PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking for 4-7 days on the AT near the smokies in March?

trumanxc
02-13-2006, 14:04
Ok so my brother and sister and I are going to be making a trip to the smokies in march for a near week long backpacking trip. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a loop? What the weather could be like? and how busy are the lean-to shealters going to be with a large contingent of north bounders heading through there mid-march? Thanks in advance for any information.

trumanxc

Gray Blazer
02-13-2006, 14:08
If you're near there Mar25-26 come by the Thru hiker feed on Rocky Bald.

Krewzer
02-14-2006, 01:19
Just a suggestion, but you could hike out of the Deep Creek or Noland Creek area (close to Bryson City, NC). You can do some pretty good loop hikes up to the AT and back.

Hope for Spring weather, but expect and plan for snow and very cold weather. It seems someone gets caught unawares in the Smokies by weather every year about this time. Last year, about the second week of March it was 4 hikers at Derrick Knob; one was airlifted, three others helped down by park rangers.

Yes, there will most likely be thru-hikers at the shelters. How many depends on when you are going. I'd expect to see many more during mid to late March. Space shouldn't be a problem. Call for campsite and shelter reservations and your backcountry permit. It's required and your reservations will give you first dibs on bunk space.

Happy Trails

ScottP
02-14-2006, 22:16
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/maps.html

The maps at the above site are broken at the moment, so my description won't be as good as it could. If what I do have interestes you send me a PM or E-mail and I can help some more.

Possible Loop: Park car where the AT crosses the road from Gatlinberg (Newfound Gap). Start near Smokemont and hike towards newton's bald (a fun ,but cold and windy campsite--it's on a saddle that is pretty much the peak of the mountain, and has a great view). Another memorable campsite was the last one before clingman's dome--it's beautiful and has great places to swim in pools underneath waterfalls, but there was a lot of garbage here. We filled up half of a full-sized garbage bag, I would guess at least 20 lbs worth of stuff.

I went to the following campsites: 52, 56, 61, 64, 71, 68 (or was it 69? whatever the last before the dome is), then climbed Clingman's dome and left. We did very few miles--I was leading first-timers.

End by climbing from

sliderule
02-14-2006, 22:49
Another memorable campsite was the last one before clingman's dome--it's beautiful and has great places to swim in pools underneath waterfalls...

And in March, you can be assured that the swimming areas in the Smokies will not be crowded!!!

Billygoatbritt
02-14-2006, 22:59
Some of the worst weather occurs in march. Extreme cold and snow catches many this time of year. Even if it is warm during the day, many trails will have "brown" ice built up over the winter.

gollwoods
02-15-2006, 05:52
here's one I have done parts of at different times. start at big creek parking area go up most elevation gain of any trail on the baxter creek trail. very strenuous. stay at the mt sterling firetower atop Mt sterling. head over to laurel gap shelter very easy trail. then down to enloe creek for a very secluded site along roaring Raven fork river. next you have to go up again to the hughes ridge trail to peck's corner or if you can make it to tricorner knob that day head there. you have been all around the raven fork drinage and can head east on A T with three different exits from here either take the camel gap trail down to walnut bottoms or continue on A Tto crosby knob shelter and then out via the chestnut branch trail with a visit to mt Cammerer fire tower. are you in exceedingly good physical condition? reverse the route may be easier.

timhines
02-15-2006, 10:56
not sure how long this would take, but you could get on the AT at the NOC (wesser, nc) hike towards clingman's dome, then hike from there back to deep creek and hitch a ride to wesser (it's only 14 miles away).

sliderule
02-15-2006, 10:58
My recommendation for a hike starting at Big Creek:
Big Creek Trail to Walnut Bottoms (#37)
Swallow Fork Trail, etc, to Mount Sterling (#38)
Mt Sterling Ridge Trail to Laurel Gap Shelter
Then to Tricorner Knob Shelter on the AT
AT northbound to Cosby Knob Shelter
Davenport Gap Shelter
On the last day backtrack on the AT to Chestnut Branch Trail or just hike the road back to Big Creek.

The only day with significant uphill is day two. Day one is an easy grade along an old gravel road. And if you decide to bail out after the second night, just take the Baxter Creek Trail back to your car. Bailing out after Cosby Knob is also easy. Take Low Gap Trail and Big Creek Trail.

Make sure that you are prepared to deal with ice, snow, wind and cold temps.

Krewzer
02-16-2006, 01:42
I second the Big Creek recommendations. Mt Sterling is great and the view from Mt Cammerer (just a hop skip and a jump from Cosby) is fantastic.

Another idea:
If you're mostly interested in hiking the AT in the Smokies, get a shuttle out of Gatlinburg. The Happy Hiker can probably help you out. Go to Cades Cove and hike up to Spence Field, or Russell. Then head north thru Newfound Gap then out to Mt LeConte via the Bouldvard Trail. (If you stay the night at Ice water Spring, you could make the side trip out to Charlie's Bunyon).Then come down Alum Cave Bluff trail (shortest way down, but spectacular). Arrange a ride back to Gatlinburg or hitch. Dependihg on your pace, this should give you 4 to 6 nice days of hiking. It's not exactly a loop, but it would be a really great hike.