PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg to Daleville info

icebeard
03-31-2018, 21:08
Hi everyone!
Thinking about doing Pearisburg to Daleville nobo for my next section. What's the terrain, resupply, etc like in this section? Strong section hiker I've done sections in the mid Atlantic, the Whites, Maine so I'm a capable guy used to averaging 15 or so mi a day. Does 7 days seem doable for this section from those of you familiar with it?

Slo-go'en
03-31-2018, 23:14
It's moderate. A mix of ridge walking and gaps in between them. Seven days for 92 miles is reasonable.

Pastor Bryon
04-01-2018, 01:36
Yup, no problem. There are a couple of long stretches with little or no water sources. Plan accordingly if going in hot weather.

ratfaceraines
04-01-2018, 07:59
Any questions about this section, call anytime @540-921-7433. I shuttle out of pearisburg.

Toolumpy
04-01-2018, 10:51
Did in 6 days, usually on trail by 7:30 at camp by 4pm. A great stretch.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2018, 10:56
I hope the section from Rice Field to Pine Swamp has been brushed. Last time I did that section could hardly see the trail it was so grown in.

ldsailor
04-01-2018, 12:21
I did Pearisburg to Dalesville during a longer section hike last year. It took me seven days for that part of my hike. I went through there the second week of May. Weather was cool - very good for hiking - for the initial part, and then it started getting warmer. You'll pass the Dragon Tooth (tough climb down from there), McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. That's some really good hiking with awesome views (I think Tinker Cliffs is better than the more famous McAfee Knob).

Just after the climb down from Dragon Tooth, there is a camp site by VA 624. Whether you camp there for the night or continue on, you may want to take a walk along the road, turn left, and there is a convenience store/gas station. They have sandwiches and pizza. You should be able to do a limited resupply there.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2018, 16:49
Just after the climb down from Dragon Tooth, there is a camp site by VA 624. Whether you camp there for the night or continue on, you may want to take a walk along the road, turn left, and there is a convenience store/gas station. They have sandwiches and pizza. You should be able to do a limited resupply there.

You can actually do a pretty good resupply at the Catawba Grocery. The book says it's 0.3 miles, but it seemed more like 0.2 to me. They will let you camp behind the store, which is probably a better option. I don't remember seeing a campsite near VA624, but then I don't look for campsites next to roads.

icebeard
04-01-2018, 18:01
Awesome advice guys, thank you!
Here my proposed itenerary:
Day 1- Pearisburg to Rice Field- 6.3
Day 2- Rice to Pine Swamp Branch- 12.6
Day 3- PSB to War Spur- 12.7
Day 4- War Spur to Sarver- 12.2
Day 5- Sarver to Pickle Branch- 16.1
Day 6- Pickle to Campbell- 17
Day 7- Campbell to Daleville- 15.4

carouselambra
04-01-2018, 22:07
I hiked that area last year. Looking at your itinerary and trying to remember some of the area:
* Used Don Raines for my shuttling and was very happy with his service.
* There are some beautiful views into the valley at the Rice Field shelter. Make sure you get water at that is within the last 1/2 mile of the shelter.
* Last fall the Pine Swamp Branch shelter was closed for overnight camping. Instead of staying there, we stayed at the point where you used to be able to go to the Captain's Place. It was only one mile further. There were many good tent sites along the strong running creek.
* Stayed at the War Spur Shelter and had it to ourselves. Good water source there.
* There is a short, but maddening walk across a stretch of rocks near the Baily Gap shelter.
* Between Sarver Hollow and Niday there are some walks across some smooth rock that can be tricky if wet. We went through in tropical storm conditions and after slipping and falling, found that in some areas it was best to crawl on on all fours for twenty or thirty yards.
* Didn't stay at the Pickle Branch shelter because it was a ways off trail and the water was said to be suspect at the time. We instead tented at VA620 (gravel road). Good tentsites, but right by the road. Good creek for water.
* I agree with the comments that the views at Tinker Cliffs are as good, or better, as McAfee's Knob. Safer too.

LittleRock
04-02-2018, 08:57
This section gets my vote for "toughest part of Virginia". The trail runs perpendicular to the ridges, which means several back-to-back 1500-2000' climbs/descents, some of which are pretty steep. I hiked 73 miles from Pearisburg to Hwy 311 in 5 days. I felt whupped by the end, but I made it. Pearisburg to Daleville in 7 days seems reasonable. Here are some notes that might be helpful in planning your hike.

1) There is only 1 water source between Rice Field and Pine Swamp. It is a small spring just off trail about 3 1/2 miles north of Rice Field Shelter. In general, don't expect to find water anywhere other than at the shelters and some of the places where there is a road crossing at a creek.
2) The 2 1/2 miles between Rice Field and Stony Creek was poorly maintained when i went through there 2 years ago. Overgrown and lots of fallen trees, slow going.
3) The 4 miles between Bailey Gap Shelter and Wind Rock was extremely rocky and it was slow going.
4) Sarver Hollow Shelter was very nice, but it is a steep 0.4 mile down the trail, and the water source was just a slow trickle when I was there.
5) The 3 miles north of Sarver Hollow Shelter along the top of Sinking Creek Mtn is a big rock scramble. It looks flat on the topo, but don't expect those miles to go quickly. I started early from Sarver Hollow and it took me until lunchtime to do the 6 miles to Niday.
6) Thankfully, the next 10 miles to Pickle Branch are the easiest on the entire section. The trail is smooth and well graded. The water source at Pickle Branch is good, but the shelter itself is about 1/3 mile off trail.
7) Dragon's Tooth is a doozy. The first mile downhill from the summit is very rocky and steep. There were a few places where I had to take my pack off and send it down ahead of me. Be careful, especially if it's wet, and don't expect to get through it in less than an hour.
8) Four Pines Hostel is just off-trail at VA 624 north of Dragon's Tooth. They will take you to the Homeplace, an AYCE restaurant with some good Southern comfort food. Definitely recommend.
9) McAfee Knob is pretty in good weather but also often crowded. Tinker Cliffs was much more pleasant IMO.

map man
04-02-2018, 20:04
Thanks for the detailed intel, LittleRock and carouselambra. I have written a lot of notes on my maps for that section based on your comments. I'm going to be section hiking from Bland to Daleville in about five weeks. I'm guessing that iffy water sources in early May are more likely to be running for me than for those who have hiked this section in the fall.

Odd Man Out
04-03-2018, 00:22
Note that after you come down from Dragon's Tooth there is no dispersed camping allowed until Daleville. I rather enjoyed the valleys between the ridges before DT. There's a bridge across a beaver pond and a giant oak. My favorite part was Sinking Creek Mtn. There is a very small gap in the rocks you have to squeeze through in the scramble section. I missed the blaze and followed the false trail around the left side of the rocks which comes to a dead end after a few yards. I doubled back to the last blaze and made the same wrong turn a second time. I was getting pissed that I could get lost on a ridge that is only a few yards wide. On the third try, I saw thw blaze leading you through the narrow gap and I say out loud "you've got to be kidding". I carried enough water to dry camp on the ridge since its a long way down to the shelter and I didn't want to climb the mountain twice, My best camp site ever was in the rocks on the top of Sinking Creek Mtn. The ridge was only a few yards wide there so I had a view of the sunset out one side of my tent and sunrise out the other. Otherwise I camped near the creeks by the road crossings. Some of the roads there are remote FS roads and so they were very quiet. I was there in mid summer.

Odd Man Out
04-03-2018, 00:24
Also at the top of the climb on the mountain where you find the Audie Murphy Monument there is a bench. Best bench ever. Then that ridge walk is on an old fire road that is like,a grass covered highway.

Gambit McCrae
04-03-2018, 09:42
-This section has reasonably high bear activity in the summer.
-Water can run low in this stretch
-Stay at the captains place - At least stop by say hello and grab a Coke
-4 pines hostel is a welcome sight as well
-The white church at US 42 Sinking Creek is hiker friendly but they do not advertise that they are. They have a pavilion behind the church that they are okay with hikers using as long as they are respectful (I spoke with the Pastor before planning to park here).
-Plan on cutting your regular hiking time in half coming down the north side of Dragons Tooth.

Night Train
04-11-2018, 23:02
AT guide is your best friend, it should contain all the info you're seeking.

Odd Man Out
04-12-2018, 10:31
Thanks for the detailed intel, LittleRock and carouselambra. I have written a lot of notes on my maps for that section based on your comments. I'm going to be section hiking from Bland to Daleville in about five weeks. I'm guessing that iffy water sources in early May are more likely to be running for me than for those who have hiked this section in the fall.

FYI, Locals will sometimes cache some water for hikers at the parking lot for McAfee Knob which is in the middle of that dry spot. Of course you can't count on a water cache, but it could be helpful if you know to look for it.

Berserker
04-12-2018, 12:14
Hi everyone!
Thinking about doing Pearisburg to Daleville nobo for my next section. What's the terrain, resupply, etc like in this section? Strong section hiker I've done sections in the mid Atlantic, the Whites, Maine so I'm a capable guy used to averaging 15 or so mi a day. Does 7 days seem doable for this section from those of you familiar with it?
Yes, if you can do 15 mpd and have done stuff in the Whites and ME, everything else on the AT is easy in comparison. The descent off of Dragons Tooth (<1 mile) will remind you of the Whites.

Not a lot else to add as other posters gave you a bunch of great detail.

icebeard
04-12-2018, 21:35
Thanks everyone for the info! Looking forward to doing this section, will give a trip report upon my return!

Seatbelt
04-13-2018, 07:43
Thanks everyone for the info! Looking forward to doing this section, will give a trip report upon my return!
Looking forward to your report. I am doing this section later this year as well. When do you expect to go?

ratfaceraines
04-13-2018, 21:56
If you are in need of a shuttle, I'm out of pearisburg, feel free to call anytime 540-921-7433.