PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a razor-sharp knife

John B
04-11-2018, 12:28
Some years ago, Sgt. Rock posted that a dull knife was more dangerous than a sharp one. After some thought and practical application, I think he was right.

I carry an ultra light folding lock-out knife with a 3" blade. I've become rather obsessive with keeping it as sharp as I can make it.

Here's a decent instructional video on knife sharpening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=229&v=GtatnyLz8YM

I use a Kamikoto 1000/3000 stone, available on Amazon for about $35.

rocketsocks
04-11-2018, 12:56
Don’t get to attached to your cutlery...coming to a Country near you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-42749089

MuddyWaters
04-11-2018, 16:41
If you have a good knife, use a jig that holds blade at proper angle to sharpen. If you dont, your just ruining your blade.

The sharpest most knives ever are, is day they are bought.

Cheyou
04-11-2018, 17:15
If you have a good knife, use a jig that holds blade at proper angle to sharpen. If you dont, your just ruining your blade.

That’s silly .

Thom

rocketsocks
04-11-2018, 17:31

That’s silly .

Thom

Sustainable edge, yup! Gotta use a gig.

MuddyWaters
04-11-2018, 18:38
That’s silly .

Thom

Nope.

By hand you ruin bevel and round it over because you cant maintain the right angle like machine can.

blw2
04-11-2018, 20:17
back when I was a teenager and a hunter, I used to sharpen my knives just for something to do, while watching tv and such....I'd strop them on the back of an old leather belt. Those suckers were way sharper than when they were new, would shave my arm with them....

...and that old saying about a sharp knife being a safe knife..... from 1st hand experience I do not agree.

TexasBob
04-11-2018, 21:16
Nope.....By hand you ruin bevel and round it over because you cant maintain the right angle like machine can. I worked in restaurants for years when I was younger and the chefs who used a knife all day and keep them razor sharp, sharpened their knifes by hand on a stone and never used any jig.

Uncle Joe
04-11-2018, 21:48
I've had good luck with Spyderco's sharpening system. To be good with a stone takes practice and I get why people not only do it but prefer it. I'm not sure I'd ever put that kinda time in it so the Spyderco is a nice alternative.

MuddyWaters
04-11-2018, 22:23
I worked in restaurants for years when I was younger and the chefs who used a knife all day and keep them razor sharp, sharpened their knifes by hand on a stone and never used any jig.

Kitchen knives are totally different
Use a steel that rips the fine metal edge, of a thin blade, leaving micro serrated edge. Cuts food good , but dulls quickly. Which is why sharpen frequently.

Good tool knives have harder blades,thicker blades less bevel to create a more durable edge.

LittleTim
04-11-2018, 22:44
I worked in restaurants for years when I was younger and the chefs who used a knife all day and keep them razor sharp, sharpened their knifes by hand on a stone and never used any jig.

As one whom is still in the industry, has been for just over 2 decades, I'll say that a quarter of the guys keep them relatively sharp, over half keep them barely usably sharp, and the rest are divided into razor sharp and stupidly dull, depending on the caliber of establishment/team your discussing.

My definition of relatively sharp is miles ahead of what most homes have in their inventory though, so grading on a curve here too. Most straight blade disposable razors are not what I would even qualify as razor sharp. Razor sharp is a thing of great beauty, reserved for scalpels , slicing knives, carving knives and sushi knives. And is rarely seen.

If you're free handing steel on stone at least once a week, you'll eventually get good enough to consistently get a relatively sharp edge. To get razor, either use a jig or have an uncompromising dedication to perfection. I personally use a jig (Lansky system that is 17 years old now, on 3rd set of stones). It yields a mirror polished bevel finish that is good for about 10 prime ribs on a carving station without any refreshing, and with the established bevel angle it refreshes with only a stroke of a diamond impregnated steel.

Night Train
04-11-2018, 22:47
Thanks for sharing.

LittleTim
04-11-2018, 22:52
Kitchen knives are totally different
Use a steel that rips the fine metal edge, of a thin blade, leaving micro serrated edge. Cuts food good , but dulls quickly. Which is why sharpen frequently.

Good tool knives have harder blades,thicker blades less bevel to create a more durable edge.

Completely agree, mostly.
Every steel has its own characteristics. My workhorse knife is a caphelon. No very prestigious, but it holds a decent edge for a decent amount of time and is decently affordable to replace every 2 years. I have plenty of nicer knives that serve more specific purposes, but a good steel can have more utility than my 120 layer Damascus sakuko style chefs knife (that's a beauty, but who drives a corvette to deliver pizzas?).

Leo L.
04-12-2018, 04:51
When visiting my Bedouin friends in the Middle East desert recently, I decided to bring them each a Swiss Army knife, knowing they are totally crazy about knifes, and need a good one for their daily chores for group cooking anyway.
Then I remembered all the sad encounters I had watching them how they (mis)use and (not) take care for their knifes, the worst being they sometimes use a flat stone as a cutboard.
So I decided to add a nice wooden cutboard each (which I'm famous for making myself) - and that hit the nail!
Proudly dangling the cutboard on a biner off the pack, and the Swiss Knife in the pocked, they marched away.

Conclusion:
Its not only about sharpening the knife in the first hand, but much more about keeping it well, clean and sharp throughout the hike.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2018, 07:12
When visiting my Bedouin friends in the Middle East desert recently, I decided to bring them each a Swiss Army knife, knowing they are totally crazy about knifes, and need a good one for their daily chores for group cooking anyway.
Then I remembered all the sad encounters I had watching them how they (mis)use and (not) take care for their knifes, the worst being they sometimes use a flat stone as a cutboard.
So I decided to add a nice wooden cutboard each (which I'm famous for making myself) - and that hit the nail!
Proudly dangling the cutboard on a biner off the pack, and the Swiss Knife in the pocked, they marched away.

Conclusion:
Its not only about sharpening the knife in the first hand, but much more about keeping it well, clean and sharp throughout the hike.

Yep,
Ive got several bedouin knives
Crude but beautiful at same time, and unique

Leo L.
04-12-2018, 08:47
Great piece of art.
In lack of the right name for it, I'd call this a "ceremonial knife".
It's worn on the front tuck into the cummerbund, clearly visible, and its scabbard usually has a bent-upwards tip.
The less bent (so, the more straight), the higher is the social level of the owner.
Its common in places like Jemen (currently a failed state you wouldn't want to travel).

In areas I'm usually visiting (Sinai/Egypt) I've never seen such. People there are really poor and hardly ever have anything better than a half-broken kitchen knife.
Same with shoes, I was wondering for years why the Bedouins down there seem to be so fond of hiking in half-broken sandals, until I realized that they can't buy shoes (and if they couls, they couldn't afford them).
Needless to say that now at every trip down there my pack is stuffed full with shoes.

John B
04-12-2018, 09:05
Here's another pretty decent video on how to maintain an edge on an already decently sharpened knife. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPQ-D_7-mk

He doesn't use a jig, and if you're curious why there's some good articles about it on Knifeplanet.net and other similar sites , but in general the argument is that the main benefit of a jig -- a fixed angle -- is also its detriment. Many like to change the angle as you move toward the heel or point. Still, if it works for you and you're happy, then great.

Tons of great demo videos on YouTube -- some use oil, some use circular motions, etc.

As with any gear, probably a good idea to try a variety of methods until you find one that suits you the best.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2018, 09:11
Great piece of art.
In lack of the right name for it, I'd call this a "ceremonial knife".
It's worn on the front tuck into the cummerbund, clearly visible, and its scabbard usually has a bent-upwards tip.
The less bent (so, the more straight), the higher is the social level of the owner.
Its common in places like Jemen (currently a failed state you wouldn't want to travel).

In areas I'm usually visiting (Sinai/Egypt) I've never seen such. People there are really poor and hardly ever have anything better than a half-broken kitchen knife.
Same with shoes, I was wondering for years why the Bedouins down there seem to be so fond of hiking in half-broken sandals, until I realized that they can't buy shoes (and if they couls, they couldn't afford them).
Needless to say that now at every trip down there my pack is stuffed full with shoes.
this one is a jordanian. More of a narrower dagger shape than the traditional jordanian bedouin knife, which has a similar blade but wider and heavier.
they are made from whatever materials bedouin can get historically. Scrap metal, wood , bone, or such for handles and scabbard, covered in brass /white brass or even silver, and soldered . Then handworked detail into metal covering. The bedouin guard wear them on belt in front.

http://notwithoutmypassport.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/guard-petra.jpg

Most knives of generic arabic design you see are low quality tourist knives made in factories in damascus and sold through middle east. But if you search around you can find small shops where the maker does custom and usually always signs his blade.

Antques under glass in museum:

Sarcasm the elf
04-12-2018, 09:27
Don’t get to attached to your cutlery...coming to a Country near you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-42749089

rocketsocks
04-12-2018, 12:18
:D
For full effect it needs an Edwardo Sissorhand

gpburdelljr
04-12-2018, 12:35

You don’t need a jig if you have some skill.

perdidochas
04-12-2018, 15:49
back when I was a teenager and a hunter, I used to sharpen my knives just for something to do, while watching tv and such....I'd strop them on the back of an old leather belt. Those suckers were way sharper than when they were new, would shave my arm with them....

...and that old saying about a sharp knife being a safe knife..... from 1st hand experience I do not agree.

Well, the wounds from sharp knives heal better than the woulds from duller knives.

gpburdelljr
04-12-2018, 16:34
Well, the wounds from sharp knives heal better than the woulds from duller knives.

The sharpest blades of all are made from obsidian, and some surgeons use obsidian scalpels. A quote from the following article:

“Under the microscope, you could see the obsidian scalpel had divided individual cells in half, and next to it, the steel scalpel incision looked like it had been made by a chainsaw.”

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/health/surgery-scalpels-obsidian/index.html

GaryM
04-12-2018, 16:58
For hiking I carry a tiny Gerber Dime microtool. Small and light and since I really doubt I will be getting into a knife fight I am happy with it.
Seriously, what will I need to cut? Some rope or string?

MuddyWaters
04-12-2018, 17:24
For hiking I carry a tiny Gerber Dime microtool. Small and light and since I really doubt I will be getting into a knife fight I am happy with it.
Seriously, what will I need to cut? Some rope or string?
More likely defective mountain house bag with no tear slot.

At least thats all ive ever cut

rocketsocks
04-12-2018, 17:31
The sharpest blades of all are made from obsidian, and some surgeons use obsidian scalpels. A quote from the following article:

“Under the microscope, you could see the obsidian scalpel had divided individual cells in half, and next to it, the steel scalpel incision looked like it had been made by a chainsaw.”

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/health/surgery-scalpels-obsidian/index.html

natures atomic jig...the concoildal fracture

OCDave
04-12-2018, 17:33

Sounds like someone ran into a successful jig salesman.

bikebum1975
04-12-2018, 17:57

Yeah not true there. I've been freehand sharpening my knives since my grandpa showed me when I was a kid. Be would up you on one with sharpening knives he only had one hand at that never used a jig a day in his life. I also know plenty of pro knife makers personal friends they don't use jigs either, they are some of the sharpest blades I've ever seen

Davem
06-10-2018, 20:53
I’ve spent a lifetime in restaurants, most often when people are cut it was with a dull knife. Usually only an amateur cook has dull knives.

nate.2346
06-18-2018, 20:39
As one whom is still in the industry, has been for just over 2 decades, I'll say that a quarter of the guys keep them relatively sharp, over half keep them barely usably sharp, and the rest are divided into razor sharp and stupidly dull, depending on the caliber of establishment/team your discussing.

My definition of relatively sharp is miles ahead of what most homes have in their inventory though, so grading on a curve here too. Most straight blade disposable razors are not what I would even qualify as razor sharp. Razor sharp is a thing of great beauty, reserved for scalpels , slicing knives, carving knives and sushi knives. And is rarely seen.

If you're free handing steel on stone at least once a week, you'll eventually get good enough to consistently get a relatively sharp edge. To get razor, either use a jig or have an uncompromising dedication to perfection. I personally use a jig (Lansky system that is 17 years old now, on 3rd set of stones). It yields a mirror polished bevel finish that is good for about 10 prime ribs on a carving station without any refreshing, and with the established bevel angle it refreshes with only a stroke of a diamond impregnated steel.
Totally agree