PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

skinnbones
03-25-2018, 10:18
If read correctly, an overnight smoky backpacking permit is just 4$. Question #1 can I continue my section hike beginning within the park boundaries? (Last April I walked from Springer to Clingmans Dome). It will take me 3 days to exit the park. That's 12$ compared to 20$ I was charged as a thru hiker last spring. Is this correct? Question #2 If able to continue nobo can you recommend a cheap shuttle service from Knoxville airport to Clingmans Dome parking lot. Other option is sobo from Hot Springs. Question #3 cheap shuttle choice from Ashville airport to Hot Springs? I called one company and was given a price of $180. This sounds absurd to me. My hike is planned for early August. Any tips would help me a lot. Thanks.

soumodeler
03-25-2018, 10:37
$4 per night, max of $20. Yes you can start at any point as a section hiker, as long as you can secure permits for each night at the location you want.

Can't speak to the Knoxville question, but $180 from Asheville to Hot Springs is probably high. Its 50 miles one way, so figure $100 to $125.

Red Laces
03-25-2018, 10:42
the outfitter in Hot Springs use to do shuttles, its been a few years since I was through there

BuckeyeBill
03-25-2018, 11:00
As to question 1. Yes you are correct, but you will need to tell the park where you intend to camp each night. More info for General Permits (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1). 2. You can find a list of shuttle providers as listed on WB here (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php). I found this one that states he does Atlanta, Asheville and Knoxville to the Smokies and probably Hot Springs:

Appalachian Adventure Company
Tom Bazemore

Dahlonega, GA
706-265-9454
865-209-1827
[email protected]
Atlanta, Asheville and Knoxville airports and bus stations and Gainesville, GA Amtrak and bus stations, and along A.T. anywhere from Amicalola Falls S.P. and Springer Mtn. GA through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Can shuttle up to 10 people; can go as far North as Damascus,VA for a large enough group. Can also stop at outfitters or grocery stores along the way

Good luck and hope this helps.

soumodeler
03-25-2018, 12:46
the outfitter in Hot Springs use to do shuttles, its been a few years since I was through there
I heard they have stopped doing shuttles within the last 6 months. If I remember correctly, their driver retired.

ldsailor
03-25-2018, 14:16
It's only 48 miles from the Asheville airport to Hot Springs. Any shuttle I have ever used never charged more than $1 per mile round trip. Your cost should be around $100. Unfortunately, there are no other alternatives, at least that I could find. Greyhound does not go to Hot Springs.

Just a suggestion if you haven't already done it. Go to the home page of WB and on the top right there is a link to "Shuttle providers." Go down the list and see if you can find someone that has a less expensive price.

You can always try to hitch hike if all else fails. It's hiking country and you probably would get a ride.

moldy
03-25-2018, 14:41
mute point here, If you sleep in the park 2 nights then walk out on the third day it's 8 bucks

tdoczi
03-25-2018, 18:45

i shuttled with them last may.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2018, 20:01
If you not starting 50 miles outside the park, you have to do the individual hut reservations. You can do it as a walk-in at the Ranger station, but you probably won't get the places you really want. Best to make the reservations as soon as the 30 day window opens up.

Eight years ago I took a taxi from the Knoxville bus station to Gatlinburg which cost me $100. I forget if that included tip or not, but the 100 stands out in my mind. The trolley goes out to Sevierville (Dolly world), which gets you a little closer to Knoxville, but not sure if the extra hassle would be worth whatever might be saved.

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 21:58
Great shuttle alternative from kville.
http://appalachiantrail.org/home/community/news/2016/06/21/volunteers-sought-for-appalachian-trail-crew-in-great-smoky-mountains-national-park
The early Aug SWEAT CREW SESSION usually needs more volunteers. The ATC in partnership with the great folks at the NPS pick you up in kville. You'll be giving back, get a back door insiders perspective of the AT in GSMNP and in GSMNP in general, have access to loaner gear, be fed, etc

Handlebar and I usually do at least one session each yr. After the session I do a GSMNP hike.

Dogwood
03-25-2018, 22:00
If you can do a strenuous GSMNP hike you can probably pass THE SWEAT CREW requirements.