PDA

View Full Version : My favorite all-time rain pant....

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 17:56
Serendipitously, on a recent long trip to a very wet climate, I forgot my trusty, but annoyingly fragile Dri Duck pants. We knew we were in for quite a bit of rain, plus some cold-ish weather (even in summer, yes it was summer where we were), so I ducked into a local gear store and for about $35 walked out with a "mac in a sac rain trouser".

Very light! 4.8 oz for the large, 0.3 oz heavier than a dri-duck pant, but seems much more durable.

Here's a link to an Amazon version, looks the same, unfortunately only in XXL on Amazon, but surely it can be found elsewhere:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sac-Waterproof-Packaway-XX-Large/dp/B009OZZKOS/ref=lp_9877383011_1_16?srs=9877383011&ie=UTF8&qid=1522186735&sr=8-16

I've been searching for a sub 5 oz waterproof pant for a while, finally found it. By the way, the fit was pretty small; I normally wear a medium pant, those seemed snug, so I bought a large, which fit well, though generous. I'm a 32" waist, 33 inch inseam. The mediums were a bit short, plus snug over other pants.

I tested these by walking under a 1900 foot high waterfall.... see pic... completely immersed, my legs stayed dry.

Just passing on a find.

(PS: I'm not meaning to debate carrying rain pants, that would be for the UL forum; I carry rain pants mostly for warmth and the occasional downpour)

scrabbler
03-27-2018, 18:11
Solid lead, thanks, good find!

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 19:03
"They will keep you dry with 5000mm waterproofing and breathability..Waterproof, Breathable & Windproof"

Windproof yes. Priced well for spontaneous need of a rain pants purchase. WP and breathablity level low. That's not a subjective opinion. That's looking at the specs and industry standards.
https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 19:12
"They will keep you dry with 5000mm waterproofing and breathability..Waterproof, Breathable & Windproof"

Windproof yes. Priced well for spontaneous need of a rain pants purchase. WP and breathablity level low. That's not a subjective opinion. That's looking at the specs and industry standards.
https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathabilitykept me bone dry walking under a waterfall. Imagine twenty people pouring buckets on you head simultaneously. I have enough experience with dri ducks to know these Macs perform better. And again, I carry rain pants mostly for warmth. These are the bee's knees, despite any harping on specs. These pants are apparently very popular in New Zealand, where I bought them, and NZ is a wet place, and "tramping" is more popular there than most places.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 19:18
kept me bone dry walking under a waterfall. Imagine twenty people pouring buckets on you head simultaneously. I have enough experience with dri ducks to know these Macs perform better. And again, I carry rain pants mostly for warmth. These are the bee's knees, despite any harping on specs. These pants are apparently very popular in New Zealand, where I bought them, and NZ is a wet place, and "tramping" is more popular there than most places.

Just say you were in NZ hiking. That's enough to shut me up. I'm almost envious.

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 19:28
Just say you were in NZ hiking. That's enough to shut me up. I'm almost envious.well, it was very cool and all, definitely worth a trip, but not spectacular at all. Calling the Milford Track the finest walk in the world is downright ridiculous.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 19:35
well, it was very cool and all, definitely worth a trip, but not spectacular at all. Calling the Milford Track the finest walk in the world is downright ridiculous.

Here ya. But then again you get around.

The details just shared on the conditions encountered with the rain pants does play into your opinion. Have you worn these during warmer wet weather?

colorado_rob
03-27-2018, 20:13
Have you worn these during warmer wet weather? I have not, only cool-wet (steady rain), or cool-deluge (waterfall diving). I don't expect great things with these pants, just better than my old standard, the Dri Ducks, much better performance with the same weight. And much lighter than my even older goretex pants and some marmot precip-esque pants (forget the brand).

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 20:18
Yup I can understand the merit of your opinion.

scrabbler
03-27-2018, 20:43
5000mm waterproofing rating seems pretty high to me. Basic silnylon is around 2000mm.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 22:41
https://www.backcountry.com/sc/what-is-waterproof

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all-about-waterproof-fabrics/

Scroll down to Paddy's industry given WP and breatability specs! Note where 5000 HH and breathability ratings land.

Again 5000 WP and breathabilty rating for this apparel is low to low med. After saying and liinking all that IMHO these specs don't have to always be at the top end for backpacking pants. IMHO, it's more important more relevant to backpacking jackets.

Opinions and personal needs do vary.

Dogwood
03-27-2018, 22:48
5000mm waterproofing rating seems pretty high to me. Basic silnylon is around 2000mm.

Ever engage in highly active sports/activities like backpacking, snowshoeing, snowboarding, cross country skiing, or even cold weather yakking for several hrs wearing silny with a 2000 HH in winter?

2000 mm should be no standard for WP Ness or breathability unless you're seeking a sweat suit like experience attempting to lose wt for a wrestling meet.