbies, hiking is dirt cheap.

It's just not financial for us. We could actually pay our 1 month rent penalty and break our lease today and go hike, financially speaking. But we have a 20 year old son who lives on his own but still depends on us for occassional short term loans of small amounts as he has no savings right now. He's a paycheck to paycheck guy right now. Also, he has no credit cards so when he needs something like new boots or what not, we help him out by ordering it online (just saved him $40 by buying them on Amazon) and then he pays us back. So part of our holding off is to make sure he's better off a bit. By waiting 4 years, my husband will hopefully have 5 years with his current employer and will hopefully have a job he loves to come right back to after we hike. But we are also planning for that to not be the case.

Kittyslayer
04-01-2018, 12:30
Thanks to all sharing your wisdom, opinions and links. This thread has been EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Happily one of the calculator links confirms I am still on target. Yeah for me!

Its a hiking based website. Please make the connection to hiking if you want to bring in economics. This thread is getting to the edge of politics. Some enticing economic discussion of opinions where I suspect many would like to chime in but this isnt the Money Mustache website or a Suzie Orman Q&A just as it isnt a food politics, rah rah organic food, or general social or cultural issues website.

Retirement savings and cash flow is the BIGGEST factor in my plans and timing for a thru hike. The fine balance of wealth and health leaves me a narrow window in the overall span of life. Just like dialing in a pack full of ounces and pounds this is critical for me. Hearing facts and multiple opinions, not all of which I agree with, is helpful. This thread is extremely relevant and the discussion and links have been helpful.
Hike your own hike.

russb
04-01-2018, 13:43
2026 for me. Retire and thru hike.

TexasBob
04-02-2018, 09:59
............... The fine balance of wealth and health leaves me a narrow window in the overall span of life..............

I am in good health and can still do pretty much all the things that I always have but the thing that has surprised me as I get older is how my stamina has decreased. I just get tired faster than I used to when I do strenuous activities. My advice is do your thru hike as soon after you retire as you can and start training as early as you can because I think that makes a bigger difference for older folks than for the youngsters.

Deadeye
04-02-2018, 19:48
Any physical endeavor gets tougher as you get older. I was hoping to do the AT after I retire in 2020, but I'm not even able to day hike right now, and long-distance hiking may be a thing of my past. Do it - whatever it is - as soon as you can.

chknfngrs
04-03-2018, 07:01
Yep. For me, right now is showing my kids how to carry only what you need and to leave no trace. That’s where I am today. Tomorrow brings its own unique problems but we’ll get there.

Amazing how this thread spawned conversation in a manner I did not anticipate.

cs2blue
04-03-2018, 19:50
Retirement is is two and half years away for me. I am starting in two weeks section hiking. That way i can be happy and still work towards the goal of finishing. plus i am good shape for my age and am able to do so with minimal disruption at home. Yeah Me.

Leo L.
04-07-2018, 10:27
Not that I've let pass too many opportunities unused in my life, but many times my wife and me agreed in: "we'll do this once we'll be retired".
Now at 60 I've started to develope some minor health inssues, and just 2 months ago got diagnosed cancer.
Right now fighting through chemo (which luckily seems to work) I might emphasize the importance of trying to do "the right thing at the right moment" throughout ones life.
Money, and more money, wo'nt help if, facing the end, you regret not having "done it". Whatever "it" might be in your case.

TexasBob
04-07-2018, 13:19
Not that I've let pass too many opportunities unused in my life, but many times my wife and me agreed in: "we'll do this once we'll be retired".
Now at 60 I've started to develope some minor health inssues, and just 2 months ago got diagnosed cancer.
Right now fighting through chemo (which luckily seems to work) I might emphasize the importance of trying to do "the right thing at the right moment" throughout ones life.
Money, and more money, wo'nt help if, facing the end, you regret not having "done it". Whatever "it" might be in your case.

I hope you make a full recovery. Good luck.

rocketsocks
04-07-2018, 14:44
Sorry to hear that Leo, be well.

Leo L.
04-07-2018, 15:20
Thanks for the kind words!
ATM I'm in a recovery phase between treatments, and took the chance for a two week holiday in my beloved desert, doing short dayhikes and loving every single footstep.
Lets do it as long as we can!

chknfngrs
04-07-2018, 17:37
Attitude is the difference between and adventure and an ordeal

soilman
04-07-2018, 17:37
Reading these posts reminds me of the Jackson Browne song, The Pretender, about the juxtaposition of living the life one imagined versus working for a living.

I'm going to be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender
Where the ads take aim and lay their claim
To the heart and the soul of the spender
And believe in whatever may lie
In those things that money can buy
Though true love could have been a contender
Are you there?
Say a prayer for the Pretender
Who started out so young and strong
Only to surrender

Hoofit
04-08-2018, 07:22
2032!
come on now, find a way before then, plan ahead a couple of years, take the time off, whatever, waiting ten or fifteen years is just too long, health may crap out, inerest may dwindle, it's great to have dreams but the older you get, the harder it is physically..
I guess it depends how much you really want to do it.....

methodman
04-08-2018, 08:21
I will have waited 34 years when I go next year to do my AT thru hike.

Ethesis
04-08-2018, 17:06
I will have waited 34 years when I go next year to do my AT thru hike.

:)

I am hoping to do next year too when I retire.

dharmabum2
04-30-2018, 15:14
I enjoyed this discussion of retirement hiking plans, smiling and laughing a bit as I read it. It reminded me of my own plan for a thru-hike when I retire, maybe next year at 63. Yet, all this planning for the great hike in the future also seems unreal, a chimera and even contrary to the spirit of the trail. Jon Kabat Zinn says in his book, "Coming to our Senses" and in the chapter on Nowscape: "wherever we go, where ever we are, whatever is happening and no matter what time it is or what the calendar says, we always only have moments to live".

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 10:59
Man and I thought I was a planner lol good luck in 14 years on your thru hike

chknfngrs
05-01-2018, 13:12
I will end-to-end thru hike when I retire. I don’t have the time right now.

What I currently have time for are the shorter day trips and the more adventous weekend and week long itineraries.

If I lose interest or physical abilities, so be it. I’ll go down as living in a capacity that makes sense to me.

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 13:32

What I currently have time for are the shorter day trips and the more adventous weekend and week long itineraries.

If I lose interest or physical abilities, so be it. I’ll go down as living in a capacity that makes sense to me.

Hey nothing wrong with weekends and week long trips. Longest I have been able to live outside was 16 days before having to return to society and become a contributing citizen. There aren't too many hobbies that require you to put life on hold for 6 months...LDH is a rare bird lol

BuckeyeBill
05-01-2018, 16:03

Hiking is hiking no matter how far you can go. I have done the PCT twice and the CDT once, when I was living in San Diego. I returned to my home state and started looking at completing my triple crown, but could not get away for a thru because I had to coordinate the care of my mother with my oldest sister. This allowed me to walk for up to six weeks at a time as a section hiker. I am still planning a thru-hike, and have even avoided certain areas that I want to see for the first time on my thru-hike (Springer Mountain, Katahdin, Harper's Ferry,to name a few). Keep spending as much time as work and family allow and you will be bitten by the hiking bug which will get you through the tough times. Never stop dreaming.

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 16:13
Hiking is hiking no matter how far you can go. I have done the PCT twice and the CDT once, when I was living in San Diego. I returned to my home state and started looking at completing my triple crown, but could not get away for a thru because I had to coordinate the care of my mother with my oldest sister. This allowed me to walk for up to six weeks at a time as a section hiker. I am still planning a thru-hike, and have even avoided certain areas that I want to see for the first time on my thru-hike (Springer Mountain, Katahdin, Harper's Ferry,to name a few). Keep spending as much time as work and family allow and you will be bitten by the hiking bug which will get you through the tough times. Never stop dreaming.

6 weeks is a good stretch on the trail!

Off topic...But If I were a teacher I would spend my summers on the trail for sure

BuckeyeBill
05-01-2018, 16:19
6 weeks is a good stretch on the trail!

Off topic...But If I were a teacher I would spend my summers on the trail for sure

It came about by good negotiations and years of work. I could start drawing my retirement now, but if I wait longer, I will get more money per month. So now I work for myself and both my mother and sister have since passed on. Right now i am building some cars to take to Hot August Nights in Las Vegas. If they sell, I am gone again.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2018, 18:05

Or, you might be dead by then.
Or be a caregiver for an elderly parent, or spouse.
Or you could become incapacitated yourself or poor in health.

If you want to hike the AT, hike it now.
If you still want to thru-hike it, you can do that too if you live that long.
Or, you might find it already having the AT und your belt you want to hike the PCT or other trail.

Who knows what the AT will look like by then.

Never put off till tomorrow something that you want to do today. If you really want to do it, make it happen. Do the math on a retirement spreadsheet. 6mo missed income will not be catastrophic to your retirement ability. If the reason is it's really just not that high on your priority list, admit it. You only want to hike it when you don't have anything better to do.

And yeah raising a family is something better to do for most people. But you can swing a month or two a year most likely , and get it done. And never miss that little bit of income.

Mikerfixit
05-02-2018, 09:17
I realize that I may never get a chance to make the attempt. I'm ok with that as right now my priorities lay with supporting my family and raising my children. If the opportunity ever comes up that I can make it before retirement than I will be prepared. I'm going to have fun in the now with shorter trips

chknfngrs
05-02-2018, 10:37

Or, you might find it already having the AT und your belt you want to hike the PCT or other trail.

Never put off till tomorrow something that you want to do today. If you really want to do it, make it happen. Do the math on a retirement spreadsheet. 6mo missed income will not be catastrophic to your retirement ability. If the reason is it's really just not that high on your priority list, admit it. You only want to hike it when you don't have anything better to do.

And yeah raising a family is something better to do for most people. But you can swing a month or two a year most likely , and get it done. And never miss that little bit of income.

Thanks for this. Appreciate your input!

Berserker
05-02-2018, 12:44
I just wanted to get in on this thread and say that I appreciate all of the input/opinions on retirement along with a lot of detail of the financial part of it. I changed my mental attitude from assuming I had to work until I was in my 60s about 10 years ago, and I'm now trying to set things up so I can become financially independent in my 50s.

So to all those younger people reading this I want to reiterate checking out blogs like Mr. Money Moustache and other similar ones that discuss early retirement. I wish I had started thinking that way in my 20s, but alas I didn't really get there mentally until my late 30s. Better late then never though is one of my mantras, and if I can cut 10 working years off thus starting my retirement earlier then rock on.

Berserker
05-02-2018, 12:48

This is a good summary.

I really wanted to thru hike many years ago too and thought it would be a cool thing to do once retired, but have alternately been section hiking for 10 years now. The main thing I have learned from this is that I may not even be "thru hiking" material. So I'm glad I didn't put off hiking the AT to try and do a thru later on.

Astro
05-03-2018, 02:26
How these last 400 miles in NH and ME go will probably be a big influence on if I ever do a thru hike in the future.

futureatwalker
05-03-2018, 02:49
2031 for me...

It's been my dream to hike the AT for a long time, and my plan, like many here, is to do it when I retire. One challenge is that I live 3000 miles from the trail.

But also, I know that nothing is guaranteed. My suspicion is that we tend to discount getting old. Right now I am the youngest and likely strongest I will ever be.

So, I try to hedge the thru-hike-retirement goal by getting out as much as possible now. 42606

(Photo from the A.T. outside Harper's Ferry, last November.)

Even some days on the A.T. are better than no days...

chknfngrs
05-03-2018, 11:30
If I tell myself I can’t hike when I’m older, what good comes from that?

schmitzcj
08-14-2019, 17:17

Crazy as it sounds, this is also my plan (in 2032) I want to start on April 1st, because I just think it'd be funny to tell people I'm on the trail and them thinking it's a joke.

Since you're located in DC, and I'm in MD, we can car pool to Springer. But, seriously, I'm hoping to retire in the summer of 2031 at the ripe old age of 58. My wife (who is younger) will continue to work, whilst I go about getting thru hikes out of my system. She has no interest in hiking, except watching it on YouTube. It's funny, someone else mentioned they have a similar deal with their spouse, glad I'm not the only one.

See you on the trail in 2032.

BTW, there are some great local hikes in the DC region.

Portie
08-14-2019, 23:02
I am in good health and can still do pretty much all the things that I always have but the thing that has surprised me as I get older is how my stamina has decreased. I just get tired faster than I used to when I do strenuous activities. My advice is do your thru hike as soon after you retire as you can and start training as early as you can because I think that makes a bigger difference for older folks than for the youngsters.

Some of this can be fixed with hormones--thyroid and testosterone.

Berserker
08-15-2019, 08:09
I really wanted to thru hike many years ago too and thought it would be a cool thing to do once retired, but have alternately been section hiking for 10 years now. The main thing I have learned from this is that I may not even be "thru hiking" material. So I'm glad I didn't put off hiking the AT to try and do a thru later on.
I saw my own post in this thread last year and thought I would update my thoughts. First off, when I posted I had been section hiking for 12 years, not 10...little error correction there.

I still totally agree with my opinion that I'm glad I didn't put it off, and now that I have actually finished the whole trail there is no less sense of accomplishment or satisfaction that I did it in sections rather than as a thru. So I reiterate, to anyone planning to go do it sometime way off in the future, do it now in whatever configuration works for you. You'll gain a whole new perspective on things, and I believe you will find what you are searching for.

rubyvermonter
08-15-2019, 12:57
I'll throw my 2 cents into the discussion. I section-hiked the AT in 10 out of 14 seasons, completing it a few years ago. I still hope to thru hike when I retire, which I originally thought would be between age 62 and 66, but I haven't wanted to stop working. So now I am looking at hitting the AT as a thru hiker around age 70. We don't have to, or sometimes can't, have everything now. Since I completed my section hike of the AT, I backpacked the Long Trail for the second time, took a trip to Nova Scotia with my daughter, backpacked the John Muir Trail, backpacked the Walker's Haute Route with friends, and just returned from day hiking in Wyoming with a sister. I hope to backpack the Wonderland Trail next summer with friends. I enjoy making plans for the future.

Ethesis
08-15-2019, 19:54
I had a guy stop me to ask what year I was born in. He just was worried I was older than he was (my full beard misled him he said) as he was finishing up his through hike as a flip flop and had twenty miles to go and hoped to be the oldest guy this year.

He was just under 70. I’m 63 and we flip up and continue SOBO next week.

So so lots of older guys.

Glad my wife talked me into retirement.

Longboysfan
08-16-2019, 08:53

Nice.

I'm up in Plano. Going to try to get in another section hike next spring.
I'll retire in March 2020.

I practice with my pack and weight it with water bottles over on Grapevine Lake walking the north side on the off road bike trail.

rhjanes
08-16-2019, 09:23
Nice.

I practice with my pack and weight it with water bottles over on Grapevine Lake walking the north side on the off road bike trail.
I don't practice with the pack near enough. Been WAY to hot! I didn't make 2019 either. Another family issue. I became the executor and heir. It helps cement in the "no worries" retirement. Perhaps 2020 now.......

Kittyslayer
08-16-2019, 10:01
I don't practice with the pack near enough. Been WAY to hot!

Isn't that kind of like practicing using your tent in the backyard only when rain is not in the forecast?

Aiming for 2024 and need to get lots of practice in myself.

Odd Man Out
08-16-2019, 10:02
I've thought about a thru when I retire. A guy I know is doing that just now. But recently I've thought maybe I would rather do a long section. For me, it's not doing the whole trail that is the appeal, but rather the experience of being out long enough to get my body into trail shape. They say the first few weeks of a thru are the worst, physically. As a section hike, every hike is like that. I don't think I need to do the whole trail to get that experience. If I'm taking 6 months to hike, I would rather do half the AT, and then move on to other trails. Places like JMT, Grand Canyon, Kungsleden (Sweden), Everest area trekking, and Kilimanjaro top my list now.

colorado_rob
08-16-2019, 10:51
I've thought about a thru when I retire. A guy I know is doing that just now. But recently I've thought maybe I would rather do a long section. For me, it's not doing the whole trail that is the appeal, but rather the experience of being out long enough to get my body into trail shape. They say the first few weeks of a thru are the worst, physically. As a section hike, every hike is like that. I don't think I need to do the whole trail to get that experience. If I'm taking 6 months to hike, I would rather do half the AT, and then move on to other trails. Places like JMT, Grand Canyon, Kungsleden (Sweden), Everest area trekking, and Kilimanjaro top my list now. Yeah, most of this. I planned on a half an AT when I retired, which I almost did (950 miles, springer to front royal, April-May) and found that those 2-ish-months was my absolute limit for one trail, especially a monochromatic trail like the AT. After that, is was all hiking out west the rest of the year, including a JMT variant, a bunch of Colorado hiking and in the winter, yeah, Grand Canyon. Winter in the Grand Canyon cannot be beat.

I do understand the thru-hiking mindset, two months was long enough on the AT to get that, but I did learn that such mindset was not for me. I like variety too much.

rhjanes
08-16-2019, 11:40
Isn't that kind of like practicing using your tent in the backyard only when rain is not in the forecast?

Aiming for 2024 and need to get lots of practice in myself.I'm in Texas. Last Sunday when I finished a 2 hour, 6 mile hike, the air temp was 95. The THI was around 104. I went to high school in northern VA. That type of conditions, folks usually hike from dawn until lunch, then knock off until late in the day. A few hours of that and people start getting heat-silly. But I try and get in an 8 mile hike every week. Plus at least 4 days in the gym.

Ethesis
08-16-2019, 16:09
Nice.

I used to live in Plano (8504 High Meadows Drive, Plano, TX 75025) until we sold our place in September and moved to a condo in Dallas (well, sold at the end of August, moved in in October after tearing out some studs and replacing the wiring, insulation, etc.). I retired March 15, and we started hiking March 17. Took a couple months off for family matters and fly back out in a couple days to start up again SOBO back to where we got off.

Yes, it has been too hot in Dallas to practice with packs.

steve_zavocki
08-16-2019, 16:45
I used to work in Plano and live in Flower Mound. Those mountain bike trails on the North side of Grapevine lake are awesome. The summers there can really be oppressive. In Florida now, and the summers are only a little better except I hate rain.

I do all my AT training on a treadmill. I have been walking at 3% uphill for so long that it doesn't uphill, it feels normal. Of course the AT is often much steeper than that. I think that daily treadmill time keeps me in shape for when I hit the trail.

swatsullivan
08-17-2019, 07:06
I'm in the same pattern for 2030. :cool:

2030 for me too

futureatwalker
08-17-2019, 12:27
I'm just back from the John Muir Trail, which I hiked, Northbound, with my 14 year old son. On the trail, my perspective on waiting until retirement to do the PCT (which has now eclipsed my first love, the AT, though I hope to complete both) started to change.

Observations:

1) After three days of hiking, my 14 year old was strong than me, and I'm a runner.

2) We were going North-bound, in the same direction as the PCT thru-hikers, and met many of them. All were in their 20s or 30s. I'm sure there were older thru-hikers out there, but not many...

3) The PCT/JMT is hard. I thought I was fit, but the big climbs - admittedly over snow covered passes - were taxing, especially day after day.

All of this is to say that I am rethinking my plans, and looking into doing the PCT in the next few years, as opposed to waiting until 2031.

Bonus observation: I will never, ever make the mistake again of packing too few Snickers bars when doing such a trip.

swatsullivan
08-17-2019, 14:12
I’ve got 4 boys, 20, 18, 14, and 13. They are pretty athletic. I run and work out just about everyday, including running trails and training for a trail marathon once a year. The boys all outperformed me on the trail climbing mountains on the AT a couple weeks ago. Youth is wasted on the young

Fenway
09-03-2019, 13:56
Unless life throws me a curve ball, I will be off March 3, 2021 nobo. Will be 61 and ready to make transition from full-time work to something with more free time. Six or so months on the AT is a perfect way to cross from one chapter in life to the next.