PDA

View Full Version : Re-Supply "Off-Season"

Countyline
04-05-2018, 10:15
I plan to section hike the entire AT in order NOBO over the next 6-7 years beginning in mid-May. I intend to eat principally dehydrated foods such as MRE's or ramen or noodle/rice sides but don''t want to carry more than 5+/- days supply at any one time. So my question is can I count on "outfitters" or other locations along the trail for a sufficient re-supply or should I do maildrops? I ask mainly because I will be about a month behind "the herd" and worry that the stores will be completely picked over by the time I get there. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gambit McCrae
04-05-2018, 10:46
I have done 1500 of the trail on the 7 year plan. At all times of year from hiking with the thru hiking crowd to hiking alone in January. I have used zero mail drops and have never had an issue with things being picked over. Dollar general and local groceries wont even see an impact of the thru hiking crowd. I would skip mail drops, start with 5 days of food and have an idea of where you would like to resupply at for the first time prior to leaving home. For example from Springer to Fontana there is pretty much a resupply option every 30 miles or so. From there you can either do the Smokies with all your food or jump down to Gburg halfway thru for a resupply. And then at i40 you are at standing bear farms hostel. Another 40 after that and your at Hot Springs. 60 after that your at Erwin and so on.

I would also like to disclaim that my information is only for what I have walked noted in my signature and although I will most likely keep my same strategy for the remainder of completing the trail, information above can only be held accountable for my personal experience of South of Vermont.

But I know that every year thousands walk all or some of the trail without ever having to quit due to lack of food for resupply in town :) Enjoy the journey, it has changed my life

ldsailor
04-05-2018, 10:56
I'm doing exactly what you are doing except my section hike will finish this year (three years total). The longest I have been out at one time is six weeks. Consequently, I have used two methods to resupply Mountain House exclusively for dinner, oatmeal for breakfast and protein bars for lunch and snacks. At the beginning of my section hike, I mail ahead at least two reprovision boxes. After that, I order online from Amazon. I'm a prime member, so I get free, two day shipping. Ordering from Amazon gives me the ability to buy what I want at an affordable price and have it waiting for me at an anticipated point two days in the future.

Most guys who provision in towns go into grocery stores or dollar stores. You get what they have and that is not always what you want. My method has proven very effective, and I'll be using it again this year when I hope to finish the AT.

Countyline
04-05-2018, 13:32
I should add I was not planning any trips to town except possibly Hiawassee. I was wondering more about places like Mountain Crossings or Top of Georgia.

Feral Bill
04-05-2018, 13:37
It matters a lot that MREs are not dehydrated, and weigh a ton. My son likes them for a night or two but they are not suitable for extended backpacking. Any halfway decent grocery has okay choices in dry foods, especially if you are not picky.

Gambit McCrae
04-05-2018, 13:41
I'm doing exactly what you are doing except my section hike will finish this year (three years total). The longest I have been out at one time is six weeks. Consequently, I have used two methods to resupply Mountain House exclusively for dinner, oatmeal for breakfast and protein bars for lunch and snacks. At the beginning of my section hike, I mail ahead at least two reprovision boxes. After that, I order online from Amazon. I'm a prime member, so I get free, two day shipping. Ordering from Amazon gives me the ability to buy what I want at an affordable price and have it waiting for me at an anticipated point two days in the future.

Most guys who provision in towns go into grocery stores or dollar stores. You get what they have and that is not always what you want. My method has proven very effective, and I'll be using it again this year when I hope to finish the AT.

I am as well a prime member as of this year and I will be thinking of your tactics as I continue north.

I should add I was not planning any trips to town except possibly Hiawassee. I was wondering more about places like Mountain Crossings or Top of Georgia.

You wont really have an issue with this until you get past Atkins, VA. After Atkins I can not think of anyplace "on the trail" until possibly Woods Hole, and then from there 4 pines hostel and Daleville Super 8 come to mind. After that your getting up into Rockfish gap, the SNP as I recall only has 1 or 2 "on trail amenities".

Not sure what you are trying to stay out of towns but even if its to pickup a box, With The AT...towns... are inevitable. But you'll figure that out along the way lol

kestral
04-05-2018, 18:10

Hiawassee has an ingles grocer which is incredible (good!) for resupply. Mountain crossings has a reasonable food choice, but it is a bit pricy, however you can get singe things (oatmeal packets, ect) so that will save you some $ on not buying unwanted extra. I have not been to top of Georgia, but their web site shows a good basic resupply. Also, you may be able to pick up a few things in hiker boxes as many folks take too much food when starting up.

It it will work out, enjoy your trip!

Bum Ditty
04-06-2018, 11:46

I'm intrigued by the Amazon idea. Where are you having the packages shipped to? Does the Post Office hold general delivery packages from Amazon?

BuckeyeBill
04-06-2018, 14:22
I'm with Feral Bill on the MRE's. They are great for car camping, emergency rations at the house or one - two day trips. The weight is the biggest downer and they contain a lot of stuff you may never use or need. The small amount of TP they give you is about good enough for maybe two BM's and works better as fire tinder than TP. Additionally they generate a lot of trash you need to haul out. I suppose you could warm them up with boiling water, but they make a magnesium heater for a hot meal, unless you like eating cold food.

ldsailor
04-07-2018, 11:55
I'm intrigued by the Amazon idea. Where are you having the packages shipped to? Does the Post Office hold general delivery packages from Amazon?

I have sent them both to the Post Office and hostels. Amazon has no way to permit customers to make custom instructions for labeling the cartons, so what i do is send it to myself with a hold message on the first addressee line. Be sure that you use the on-trail mailing addresses as a "ship to" and not your primary address. I also delete the "ship to" after receiving the package, so I don't erroneously send another package to the address in the future.

John Doe - Hold for Hiker
c/o Hiker Hostel
123 Main St.
Anywhere, NC 11111

or

John Doe - Hold for Hiker
US Post Office
123 Main St.
Anywhere, NC 11111

The Post Office will hold packages for thirty days; although I suspect those PO's on the trail probably will hold them longer. I usually contact hostels for a reservation to stay and to let them know a package is coming.

Amazon also has pickup locations. You can send a package to a "locker" where it will be held for your pickup. There are many in the St. Petersburg area where I live, but I don't know what's available on the trail. You can do a search on Amazon if you login to your account and go to your "addresses" page. I have never used their locker pickup service.

George
04-07-2018, 14:02
I plan to section hike the entire AT in order NOBO over the next 6-7 years beginning in mid-May. I intend to eat principally dehydrated foods such as MRE's or ramen or noodle/rice sides but don''t want to carry more than 5+/- days supply at any one time. So my question is can I count on "outfitters" or other locations along the trail for a sufficient re-supply or should I do maildrops? I ask mainly because I will be about a month behind "the herd" and worry that the stores will be completely picked over by the time I get there. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

you are not off season - that is winter - resupply will be easy

Bum Ditty
04-09-2018, 08:55
Great, thanks for the info!