PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Hightower Gap

hiking_tiger
02-13-2006, 16:50
I'm going to be heading over to see a friend off on their thru-hike (mid-April), but personally I can only go as far as Hightower Gap. I'd like to leave my car there and get a ride back to Amicalola, so I have three questions.

(1) Is it safe to leave a car at Hightower Gap for a couple of days? I've read where Three Forks is NOT a good place to leave a car.

(2) What's the best way to get there? I'll be coming from the west side (probably through Ellijay) but wasn't sure if it was easier to come in from that side or come in from the east.

(3) Do I need a high clearance vehicle or will my Focus make it down these roads?

Thanks for the help.

bigmac_in
02-13-2006, 16:57
I'm going to be heading over to see a friend off on their thru-hike (mid-April), but personally I can only go as far as Hightower Gap. I'd like to leave my car there and get a ride back to Amicalola, so I have three questions.

(1) Is it safe to leave a car at Hightower Gap for a couple of days? I've read where Three Forks is NOT a good place to leave a car.

(2) What's the best way to get there? I'll be coming from the west side (probably through Ellijay) but wasn't sure if it was easier to come in from that side or come in from the east.

(3) Do I need a high clearance vehicle or will my Focus make it down these roads?

Thanks for the help.

I did a section hike through there last fall. I believe there were three cars parked there. Not much room for many more, so that might be a problem. It didn't seem like the best place to park to me, since it was on a curve and not much parking. Whether it or not it was safe from vandals and such, I don't know. If it was me, I would get a shuttle back to Amicalola.

You can make it through USFS42 in a car, but it is ROUGH in places - be careful.

RockyTrail
02-13-2006, 17:53
I did a section hike through there last fall. I believe there were three cars parked there. Not much room for many more, so that might be a problem. It didn't seem like the best place to park to me, since it was on a curve and not much parking. Whether it or not it was safe from vandals and such, I don't know. If it was me, I would get a shuttle back to Amicalola.

You can make it through USFS42 in a car, but it is ROUGH in places - be careful.

Are you sure it was Hightower Gap? The 3-way intersection there is big enough to turn around 360 degrees even in a big truck. There is a little pulloff spot in the N corner where maybe 3-4 cars could park, but I've seen many along the road itself, it's plenty wide.

The first time I drove to this gap it was 11:30 at night, raining, and fog so thick you could only see about 5-10 feet ahead. When I got to Hightower it widened out way farther than I could see and I was feeling my way along the edge of the gravel until I came all the way around again! But that was my little old beater car that has since died (in fact I lost the clutch going up Springer last year), your experience may vary!:)

US42 is well-traveled, graveled and classified as "all-weather", there are a lot worse FS roads out there. I see relatively low-clearance cars on it frequently (I had an olds Firenza and it never was an issue). There are a few dips and rocks, just try not to straddle the tall ones and you should be fine.
Don't know about safety, but have parked up to three days there no problem. It's a long way from paved roads, vandals are usually lazy (I think)...

bigmac_in
02-13-2006, 19:13
Are you sure it was Hightower Gap? The 3-way intersection there is big enough to turn around 360 degrees even in a big truck. There is a little pulloff spot in the N corner where maybe 3-4 cars could park, but I've seen many along the road itself, it's plenty wide.

The first time I drove to this gap it was 11:30 at night, raining, and fog so thick you could only see about 5-10 feet ahead. When I got to Hightower it widened out way farther than I could see and I was feeling my way along the edge of the gravel until I came all the way around again! But that was my little old beater car that has since died (in fact I lost the clutch going up Springer last year), your experience may vary!:)

US42 is well-traveled, graveled and classified as "all-weather", there are a lot worse FS roads out there. I see relatively low-clearance cars on it frequently (I had an olds Firenza and it never was an issue). There are a few dips and rocks, just try not to straddle the tall ones and you should be fine.
Don't know about safety, but have parked up to three days there no problem. It's a long way from paved roads, vandals are usually lazy (I think)...

You're right - it is wide there, but what I meant was no real parking space - mainly only along the road, except where you mentioned on the N side. I guess I prefer someplace to pull entirely off the road - I don't trust other drivers. To each their own. It did look like a couple cars had been there a few days, so it is probably relatively safe.

02-17-2006, 22:32

Thanks for the help.

I would say it is perfectly safe. I have never seen or heard of a car having any problems. the parking hols about 4 cars that will be completely off the road.

Your best route in will be coming out of Dahlonega up from the Ranger Camp on 80 to 42. This will be doublely true if in a smal car. In a car you will have little problems if yu keep it slow (20 mph or less)

Dances with Mice
02-17-2006, 23:18

(3) Do I need a high clearance vehicle or will my Focus make it down these roads? I was TRYING to leave a car at Hightower for a couple of days last weekend, but 42 was iced over and I didn't get there. In better conditions I've driven there in a Saturn with no problem.

So what - and where - did you read about Three Forks? I've parked in that area quite a bit, there's maybe even more traffic there than at Hightower from all the trout fishermen working the creek. If you can find the cutoff road to Hickory Flats Cemetery, that's another great place to park.

I second Profile's comments. The Cooper Gap Road up from the Ranger Camp has been recently resurfaced and isn't in bad shape at all. Easy drive.

hiking_tiger
02-21-2006, 16:18
So what - and where - did you read about Three Forks? I've parked in that area quite a bit, there's maybe even more traffic there than at Hightower from all the trout fishermen working the creek. If you can find the cutoff road to Hickory Flats Cemetery, that's another great place to park.

I believe it was on backpacker.com a few folks mentioned having trouble with local hunters who were anti-backpacker types.

hiking_tiger
02-21-2006, 16:29
Your best route in will be coming out of Dahlonega up from the Ranger Camp on 80 to 42. This will be doublely true if in a smal car. In a car you will have little problems if yu keep it slow (20 mph or less)

Hwy 80 or 60? Or is 80 a F.S. Rd.?

max patch
02-21-2006, 16:35
Hwy 80 or 60? Or is 80 a F.S. Rd.?

Yes, 80 is a forest service road (which was in the best shape I've ever seen it in around Christmas).

bigmac_in
02-21-2006, 17:00
Here is a picture of Cooper Gap looking down USFS 42, 80 crosses left to right.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9161&c=500&userid=6665

There is good parking at this spot - watch for truckloads of army rangers. A truckload came over the hill while we were resting there (yes, those are a tired BigMac's knees in the picture) and put a little scare into us, since there was a gun aimed over the top of the truck.

Several people pulled up and parked at this spot, including a couple locals out for day hikes.

Mountain Man
02-22-2006, 19:33
Coming in from Dahlonaga is a good way but it will save you some time since your coming from Alabama and through Ellijay if you'll take Hwy.52 east to Roy Rd. turn left (Store there) go till you run into Doubelhead gap Rd. and turn right. A few miles up the Rd. you'll see a church on left. Straight across is FS42 after you pass the parking lot where the trail comes down from Springer, Hightower gap is 4 or 5 miles still on FS42. I've tried several ways and this is the best coming from Ellijay. Your car should't have any problem unless of course there is ice. One place is about as safe as the other. I've parked at about all the spots around there for days at a time without a problem.