PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in VT mud season

rdljr
04-01-2018, 09:04
Being that mud season is starting or has started I was wondering if Section 1 and 2 in VT can be done during the mud season. I see that they are not on the list of recommended mud season hikes on the GMC website but the trail also does not go over 1600 feet. So no fragile mountain ecosystem to hurt. So if I am willing to walk straight down the middle of the path if I find mud, is that an OK hiking area during April?

Or is that a part of the trail where I am likely to find not mud but streams?

Thanks

Slo-go'en
04-01-2018, 10:51
Please don't do it. That's a very muddy section at the best of times. Although there is no official closing of the AT for mud season, it's really not a good thing to do. Not only is it bad for the trail, it's not at all pleasant hiking.

Good luck walking down the middle of the trail through the slop. You have to constantly probe ahead with your poles to find a solid place to step or you could sink down to your knees. Plus it was a really rough winter and there will likely be a lot of blow downs to deal with.

Lets look at the weather for the next 6 days at the Melville Nauheim shelter.
Monday - chance of snow, low around 25
Tuesday - Rain likely, low 37
Wednesday - Rain likely, low of 21
Thursday - sunny, but high of 37, low of 20
Friday - snow likely, high near 38. low around 20
Saturday - chance of snow.

So, between the rain and the snow and the below freezing temps for the next 10 days, you really don't want to be on the trail. That brings you into about the middle of the month. If the next 10 days after that aren't much better conditions are going to suck into May, when mud season really cranks up. It will be June before the trail is in any kind of shape to hike on.

If you want to go hiking in April, head south - well south.

egilbe
04-01-2018, 11:01
App is the worst month to go hiking in New England and most if May isn't much better. Then, the bugs are out until Mid July. Then it's hot. For about two weeks. About the middle of August to the end of September is the best time to go hiking in New England, in my opinion, although I do like hiking in snow, too.

moldy
04-01-2018, 11:03
I hiked these 2 sections starting on May 15th with no issues at all with mud. But that does not mean anything because it was not raining. One of the problems in this area is that deep snow at the tops is shaded by the thick pine trees so the sun has trouble getting it to melt. The mountains lack real steepness so the combination of a late melt off and slow trickle with heavy rains can make for a mess. Another problem is the GMC. They have so hyped the infamous Vermont mud season with untruth's, that they can't be trusted. Every year they paint a dismal picture designed to keep people off the trail no matter what the actual conditions are. So, to answer your question, If we have lots of rain it will be too muddy for an enjoyable hike. Otherwise, go for it.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2018, 11:43
Moldy, you lucked out with a low snow year and dry spring. That will not be the case this year. I've lived in Vermont and I probably have close to a 1000 miles logged on the AT/LT in Vermont. I know how bad the mud can be - even in June and July. In April it's just totally insane. The middle of May you might have a chance, so long as it doesn't rain while your out there.

GoldenBear
04-01-2018, 15:17
Don't hike in Vermont when it's muddy!
If you do, you'll regret it -- today, tomorrow, and for the rest of your life.
My worst week of hiking occurred when I didn't take this advice:
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php/7960-Too-muddy-too-muggy-too-buggy-Part-1
(and that just Part 1!)

Forget the damage that you'll be doing to The Trail, making it less enjoyable for those who follow you.
Think of YOURSELF, and the misery you'll be inflicting on YOU.

rdljr
04-01-2018, 16:00
Thanks for the answers, not the ones I wanted but that is life. Was hopping for a "that part of the trail is mostly rock walk and dried up already".

Slo-go'en
04-01-2018, 16:42
Thanks for the answers, not the ones I wanted but that is life. Was hopping for a "that part of the trail is mostly rock walk and dried up already".

On my Harpers Ferry to NH hike 2 years ago, I hit Vermont at the beginning of June. Just as it started to rain again. Also just as my boots stopped being waterproof. It was not pleasant.

Here's what my boots looked like when I replaced them at Manchester Center. That was after a dry day.

Cosmo
04-01-2018, 17:25
If you leave tomorrow,you might be all right. I was up at the border yesterday from Mass. There’s still about 8”of snow up there. Twas nice and crusty till about noon, then soft like butter on the way back down. Lots of water under the snow.

Seriously, save your LT hike till the end of May. Your shoes (and the rest of us who hike there) will thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cosmo

Please don't do it. That's a very muddy section at the best of times. Although there is no official closing of the AT for mud season, it's really not a good thing to do. Not only is it bad for the trail, it's not at all pleasant hiking.

Good luck walking down the middle of the trail through the slop. You have to constantly probe ahead with your poles to find a solid place to step or you could sink down to your knees. Plus it was a really rough winter and there will likely be a lot of blow downs to deal with.

Lets look at the weather for the next 6 days at the Melville Nauheim shelter.
Monday - chance of snow, low around 25
Tuesday - Rain likely, low 37
Wednesday - Rain likely, low of 21
Thursday - sunny, but high of 37, low of 20
Friday - snow likely, high near 38. low around 20
Saturday - chance of snow.

So, between the rain and the snow and the below freezing temps for the next 10 days, you really don't want to be on the trail. That brings you into about the middle of the month. If the next 10 days after that aren't much better conditions are going to suck into May, when mud season really cranks up. It will be June before the trail is in any kind of shape to hike on.

If you want to go hiking in April, head south - well south.

stowe18
04-02-2018, 10:48
I hiked from MA to Stratton last Memorial Day 2017 — 40 miles of Ver-mud. Never experienced any hike like that in my life. It rained HARD for several days beforehand and during half of the hike. But when you take the time off work, arrange someone to watch your kids, and all the stars align for you to get the time to go— I was stubborn and still went.

Learned my lesson with hiking the LT too early in the season. Beautiful and challenging trail for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye
04-02-2018, 19:44

Nope, that part of the trail is not as you hope.