PDA

View Full Version : Water source at the AT / Grassy Ridge trail junction (Roan Highlands)?

johnacraft
04-11-2018, 13:37
David Miller's AT guide shows a water source on the line for MP380.4 NOBO, where it marks the side trail to Grassy Ridge bald. Can anyone here give me a bit more detail about where this source is? I wasn't looking for water the last time I hiked through here, but I don't recall seeing a source at the trail junction.

Or maybe I am misinterpreting the entry, and the source is somewhere on the side trail itself?

I do remember seeing a piped spring a short distance trail north of the junction (I assume it's the MP380.6 entry).

Thanks for any help.

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2018, 14:11
It is up over mm 380.4, I think it could be the same run off but a little higher up the hill

devoidapop
04-11-2018, 14:17
If it's where I'm thinking, a little ways after the side trail to Grassy Ridge, it's a spring that crosses the trail but I didn't see a good place to collect water there.

johnacraft
04-12-2018, 13:27
Thanks for your thoughts. In the Overmountain Trail thread, Patman mentioned installing a pipe at a spring on the Grassy Ridge summit (beyond the plaque) - this is probably what the guide refers to.

TNhiker
04-12-2018, 13:37
yeah.....if you take the grassy ridge side trail----go on that for a bit (like less than a mile) and there's a clearing.....

to the left side, theres a small trail that goes down to that spring that Patman refers to.....

FrogLevel
04-12-2018, 21:54
If it's where I'm thinking, a little ways after the side trail to Grassy Ridge, it's a spring that crosses the trail but I didn't see a good place to collect water there.
I think that's a different spring than he's talking about but you are right, too. There's one very near that left turn you make to stay on the AT. Its almost always flowing, albeit slowly. I use rhododendron leaves to funnel the water. If its dry the one at Yellow Gap is reliable year round.

Captain Blue
04-12-2018, 22:15
The guide is correct. I hiked this section four times last year. There are at least two springs there. Going north, once you pass the Grassy Ridge side trail to the right, the AT descends into the trees. The trail levels out and you encouter springs running across the trail. The best spring is not the first spring. Continue further on to the piped spring near a large rock in the trail. All of the springs are in a stretch that is less than 100 yards long. You can't miss it.

johnacraft
04-13-2018, 10:29
Thanks everyone.

I'd like to copy Patman's post here for completeness:

Also if you haven't been, follow Grassy Ridge all the way out to the saddle beyond the summit plaque. The path appears to end at the obvious wide grassy saddle, but if you follow on the right side (somewhat south) it continues through the Rhodo and has many outstanding rocky spots to explore and enjoy. From the saddle there is also a path on the left that descends to a pretty reliable spring ( i installed a pipe a few years ago but who knows if it remains).