PDA

View Full Version : Flying with your pack

TheMidlifeHiker
03-26-2018, 20:56
Quick tip because I found something kinda cool. Don’t know where I heard it but getting a bag for your pack rather than tying up all the straps is super helpful. $5 at IKEA. Fits my Osprey Atmos 65 perfectly. Leave it in the hiker box on the other end of your flight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/957a4ae29e4bf27818b7666f660d9a1f.jpg

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90149148/

BuckeyeBill
03-26-2018, 21:20
I do that also, but I ship it home and have sent to me at the other end. It fits into a small USPS prepaid box.

TheMidlifeHiker
03-26-2018, 21:29
I do that also, but I ship it home and have sent to me at the other end. It fits into a small USPS prepaid box.

Costs more to mail than to get another one. Plus I live close enough to Maine to drive but if not, simpler to do what you’re doing!

BuckeyeBill
03-26-2018, 21:37
I would have to fly to either end or I could have a friend drive me to Harper's Ferry, but when I got to either end I would need to fly to HP and take off in the opposite direction.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 00:03
You're not just flying with your pack. You're checking your pack because its mandatory for the size of an Osprey Atmos 65L. If you had a smaller volume pack within the carry on size and wt limits you could carry it, wear it, onto the plane. I do it almost 100% of my flights. No need for a separate bag.

sketcher709
03-27-2018, 06:08
Smaller bag is possible when the weather is better but for me at least, what I am comfortable to take with me includes prep for plenty of warmth , rain gear and icy walking. That all fits nicely in my 65 L bag.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2018, 06:41
Thats a nice little cheap tyvek bag for $5
You can spend more than that in gas hitting a couple thrift stores.

Plane carryon compartments are ridiculously small on some planes now. Im not talking about the tiny ones with.one seat on one side of aisle either. I have a small hard carryon that meets all international size requirements. I had to help the ovhd door closed on flight sunday, the flight attendant couldnt she was too short. It barely fit in. This is normal small regional jet with 4 seats to row, 2 on each side.

Theres a lot of oversize carryons sold, that may not fit all planes anymore. You need tape measure when go shopping.

Contrast with international business cl

blw2
03-27-2018, 07:06
yeah, I used to fly a lot, not so much in a long while.... but even back then, because of crowding, lots of carry on luggage was getting redirected by gate-check to the cargo hold. It was forced....and I could imagine being unprepared for having to turn your pack over....loose straps and all. Potentially not good.

blw2
03-27-2018, 07:10
I think that if I were planning to do the carry on thing with my pack, I would come prepared with a contractor trash back or something like this ikea bag at the ready stuffed in my pack, so that I could quickly throw it in if faced with such a thing. You can always ditch it at the other end unused if you're lucky.

and oh yeah, I almost forgot about the regional jets where all carry ons bigger than a purse went in the back

I think the Ikea bag is a great tip! I think I might pick one or two up my next time there, just for future what-ifs....

Cheyou
03-27-2018, 07:24
Quick tip because I found something kinda cool. Don’t know where I heard it but getting a bag for your pack rather than tying up all the straps is super helpful. $5 at IKEA. Fits my Osprey Atmos 65 perfectly. Leave it in the hiker box on the other end of your flight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/957a4ae29e4bf27818b7666f660d9a1f.jpg

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90149148/
Nice bag at a great price . Not everyone has a carry on pack or wants one dogwood.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2018, 07:36
yeah, I used to fly a lot, not so much in a long while.... but even back then, because of crowding, lots of carry on luggage was getting redirected by gate-check to the cargo hold. It was forced....and I could imagine being unprepared for having to turn your pack over....loose straps and all. Potentially not good.
Thats a good point
If you on full flight, and board in last group
Theres no room left
Economy fare without boarding priveleges.....you board last.

On an AA flight out of chicago the other day, they told everyone, there will be no carryon room left after group 6 boards. Or somehing like that. Point was, if you board last, come courtesy check your bag.

Many times my laptop backpack only fits halfway under seat in front of me. You cant count on putting anything there anymore. Used to fit full size carryon.

garlic08
03-27-2018, 08:31
Yeah, now it's basically a man-purse allowed for economy fares, something like 7" x 9" x 14". I've flown Spirit Air way too often lately. You definitely cannot count on traditional carry-on space anymore.

The IKEA bag is a good tip. If you have an extra one of those cloth bags that sleeping bags come in, that works too.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 09:39
A virtual frame ULA CDT 54 L pack fully loaded I've got onto every flight I've wanted to carry it on including all domestic and international fully booked flights. Only time it's checked is when flying with carry on TSA no no's.

The bag is a cheap nice idea though if you're having to check a pack.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 09:44
The zippered over bags from dry cleaners protecting freshly laundered clothing or that suits come in work well too. Instead of throwing these away save a few for just such occasions.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-27-2018, 11:22
Love it, might buy one for my trip. I can't imagine fitting my Exos into an overhead bin - or wanting to try.

BuckeyeBill
03-27-2018, 12:25
When I fly for a LASH, I normally check my pack that's in a duffel tote. I can lock the tote with one of those TSA Locks so they can check it if they want. Inside I have placed a sign stating that I know every piece of equipment in this bag and if they remove anything they are to list it on the back of the sign and what regulation was the cause of them taking it. When I land I check the bag and have never had anything removed. I use to request the emergency exit row for the extra room it would afford me.

Gambit McCrae
03-27-2018, 12:35
deleted post because I was lazy and didn't read the thread, lol What I posted was exactly what the OP was pointing out.

lonehiker
03-27-2018, 21:29
Why not just use the free bag that the airline will provide you? It is pretty heavy duty plastic and will fit any pack. Perhaps all airlines don't provide them but would be easy enough to find out simply by calling. I know United provides them as I just used them to fly out, and back, for an AL Pinhoti trail hike.

skinnbones
03-28-2018, 09:31
I just put my pack inside a black trash bag. Some tape and a name tag, finished.

TexasBob
03-28-2018, 10:49
The one time I flew with a checked pack I did what someone on WB suggested and just wrapped my pack with a lot of Saran Wrap so there was nothing dangling loose and the TSA could see what it was. Worked fine.