PDA

View Full Version : Campsites Shenandoah NP - north of Pass Mountain Hut

hildebrand1944
04-09-2018, 13:50
I just wondered if there is any campsites between Pass Mountain Hut and Elkwallow Wayside. My plan is to spend the night at Pass Mountain Hut but now I am thinking I would like to get another 5 miles in before I stop. With the crazy weather this year, I wonder what it will be like on the AT in mid May. So far it has not been an average year!:rolleyes:

Coffee
04-09-2018, 14:06
Check out the SNP trip guides at this link for clues regarding campsites, which are not marked on park maps but either alluded to or described in detail in the trip guides.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/backcountry-trips.htm

In particular take note of one of the guides detailing a proposed itinerary for the AT through SNP averaging 8 miles per day (necessitating campsites between shelters). The proposed Day 2 campsite is a backcountry site very close to Elkwallow near where the AT and the Jeremy's Run trail intersect.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_8_miles_per_day_A105-508.pdf

I would suggest also scoping out the area near where the AT and the Neighbor Mountain trail intersect just north of Beahms Gap where the AT crosses Skyline drive. There is a spring nearby that could be a water source.

Slo-go'en
04-09-2018, 17:32
That spring is only 0.2 from the Jeremy's run parking lot (and 7 miles from Pass Mt shelter). But if your going to find a place to tent along there, that's probably one of the only spots. Once you leave Pass Mt hut, you climb over Pass Mt, go down to the road and cross it, walk pretty much right next to the road for a ways, then climb back up to a narrow ridge. A stream and the spring are on the way down from the ridge.

The only places that looked camp-able to me were at the top of the climbs where it flattens out for a little bit. Otherwise your going up a hill or down a hill and at the bottom of the hill you cross the road. It was just so much easier to stay at the huts or campgrounds, which is what I'll do again in a few weeks.

Coffee
04-09-2018, 17:53
The other option is to be willing to venture a short distance on side trails. I recall a very nice campsite on the Neighbor Mountain trail that I *think* is just a mile or so from the AT junction (it has been many years). It is a dry campsite. Also, if one ventures a mile or so down there Jeremy's Run trail, there are definitely camping options. In SNP, many of the best camping options are slightly off the AT. Another one that comes to mind in a different area of the park is the Rose River, accessible via a short detour from Big Meadows without backtracking by completing the Rose River loop which reconnects to the AT. Also, Jones Run and Doyle River in the southern section of the park which can be hiked as an alternate to the AT.

SNP is one of the top things I miss about living in DC/Northern VA. Such a great park for hiking.

Kaptainkriz
04-09-2018, 18:22
When I went through there I had marked two legal sites, one at ~5.7 north of Pass Mt. Hut and one at ~6.0. No water there though, need to go the full 7 to Jeremy's Run for that as others have noted.

That spring is only 0.2 from the Jeremy's run parking lot (and 7 miles from Pass Mt shelter). But if your going to find a place to tent along there, that's probably one of the only spots. Once you leave Pass Mt hut, you climb over Pass Mt, go down to the road and cross it, walk pretty much right next to the road for a ways, then climb back up to a narrow ridge. A stream and the spring are on the way down from the ridge.

The only places that looked camp-able to me were at the top of the climbs where it flattens out for a little bit. Otherwise your going up a hill or down a hill and at the bottom of the hill you cross the road. It was just so much easier to stay at the huts or campgrounds, which is what I'll do again in a few weeks.

Odd Man Out
04-09-2018, 18:31
I camped just off the Jeremy run trail not far from the crossing with the AT. This is right behind the Elkwallow picnic area. There is a nice water source by that trail junction. Plus it's close enough to the wayside you could go there if it's open. The spot I camped at was quite obvious and had clearly been used before. Perhaps that is too far north for the OP. I hiked south from the to Pass Mtn Shelter very quickly the next morning so I don't recall if there were other sites. I recall that section being pretty easy. I got half my daily miles in before 10 AM. It took the rest of the day to get through the next 7 miles. Slowed down by a bear blocking the trail, the climb out of Thornton Gap, and two torrential Thunderstorms.

I also found a good camp site at the Crusher Ridge Trail junction (further south, close to Skyland). I had good luck near trail junctions when looking for camp sites.

Slo-go'en
04-09-2018, 19:38
When I went through there I had marked two legal sites, one at ~5.7 north of Pass Mt. Hut and one at ~6.0. No water there though, need to go the full 7 to Jeremy's Run for that as others have noted.

That would likely be the flat-ish area at the end of the ridge walk, just before the decent to Jeremy's Run which I saw on the topo map.

Kaptainkriz
04-09-2018, 21:09
Yes, a great flat easy trail conveyor belt... :D
If the OP were to go a few miles North of Elkwallow to Hogback, there is a great tent legal site and spring there too.

That would likely be the flat-ish area at the end of the ridge walk, just before the decent to Jeremy's Run which I saw on the topo map.

johnnybgood
04-10-2018, 12:32
Yes, a great flat easy trail conveyor belt... :D
If the OP were to go a few miles North of Elkwallow to Hogback, there is a great tent legal site and spring there too.
There's a leveled spot to pitch a tent behind a berm just after you cross the drive going north at Hogback Overlook near no 21. Also a great place to sit to watch the sunset and the lights in the valley below.

Odd Man Out
04-10-2018, 14:41
My hike was from Compton Gap south to Big Meadows (three days). Along the trail I would see good camping sites and made a mental note of these so I could post them later. Of course, I should have made a written note since I've now forgotten those places, except the places I camped. I will make a mental note to make written notes next time. Oops I did it again.