PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs question?

mikewagus
04-06-2018, 07:43
I'll be doing a section hike from the Md/Pa border North at the end of this month. I plan on stopping in Boiling Springs to resupply and stay for the night. My question is, other than the Allenberry Resort, is there anywhere else to stay. I've read some reviews about the Buck Off Hostel, which would be fine, but understand that it may be closed. I want to avoid taking a shuttle into Carlisle just to stay for one night and returning to the trail the next day. I also understand that the Allenberry no longer offers "hikers rates". Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gambit McCrae
04-06-2018, 07:47
When I went thru that stretch I stayed south of there at the Iron Masters Mansion. 2 thumbs up for that place.

The next night I was in Boiling Springs and tent camped on the south side of town - resupply isn't so great there from my memory.

And the next night I was in Duncannon which is a good resupply.

mikewagus
04-06-2018, 07:51
I considered staying there but the problem is they're closed on Tuesday's and that's when I would be going thru there.

Highland Goat
04-06-2018, 07:56
There are a few locals that put up thru-hikers, but I don’t know if they would house section hikers.

Gambit McCrae
04-06-2018, 07:59
There are a few locals that put up thru-hikers, but I don’t know if they would house section hikers.

Dang ol Dirty Ars Section Hikers they really got nerve thinkin they can do things like stay where thru hikers do and hike and stuff lol

mikewagus
04-06-2018, 08:08
I live vicariously thru "Trail Journals". :)

Odd Man Out
04-06-2018, 08:20
Dang ol Dirty Ars Section Hikers they really got nerve thinkin they can do things like stay where thru hikers do and hike and stuff lol

This is the perfect time to be a flip flop thru hiker starting NOBO in MD. So as far as I'm concerned, the OP is a "thru hiker". If he quits hiking a few days after Boiling Springs, he will be as successful as a large percentage of thru hikers. There is only difference between a thru and section hiker is their intention. So the easy solution to this problem is to lie.

Red Laces
04-06-2018, 09:32
I stayed at the Holly Inn in Mt Holly Springs when I went through Boiling Springs last year, they picked me up at the outfitters in town, reasonable rates. Decent restaurant and bar on site. Right next to it is a Laundromat and family dollar where re-supplied. Took me back to the trail in the morning. Knowing what I know now though, I'd walked the short distance on up to Carlisle, lots of options there for hotels.

windlion
04-06-2018, 15:09
Might be worth contacting the ATC office in Boiling Springs? When I stumped in there two years ago, they had a list of locals who were opening up lodging in the wake of the Allenberry's backing out. The Yellow Breeches Outfitters had a bulletin board, too. I stayed one night in Sean and Lisa McConnell's hiker hut.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
04-06-2018, 15:56
What ever you do, don't tent next to the RR tracks! In fact, get as far away as possible from there! As soon as you start to doze off, another freight train comes screeching by.

If you stay at James Fry shelter, the next day you can easily walk to one of the motels on US11. Probably get there mid afternoon.

mikewagus
04-06-2018, 16:22
I called Lisa at Buck Off Hostel and she is still open. Problem solved, thanks for info from everyone.

Coffee
04-06-2018, 23:38
The Allenberry seems like an odd place. It was totally deserted when I arrived on a rainy April night a few years ago. I ended up calling a shuttle listed in the AWOL guide who took me to a motel in Carlisle near where the AT crosses the highway. I didn't want to camp near the railway tracks in a soggy field in the rain, on that particular occasion.

Highland Goat
04-07-2018, 06:08
When I arrived at the Allenberry late on a rainy night, I also found it deserted. However, I wandered around and found the staff enjoying themselves in the bar, and they set me up with a room. It was the night that Hurricane Sandy was rolling over.

Shrewd
04-07-2018, 09:50
The spot by the tracks definitely sucks. A few of us stayed there because we resupplied in town; a guy saw us at the ATC and offered to drive us to a grocery store and back, which was awesome.

You could easily keep going north and stealth camp a few miles up. Or plan another 8 miles or so to the highway crossing and stop at a hotel.

After that you’re a day or so away from duncannon, as others have mentioned.

ldsailor
04-07-2018, 13:03
I went through Boiling Springs last year. Not much there, but there is the PO right on the trail if you want to send provisions in for pickup. If I were you, I would keep going and stay at the Days Inn in Carlisle. Super nice place and great rate for hikers. I stayed at the James Fry Shelter the night before and hiked 20 miles to the Days Inn. The hiking is easy in that area.

PilotB
04-07-2018, 21:38
Don’t count on Allenberry being open much longer. Rumor has it that the new owners, who have alienated hikers and fisherman alike, won’t be able to keep the doors open much longer. Boiling Springs tavern is A+ and there are plans to renovate some upper floors into lodging in the future.

Grampie
04-08-2018, 16:39
During my thru I camped at the area south of Boiling Springs. Not only did the several passing trains wake me up the area was heavely infected with ticks.

Crossup
04-08-2018, 23:16
I ended my hike at the James Fry(actually the TwistyTop was the pickup point) because I knew I didnt want to be forced to do 14 miles from the Boiling Springs Backpacker campground after a non sleeping night to Darlington Shelter. My impression was there were no places north of Boiling Spring for camping so one could avoid the trains preventing sleep.
Stealth camping is not a problem?

Shrewd
04-09-2018, 10:40
I ended my hike at the James Fry(actually the TwistyTop was the pickup point) because I knew I didnt want to be forced to do 14 miles from the Boiling Springs Backpacker campground after a non sleeping night to Darlington Shelter. My impression was there were no places north of Boiling Spring for camping so one could avoid the trains preventing sleep.
Stealth camping is not a problem?

It’s about 8 miles from there to the road crossing into Carlisle. Alot of those 8 miles is through or around fields (that may be privately owned). I’m sure you could make something work.

There’s a nice little spot just after the highway crossing on your right that would work just fine, also. I had lunch there and thought it as a great spot.

ki0eh
04-10-2018, 16:13
There is no legal camping between Darlington Shelter and Center Point Knob, other than the "midnight train" campsite. The corridor is narrow, houses abut it (a lot more now, than in the old roadwalk days), and some might even have the local park ranger's phone number.

I saw a mention in one of the posts above about "the road into Carlisle." Pretty much every road you cross from Tagg Run to Darlington goes into that 250+ year old shire town. Road wise it's 5 miles exactly from the center of Boiling Springs to the center square in Carlisle, out Forge Rd (the road the Karns food market is on), all out in full sun with traffic. If you're going to walk into town, the Petersburg Road that crosses the A.T. at Whiskey Spring is probably the most pleasant choice, but even nicer would be to find (Google Maps walking directions may help) the Letort Spring Run Trail and the series of still-back roads that would lead you from Whiskey Spring to it.

lonehiker
04-10-2018, 18:16
What ever you do, don't tent next to the RR tracks! In fact, get as far away as possible from there!

Probably the most miserable night's sleep I've ever had on a trail.

lonehiker
04-10-2018, 18:17
What ever you do, don't tent next to the RR tracks! In fact, get as far away as possible from there!

Probably the most miserable night's sleep I've ever had on a trail.

Kfried
04-10-2018, 23:04
Exactly! Hammocked right next to those tracks and kept waiting for the derailment :-( through the night