PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in April !!!

Suzzz
04-04-2018, 13:44
I just ordered a new Zpack Arc Haul Zip and can't wait to get it. And even more so, I can't wait to get rid of my 4 lbs pack!

I don't need it for a few more months but I wanted to avoid the spring rush (which may have already started for them). I also want to be able to do a few day hikes with it before I set out on my yearly section.

The snow is almost gone and I have itchy feet!

Gambit McCrae
04-04-2018, 14:09
Not saying you will, but people tend to get a little impatient with the wait time of zpacks so keep in mind it will be a few weeks more then likely.
I would say that their rush time has already started
As well, Be extra careful when opening it up as they do not put protective cardboard on the inside of box tape seams.

Enjoy and congrats on the new gear :)

Suzzz
04-04-2018, 20:22
Thanks for the tip on opening the shipping box, Gambit. I'll try not to get too exited.

And yes, I figure the wait time is going to test my patience as I would want to have it yesterday. I've wanted a Zpack for a few years now but I understand they are a small company and this is the busy time of year. My section hike is in 2.5 months so I'm not worried. Worst case scenario I'll use my current backpack. That would suck but there are much wors things in life.

Mountain Laurel
04-05-2018, 09:45
Our experience with Zpacks orders is they've been pretty true to the estimates for our purchases, and we ordered our Hauls during the Christmas season. We got our tent last fall, and it arrived in time for our rim to rim at the Grand Canyon.

I just love my Haul, and I went out of a 4-pound pack as well. It took a few tries for me to get used to adjusting the arc, but now it's getting to be more second nature. I thought I would miss a brain, zippers, blah, blah, but I absolutely do not. Yay! I wasn't able to reach the water pockets comfortably, but investing in an Aqua-clip that I keep on my hip belt has worked out great for me and my tiny T Rex arms. My husband wanted the blue one, so I ended up with green and named it Kermit. Between our packs and Zpacks tent, we shed serious weight and it makes the journey so much more pleasant. Enjoy!

Gambit McCrae
04-05-2018, 09:50
Our experience with Zpacks orders is they've been pretty true to the estimates for our purchases, and we ordered our Hauls during the Christmas season. We got our tent last fall, and it arrived in time for our rim to rim at the Grand Canyon.

I just love my Haul, and I went out of a 4-pound pack as well. It took a few tries for me to get used to adjusting the arc, but now it's getting to be more second nature. I thought I would miss a brain, zippers, blah, blah, but I absolutely do not. Yay! I wasn't able to reach the water pockets comfortably, but investing in an Aqua-clip that I keep on my hip belt has worked out great for me and my tiny T Rex arms. My husband wanted the blue one, so I ended up with green and named it Kermit. Between our packs and Zpacks tent, we shed serious weight and it makes the journey so much more pleasant. Enjoy!

Hey Mountain Laurel Welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome
I see your in Brentwood, I grew up there. Went to Ravenwood High

Mountain Laurel
04-05-2018, 10:11
Thank you! I have lurked this forum literally for years. I finally joined a while back so I could see the photos. Today I finally got brave enough to post. :)

My kids went to BHS and my son is almost your age -- I'm sure you have mutual friends!

Gambit McCrae
04-05-2018, 10:20
son is almost your age -- I'm sure you have mutual friends!

I hate that for him :rolleyes: lol

Suzzz
04-05-2018, 21:36

I too ordered two Aqua-clips. I can never reach my water bottles either and I like the idea of having a bottle on each hip to even out the weight, especially at that price. What's another 5 dollars, right? Zpack products are not cheap but they have a good reputation. I also ordered two hip belt pockets. That should be plenty of storage. The Zpack tent will be my next purchase.

The Rim to Rim is on my bucket list! How long did it take you to complete it?

And welcome to Whiteblaze ;-)

Maineiac64
04-05-2018, 21:50
You will love the arc haul zip. Have fun.

Venchka
04-05-2018, 21:54
The weather in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina matches your Christmas in April thoughts. Mid-20s or lower this morning and again this weekend.
Enjoy your new Christmas present.
Wayne

Rex Clifton
04-06-2018, 04:21
The weather in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina matches your Christmas in April thoughts. Mid-20s or lower this morning and again this weekend.
WayneBe thankful you don't live in Wisconsin!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mountain Laurel
04-06-2018, 08:47
We bought hip belt pockets and I got an extra for above the water bottle on one side and an extra on one strap for my sunglasses/cell phone. The cool thing about all the accessories is you can add them or remove them anytime. Our tent is a triplex. Hubs wanted to get camo and I didn't. Now I wish I had because so far every time we are outside the moon is full and it shines into our blue spruce one. Plus stealth would be better in camo. So if I had it to do over, I would.

I did a ton of research and snagged two nights at Bright Angel campground and all our meals at Phantom so we didn't have to carry food or stove. We shuttled over to the North Rim and camped there for the night and then headed down to BA. We got a late start due to some stuff going on at home, but we still got to the ranch before the 3 p.m. beer cutoff time. :) We hiked around on our day at the bottom and it was beautiful. We got up and hiked out in 6 hours up BA. It was beautiful and really not bad. We also ran into Darwin and Snuggles at 3-mile, which was pretty cool!

Thanks for the welcome! I may be getting brave and asking some questions. Hubs agreed to an 8-day GA section hike in a month for our 30th anniversary. Yay!!!

Suzzz
04-06-2018, 20:23
Wayne

I loved the Blue Ridge Parkway. What a great trip that was! We had great camping experiences and loved riding our motorcycles on the roads. Wow!

And yes, the weather up here is still not ''Springy'', it feels way more like winter but hopefully that will change soon.

grids7
04-19-2018, 12:01
Christmas in any month is good - I hope "Z"anta gets your goodies to you soon.