PDA

View Full Version : Computer Topo Mapping Program

RedSean
02-13-2006, 00:51
I was thinking of grabbing one of those computer programs to use as an alternative to buying maps. Does anyone use the delhome, or national geographic version?

dje97001
02-13-2006, 01:31
I don't, but one of the guys in a hiking club does--he's mapped out a number of the hikes we've taken. He takes along his little handheld and then drops the gps track into the map. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. I know that somewhere on this site there is a link to a file with AT Shelter coordinates (or maybe even the whole trail) that you could import...

http://www.ellishiking.com/pages2/nslideshow.asp?sub=Meshomasic&album=BurnhamBrook_SheepskinHollow_2_06&picturename=topo_3d.jpg&fplacenum=38

And you can see the 2D version by clicking the 'next' arrow... (the horizontal AT)...

MisterSweetie
02-13-2006, 09:39
I don't, but one of the guys in a hiking club does--he's mapped out a number of the hikes we've taken. He takes along his little handheld and then drops the gps track into the map. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. I know that somewhere on this site there is a link to a file with AT Shelter coordinates (or maybe even the whole trail) that you could import...

http://www.ellishiking.com/pages2/nslideshow.asp?sub=Meshomasic&album=BurnhamBrook_SheepskinHollow_2_06&picturename=topo_3d.jpg&fplacenum=38

And you can see the 2D version by clicking the 'next' arrow... (the horizontal AT)...This may be what you're talking about:

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/

Peaks
02-13-2006, 10:40
I was thinking of grabbing one of those computer programs to use as an alternative to buying maps. Does anyone use the delhome, or national geographic version?

Any computer map software that I have seen is based on USGS maps. Unless recently updated, they do not show the AT in its current location, and do not show the AT as accurately and do not show a lot of the detail. Maybe the software sold by ATC does.

Also, considering the cost of printing color maps, it quickly can become an expensive option.

Fiddler
02-13-2006, 10:41
I got those, as well as a couple others. They all (IMO) are very good for their designed purpose, but none show the AT or any other trails to any great extent. A couple show small sections of some trails but none show enough of any trail to be used for hike planning. If you did a hike with a tracking GPS and then put the tracks in the program you could use it for your next hike on that trail, but for planning the first hike you should get the proper maps for the trail you are planning for.

JoeHiker
02-13-2006, 12:03
I own Topo USA and it shows the entire Appalachian Trail from start to finish. I did notice a section in Vermont that did not reflect the latest changes, however.

Cuffs
02-13-2006, 12:07
I havent been on the AT (yet) but I do use a handheld gps unit while hiking. I set it to "track" my location, then at home I just upload the info and it places my track over the Delorme topo map to show where I was.

I have also used the info from the ATC site that has the shelter coords plotted and I am able to view the location of all the them along the route.

2 things to consider tho, the scale of the map. There are 2 main sizes being used by those in surveying (dont recall their proper names) but if you use one size and the plotter used another, you could be off several hundred feet. But the way I figure is, if I can see a shelter, I've got the problem!

Secondly, it does not take into consideration the most recent trail relocations... But that is going to change all the time, it will be close, so Im not too worried about that...

Tin Man
02-13-2006, 13:32
I have an older version of Topo. It works very well, but I find the usefulness quite limited for such a well marked and documented trail like the AT. On my first section, I used it all the time and it helped me find a shelter when I was hiking after dark. The second section, I used it intermittently to tell me where I was and how far I had to go. By my third section, I decided I knew where I was (look at the road sign I was crossing), where I was going (look at the map), and how I was getting there (follow the white blazes) and left the GPS in my pack for emergencies - like when I get lost returning from the privy at night. (Dang! I left the GPS in my pack again!)

Fiddler
02-13-2006, 14:18
I own Topo USA and it shows the entire Appalachian Trail from start to finish.
OOOoooh, now I gotta buy another map program.

Blister
02-13-2006, 15:10
I have been busy acquiring my maps for the CDT. When I bought my GPS about a year ago I also bought the topo USA program. Surprisingly it actually has a CDT route mapped in the New Mexico section, however the mapping coordinates are about 1/2 mile off from coordinates of the waypoints mentioned in the guidebook series. The program also indicates all the wells and water tanks in the desert - that seems like the most important information I could use. No matter what trail you are planning on hiking, they change every year so I would not attempt a thru hike soley with the trail information from these programs, buy your most updated maps and know how to read them.

LostInSpace
02-14-2006, 03:45
You can purchase the AT map series from MapTech. I don't know how accurate the A route is on these maps. However, you can download the AT track and shelter info from the ATC. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm
The info is in ArcView shapefile format. If you search for and download the free G7ToWin program, you can convert the shapefile data format to a MapTech track format and import the track into MapTech Terraine Navigator. I don't have the MapTech AT series, but I have the MapTech National Park Series. I imported the ATC data so that I could see the true AT track in Shenandoah National Park.

National Geographic does not have a series that covers the AT. You would have to purchase all the state or regional series that the AT goes through. This would be rather expensive. Even if you have all the NG maps, NG has not updated the AT track, at least they did not for the Mid-Atlantic region that I have. The NG software is very poor in terms of its import capability. I have downloaded an AT track from the NG's "map exchange" site. However, the track does not seem to be very accurate.

Tin Man
02-14-2006, 08:01
This link has some useful GPS data...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm

Billygoatbritt
02-14-2006, 08:06
Mapping software is great for a section hiker as they have plenty of time to play with the program at home. They can add mile markers and set up potential campsites by location, water sources, and the terrain on a particular section. Some of the software has a 3-D view which can be engaged to depict the vertical rise/ fall of the trail. I think it would be too much to input for a thru and something a little unnecessary.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-14-2006, 11:25

I use National Geographic Topo! and often make custom maps for relatively short, non-AT outings. I'm very happy with the product and the rich set of nav functions available. Be advised that the cost of cranking out your own maps can get out of hand really fast particularly if you use waterproof paper and ink.

If you have access to an REI or LL Bean they have a kiosk that uses TOPO! to create your own custom map for around $5.00, try it to see if you like it.

JoeHiker
02-14-2006, 12:17
OOOoooh, now I gotta buy another map program.
Not necessarily. Topo USA is not everyone's cup of tea. I love it but I think their thing is primarily roads, not trails so I don't know how up to date their trail maps are. I would try it out first if you can. Still the 3d views are great, IMHO

cheaphiker
02-14-2006, 19:16
Search appalachian trail on google earth and you might get the virtual AT trail 2D & 3D

general
02-14-2006, 20:28
i have used the National Geographic program extensively. it's ok for an overview, but it is inaccurate in many ways

RedSean
02-15-2006, 22:34
Thank you everyone, ive decided to go ahead and drop the money on the full set of trail maps from ATC. But the mapping programs look like fun as well, so maybe some day ill get to play with those a bit. Happy Hiking, 15 days til lift off.