PDA

View Full Version : Critique my hiking vlog?

Greenlight
03-23-2018, 22:36
http://jimgarlits.com/2018/03/time-money-health-and-desire

I mentioned a couple of WB contributors and a pertinent discussion in this video blog. I'd appreciate any feedback and critiques, wanting to make a better product. Let me have it! Would a weekly medium like this interest anyone here? Since I moved closer to the trail to get in more hiking (40 miles from Shenandoah / an hour from Harper's Ferry) I plan on doing a lot of sections, doing trail magic as the bubble progresses northward, and highlighting the work of trail maintenance clubs in Virginia and hoping that others will attempt similar efforts so that more people will know the important work that they (we) do.

moldy
03-24-2018, 08:16
Hiking Videos.
Bad 1. Background music of any kind while you are talking
2. Selfie mode, at least turn the camera around to the view
3. endless monolog
4. ranting about others
5. When you have nothing to say, turn the camera off.
Good. 1. Think before turning the camera on, interesting places interesting people
2. Tell us where you are and the date the film was shot.
some people are only watching so they can see what the conditions are at that time of year)
3. When your trail family is sitting around yucking it up, turn the camera on.
4. Never post a vid without a girl in it.

ldsailor
03-24-2018, 11:57
I looked at two of your vlogs ("The Beginning" and "Episode 2") where you simply talked to the camera. The sound quality was poor and I had trouble understanding a lot of it. I was expecting trail footage, which of course there was none.

I think what would make the vlog interesting to hikers is content of interest - maybe product reviews or something similar. But what would really catch hiker's attention, IMO, is content on the trail, especially of conditions when conditions warrants it (a lot of rain, snow and tree blow downs lately). Also, unusual aspects of the trail and unusual sights. Maybe even a few hiker interviews; although they can get tiresome pretty quick if overdone.

Not everyone will agree with me, so I'm sure you'll get more feedback. I like your website by the way.