PDA

View Full Version : What does "GPS compatible" mean?

Tinstaafl
03-25-2018, 09:14
Many trail maps proudly proclaim themselves to be GPS compatible, but they look pretty much like any other map to me. I've tried folding them up all sorts of different ways, but never been able to plug one into my smartphone.

So what's the term actually mean? Is it just that they have a latitude/longitude grid, or what?

nsherry61
03-25-2018, 09:37
. . . Is it just that they have a latitude/longitude grid, or what?
That's pretty much what my take on it would be. That, and they may also state which "datum" they are built around.

colorado_rob
03-25-2018, 12:27
That's pretty much what my take on it would be. That, and they may also state which "datum" they are built around. That's my take as well. My more recent maps have the UTM grid faintly imprinted through the map, making much easier navigation if you're holding a GPS and can read your position. The old 7.5 minute TOPO's didn't have this. They might have had lat/long in degrees/m/s along the margin as tic marks, but that was much harder to work with in the field.

Tinstaafl
03-25-2018, 14:19
Thanks, folks. Where can I find a cable to plug those numbers into my GPS? :-?

ldsailor
03-25-2018, 14:33
As a blue water sailor, "GPS enabled" to me means the navigation chart has latitude and longitude lines. There are many GPS apps available for phones. If you get your latitude and longitude from the phone, you can plot your position. A sailor will do so using parallel rulers, which is something a hiker won't carry. However a straight edge and a little care can work okay, too.

Some inland water charts have appeared on the market with GPS waypoints listed on the chart. A sailor will use electronic navigation gear and plot a course to the waypoint. It's possible your land charts have waypoints listed. If they do, it will show in latitude and longitude listing at given points on a map or the map may show a number or letter keyed to a listing elsewhere on the map.

I have Nat Geo land maps. While they have latitude and longitude lines, I don't see any waypoints What kind of maps do you have?

rocketsocks
03-25-2018, 14:42
I think it’s more the gps unit is compatible, ie; toggles through degrees min. UTM, British/English, meters fore/aft GMT... so basically a marketing ploy.

Tinstaafl
03-25-2018, 15:03
I was actually asking on behalf of a buddy who's preparing for a through-hike of the Tuscarora Trail. I believe his map is from the Potomac ATC, the same as my AT maps. Same deal, they have the lines, but no waypoints. Still, that should be enough to keep him from getting too far off track. I gather the TT is rather poorly marked in some areas.

BuckeyeBill
03-25-2018, 15:55
I know many people will say you don't need a compass and/or a map. It must be the Boy Scouts still inside me, but like maps and a compass. I have used both topo and GPS style maps. I also use AWOL's Guide and the Thru-Hikers Companion.

RangerZ
03-25-2018, 16:17
That's my take as well. My more recent maps have the UTM grid faintly imprinted through the map, making much easier navigation if you're holding a GPS and can read your position. The old 7.5 minute TOPO's didn't have this. They might have had lat/long in degrees/m/s along the margin as tic marks, but that was much harder to work with in the field.

USGS 7.5 minute quads had the UTM tickmarks on the margins. I was the engineer with the long t square who could connect them to grid the map.

RangerZ
03-25-2018, 16:21
I was actually asking on behalf of a buddy who's preparing for a through-hike of the Tuscarora Trail. I believe his map is from the Potomac ATC, the same as my AT maps. Same deal, they have the lines, but no waypoints. Still, that should be enough to keep him from getting too far off track. I gather the TT is rather poorly marked in some areas.

The TT is poorly marked. I did a short section from the north end a couple of years ago. In some places its "don't fall off the ridge and you're going in the right direction".

Work kept me from doing more sections ... but I've taken care of that problem. But now the AT calls, maybe the TT next year.