PDA

View Full Version : Which rain "kilt"?

DuneElliot
03-29-2018, 13:19
Trying to decide whether to buy the ULA or ZPacks rain kilt. I like CF for my tent and tarp but know it can be delicate. I prefer it for my tent and tarp for the waterproof qualities and lack of stretch.

I like the idea of the stiffer CF skirt with a zipper from ZPacks for hiking but also heard that my pack's hip belt might cause abrasion quickly

Silnylon from ULA has less structure but seems as though it would be more durable.

Any thoughts or experiences with either of these?

I wear a poncho usually but find that it isn't good enough cover for my legs....great for everything else though, including my pack.

swisscross
03-29-2018, 13:28
Another option is MLD. I like mine.

JC13
03-29-2018, 13:31
Another is to make one out of tyvek. Weighs ~3 oz with a velcro closure. Can weigh less depending on how much tyvek, tyvek tape and what velcro you use. Mine doubles as a groundcloth in shelters.

PatmanTN
03-29-2018, 13:45
This is probably not environmentally friendly but we happened to have a bunch of left over painters plastic (don't remember the exact thickness) and wife has cut simple wraps that seem to work well on trail (not so much off):

This one was only to cover pants which are tucked into high gaiters:

https://photos.smugmug.com/2018/Feb-24-25-Honey-Creek-NA-Off-trail-w-Suasn/i-rB6bsGX/0/9b57208c/L/DSCN4188-L.jpg

DuneElliot
03-29-2018, 13:50
I don't have much interest in making one but I appreciate the ideas. I'm more interested in knowing the pros and cons of these two brands, and MLD if they also make one.

Puddlefish
03-29-2018, 14:36
You don't need structure in a rain kilt, or at least I don't. I made my own out of silnylon, it's just about keeping your shorts dry, but with a whole lot more ventilation than rain paints. Keep the rain out, doesn't keep the sweat in. Go with whatever is cheaper and lighter, if you have concerns with abrasion from the hip belt, don't buy that brand.

lonehiker
03-29-2018, 14:38
I've had good luck with my ULA kilt. Can't compare it to anything else as it is the only one I own and use but am satisfied with the product.

Flounder940
03-29-2018, 16:12
Also look at lightheartgear.com for their rain skirt. I have one and like it.

fastfoxengineering
03-29-2018, 16:21
From my own research I've found that most experienced rain skirt users prefer a silnylon one over cuben.

I also think a zipper on the Zpacks is just a gear fail waiting to happen.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
03-29-2018, 17:06
From my own research I've found that most experienced rain skirt users prefer a silnylon one over cuben.
I also think a zipper on the Zpacks is just a gear fail waiting to happen.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That's the kind of input I was looking for. Thank you.

rocketsocks
03-29-2018, 17:31
The rap around type offer a expansion with regard to the Knees not being hobbled by the Betty Boop gurdle tupe do not.

Miner
03-29-2018, 22:04
The original owner of ULA (before he sold it to the current owners) use to outsource their kilt making to Etowah Gear (https://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/Rain-Wrap-RWS.htm). If you buy from them, also consider getting one of their bright orange silnylon pack covers as they work great in hunting season or if you have to do paved road walks (more of a CDT than an AT problem). Theirs attaches together with 3 short strips of velcro. On the rare occasion when I had to stretch my legs too far for the circumference, the velcro easily pulled appart without causing me to break my stride. A zipper design just seems like a failure waiting to happen and it won't give when you need it to. Used it for several years in the Sierra Nevada and on a PCT thru-hike.

The current ULA rain skirts are a very similar design. Until recently, ULA didn't allow you too choose colors. I see they now allow you to buy Orange packcovers. I asked last year and was told no.

I also use to have the 1st generation zpacks cuben fiber rain skirt which use to be a wrap around design. I had a short knee length one that I bought for summer use over a pair of shorts. It worked great and I liked the wrap around design for when I had to scramble up boulders found along the AT. It allowed for much more give without getting pushed up your leg. And given how sometimes your clothes won't dry out overnight on the AT, I preferred wearing a very breathable short rain skirt over shorts than getting them soaked.

That said, I do like MLD as a company and have been considering one of their cuben fiber ones as I lost my original Zpacks one last year on the JMT somewhere and I don't want a zippered one.

Dogwood
03-30-2018, 00:30
Prefer ZPacks design over ULA's. Even though the zipper is a potential pt of failure I stay drier. Even if it does fail I tend to use a rain skirt/wrap during warm weather so the failure if it did occur is less critical. If heavy wind is anticipated I may opt back to the most breathable rain pants I have. It depends on how cold it's going to be and how I'm layering. If cooler and still opting for the kilt I usually like to throw in gaiters to keep water from dripping into shoes. This is one of things I don't like about rain wraps, the channeling of water right into my shoes. This is why I may throw in rain chaps that come over shoes.

TexasBob
03-30-2018, 08:47
Also look at lightheartgear.com for their rain skirt. I have one and like it.

Agree. Well made and great customer service.

jgillam
03-30-2018, 16:33
I have the largest size, Zpacks kilt myself. I found that it was either too long for me or didn't have enough room for walking. When climbing up hills, my legs simply didn't have enough room to hit full stride. I had to hike it it a foot above my waist so I could walk freely.

I'm not sure what I'll do about it. I love the material and ability to open it up at camp. I'll either keep hiking it up or, buy a different one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dogwood
03-30-2018, 17:43
I have the largest size, Zpacks kilt myself. I found that it was either too long for me or didn't have enough room for walking. When climbing up hills, my legs simply didn't have enough room to hit full stride. I had to hike it it a foot above my waist so I could walk freely.

I have a large size and often wide gait. I unzip from the bottom to accommodate when I'm going steeply up hill or stretching out my step.

You pointed out one of the issues of a rain wrap I've had too, getting the length right with my body and walking mechanics.

Dogwood
03-30-2018, 17:45
If too narrow a girth just about knee height good way to pop the zipper.

Dogwood
03-30-2018, 18:18
Correction. I have the reg size ZP rain wrap. It might make a difference in what you JG experience as you have the large which has a different geometry.

saltysack
04-02-2018, 12:02
Was happy with the ULA rain wrap but rarely used it or felt I needed it. Have since replaced with water resistant rip stop [emoji126] pants[emoji38]....ultra light and ultra cheap!! they work and breath well. I’m sure they would wet out fairly quickly in heavy rain but like them as go between hot rain pants and a skirt....had lil freezing rain recently on a short section over Roan and stayed warm in dry over my shorts...im the old man on the left with the puphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/f9a1f5635437fc7b3fbcb3ab1b7c3f42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astro
04-02-2018, 23:41
ULA kilt has worked fine for me the past few years.

DuneElliot
04-03-2018, 12:50
So which of these are actually like a kilt...with the overlap to permit long strides or sitting cross-legged.

trailmercury
04-03-2018, 13:14
The Z-packs does not do that, so technically it is more of a skirt... but the zipper can be opened from the bottom to allow for freedom of movement.

DuneElliot
04-03-2018, 14:21
The Z-packs does not do that, so technically it is more of a skirt... but the zipper can be opened from the bottom to allow for freedom of movement.

Yeah, I saw that. I guess I'm hoping someone actually makes a true kilt, although not with the pleats...lol

TexasBob
04-03-2018, 19:40
Yeah, I saw that. I guess I'm hoping someone actually makes a true kilt, although not with the pleats...lol
check this one out, it maybe what you are looking for.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/rain-gear/product/182-rain-wrap

mrmoose97
04-03-2018, 22:47
Antigravity gear makes a real nice one. Silnylon and velcro closures. You can order different lengths to suit you personally. It seams to be the most kilt like I've run across so far.

I use this for day hikes and shorter trips. I've got a packa I use for backpacking and like it a lot. The rain kilt gives closer coverage for my legs in cooler weather

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
04-04-2018, 20:00
check this one out, it maybe what you are looking for.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/rain-gear/product/182-rain-wrap

I didn't realize LHG was a wrap vs a skirt. I like it...wish there were more color choices though. But beggars can't be choosers. I wonder if there is someone on here who would like to take on a DIY project for a rain kilt. I think I might have to make a post and see.

Runner2017
04-16-2018, 22:25
Check out Sierra Designs Elite Cagoule jacket:

https://youtu.be/y3qTshBp6iQ

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

lonehiker
04-17-2018, 10:29
Check out Sierra Designs Elite Cagoule jacket:

https://youtu.be/y3qTshBp6iQ

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

I don't like that it is a pullover. Otherwise it has some really good features. I have toyed with the chap idea in the past but still go with the kilt for ease of putting on and taking off.

lonehiker
04-17-2018, 10:42
The have a zippered version with similar features. It is the Ultralight Trench.

DuneElliot
04-17-2018, 19:31
I'm still looking for a true kilt. Guess I need to post in the DIY section.

khysanth
04-19-2018, 18:59
Nobody mentioned the kilt from aliexpress.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3f-ul-gear-Cycling-Camping-Hiking-Rain-Pants-Lightweight-Waterproof-Rain-Skirt-65g/32846391806.html

About $12 shipped to you in a couple weeks. Plenty big enough to overlap.

Two Tents
04-23-2018, 20:52
The Tyvek rain kilt I made; Its a ground cloth, kilt, a storm door beak and a tarp extension for hammocking. can close off my ground tarp and I can Velcro a storm flap on my asym hammock tarp and often use it when I'm doing meal time. A pretty handy item.

MuddyWaters
04-23-2018, 23:22
Zpacks works for me in warmer weather.
But let's be honest in warmer weather you really don't need anything at all. But it doubles as Extra Protection under my inflatable. This is the reason that some UL hikers will just use their ground sheet and wrap it around their waist when it rains.... Not necessarily important enough to bring separate gear item for.

If it's colder weather or higher altitude i take the rain pants to block wind . A skirt isnt enough for me. I've been quite chilled it just 50 degrees and rainy hiking downhill and retaining heat is important. Ymmv depending on how fat you are.

rocketsocks
04-24-2018, 00:27
Colin’s Kilt...from a plastic bag.

Deacon
04-24-2018, 06:54
Zpacks works for me in warmer weather.
But let's be honest in warmer weather you really don't need anything at all. But it doubles as Extra Protection under my inflatable. This is the reason that some UL hikers will just use their ground sheet and wrap it around their waist when it rains.... Not necessarily important enough to bring separate gear item for.

If it's colder weather or higher altitude i take the rain pants to block wind . A skirt isnt enough for me. I've been quite chilled it just 50 degrees and rainy hiking downhill and retaining heat is important. Ymmv depending on how fat you are.

I love ZPacks gear, but their latest rain kilt is a terrible design. One giant step and the zipper is ruined. They need to rethink that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bansko
04-24-2018, 12:19
In 2200 miles I never saw the need for a rain kilt, ever. I ditched my rain pants in Virginia and never looked back. I needed them for extra warmth in the Smokies when wind chill and and night hiking required them, but once things warmed up lower body rain gear just seemed stupid.