PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaneering Megalite vs Feathered Friends Kestrel UL 30

tobydo55
03-23-2018, 21:59
I would appreciate input on the differences in these two bags. I have a WM Ponderosa for winter camping and love it. Am looking for a new bag to serve me the rest of the year. Please don’t suggest a quilt as I am coming off of two years with an EE quilt and am ready to go back to a bag. I was about to purchase the megalite, and stumbled upon the Feathered Friends web site.

Specs:

Megalite
30 degrees. 64/56/39. 12oz of 850 down. 24oz

Kestrel UL
30 degrees. 64/58/40. 15.7oz of 950 down. 27 ounces.

The Main difference is obvious in that the FF has 3 more ounces of down. But I wonder if 3 more ounces of 950 down wouldn’t change the temp rating given the bags are roughly the same size. I say that without knowing anything about the difference between 850 and 950 down. My Ponderosa has been taken below its rating, so I have no reason to doubt the Megalite rating. But I am wondering if the Kesterel is more of a 20 degree bag. Any thoughts?

Venchka
03-23-2018, 23:44
I’m a skeptic. Take note of that.
The FF bag is slightly larger and would need a bit more down for a given loft.
Since the testing procedures were changed, I’m not a fan of the new fill power numbers. By the time you get in the bag in the woods you won’t have 850 or 950 fill power down.
If FF is charging extra for the 950 down, buyer beware.
I don’t have the WM catalog handy. Does the Megalite have the full draft collar? If so, that would tip the scales to the Megalite for me.
All of that said, when I last shopped for a bag, I had the Megalite and Alpinlite side by side for a thorough going over. I picked the Alpinlite. I’ve been very happy with the Alpinlite on a few 15 degree mornings. I’m equally pleased with the 700 FP Antelope Super. I’m a biased skeptic. 👍😎
Wayne

Venchka
03-23-2018, 23:46
PS:
I remember that FF didn’t quote loft figures for their bags. True?
I don’t buy sleeping bags without loft numbers.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
03-24-2018, 00:04
WMs fill rating is underrated
Its 900 fill
And its always an oz or so more than they say

Its big enough you can put a quilt inside if your slim and use it down to 0

The megalites EN rating in europe used to be 28

I was warm at 22 in mine in tent once. Wearing sweatpants/sweatshirt on scout campout. So warm, i couldnt believe it actually got that low.

Should mention I always shift all the down to the top as much as possible.

Loft ratings are misleading.
Because it's not uniform over the bag
Feet in a western mountaineering 30bag are like
7 in loft. And it's higher around the chest and head as well.

Venchka
03-24-2018, 00:25
Western Mountaineering measures loft at the low point. Around the shins. Very conservative. The Alpinlite is a 16 degree bag in EN speak.
Wayne

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 01:03
FF too under temp rates their bags. I don't agree with Venchka's buyer beware opinion of any temp rating fudging on FF's part. Quite the opposite.

The opinions about 850+ fp not existing but in a lab under the tightest lab controlled conditions implying some trickery or intentional misleading is another problematic assertion. At this high a level of sleeping bag design consideration there's more to using high fp downs than typically assumed.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 01:16
And, FF went from 850 fp to 900 fp and 900 fp to 950 in different lines over the last couple of yrs and didn't crank up the price while maintaining previous dimensions so it wasn't done to gain a higher price pt. My meandering is one of the reasons is with a goal of keeping overall product wt in keeping with high end UL and light wt conventional sleeping bag offers towards the high end of the quality scale.

WM I think wants to do the same. WM under temp rates their sleeping bags in general as well.

In any discussion of this outer and inner fabric traits, baffling...should be included.

The Rottweiler will sniff this bone out. Don't let JB 's goofy hat and user pic fool ya. Yar.

I think he's gonna generally conclude something as I will here. Can't go wrong with either.

colorado_rob
03-24-2018, 01:28
IMHO, y'all are over analyzing two very similar and capable bags. I seriously doubt if there is very much difference between that "950" (yeah, right) and the WM 850, and it probably boils down to the slightly extra size and maybe fabric. I've owned and loved 4 different WM bags (alas, sold two, down to just two now....). I'd go with WM if the price is roughly the same, but I'm biased having owned them, but the great things I've heard about FF bags are probably true as well.

I hear you on why you might think the FF bag is actually warmer though given the extra 3 ounces (but not the "950" thing).

Check for a sale on the WM bags, they do happen. Go to bentgate.com and have a look, they sometimes run them on sale (not often though, alas). I bought my WM Puma on sale at Moosejaw 14 years ago, but I think it was a fluke.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 01:43
I tend towards Rob 's assessment. Look at price differences. I see both coming up for resale occasionaly
With some modicum care both these bags have outstanding longevity. What's better look to buy resale from an experienced ULer seeking to go lighter wt like to a quilt. They can be in great shape with care.

FF has limited bargain bags just like ZP. Gotta call. They are unadvertised. Make sure you make that call knowing the details aboUT what you're seeking. This isnt FFs big thing.

LazyLightning
03-24-2018, 07:41
I have a WM carbou 35 and got the FF Nano 20 I think its called for winter bag.... So not comparing the same temp rating but I would go with FF again next time. The WM material is so thin I had feathers poking threw right away and quite a few... I love the FF bag material and Havnt experienced that over much more use then the WM. My FF kept me warm close to 0 degrees with just a 150 merino top and bottom. I was on the ridge tenting at the Cold Spring Shelter camp area the other night, steady wind like 20mph with higher gusts, someone said they read 15 degrees by the shelter that night and my bag was a little wet from the snow the day before and I was good. The moisture all stayed on the outside and air dried quick in the hostel here.

That said my WM Caribou 35 kept me warm in the teens with some layers so not putting them down at all, its a great bag and ill be swapping for summer. The thin material and feathers poking through turned me off though, I don't know if all there bags have material that thin but the FF material on my winter bag is 10 times better.... Like an idiot I put a couple pieces of window tape instead of contacting them for warranty issues but that's another story.

On an unrelated note, I laugh at anyone that said I'm bringing too many clothes/layers for a march 9th start, I used everything by day 3. I saw more unprepared people getting off trail or buying more stuff then people sending stuff home.

tobydo55
03-24-2018, 08:33
I appreciate everyone’s comments. Just to clarify my reason for asking, I was a little worried about the FF being too warm. Given the similar costs ($460 WM and ($450 FF). I was interested in the FF. But I am looking for a 30 degree bag at most. This bag will be used most of the summer, so temps will be well above that. I don’t know if the WM has a draft collar, the web site does not list it. I can touch and buy the WM bags in Colorado, but FF is online order only.

ARambler
03-24-2018, 09:38
I have a FF UL Hummingbird in the mail. It is my 5 th FF bag, so I am biased, but WM also has a good reputation. Down has a tremendous temperature range and either 30 deg. bag should be good for summer. And summer in CO is a 30 deg bag at highest. Many use a 20 deg all summer. I can see going with 30 when you are getting a wide bag. The 30 deg bags definitely dry faster when you wash them.

Hosh
03-24-2018, 10:12
Relying on a “loft” measurement is both suspect for accuracy and repeatability. Humidity, temperature, measurement methods and construction techniques have a large influence.

Whether you think “950” fill is the result of better sorting techniques meeting growing market demand or fairy dust, the measurement process is far more repeatable, controlled and reliable. You might think it is inaccurate, but it is consistent. Kinda like an odometer on a bicycle, the 1 mile indicator happens at the same place on your route consistently, but it’s probably wrong.

Venchka
03-24-2018, 11:34
Flip a coin.
I agonized for a long time. FF or WM. My decision came down to hands on evaluation and price.
I’ve been using 3”+ top loft down bags in the Rockies between the last week in August to the first week of October from The Window in Colorado to Berg Lake, B. C. since the mid 1960s. I’ve never felt that I needed less. But that’s just me.
In side by side comparison at home, mid 1970s 550 & mid 1990s 700-750 down lofts by itself. The 2014 850+ down needs extra fluffing and extra time to loft up.
Sometime after the mid 1990s the testing process was drastically changed. The difference is noticeable to my eyes.
Another down fact based on my collection of old bags and catalogs: WM bags filled with 700, 750 & 850+ down have the same temperature ratings and the same weight of down. Explain that.
Both WM and FF have been around for about the same length of time. They must be doing something right. I don’t think that you can go wrong with either brand.
Wayne

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 13:26
Theoretically, the kestrel will likely be warmer in CO environments. The 2" hip and 1" girth increases dont entirely account for the extra 3.7 ozs of down. Plus the higher fp rating rating. Its a primary factor in the 3 oz extra overall wt. These are both larger cut bags though so more interior space to heat up with the kestrel slightly more. With a whopping 58" hip spec I see it as a very roomy in the hips bag for one with more girth around the belly or a side to side sleeper.

The megalite has a collar option. I'm with ATRambler. Don't skimp on warmth for CO use even in summer. If it's warm open up the zip. That's one of the reasons it there, to vent.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 13:34
Relying on a “loft” measurement is both suspect for accuracy and repeatability. Humidity, temperature, measurement methods and construction techniques have a large influence. ...

If that is accurate, which I agree it is, than it should apply to quilt loft measurments as well. Loft measurment of a quilt is no absolute determiner of quilt wamth either! Yet, it regularly is to assign so called wamth ratings. It's even more problematic in quilt apps.

daddytwosticks
03-24-2018, 13:38
I have owned my Megalite now for several years. Mine does not have a collar. Wish it did. I tend to sleep very cold but was comfortable one night when it got down to freezing with a very stiff wind at Walnut Mountain Shelter. I absolutely love WM products. I also owned a Caribou and an Alpenlite before selling both and going with my Megalite. Good luck in your decision making. :)

Hosh
03-24-2018, 14:15
IMO, quilt comfort or temp rating is more a function of the pad. Even though sleeping bag’s bottom insulation is compromised, it still provides some r-value. Not worth the weight or cost of the material, but it does contribute

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 16:43
It provides more than r value. It captures and contains heat much less problematicay than a zipperless quilt. Give me a 30* conventional bag and 30* zipperless quilt with everthing else being equal I'll sleep warmer in the bag. Dropping the temp ratings down further and further the more this becomes noticeable. Larger fudge factors and recognition of a quilt being a component in a sleep system is required verse a bag.

tobydo55
03-24-2018, 17:39
IMO, quilt comfort or temp rating is more a function of the pad. Even though sleeping bag’s bottom insulation is compromised, it still provides some r-value. Not worth the weight or cost of the material, but it does contribute
This is the reason I am switching back to a bag. I have several lightweight insulated pads including neoair trekker and big Agnes slx. But many nights I was chilly in my EE 20 degree quilt, when the temps were in the low 40’s. The cold seemed to be coming from the ground, not around the edges. So that meant if temps were below 45, I had to bring my big Agnes q core which weighs two pounds! Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quilt straps.

Hosh
03-24-2018, 17:56
This is the reason I am switching back to a bag. I have several lightweight insulated pads including neoair trekker and big Agnes slx. But many nights I was chilly in my EE 20 degree quilt, when the temps were in the low 40’s. The cold seemed to be coming from the ground, not around the edges. So that meant if temps were below 45, I had to bring my big Agnes q core which weighs two pounds! Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quilt straps.

Yup, people have different thermostats and furnaces. I’m just opposite, run hot, like the versatility.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 19:25
...Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quilt straps.

You know it. It certainly is possible to sleep warmer at less overall system wt with less complexity and fudge factor and hassle with a bag option. Yet, it's commonly held you need to employ a quilt to save wt, save money.....

And, when noting this quilt promoters excuse the differences in warmth to different internal thermostats or resort to mentioning pads. Yet, after moving tbe goal posts, will rah rah the wt savings by choosing a narrowed comparison reviewing just the quilt or sleeping bag wt when it's known a quilt more heavily has to be considered as a component in a sleep system than the same temp rated sleeping bag.

Hosh
03-24-2018, 19:34
Actually, I’m a rotisserie sleep so a quilt is a better option. Granted it’s not as warm as a regular bag, certainly not as warm as a tapered mummy. When in circumstances that dictate more insulation, I just wear more clothes to bed. So, in my case, I do save weight and money, YMMV

Personally the Ford vs Chevy debate is irrelevant.

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 19:37
Yup, people have different thermostats and furnaces. I’m just opposite, run hot, like the versatility.

This is history repeating itself. The exact same tactic was utilized to explain away questionably assigned temp rating discrepancies comparing same temp rated sleeping bags previous to standardization through EN ratings.

This being noted as an owner and employer of three different currently held quilts( two different Katabatic and an EE) and three different conventional high end sleeping bags(two different WM and one FF, recently relinquished a Valandre).

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 19:39
TU Hosh. :cool:

Dogwood
03-24-2018, 19:55
I have issue staying as warm in a 15* quilt as a rotisserie sleeper even of an appropriate size with a great pad attachment system, no straps, compared to everthing else being the same sleeping in a 15* bag. The colder the temp rating of the quilt taking it down to the temp rating the more it's noticed. I'm much more inclined to cowboy camp or take the temp rating to and a bit below in a sleeping bag than the same temp rated quilt.

Venchka
03-24-2018, 20:15
Xtherm Long. 77x25. R-5.7. 20 ounces.
Interesting set of numbers we have.
Yours: 20 ounce quilt and 33 ounce pad.
Mine: 33 ounce Alpinlite Long and 20 ounce Xtherm Long. Personally comfy to 15 degrees.
I’m only 5’-8”. I bought the large Xtherm for the width and the Alpinlite Long for the price.
I don’t notice the extra few ounces when I’m sleeping soundly.
Wayne

colorado_rob
03-24-2018, 23:17
Yikes, the OP spelled out specifically he wasn't interested in a quilt, why do you guys harp on with the same OLD dis-information about quilts? Let it go. We're happy four you. This thread is about sleeping bags.

QiWiz
03-29-2018, 16:10
Cannot comment on the FF bag. I used to have a Megalite and I really liked the oversize measurements that let me get into the bag with lots of in-camp layers on without compressing the ML loft from within. I used it down to zero degrees F in this way, wearing a down jacket and insulated pants inside the bag. I now use quilts down to mid 20's and sold my ML and replaced it with the even warmer (and also oversized) WM Badger. So I'm not saying you should get a quilt, just saying that I found the ML to be very functional for me over a wide temp range, say 10 to 50 degrees F, anyway.

Just Bill
03-29-2018, 19:42
I would appreciate input on the differences in these two bags. I have a WM Ponderosa for winter camping and love it. Am looking for a new bag to serve me the rest of the year. Please don’t suggest a quilt as I am coming off of two years with an EE quilt and am ready to go back to a bag. I was about to purchase the megalite, and stumbled upon the Feathered Friends web site.

Specs:

Megalite
30 degrees. 64/56/39. 12oz of 850 down. 24oz

Kestrel UL
30 degrees. 64/58/40. 15.7oz of 950 down. 27 ounces.

The Main difference is obvious in that the FF has 3 more ounces of down. But I wonder if 3 more ounces of 950 down wouldn’t change the temp rating given the bags are roughly the same size. I say that without knowing anything about the difference between 850 and 950 down. My Ponderosa has been taken below its rating, so I have no reason to doubt the Megalite rating. But I am wondering if the Kesterel is more of a 20 degree bag. Any thoughts?
Dogwood is the feathered friends guy... I like WM but unless there was a deal involved I'd call it a coinflip for the most part. Retail price looks about even, and I don't think either brand is ever on sale.

I agree... the Kestrel looks overfilled a hair (or a typo). Though 950 has never panned out well for me in real life... maybe not for FF either and they overfill a bit to combat that.

On the otherhand, jumping up to the Alpinlite...

6'0" 30° F 4" 64"/56"/39" 12 oz 1lb 8oz
6'0" 20° F 5.5" 64"/55"/39" 19 oz 1 lb 15 oz

from 12 ounces to 19 ounces is a massive jump for 10* in a similar bag so I wonder if the typo is Western Mountaineering's?
Either the Alpinlite should have around 17... or the Megalite around 14 ounces.
Yar... I see the extra draft collar but that is a half ounce or so of fill.

Strange...

Either way... I might be inclined to try the FF bag... simply because I've never owned one and I always hear good things.

But barring that... I'd probably stick with the trusted brand, lighter weight, and 850 down for this temp range and bag type.

I can't really tell from the FF pics, but the footbox doesn't look shaped. Not always an issue, but something to consider if you are used to WM's cut as well.

So... nothing but a great deal or curiosity that would make me jump ship if I were you.

PS- I sell quilts, and prefer a mummy bag around 20* or so if I'm not in a hammock.
Quilts are not for everyone, everytime, everywhere.
They are not always technically lighter either if you count the headgear... or have to buy wider, carry pad straps, and other accessories.
Quilts are great for long distance hikes over a broad range of temps... but given a deep enough quiver and shorter trips it's rare the mummy doesn't do it better for a week on the ground.

Also rare you will die a horrible death using a mummy as a quilt if things get too warm despite what quilt folks claim.

And if something doesn't work for you... doesn't matter how sweet it works for someone else.

Dogwood
03-29-2018, 22:21
@Tobydo If ever in the Seattle downtown area you can feel and touch and in store demo FF bags at their FF flagship store with on pt knowledgable staff. Walk down the street to the Seattle REI large flagship store and they offer a larger than typical REI bag section which, last time I was there, included some WM bags.

While there you might want to check out the ArcTeryx, ExOfficio, Falljraven, Outdoor Research stores and several other outdoor gear stores. Seattle has it going on when it comes to so many different hiking gear touch and feel opps!

Dogwood
03-29-2018, 22:25
@JB DW is both a FF and WM guy. He he. Hard to get WM to do custom work. FF will do it more readily.

Crunch and munch.

cmoulder
03-30-2018, 06:57
from 12 ounces to 19 ounces is a massive jump for 10* in a similar bag so I wonder if the typo is Western Mountaineering's?
Either the Alpinlite should have around 17... or the Megalite around 14 ounces.
Yar... I see the extra draft collar but that is a half ounce or so of fill.

Maybe the shell/baffle material?

I mistakenly (and foolishly, because I should've asked!) bought an item with shell made of 20D that was otherwise identical spec (size, fill material) to something I already had in 10D and the weight difference was about 6 oz or so, somewhat in line with the weight diff with your comparison.

Dogwood
03-30-2018, 08:37
Yikes, the OP spelled out specifically he wasn't interested in a quilt, why do you guys harp on with the same OLD dis-information about quilts? Let it go. We're happy four you. This thread is about sleeping bags.

Decaf. Get out of the house. Lighten up. The OP mentioned and asked about quilts. It's his thread.

This is the reason I am switching back to a bag.(from a quilt) I have several lightweight insulated pads including neoair trekker and big Agnes slx. But many nights I was chilly in my EE 20 degree quilt, when the temps were in the low 40’s. The cold seemed to be coming from the ground, not around the edges. So that meant if temps were below 45, I had to bring my big Agnes q core which weighs two pounds! Sure the quilt is only 20 ounces, but the pad is 33oz. I would feel better with a 24-27oz bag, a 16oz pad, and no fuss of quiltstraps.

Venchka
03-30-2018, 14:59
Doing a bit of arithmetic...
The Megalite & Alpinlite minus the down weight = the same shell weight.
I learned a long time ago that I could get through fall weather in the Rockies with 3" of top loft. The morning that I spent with the Megalite and the Alpinlite, the Megalite seemed under filled to me. The zipper tube in particular was lacking. I bought the Alpinlite even though it was a Long. Multiple mornings in the Teens later I made the right choice for me & my preferred season and locations.
In my experience, the Megalite would be lacking not the Alpinlite.
Wayne

Just Bill
03-30-2018, 15:38
Maybe the shell/baffle material?

I mistakenly (and foolishly, because I should've asked!) bought an item with shell made of 20D that was otherwise identical spec (size, fill material) to something I already had in 10D and the weight difference was about 6 oz or so, somewhat in line with the weight diff with your comparison.
[/COLOR]

Doing a bit of arithmetic...
The Megalite & Alpinlite minus the down weight = the same shell weight.
I learned a long time ago that I could get through fall weather in the Rockies with 3" of top loft. The morning that I spent with the Megalite and the Alpinlite, the Megalite seemed under filled to me. The zipper tube in particular was lacking. I bought the Alpinlite even though it was a Long. Multiple mornings in the Teens later I made the right choice for me & my preferred season and locations.
In my experience, the Megalite would be lacking not the Alpinlite.
Wayne

I agree with Wayne... Shells should be nearly identical that's why I thought it was a good example to bring to the conversation.
Though an ounce (max) for slightly thicker baffles and the bulkier/extra draft collars would be a reasonable assumption to make... 1/2 ounce in 20d shell is probably more accurate. (not enough to matter much).

Hard to say if the Aplinlite is overfilled or the megalite underfilled... or both. Though again... I'd defer to his head to head comparison. Even if the megalite might have been tough to compare as a thirty in the teens... using a bag just beyond it's rating highlights issues like a draft tube mentioned. Though bulkier collars and draft tubes could consume an ounce of fill.

I like my summerlite and that's inline with the fill on the megalite... so maybe WM simply uses a different model when jumping from 30* to 20* and beyond.
However they do it... most agree they do it right so doubt you can go wrong either way.

I'm still debating picking up a Versalite... one of these days. Didn't get out this winter enough to pull the trigger and I'm fat enough now I probably should try one out.

I ended up getting the REI Magma 10 due to coupon's and dividends... but likely going back. My fat ass did fit in there... will work great for my wife as a shoulder season bag if I keep it.
That and the Winter Hyperlite were a bit of a disappointment this winter overall.

https://www.rei.com/product/110922/rei-co-op-magma-10-sleeping-bag-mens

Decent 25*/30* bag for 2lbs though at a decent price for any interested in it. With the member coupon you won't find better for about $280. Good early season AT bag and a big step up in quality for an REI piece.
Just not quite there on the rating. It is EN comfort 22* to be fair, but that's a tad optimistic. It will be interesting to see if they do more with this series... great alternative to the WM summerlite for those on a budget and a pretty quality piece for off the shelf REI.

But for the real deal 10*... going to have to go with the Versalite.

Venchka
03-30-2018, 15:56
Yar! Just Bill,
One very happy WM Antelope customer here. Same pattern as the Versalite. 6 ounces more down than the Versalite. I do the love the Antelope, but there are days when I wish that I had bought the Versalite. Mainly because I haven't done enough winter trips.
Helping you spend your money. :D
Wayne

Just Bill
03-30-2018, 16:46
Yar! Just Bill,
One very happy WM Antelope customer here. Same pattern as the Versalite. 6 ounces more down than the Versalite. I do the love the Antelope, but there are days when I wish that I had bought the Versalite. Mainly because I haven't done enough winter trips.
Helping you spend your money. :D
Wayne

Yar, the versalite fits my needs better... 50/30/10 is generally my quiver. I've had my TNF inferno (or something like that) for a good 20 years and it started as -20 bag... so I can reach for that monster when needed.

Stacking my Primaloft Gold summer quilt over the 30 or future 10* is a system I like since I'll wear the summer quilt as a camp puffy and would do the job. I'm pretty well set on the quilt side as I've been in the hammocks more often, but the Versalite would round things out on the mummy side.

No real wrong choices with WM... just dealing with cracking the bank account open. Been building out the family gear more though and winter will remain a solo affair for some time still.

Last Call
03-30-2018, 18:03
I have both the Versalite and the megalite, any time it goes below 35 degrees I take the Versalite....

bret
04-30-2018, 21:40
Same here I like my 20 quilt above 30 but any lower I want zipped inside a warm cocoon. The quilt is warm enough but I just move around too much causing uncomfortable drafts and it's a pia. I've also compared these in detail and decided I want WM Megalite from HermitHut.com with FREE 2oz overfill! Megalite also has a top collar and I prefer the blue color. It's only 4oz heavier than my quilt for warm cozy comfort in most any temps I'd see. The WM may also hold resale better if you decide to change since has better brand recognition. Can't go wrong with either though like choosing between Farrari or Porche.

MuddyWaters
05-01-2018, 05:47
Same here I like my 20 quilt above 30 but any lower I want zipped inside a warm cocoon. The quilt is warm enough but I just move around too much causing uncomfortable drafts and it's a pia. I've also compared these in detail and decided I want WM Megalite from HermitHut.com with FREE 2oz overfill! Megalite also has a top collar and I prefer the blue color. It's only 4oz heavier than my quilt for warm cozy comfort in most any temps I'd see. The WM may also hold resale better if you decide to change since has better brand recognition. Can't go wrong with either though like choosing between Farrari or Porche.
One caution about the mega light , it's roomy.
If you're not a big person it gets quite cold on the sides because of that.
I usually stashed my clothing there to take up room (extra and what took off). In quilts I sleep with my clothing on.

Of course I got my Megalite when I weigh 210 lb and lifted heavy weights with 50" chest. . At my current 160 lb and low body-fat fat and 42" chest, I don't use it. I just haven't brought myself to part with it yet. One of the reasons is I can bring a 40-degree quilt completely inside of it and it's a furnace.

bret
05-01-2018, 10:25
One caution about the mega light , it's roomy. I got my Megalite when I weigh 210 lb and lifted heavy weights with 50" chest. . At my current 160 lb and low body-fat fat and 42" chest, I don't use it.Hmmm thanks for sizing info. My chest is similar size. You bring up a good point sizing is most important. MegaLite & FF Krestrel are both 64" while Summerlite is 59" and FF Osprey is 60. If I sized down I'd go FF for the little extra. My 110# son has a 58" bag and its too tight for me - Cumulus from Poland very nice but very slender.

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 10:46
I have the megalite and it is the only bag I have that I still truly enjoy using. Slowing drifting to the quilt, ground sleeping world. But yes I love my megalite

Berserker
05-15-2018, 12:33
Probably getting in late on this one. I'm a WM fanboy, and have used a Caribou, Versalite, Ultralite and Alpinlite. I currently own the Caribou and Alpinlite, and sold both of the others for close to retail price (they were very lightly used, and this shows they hold their value). The Caribou is by far the bag I have used most extensively, and it has 148 "bag nights" (as Tipi Walter would say) on it, so about the equivalent of a thru hike. It's been a fantastic bag. I have washed it once so far, and it still lofts up and looks like it's new (I do baby it).

So not sure if I'm adding much value to the thread as I have no FF experience, but I can attest to the quality of the WM bags and wanted to get a plug in for them here (no affiliation with WM by the way).

FamilyGuy
06-07-2018, 10:27
I have both WM and FF sleeping bags. In terms of room, the FF bags are functionally roomier - WM may appear to have higher loft but they are also much narrower for the same comparable spec and is one of the reasons why the FF bags (again for comparable spec) have more down fill. Both are well made with the edge going to FF in terms of stitching and outside fabric (considerably more resistant to water).

Having said that....they are so close in terms of overall quality, comparable warmth via competing model, and price that they could have come from the same manufacturer.

I would like to try Katabatic, however....

fiddlehead
06-07-2018, 22:19
It is my opinion that the fit of the bag to your body is more important than the slight difference in loft here.
I have 2 FF bags: A Hummingbird (20) and a Snowbunting (0)
The Hummingbird is almost as warm as the Snowbunting simply because it fits my body like a glove.
No wasted space to heat up and keep warm.
Problem is, it is now 22 years old and has done a LOT Of hiking with me (5 thrus, multiple hikes internationally) and is basically: WORN OUT!
I sent it back last year and had some down added to it. But this year on a hike in Tasmania, the collar ripped and I don't think they added much, if any down as i slept cold in it.
Just bought an Aussie bag that is similar. (Pacesetter XT)
Again: bought it cause it fits me well.

Zalman
11-26-2018, 21:34
I've used several bags from both Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends, and the choice between them has always been a difficult one for me. Both offer outstanding quality and function. I've tried several other top-name, top-reputation, high-end down mummy bags as well, and nothing else was quite in the same echelon of excellence.

I found the WM bags to be the absolute warmest per their own estimates. That is, I think a "30°" bag from WM is likely to be at least as warm as a "30°" bag from FF. That said, both will surely get you comfortably below their claimed rating if necessary. If you're worried about the bag being too warm, then I'd go with the FF: it has continuous baffles that (my) WM bags never had -- allowing you to move down above you or below you for more or less warmth.

If you're worried about the bag being too wide, I know FF makes two other 30° models in progressively slimmer cuts. I expect WM has a slimmer model as well.

For sheer loft/weight, my experience is that FF wins out. That hand-picked down really is magnificent, and I found it keeps its loft better over time. In case you didn't know, they make bedding too -- quilts and, yes, pillows. They are really nice pillows.

My current go-to bag is a FF, selected over the equivalent WM primarily on the basis of looks. I find the FF bags much sexier.