PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Nido replacement non dairy....

saltysack
03-27-2018, 22:52
Need to cut out dairy as the older I get the more it tears me up...my favorite morning cold coffee/ breakfast has been a mix of

Carnation instant breakfast, instant coffee, chocolate veggie protein powder and nido.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devoidapop
03-27-2018, 22:58
Coconut milk powder? I just got some for another recipe but was thinking I could use it in my breakfast mix too.

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 01:33
https://meyenberg.com/products-page/powdered-goat-milk/powdered-whole-goat-milk/

Far fewer allergic and digestive issues with goats milk compared to cow's milk. Meyenberg offers 4 oz powdered packets to sample without investing in larger amounts to see how you like it. I put it sometimes in my coffee in liquid form when home. Used cold most I offer taste test comparisons cant tell the difference. There is also powdered lactose free cow's milk that might make all the difference in alleviating digestive issues.

kestral
03-28-2018, 07:47
Powdered buttermilk is available at wallyworld. If it doesn’t work for coffee you can use it up in cooking.

The fermenting of the buttermilk cultures uses up the milk sugars (including lactose) which makes it easier to digest. I can drink buttermilk without problem, but regular milk bothers me too. Not sure if the cultures in buttermilk remained active once dried, but it does settle the digestive tract and is often used for people who have severe diarrhea or to replenish gut after antibiotics.

i find that different brands of dried coconut milk have different tastes and solubility, clumping issues. Try a couple brands if you don’t find a good fit initially.

I like butter in my coffee, weird but yummy. Kinda like Sherpa tea, but coffee and cow milk fat, not black tea and yak milk fat.
Good luck!

saltysack
03-28-2018, 07:48
Coconut milk powder? I just got some for another recipe but was thinking I could use it in my breakfast mix too.

Does it clump up if not using hot water? I love coconut oil so would be great option but think I read doesn’t mix in cold water, any way you can try?

saltysack
03-28-2018, 07:50
https://meyenberg.com/products-page/powdered-goat-milk/powdered-whole-goat-milk/

Far fewer allergic and digestive issues with goats milk compared to cow's milk. Meyenberg offers 4 oz powdered packets to sample without investing in larger amounts to see how you like it. I put it sometimes in my coffee in liquid form when home. Used cold most I offer taste test comparisons cant tell the difference. There is also powdered lactose free cow's milk that might make all the difference in alleviating digestive issues.

I’ve tried goats milk once and didn’t care for it..

saltysack
03-28-2018, 07:51
Powdered buttermilk is available at wallyworld. If it doesn’t work for coffee you can use it up in cooking.

The fermenting of the buttermilk cultures uses up the milk sugars (including lactose) which makes it easier to digest. I can drink buttermilk without problem, but regular milk bothers me too. Not sure if the cultures in buttermilk remained active once dried, but it does settle the digestive tract and is often used for people who have severe diarrhea or to replenish gut after antibiotics.

i find that different brands of dried coconut milk have different tastes and solubility, clumping issues. Try a couple brands if you don’t find a good fit initially.

I like butter in my coffee, weird but yummy. Kinda like Sherpa tea, but coffee and cow milk fat, not black tea and yak milk fat.
Good luck!

What brand of cm tended to mix better?

kestral
03-28-2018, 08:11
Grace brand coconut milk powder mixes fairly well. A quick shake with cold water, adds easily to hot. They have single packets at wallyworld for a cheep test drive. In the Hispanic food section.

https://www.amazon.com/GRACE-CARIBBEAN-COCONUT-MILK-13-5/dp/B004O402Z6

devoidapop
03-28-2018, 08:38

Does it clump up if not using hot water? I love coconut oil so would be great option but think I read doesn’t mix in cold water, any way you can try?

Yeah, it's going to clump in cold water because of the coconut fat. I just did a test. If you premix the coconut powder and instant breakfast and add a tblspn at a time to your water it comes out smoother, but still some clumps.

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 09:23
If you're having digestive issues with cow's milk products and decide on powdered coconut milk as a substitute don't go with the Grace brand because it contains milk derived additives as well

Dogwood
03-28-2018, 09:42
There is dairy in Grace powdered coconut milk powder. If you're having digestive issues with cow's milk products and decide on powdered coconut milk as a substitute don't go with the Grace brand because it contains a milk derived additive, sodium caseinate, which in itself can cause digestive and other issues, and listed second on the ingredient list, maltodextrin, which is very likely derived from GMO corn, possibly implicated in other allergic reactions. https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Coconut-Powder-Envelope-1-76-Ounce/dp/B001SAQCNA/ref=pd_sbs_325_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001SAQCNA&pd_rd_r=MNK6ZRWQJB5EMG4KNJYT&pd_rd_w=ndR0I&pd_rd_wg=v8nqH&psc=1&refRID=MNK6ZRWQJB5EMG4KNJYT

A better brand for you with dairy issues is Native Forest because its dairy free. Native Forest also contains maltodextrin but it's tapioca based. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Native-Forest-Coconut-Milk-Powder-5-25-oz-Pack-of-6/46249967#read-more
And its now sold by Wally World so no need to pay the higher prices for it in health food stores or Whole Foods. I haven't seen it in all Wally Worlds though. I regularly consume various coconut products and grow coconut. I prefer fresh and never from concentrate. That's not trail practical though. The most intense creamiest coconut flavor of all powdered coconut milk powder readily available without mail order Ive tried ready for the trail is the Native Forest brand.

Venchka
03-28-2018, 19:50
Need to cut out dairy as the older I get the more it tears me up...my favorite morning cold coffee/ breakfast has been a mix of

Carnation instant breakfast, instant coffee, chocolate veggie protein powder and nido.

Instant breakfast is nonfat dry milk.
Nido is whole dry milk.
Try half a serving of Nido? Then none? You’re giving up calories and protein.
You might also try unsweetened unflavored pea protein.
https://www.bobsredmill.com/pea-protein-powder.html
Good luck.
Wayne

saltysack
03-28-2018, 20:08
Instant breakfast is nonfat dry milk.
Nido is whole dry milk.
Try half a serving of Nido? Then none? You’re giving up calories and protein.
You might also try unsweetened unflavored pea protein.
https://www.bobsredmill.com/pea-protein-powder.html
Good luck.
Wayne

Going to try with the coconut milk powder, veggie chocolate protein powder and instant coffee. Might be ok with just IB. I used to drink coffee every morning with 1% milk and have a smoothie made with whey protein for breakfast but started tearing up my stomach few years back. Since switching to veggie protein no real issues so I may be ok with using the IB without nido.....lactose overload!

Venchka
03-28-2018, 20:19
Good luck!
Fortunately I don’t have such problems. I think I could live off the IB+Nido+Pea protein+Instant Coffee. Stoveless. And peanuts. Thanks for the recipe way back when.
Wayne

saltysack
03-28-2018, 20:56
Good luck!
Fortunately I don’t have such problems. I think I could live off the IB+Nido+Pea protein+Instant Coffee. Stoveless. And peanuts. Thanks for the recipe way back when.
Wayne

I agree..I love that concoction so hopefully I can come up with something similar...

Maineiac64
03-28-2018, 21:54
You can also take a lactaid tablet.

Dogwood
03-29-2018, 01:19
Going to try with the coconut milk powder, veggie chocolate protein powder and instant coffee. Might be ok with just IB. I used to drink coffee every morning with 1% milk and have a smoothie made with whey protein for breakfast but started tearing up my stomach few years back. Since switching to veggie protein no real issues so I may be ok with using the IB without nido.....lactose overload!

Switching to pea protein from whey protein for your smoothies may resolve the digestive issues. Whey protein, again derived from dairy, is not always tolerated equally by everyone. This is well documented. You can try to see at what level you tolerate dairy based products in your drinks and meals by a process of elimination (no pun intended) or you just opt for dairy free more easily from the start. There are a wealth of alternatives to dairy.

I'm not particular dairy sensitive but I sure note better health when I limit it. Most dairy I consume is from H&H in coffee. On trail when I coffee fast one of the first things noticed is a clearing of mucus, better digestion, less or no gas, no bloating, greater assimilation of nutrients, less inflammation, clearing skin, and no IBS. Laying off the dairy contributes to a healthier immunolgoical system.

Amazed that dairy is praised as a health food when about 75 % of the world"s population is intolerant of it. Everything praised in dairy can be had in other food forms.

saltysack
03-29-2018, 07:18
Switching to pea protein from whey protein for your smoothies may resolve the digestive issues. Whey protein, again derived from dairy, is not always tolerated equally by everyone. This is well documented. You can try to see at what level you tolerate dairy based products in your drinks and meals by a process of elimination (no pun intended) or you just opt for dairy free more easily from the start. There are a wealth of alternatives to dairy.

I'm not particular dairy sensitive but I sure note better health when I limit it. Most dairy I consume is from H&H in coffee. On trail when I coffee fast one of the first things noticed is a clearing of mucus, better digestion, less or no gas, no bloating, greater assimilation of nutrients, less inflammation, clearing skin, and no IBS. Laying off the dairy contributes to a healthier immunolgoical system.

Amazed that dairy is praised as a health food when about 75 % of the world"s population is intolerant of it. Everything praised in dairy can be had in other food forms.

I switched from whey protein a lil while back and noticed a SOLID difference!!! No pun intended....[emoji51]... I still use 1% organic milk in coffee but eventually would like to get rid of all dairy.