PDA

View Full Version : snowshoes

flyefysch
02-13-2006, 15:28
I posted a thread here a while back asking "traditional or hi-tech snowshoes?". That question answered, I'd like to know what type of hi-tech snowshoes people are going for or what are the plusses and minusses of the different makes that people have used. I know that Tubbs and Atlas are two of the big ones out there in terms of a middle to high end shoe, but I've also found makes like Redfeather and Yukon Charlie in my search. What is the best shoe that you've found and why do you like it over others that you have tried? Primarily, I'd be doing recreational snowshoeing, but I'l like to purchase a pair that could take me on a decent weekend or longer winter camping trip someday.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Wolf - 23000
02-13-2006, 15:44
When I did the state of Maine I started off using a pair of LL Beam. They ended up snapping on me after 100 miles. After that I went to a pair of MSR Denali Ascent that I loved. Trail conductions often require me to switch back and forth between snowshoes to crampons. They made it easy to take off, store on my pack and put back on in sub-zero conductions. I'm very please with them.

Wolf

c.coyle
02-13-2006, 15:56
Let me suggest a small company in the Adirondacks that makes high quality, hand made, all American snowshoes at very reasonable prices:

Havlick Snowshoe Company, Mayfield NY (http://www.havlicksnowshoe.com/)

My wife and I own several pair. They are a real value. (I have no connection to these people, other than satisfied customer).

Peaks
02-13-2006, 18:33
If your definition of traditional snowshoes is an ash frame and leather lacing, then that type of snowshoe goes best over the fireplace. Most people today use an aluminum frame and plastic webbing.

Tubbs and Atlas are popular brands. However, among mountainers and winter peak baggers, the MSR snowshoes are popular. They like them because they track better.

chris
02-13-2006, 19:01
I use and like the MSR Denali shoes. I have the most basic ones, rather than the fancier, more expenisve Evo and Lightning ones. By weight I should use the floatation tails, but I actually like the shorter shoes as I feel more agile on mountains with the shorter ones and instead rely on general power to keep moving forward. I took a good snowshoeing trip this weekend with the shoes. You can see the results at

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/local/coldwater

The MSRs have a very nice feature: Side railings. These are rails that run down the outside of the shoe and provide extra grip and traction when traversing. I don't think the other brands mentioned have this feature. Note that this is in addition to the normal cleat that just about all snowshoes have.

Roland
02-13-2006, 19:27
flyefysch,

Here are some generalizations that may help you make-up your mind.

Mountaineering snowshoes are lighter, more compact, provide less flotation and cost twice as much as recreational gear. If you intend to carry snowshoes on your back when you switch to crampons and iceaxe, these are the ones to buy. Unless you need these qualities in snowshoes, only you can decide if buying mountaineering gear is worth the premium.