PDA

View Full Version : Waist pack or other carry for AWOL guide book

fithiker
03-29-2018, 07:43
Looking for any suggestions on a lightweight waist pack or some other kind of easily accessible way to carry an AWOL AT guide book (7-1/2" wide x 5-1/4" tall x 1/2" thick).
Have tried a Gossamer Gear Hipster but it is too small.

Highland Goat
03-29-2018, 08:23
I typed up copious notes from AWOL and other guides, printed the information on cardstock, and cut it to a size that fit into my Osprey waist belt. I then broke cards up into section, paired each with a map, and put in my various mail drops. This saved quite a bit of weight, as even the thinnest guide is heavy.

tiptoe
03-29-2018, 08:25
Consider breaking the book into smaller sections (or buying the unbound version), and this problem solves itself. You can fold them and keep them dry in a ziplock. When I hike I carry them in a cargo pocket on my convertible pants.

Coffee
03-29-2018, 08:35
I have the unbound version. I put the section I'm hiking into a quart ziplock. Along with relevant maps, it goes in the side pocket of my ULA Circuit. No reason to have the entire book all the time.

CalebJ
03-29-2018, 08:41
Also, if you buy the PDF you can export the pages you need and even print multiple pages on a single sheet of paper. This may not be the best solution for a thru-hike, but it's perfect for a section.

jefals
03-29-2018, 09:20
Here's something I'm trying now with maps - it should work with unbound AWOL:
I have most of the map in my pack. The page I currently need is in a plastic 3 ring binder sleeve, carabinered on a piece of line to my shoulder strap. I started doing that because I got tired of having to reach in my pocket, unfold it, find what I'm looking for, fold it back up and put it back in my pocket. This way it's always readily available and stays in good condition. The wind does twist that line around, which wears on the hole in the plastic, so I've reinforced it with a little duct tape. Seems to be working so far.

lonehiker
03-29-2018, 09:57
Tear out the pages and keep a couple in a pint freezer bag. I folded them into 3rds and followed along as I hit landmarks. Zip-lock folded over fit nicely in chest pocket.

Bearleg
03-29-2018, 10:14
I had ULA make a pouch that hangs between my shoulder straps on my Catalyst to store my phone, pages of AWOL, valuables and snacks for the day. I had them put D rings in the corner, used the hand straps provided. works great. They were also able to use the same fabric to match my bag. Support the Cottage Industries.

Odd Man Out
03-29-2018, 15:55
I have thought about going to a waist pouch/fanny pack such as the Hipster. I used one on my first hike, but found it troublesome to get my pack on an off with a the pouch around my waist. I then went to belt pouches on my pack, but they are pretty small I like to have quite a few things at hand besides a map or guide book (snacks, camera). Plus I rather liked the pouch in middle rather than towards the sides which is where the belt pouches tend to ride. I was thinking of maybe getting a cheap fanny pack, cutting off the straps, and using some clips to attach it to the pack belt. Zpacks makes a multipack that can be used as a chest pouch (as Bearleg described) or as a waist pouch (as I was envisioning), but I have not tried that one yet.

Christoph
03-29-2018, 16:48
If you're not too oppsed to the electrnic version (it's the exact same, just on .pdf format), you can get the .pdf and have it on your phone which most will carry with them anyway. Have that and maybe just print out the sections you need and carry those (like town maps, etc..). Just a thought. On my 1st thru attempt, I had the normal AWOL book with me and carried it in a ziplock in the front pouch of my pack. That worked pretty well as I planned ahead and only used it a few times a day to see what was coming up (looked at it on breaks). If your eyesight is good, you can print out the pages, say 2 to an 8.5x11 or even 4, front and back.

bamadog
03-29-2018, 17:03
I bought a fannypack at Wal Mart.It works great ! I keep current pages of my guide in there plus numerous other things.It is very handy.Highly recommended.

kolokolo
03-29-2018, 20:49
Looking for any suggestions on a lightweight waist pack or some other kind of easily accessible way to carry an AWOL AT guide book (7-1/2" wide x 5-1/4" tall x 1/2" thick).
Have tried a Gossamer Gear Hipster but it is too small.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/e591fa7a5e96be5046259439ab630b3f.jpg

I've been carrying this guide in my left pants pocket for ten years and 1300+ miles on the AT. (Although no longer printed, it's the same size as yours).

It just fits in mypocket, and I can get it out for quick reference without unzipping or opening anything.

English Stu
04-14-2018, 17:01
Although not on the AT on one long trip to avoid having another belt around the waist I cut off one strap from a fanny pack and replaced it with paracord. The removed clip was fixed to the hip belt i,e maintaining the fanny pack closing system. The fanny pack was fixed centrally. On the cord side I had quick release knot to take the fanny pack on and off, though I guess I could have used the clips. Nothing very heavy in it but useful. I could unclip the fanny pack, and tie the cord around my waist if I wanted to use the fanny pack on its own in town or just to keep security items close to me.

shelb
04-14-2018, 18:09
I only carry the pages for that particular day's hiking... I carry them in a ziplock baggie. The pages for the rest of my hike (which would not be the entire guide since I only section hike 100-200 miles at a time) are in my backpack where I will get them out each evening to prepare for the next day's journey....

Harrison Bergeron
04-14-2018, 20:12
I consider a waist pack essential. It's where I keep my wallet, valuables, and electronics -- not to mention maps and guides. But fair warning -- you won't look cool. During the month I spent on the AT, I only met one other guy using a waist pack, and he was an old fart just like me. (And he was also wearing and old fart bucket hat like me!)

The best I've found is my Eddie Bauer, but I don't think it's made anymore. You can find them on ebay, though. I like it because it's organized inside with separate pockets for your wallet, phone, etc and it's big enough to hold your guide and journal. It's got a clip to hold your car key. And it's fairly water resistant, too. It's got an outer mesh pocket for stuff like chapstick, bug repellent, and pills you want at hand, like vitamin "I" or benedril (put them in a Listerine Breath Strip plastic container).

By the way, I don't think I'd lug the whole guide on your waist. I tore out the pages I needed for my section hike and folded them in half to fit. If I was doing a thru, I'd keep the book in my pack and tear out a week's worth at a time for the waist pack.

https://www.ebay.com/i/292513390169?chn=ps

(https://www.ebay.com/i/292513390169?chn=ps)

sore ankle
04-15-2018, 14:07
I always carry a waist pack and use it to carry map, wallet, headlamp, and snacks for the day. Mine has two water bottle holders, one on either side of the pouch and I wear it so that all these items are right in front of me, waist high. I learned about this from old web posts by a guy named John O from New Jersey. I don't care if I look cool or not--function over form.

GolfHiker
04-15-2018, 15:51
We all have different packs, with various pockets, outside pouches, brains, etc., so whatever works best for you to carry your incidentals each day is what you'll do. That said, I would never buy anything or carry anything extra ( hipster) if a simple ziplock will handle your trail guide pages. Honestly, I was surprised to see how many thru hikers carried the entire book and just kept it dry in a ziplock. Given the prevalence of Gutthook for "on course" needs, the use of Trail Guides was mostly for future planning, thus less need to see and access while hiking. Final quick note.... When you are using AWOL for planning ahead, looking back, the easiest way to drive yourself nutty is to have the Unbound Version... Trust me on this, it's a challenging nightmare to keep the pages in order. So much easier to simply flip the pages on the bound version. If you have any plans to mail drop you can always split up your guide in half, quarter, etc. and just duct tape the binding. It works and you can still flip as needed.

As always, no wrong ways on this, but if you want to know what the thru hiker community is doing, this is it.

KDogg
04-15-2018, 16:04
Keep the book in your pack. Buy guthooks for your phone. Read your guide every evening at dinner or before bed and decide where you are stopping and where you are sleeping. While hiking, use guthooks for your daily guidance. No waist pack necessary.

Davem
06-10-2018, 20:43
I keep it in my pack and each morning I take a photo of whatever page I’ll need for that day.

MtDoraDave
06-10-2018, 21:01
Consider breaking the book into smaller sections (or buying the unbound version), and this problem solves itself. You can fold them and keep them dry in a ziplock. When I hike I carry them in a cargo pocket on my convertible pants.

For my 100ish mile sections, I photocopy the pages I need for that trip, trim them to size, and put them in a sandwich size Ziploc.
Each morning, or the night before, I arrange the pages and fold where necessary so I don't usually have to remove them from the Ziploc during the day to see everything I need.
I, too, keep it in my cargo pocket of my convertible pants.
If I were doing a thru hike, I'd probably cut the book into quarters and maybe also download guthook.
Much of that kind of planning would depend on the type and amount of logistical support I would be getting.

shelb
06-10-2018, 21:29
Keep the book in your pack. Buy guthooks for your phone. Read your guide every evening at dinner or before bed and decide where you are stopping and where you are sleeping. While hiking, use guthooks for your daily guidance. No waist pack necessary.

I put my daily AWOL pages into a ziplock bag (keeping the rest of the pages for the hike in my pack.) I then supplement with Guthooks.