PDA

View Full Version : River Rock headlamps

grrickar
02-13-2006, 00:29
I stopped by Target the other day and they had a 1.5W River Rock brand headlamp that runs on 2xAAA batts. It is quite bright and outperforms my Princeton Tec Aurora, not to mention the fact this thing is tiny and very light. The head straps are setup so one goes over the top of your head and the other around, so the top could be removed for more weight savings. The best part is the lamp is only like $15.

River Rock also makes a aluminum-bodied penlight that runs on 2xAAA batts. Heavier than the headlamp, but longer life than a pinchlight. They also make a keychain light that is aluminum, and throws quite a bit of light for only a few ounces. You'd have to be determined to break one of these.

They are not on the Target website, but all of th stores here carry them. I bought one of every light they make - including the 2xC 1.5W light for the car.

dla
02-13-2006, 21:50
They are a 0.5W headlamp - not 1.5W.

But they are a very good little light. I own one, and I own a lot of "cheapies", and the Rock River is the best of the cheapies.

Very light. Very well constructed. Very good regulated light output.

In my opinion, either you buy a Rock River or you buy an EOS. Everything else is doo-doo.

:)

Skidsteer
02-13-2006, 22:06
I stopped by Target the other day and they had a 1.5W River Rock brand headlamp that runs on 2xAAA batts. It is quite bright and outperforms my Princeton Tec Aurora, not to mention the fact this thing is tiny and very light. The head straps are setup so one goes over the top of your head and the other around, so the top could be removed for more weight savings. The best part is the lamp is only like $15.

River Rock also makes a aluminum-bodied penlight that runs on 2xAAA batts. Heavier than the headlamp, but longer life than a pinchlight. They also make a keychain light that is aluminum, and throws quite a bit of light for only a few ounces. You'd have to be determined to break one of these.

They are not on the Target website, but all of th stores here carry them. I bought one of every light they make - including the 2xC 1.5W light for the car.

Are these LED?

dla
02-13-2006, 23:56
River Rock light specs: Single LED. House has a reflector that helps the light output form a spot. Rubber push button switch. High, low, off. No red led. Uses 2xAAA batteries. Regulated light output.

Review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_headlamp.htm

Skidsteer
02-14-2006, 07:57
River Rock light specs: Single LED. House has a reflector that helps the light output form a spot. Rubber push button switch. High, low, off. No red led. Uses 2xAAA batteries. Regulated light output.

Review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_headlamp.htm

Cool, thanks.

grrickar
02-19-2006, 21:55
Oops. You are correct, .05W. They make some great LED lights, some too heavy for hiking but good all around lights. Although this would not be worthwhile to carry for a hike (unless it was a overnighter I suppose), this little lantern they make is great for car camping.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_lantern.htm

Target carries the while line of their lights. The 2xAAA 1.5W pocket light is a great replacement for a mini mag - brighter, lighter and runs longer on smaller batts.