PDA

View Full Version : Trail magicians SEEK BUBBLES

wannabe88
04-10-2018, 18:29
I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. Trying to find info on how far south the bubbles r! Was thinking southern VA..anyone have info on where is good this early in the season? All responses appreciated

Malto
04-10-2018, 18:49
Do you have any particular state that you want to help with trail maintenance or will any do?

wannabe88
04-10-2018, 19:15
I can’t do maintenance. I just have couple days off between a job switch n wanted hook up some hikertrash

John B
04-10-2018, 19:20
The Red River Gorge Trail Crew meets on the second Saturday of every month. You can google to get the webpage and the US Forest Ranger, Stanton District, will send out notices 2 weeks in advance of where we're meeting. All are welcome, and maintenance usually goes from 9-4pm. There are several who drive down from Columbus, OH. You could come down on Friday, camp that night, work Saturday, drive back Sunday. It'd be great fun.
We clear brush, repair log bridges, and do pretty much anything the Ranger tells us needs to be done. He provides safety gear and all tools, too.

wannabe88
04-10-2018, 19:25
I would like to help out but I have to b back by Saturday night. I just wanted to shoot down n get back home. Tryin to see how far south I need to b to catch the hikers

egilbe
04-10-2018, 20:14
The trail is always there and always needs work. Doesnt matter where the hikers are.

Venchka
04-10-2018, 20:16
Stay home. Don’t waste any gasoline. Estimate your expenses and round up a bit. Send a check to a trail maintenance group.
Thanks!
Wayne

wannabe88
04-10-2018, 20:40
Well if all of y’all aren’t a sorry bunch of commies then idk what is. I specifically ask about doin some simple stuff it turns into work or stay home. I bet most of you think ur **** don’t stink too

tdoczi
04-10-2018, 20:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHs1XUF46YM

FrogLevel
04-10-2018, 22:55
Well if all of y’all aren’t a sorry bunch of commies then idk what is. I specifically ask about doin some simple stuff it turns into work or stay home. I bet most of you think ur **** don’t stink too

To be honest there's a lot of trail magic out there right now. I'd be shocked if most hikers in GA/NC/TN are going more than a few days without seeing some. Sometimes every day and in some locations 2 times a day. Its pretty saturated. There's going to be dozens and dozens of people crossing roads at every point from GA to central SW VA now. Its really busy in Hampton where I am. Just pick a crossing if you really want. You're going to meet hikers.

Why not call a hostel or two and pay for a few random hikers's stay? That would be pretty neat. Donating to local trail organizations like TEHCC is even better. They use unpaid labor and their own tools to keep the trial beautiful.

cliffordbarnabus
04-10-2018, 23:10
anywhere from nc to pa...you'll make people happy! and you'll do what ~you~ want to do. not what others here are trying to force you to do.

Venchka
04-10-2018, 23:29
anywhere from nc to pa...you'll make people happy! and you'll do what ~you~ want to do. not what others here are trying to force you to do.
Blasphemy! 👍😄😎
But seriously. There is a train of thought at WhiteBlaze that goes something like: Trail Magic is detrimental to the locations where folks set up their Magic. Trash may not be cleaned up. Parking can be scarce where dirt roads cross the trail. Etc.
Meanwhile, the real work of trail maintenance goes begging for lack of volunteers.
A quick search of WhiteBlaze for Trail Magic will yield both sides of the story.
Have fun with your Magic!
Wayne

BuckeyeBill
04-10-2018, 23:44
Wannabe88,

What you want to do can be viewed two different ways. One is from the hikers point of view in that most are great full for anything you may be offering. Another is that it leads to congestion to the point of causing damage to the area you set up in. You said you were in NE Ohio, which puts you in an area close to the Buckeye Trail (http://buckeyetrail.org/). It is a loop of Ohio around 1300+ miles. You could help out on a local trail a lot easier than traveling to meet the bubble of the AT. You are coming up on a busy time for the local trail clubs to do work weekends without traveling too far. What you want to do can be done close to home. Good luck.

cliffordbarnabus
04-10-2018, 23:49
i like to assume the best in people. therefore, i will assume wannabe88 (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/61881-wannabe88) is going to pull rabbits out of hats, and clean up before departure. and there will be hikers who will fondly remember wannabe88 (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/61881-wannabe88) and wannabe88 (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/61881-wannabe88) will fondly remember hikers. and all human interactions will be mutually beneficial.

egilbe
04-11-2018, 06:45
You know whats magical? Cleaned out water bars. Rock stair cases. Cut up blow downs. Brushed out trails. Bog bridges. Repaied erosion spots. You will be doing God’s work on the trail.

You know what isn’t magical? Feeding people on vacation.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2018, 06:54
there is no magic anymore. it's just feeds for folks that don't need feedin'

Uncle Joe
04-11-2018, 07:01
Freedom first. Go do your trail magic but please clean up when your done. Drop a check to the ATC or better yet which ever group maintains the section your going to. Not everyone can get out and do trail work, which is too bad but everyone can spare a few latte's to help fund the effort.

map man
04-11-2018, 08:20
To answer the question you asked, the middle of the bubble will be around Hot Springs NC this time of year, but if you set up somewhere between Damascus and Atkins VA you will catch the northern-most part of the bubble and there will be some NOBO thru-hikers passing by every day.

wannabe88
04-11-2018, 08:26
And thank u to those that aren’t recruiters

tdoczi
04-11-2018, 08:45
And thank u to those that aren’t recruiters

i dont think anyone was recruiting you.

if youre looking to be altruistic and give back to the community they are rightly suggesting better ways for you to do so. in a sense, thats assuming the best of your intentions.

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2018, 08:52
Looks like I am late and my popcorn is cold

gpburdelljr
04-11-2018, 09:45
What is a “trail magician”? I’ve met trail angels, but never a trail magician.

egilbe
04-11-2018, 09:46
I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. All responses appreciated
Apparently not. Why don't you just say you want to.put on a hiker feed?

Uncle Joe
04-11-2018, 10:12
Bitter bitterer bitterest it’s like dam competition for sandiest vag in here. I get u guys put in hard work n don’t have nearly enough workers but that ain’t no excuse to just talk **** on a simple forum question. I’m tryin make some people happy the way i was made happy when I did it. Keep measuring your dicks tho u guys r good at it
I wouldn't assume that anyone commenting puts in any work. That's not to say they don't, I just wouldn't assume they do.

Malto
04-11-2018, 10:45
I don't think anyone is bitter at all. Yes, many hikers would love to have ice cream at some random Trailhead. But, if you have ever hiked a trail that is not maintained then popped out on maintained trail you would find that very magical.

It sounds like you want to bring treats to people on vacation. You could just setup a table outside of cedar point and serve that purpose, much closer to your house. Better yet, feed the homeless right there in Cleveland, they need it much more than people that choose to do a multi-month vacation.

I am thinking about going to the Bahamas and buying free drinks for everyone on vacation. I am doing something magical, not. This is no different except to those getting free drinks.

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2018, 10:52
I wouldn't assume that anyone commenting puts in any work. That's not to say they don't, I just wouldn't assume they do.

I have put in zero work. Not ashamed, life is young. Its on the list with minimal priority at the moment. One of my best excuses is: I wouldn't know where to start.

Kinda surprised Admin hasn't shut thread down and booted ol wannabe...Come on man clean it up a little ya filthy animal

MuddyWaters
04-11-2018, 10:54
I don't think anyone is bitter at all. Yes, many hikers would love to have ice cream at some random Trailhead. But, if you have ever hiked a trail that is not maintained then popped out on maintained trail you would find that very magical.

++

To heck with food. Clean trail that allows you to take natural steps is better than sex..almost.

ldsailor
04-11-2018, 11:13
I realize the program is to keep the trail clear of blow downs and make hiking easier with log or stone steps, and I appreciate the work that goes into it. Nevertheless, I always get a little excited when I come to a big tree trunk in the middle of the trail. It provides a challenge different than going up and down all day.

As for the OP, geez! The guy asked a simple question and got skewered. Not very welcoming. He's only posted 17 times and is probably not aware of the raging debate on the forum about hiker feeds. Cut him some slack.

CalebJ
04-11-2018, 11:26
Honestly, the response to his post seemed pretty tame compared to the things he said afterward.

Puddlefish
04-11-2018, 11:32
Edit: The mods might want to clean up Wannabe88s offensive post.

Sarcasm the elf
04-11-2018, 11:34
As for the OP, geez! The guy asked a simple question and got skewered. Not very welcoming. He's only posted 17 times and is probably not aware of the raging debate on the forum about hiker feeds. Cut him some slack.
Seriously. I’m not a fan if hiker feeds, but the OP did ask a fairly simple question. From what I gathered it sounds like a former thru or LD hiker that just wants to reconnect with this year’s class for a few hours, nothing wrong with that.

soilman
04-11-2018, 11:52
I have to admit that I don't understand the motivation of the OP. It sounds like he may have done a thru hike last year and is looking to pay back some of the free meals he received. If that is the case why does he not have a handle on where the bubble is? With a little work one can get an idea where the hikers are. Why did he wait until a day before he is planning on driving 7-10 hours one way to ask for advice? And if he has spent any time at all on this site he shouldn't have been surprised by the reaction to his post.

Traveler
04-11-2018, 12:09
Apparently "all replies are appreciated" is not true.

As for as being "commies" (a quaint term not heard much since the 60's) I don't believe many in this forum are "commies", they are never at any of the meetings.

rocketsocks
04-11-2018, 12:53
...no you don’t understand, bubbles is a dog! :D

BuckeyeBill
04-11-2018, 12:55
I knew a stripper named Bubbles

tdoczi
04-11-2018, 13:11
I knew a stripper named Bubbles
did NO one watch the video i linked to?

rocketsocks
04-11-2018, 13:14
did NO one watch the video i linked to?i cannot tell a lie :D

Just Bill
04-11-2018, 13:33
What I find humorous;
'Magician' is a derogatory term that originated at WB as far as I know.

Having started a thread kindly asking folks to redirect would be magicians to doing trail work... my thoughts are known.
Giving back is an unselfish act; true magic. If you ain't got time- send money. If you ain't got money- send time. If you ain't got either- then vote.

But we're all human...
If a hiker wants to reconnect... nothing wrong with swinging into a town like Hot Springs and heading over to the Spring Creek Tavern.
Nice place for a former hiker with a few bucks to spare to head in and buy a few rounds.
Might even find yourself strolling back to the hot springs campground and sharing a few beers with hikers around the fire.
Might even find that just for an evening you're right back on trail under the stars sharing the fire with yer brand new oldest and dearest friends... for the night at least.

And come morning; connections, warm fuzzies, and mild headaches are yours to keep without impacting the trail.

And best of all... you get to actually slow down, form a connection, and truly visit with the people hiking the trail.
Hard to do that when you're one among many handing off a minor treat to a passerby like some aide station worker at a marathon.

So if'n yer character requires a bit of perfectly human unselfishness... keep it off the trail and hit up a bar.
If'n you don't like drinking... paying for spots at a hostel, hitting the all you can eat buffet and paying the tab are two nice ways to help out a fellow human and reminisce fer a time.

And if you are worried you might strike out and miss the hikers; guess that's how it was meant to work out.
Fer me at least... seems when my heart is in the right place so am I.

Last Call
04-11-2018, 21:37
The way the trail is nowadays, I don't see how you can thru-hike without some trail magic here and there....many hikers have come to depend on it to lower their pack weight, and thru-hikers are very deserving of it. What is disappointing is coming upon a feed and they have only generic soft drinks, I would recommend only Pepsi or Coca-Cola products, and water (icy cold) of course....

kestral
04-11-2018, 21:39
Have fun helping out and reliving your hike experience. So many on the trail I’m sure you will find thankful hikers.

some helpful things instead of just a feed? Perhaps this would be a good thread. Off the top of my head I would list

blister station with leukotape, moleskin, liner socks, ect
trash drop off bag so hikers can drop off extra weight without guilt of littering
q tip, maybe 6 in a little snack baggie
refill of hand sanitizer, TP, toothpaste, camp soap, other hygiene products
trash compactor or turkey bake bags to keep those dry things dry
sheets of polycro for groundsheet or to use as sit pads to keep your butt dry
large safety pins ( I’m always finding socks, sandals, shirts that seem to have fallen off packs)
clean, filtered water to refill a water bottle
a quickie shower or shampoo station with privacy curtain, soap and shampoo if you can find a spot that won’t pollute water source
a warm foot bath
live bluegrass music (well ok, but I like it)
for food, I’ve met many who crave fresh crisp fruits and veggies

any other thoughts?

Seatbelt
04-12-2018, 08:02
The way the trail is nowadays, I don't see how you can thru-hike without some trail magic here and there....many hikers have come to depend on it to lower their pack weight, and thru-hikers are very deserving of it. What is disappointing is coming upon a feed and they have only generic soft drinks, I would recommend only Pepsi or Coca-Cola products, and water (icy cold) of course....
Can somebody please explain why thru-hikers are "very deserving of it" and also the "disappointment" upon finding only drinks you don't like? I guess there is a lot that I don't understand. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. It just seems like receiving trail magic(or hiker feeds or ??) are viewed as merit badges or praise or Gold Stars?? The saying goes: Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. It is now "looked for" and almost expected at nearly every road crossing. I have been following several trail journals and have seen this being written down along with the disappointment of not finding any "magic" when it is expected.

gracebowen
04-12-2018, 08:45
A chair to sit in. I have a feeling I would appreciate that very much. I just did a weekend trip and a sit pad on a rock is not very comfortable.

CalebJ
04-12-2018, 08:45
Can somebody please explain why thru-hikers are "very deserving of it" and also the "disappointment" upon finding only drinks you don't like? I guess there is a lot that I don't understand. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. It just seems like receiving trail magic(or hiker feeds or ??) are viewed as merit badges or praise or Gold Stars?? The saying goes: Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. It is now "looked for" and almost expected at nearly every road crossing. I have been following several trail journals and have seen this being written down along with the disappointment of not finding any "magic" when it is expected.
I may have misread, but my interpretation was that Last Call's tongue was firmly in cheek for that post.

Seatbelt
04-12-2018, 08:50
I may have misread, but my interpretation was that Last Call's tongue was firmly in cheek for that post.
You could very well be correct. If so, I apologize to Last Call, however, I still contend that there seems to be many expectations of trail magic, which to me removes the "magic".

MuddyWaters
04-12-2018, 09:58
I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. Trying to find info on how far south the bubbles r! Was thinking southern VA..anyone have info on where is good this early in the season? All responses appreciated

The bubble is currently about 500 miles long and will be almost 700 miles long by the by the time the tail of it finishes starting. If you can't find it I really don't know what to say

glenlawson
04-12-2018, 11:43
you may already be on the road and miss this, but head south of Shenandoah and you'll find hikers. The simplest can be be best. Find a road crossing that is 5 to 10 miles from town and give a few folks a ride to town and back. Some of the best magic is a clean shelter. Hike in to 2 or 3 shelters with a new broom and pack out the trash. A can of mountain dew is great, but a clean shelter is heaven.

BuckeyeBill
04-12-2018, 13:09
Last Call's comment may have been a joke, but you can never tell nowadays. We have discussed the attitude if "entitled hikers", (Last call believe me I am not calling you one), and how they think they should find "trail magic" at least once a daily if not more. Also some people think that they have to have the name brand products, but if they new the truth, 98% of all store brand products are just relabeled name brand products. No difference in production process. The only thing that can not be changed in this manner is beer and liquors due to federal and state regulations.

Kestral listed some good ideas for a different style of trail magic. I use horse blanket safety pins to secure things like sandals, socks etc as they are big enough to hold a loy of things individually.