PDA

View Full Version : Hows Massdrop work recently?

Crossup
03-29-2018, 11:04
I was pretty excited several months ago when I found out about Massdrop but reading a lot of bad press here(I think a lot of comments were about fairly old experiences) kept me from ordering. More and more I see mention here of this or that being offered on Massdrop which makes me wonder if people are having good experiences now. I'm on their mailing list so I know they are offering quite a lot of product, so how's it working out?

grubbster
03-29-2018, 11:08
For me, once you figure in wait times (can be months), shipping, delayed shipment, cost, etc., it is not worth it. You can almost always find the same or a similar product that is the same price or cheaper. Not many deals on there anymore.

DuneElliot
03-29-2018, 11:12
I've not tried it but I tend to find things about the same price on steepandcheap.com which is the bargain side of backcountry.com

Service and shipping with S&C and BC are both stellar, or at least have been for me.

KCNC
03-29-2018, 11:22
I've snagged a couple of things on MassDrop - both were offered at better prices than I found anywhere else and had definite shipping dates listed in the drop. Both arrived when promised. They were more specialty items, so perhaps that has something to do with it. A lot of what I see offered are most definitely "meh" on the excitement scale. I probably scrutinize their offers to a much higher degree than I do other items from other sources.

I wasn't aware of steepandcheap.com before this thread, so perhaps my thinking will now change.

As is the case with everything, caveat emptor!

Hatchet_1697
03-29-2018, 11:28
I’ve bought a few things there, but can usually find about the same price (item + shipping) elsewhere. The thing with Massdrop is make sure the item is exactly what you want. Their return policy isn’t the best.

“Massdrop Return Policy. We only offer returns for items that arrive damaged, defective, not as advertised, or missing components... all sales are final.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

John M
03-29-2018, 11:29
If the price is cheaper than Amazon or other discount sites and you're aware of the delivery time going in then its a good site. I scan the daily email but rarely order anything.

JC13
03-29-2018, 11:30
I've never had an issue with anything I have bought from MassDrop. They have items that are special runs that aren't offered anywhere else(or not at least at the time of the offering). I bought 2 UL Klymit pads that were not available anywhere else and for ~1-2 yrs MassDrop was the only place that had them. Eventually, Klymit started offering the same model pretty much but they still charge more than the MassDrop version.

For more "normal" items, I tend to check Amazon before buying as often it is cheaper, prime shipping and 5% cash back

Crossup
03-29-2018, 13:22
Yes, S&C is pretty good. I purchased a BA FC2 there last fall and thought I'd stole it only to find it for sale for nearly $50 less somewhere else. But $180 still is not bad, just goes to show though, theres always a better deal if you can find it.

Maui Rhino
03-29-2018, 13:27
I bought a pair of the Klymit Massdrop special edition pads for Christmas. They arrived when promised, and I found the prices reasonable. My one and only experience with them was great. I'd order something again if I really like what they're offering.

DuneElliot
03-29-2018, 13:52
Yes, S&C is pretty good. I purchased a BA FC2 there last fall and thought I'd stole it only to find it for sale for nearly $50 less somewhere else. But $180 still is not bad, just goes to show though, theres always a better deal if you can find it.

It happens, and yes there may be other better prices but I like that S&C also has great customer service along with their low prices...not always guaranteed with other low-price online places.

BowGal
03-29-2018, 15:10
I do my homework comparing a “deal” on Massdrop to other sites.
When I factor in exchange rate, shipping and potential duty, most deals don’t pan out.
I did get a great deal on ExIfficcio underwear, ditty bags to name a couple.

Old Grouse
03-29-2018, 15:26
What you may find more frequently on Massdrop than elsewhere is something from a cottage industry. My most recent Massdrop purchase was a pair of Goosefeet booties. I've never had a problem, but there is an element of delayed gratification involved with Massdrop.

Kaptainkriz
03-29-2018, 17:36
Worked very well very recently for me for my BlackRock Gear down beanie and Thermarest women's mattress!

Rex Clifton
03-29-2018, 19:21
Massdrop sucks! Every time I bought something from them they screwed it up. They either didn’t have the color, the shipment was delayed or they messed up charging my credit card. Last time they screwed up I had it and cancelled my account. The thing is, if you surf the web, you can usually find the item as cheap somewhere else without the hassles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AllDownhillFromHere
03-29-2018, 20:07
Always seemed culty. That's an L.

scrabbler
03-29-2018, 20:21
Ive bought a few things and it went as stated. But I've had friends that had orders delayed for months, incorrect order counts, etc. It would take an exclusive and/or downright real good deal for me to shop again, and I'd do so understanding the risks.

freekncreekn
03-30-2018, 00:01
I’ve had pretty good experiences with Massdrop. It’s a little bit like ordering off the internet 15 years ago - buyer beware. But, do your homework, know the market value of what you are looking for, and then factor in the longer wait for shipping. Some of their “drops” are not good deals at all. But occasionally, they will have something I want at a great price. Perhaps start off the way that I did: my first few purchases were cheaper purchases where I was just testing the site. As I felt more comfortable with it, I occasionally ordered some more expensive items. It has served me well over the last year or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bird Dawg
03-30-2018, 22:36
I’ve had pretty good experiences with Massdrop. It’s a little bit like ordering off the internet 15 years ago - buyer beware. But, do your homework, know the market value of what you are looking for, and then factor in the longer wait for shipping. Some of their “drops” are not good deals at all. But occasionally, they will have something I want at a great price. Perhaps start off the way that I did: my first few purchases were cheaper purchases where I was just testing the site. As I felt more comfortable with it, I occasionally ordered some more expensive items. It has served me well over the last year or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto that! Until recently, I'd only ordered items that were to be shipped after a short wait. But, early this year, I ordered a Massdrop version of the Granite Gear Crown2 backpack. I won't receive it until early June. I hope it's worth the wait. Did score a good deal on a Therm-a-Rest Xtherm and a few other items in the last year or so.

Rex Clifton
03-31-2018, 08:03
Ditto that! Until recently, I'd only ordered items that were to be shipped after a short wait. But, early this year, I ordered a Massdrop version of the Granite Gear Crown2 backpack. I won't receive it until early June. I hope it's worth the wait. Did score a good deal on a Therm-a-Rest Xtherm and a few other items in the last year or so.

I hope your Granite Gear packs fits right, cause if it don’t, you’re SOL. Massdrop does not accept returns except for damaged goods. You pay a little more on Amazon, but their packs come with free returns. I’ve sent back, at least, a half dozen packs over the years. If you buy from REI and, six months in, a shoulder strap rips out, no problem. Just bring it in and they’ll give you a new pack or a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QiWiz
03-31-2018, 17:31
I've never had an issue with anything I have bought from MassDrop. They have items that are special runs that aren't offered anywhere else(or not at least at the time of the offering). I bought 2 UL Klymit pads that were not available anywhere else and for ~1-2 yrs MassDrop was the only place that had them. Eventually, Klymit started offering the same model pretty much but they still charge more than the MassDrop version.

For more "normal" items, I tend to check Amazon before buying as often it is cheaper, prime shipping and 5% cash back

I have purchased a half-dozen items from MD in last year. No issues so far. Not good if you are in a hurry to get something. Always good to price compare.