View Full Version : Visa question

04-09-2018, 09:15
Hi fellow foreigners,

I am planning a thru-hike next year. I know I need a visum to visit the US. As far as I know I only can get one for 6 month. I hope I will make it in this time but what if not? It takes some time to get to the southern terminus. Maybe acclimate 2 days runnig some errands .... And also getting of the trail from Katahdyn... Illness what so ever... Are there some Germans here in this forum who dealt with that? How did you guys handled it. Is there a way to get a 7 or 8 month visa?
any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated


Gambit McCrae
04-09-2018, 09:25
I believe you can request an extension: From the USCIS Website (https://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/extend-your-stay)

If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. Check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to determine the date your authorized stay expires. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.
You may apply to extend your stay if:

You were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa
You have not violated the conditions of your admission
Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay

You may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States in the following categories:

Visa Waiver Program
Crew member (D nonimmigrant visa)
In transit through the United States (C nonimmigrant visa)
In transit through the United States without a visa (TWOV)
FiancÚ of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiancÚ (K nonimmigrant visa)
Informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized crime (S nonimmigrant visa)

For information on how to apply, see the “How Do I: Guides for Nonimmigrants (http://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-customer-guides/how-do-i-guides-nonimmigrants/how-do-i-guides-nonimmigrants)”.

04-15-2018, 20:29
This won’t answer your question, but as a Canadian wanting to hike next year, I’ve had to do some homework.
I don’t require a visa to visit US, but I cannot stay beyond 182 days. I contacted U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP). They told me there is no easy way to extend my trip...even if it’s only a week.
I’ve also been told that when we cross into the US (Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan), and have the discussion with border agents why I’m coming to the US and why I’m staying for six months I have to demonstrate that I’m financially able to support myself while travelling, that I have travel insurance.
I guess why the red tape is to ensure I’m not going to somehow not return back to Canada or become a financial risk while in the US.
So us driving to Georgia from Canada unfortunately lops off 3-4 days off my maximum 182 days. Fortunately, should I make it to Katahdin, it’s only a few hours to New Brunswick.

04-15-2018, 22:05
Just some useful info. My AT thru-hike didn't require the full 6 months. You should be able to complete it within the 6 months, though an extension would be nice for post trip matters.