PDA

View Full Version : Shuttles after Hot Springs

TSWisla
03-30-2018, 14:21
I had to postpone my spring hike through the Smoky Mountains. I have had some horrible luck with my health and it only continues. Anyway, I am moving the hike to begin on Oct 1st. I am starting at Fontana and going N. I originally planned to park at Big Creek Ranger Station and have a shuttle take me to Fontana. In the fall, I will have more time and plan to hike past the station at least to Hot Springs and hopefully past. If I still park at the ranger station, will I have trouble finding a shuttle to drive me back to the ranger station? Any other options that I should consider? Additionally, does the Standing Bear Farm require reservations? Is it open in October? Thank you in advance.

saltysack
03-30-2018, 14:37
Easy shuttle from Uncle J or 10k in erwin or Bluff mtn outfitters in HS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNhiker
03-30-2018, 14:54
someone was saying bluff mountain has retired and stopped doing shuttles...

Tennessee Viking
03-30-2018, 15:05
Ditto on shuttles.
Hemlock Hollow - new owners.
New Hostel a couple miles down on TN side from Sams Gap - Natures Inn

saltysack
03-30-2018, 15:07
someone was saying bluff mountain has retired and stopped doing shuttles...

They sub out to wild bill and others...wild bill is interesting guy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSWisla
03-30-2018, 18:04
Thank you everyone. In general, hostels do not need or take any sort of reservation, correct?

tdoczi
03-30-2018, 18:21
Thank you everyone. In general, hostels do not need or take any sort of reservation, correct?
i once called standing bear to ask if it was possible to reserve a cabin. i was told no.

upon arrival i asked if there was a cabin available and was informed they had all been reserved.

so there ya go.

MuddyWaters
03-31-2018, 05:20

Some do some don't.
Always prudent to call ahead

The nicer the place the more likely they do they do

Thru-hikers quickly learn this, and compete for the limited spaces at some hostels.