PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Get Together

Pickles
02-13-2006, 17:45
North Texas folks. Anyone interested in meeting on Saturday March 11th at the Cedar Ridge Preserve (formerly the Dallas Nature Center) off Mountain Creek Parkway in very south Dallas? 10:00 AM? You take I-20 to exit 458 Mountain Creek Parkway and go south for about 5 minutes through the new housing developments and then up the hill. Just after the Recreation Center, turn right into the parking lot. There are trails of various lengths and difficulty. There are nice restrooms and drinking fountains. Dogs on leads are welcome.
http://www.audubondallas.org/cedarridge.html

Disney
02-13-2006, 17:55
I think that sounds great. I've never been there before.

txulrich
02-13-2006, 18:28
What have you got in mind?? Are there grills available? Can we burn something for lunch? ;)

Pickles
02-14-2006, 09:38
No grills but there are picnic tables. I'll check to see if we can bring stoves. My thought is that we can put names to faces and hike at one of the few places in this area with any sort of challenging terrain dedicated to hiking only (no bicycles). I'm surprised at the number of people who live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who are not familiar with the Nature Center. It will also give newbies to long distance hiking a chance to network face to face with those who are more seasoned.

Judy

txulrich
02-14-2006, 09:44
No grills but there are picnic tables. I'll check to see if we can bring stoves. My thought is that we can put names to faces and hike at one of the few places in this area with any sort of challenging terrain dedicated to hiking only (no bicycles). I'm surprised at the number of people who live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who are not familiar with the Nature Center. It will also give newbies to long distance hiking a chance to network face to face with those who are more seasoned.

Judy

The only time I get down to that side of town is when I go to Camp Wisdom (Scout Camp). I actually live in Carrollton and only for a couple of years at that. I'm one of those Damn Yankees. Everyone knows what a Yankee is. One who lives up North and comes South for the winter. A Damn Yankee is one who didn't know enough to go home!!:D

Pickles
02-14-2006, 09:56
A fellow Yankee would never call you a Damned Yankee.
It's not that we don't know enough to go home... There's got to be something that keeps us here, like jobs, for instance. It's certainly not Texas hospitality or the lush green scenery.

JimSproul
02-14-2006, 10:13
Sounds good to me.

Txulrich, I am from Coppell. One of my favorite training hike is through MacGinness Park in Carrollton, them up the tracks to Addison. About 10 miles, 8 uphill with rocks that will get your ankles and feet in shape.

Also a Yankee, but after 30 years who remembers?

MtnBikerGuy
02-14-2006, 11:27
Good to see a bunch of people from the Dallas area here. The hike sounds good, but I will be out of town in Taos, NM. I will look for the next get together.

Also, being a transplant my self, I always tell Texans that call me a Yankee that there are two types of people in the world....Yankee's and Yankers. Proud Yankee here!

txulrich
02-14-2006, 11:38
OK, ok, I surrender on the yankee thing. Soooo, where are all you transplants from originally. I grew up in SE Michigan, went to school in central Ohio, and spent 20+ years in Western NY. Finally wised up in '03 and moved here to find work.

txulrich
02-14-2006, 11:41
Sounds good to me.

Txulrich, I am from Coppell. One of my favorite training hike is through MacGinness Park in Carrollton, them up the tracks to Addison. About 10 miles, 8 uphill with rocks that will get your ankles and feet in shape.

Jim,

My sister lives in Coppell, I go to Rejoice Lutheran (Pumpkin Patch Church) on Sandy Lake and do the ASM thing with my nephew in Troop 840 (Sandy Lake Road Baptist).

Where is MacGuinnes Park at? I don't have a map in front of me!!

MtnBikerGuy
02-14-2006, 11:44
Grew up in Maryland, about 15 min drive from the AT. Hiked on it some as a boy scout. Uncle Sam brought me here about 20 years ago. Got out, got a job and been here since. Wish I lived closer to the mountains and top knotch backpacking country.

JimSproul
02-14-2006, 11:52
I looked it up, and was I way off. It is Mcinnish Park. The one with the ball fields just east of the Trinity River. My oldest Daughter and I Kayak and frequently put in on the north side of Sandly Lake road in the park. There is a nature trail on the south end of the park. I pick up the tracks there and go east to Addison or west to Grapevine. the Trinity Valley is actually quite wide there, its "hills" run from Midway Road in Addison to the junction of 114 & 26 in Grapvine. Hike it in the summer and it will get you fit!

I don't belong to Rejoice but do attend a group that meets there. WB fever is one of those hidden diseases. You never know when somebody in your own community may be infected or a carrier!

Grew-up in Philly until 16, Military School in Harlingen, Texas for High School, Then 10 years in Boston, Dallas since 1980.

Nean
02-14-2006, 13:04
I did most of my growing up in Richardson but somehow:) had to settle w/ living here on the trail. I think I might of met Jim before? Anyways, sounds like fun, yall enjoy!

txulrich
02-14-2006, 13:23
I looked it up, and was I way off. It is Mcinnish Park. The one with the ball fields just east of the Trinity River. My oldest Daughter and I Kayak and frequently put in on the north side of Sandly Lake road in the park.

Is that the park with the horseshoe pits? I go by that almost every day.

There is a nature trail on the south end of the park. I pick up the tracks there and go east to Addison or west to Grapevine. the Trinity Valley is actually quite wide there, its "hills" run from Midway Road in Addison to the junction of 114 & 26 in Grapvine. Hike it in the summer and it will get you fit!

Is that the rail that runs along Belt Line Road? I would use caution when hiking on the rail right of way. I work for DART and we get real jerky and nervous (call the police nervous) when unidentified people are on our tracks.

I don't belong to Rejoice but do attend a group that meets there. WB fever is one of those hidden diseases. You never know when somebody in your own community may be infected or a carrier!

Do you meet in the fellowship hall in the evenings? If yes, congratulations. What night are you there?

Grew-up in Philly until 16, Military School in Harlingen, Texas for High School, Then 10 years in Boston, Dallas since 1980.

My son is attending Northeastern University. He is just about ready to graduate with his masters.

rmtjr
02-15-2006, 00:52
Move over young folks. Old Dallasite coming in here. Born and raised in OAK CLIFF, USA. My Dad referred to it as "Poverty Hollow." Sunset '56. But for you Yankees (damn'd and otherwise) I'll admit I've had good times in NY, NJ & PA. I'd like to come to the 3-11 get-together. My wife (the Chief-of-Staff) says it is OK with her. I'd like to learn more about some of the hiking places y'all are talking about. I'm so tired of the places around here (Waco, more or less). I can hike the Cameron Park trails with my eyes closed. Bob

Disney
02-15-2006, 02:19
I'm Texan born and bred, but I won't hold anything against the transplants.

I think Mountain Dew lives in Dallas. Anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Heater
02-15-2006, 02:32
I did most of my growing up in Richardson but somehow:) had to settle w/ living here on the trail. I think I might of met Jim before? Anyways, sounds like fun, yall enjoy!

RHS class of '77.

Also attended to RWJH and Dover Elementary.

:)

Did you go to RHS or Pierce High?

Pickles
02-15-2006, 09:29
Mountain Dew works at Mountain Sports on Pioneer Parkway between Bowen and Fielder Rds in Arlington.

Heater
02-15-2006, 10:01
Mountain Dew works at Mountain Sports on Pioneer Parkway between Bowen and Fielder Rds in Arlington.

So, the DPD thing didn't work out for him?
Sorry to hear that...

:)

Nean
02-15-2006, 14:07
JJ Pearce '78 old feller!:rolleyes: My paper route (Times Hearld) was over by West/ RHS and had lots of friends from there as one of my first jobs was down the street at Freds BBchew-- 75 & Belt Line. I'd be surprised if our paths had not crossed in the past.

BTW, just heard Dew will start his DPD training soon! You can PM him through WB

HikerHobo
02-15-2006, 23:25
It's certainly not Texas hospitality or the lush green scenery.

Sounds llike a damn yankee to me !

Heater
02-16-2006, 02:14
JJ Pearce '78 old feller!:rolleyes: My paper route (Times Hearld) was over by West/ RHS and had lots of friends from there as one of my first jobs was down the street at Freds BBchew-- 75 & Belt Line. I'd be surprised if our paths had not crossed in the past.

I helped my brother with his Times Herald route and I threw the Richardson Daily News in the afternoon. You could get 3 local papers delivered to your in a day house back then. One of them twice a day, IIRC...

I can still remember the soda jerks at the Sun Rexall drugstore near Beltine and Central. I think I have a vague memory of Fred's but remember the Kip's Big Boy at that location.

BTW, just heard Dew will start his DPD training soon! You can PM him through WB

I hope he gets it. I really do. He might just be a nice guy in person. :D
And yes, I have PMed MD before. :rolleyes:

txulrich
02-19-2006, 22:51
I just got an invitation to a co-workers wedding on the 11th. I really wanted to attend this gathering instead. It sucks having to be a reponsible adult.

bigkingtut
02-20-2006, 01:54
Hello all, My name is Mike(Big King Tut) (friends just call me Tut) and I live in Mansfield,TX. I started my section hike of the AT back in 2000. I have only been able to reach Unicoi Gap to date.
I have been to the Nature center a few times great practice hiking,I work a lot with the Boy Scouts and this is were we do training hikes. I would like to meet others in this area who are into backpacking. What time on the 11th?

MtnBikerGuy
02-20-2006, 19:24
Just hiked Cross Timbers Trail today, up by Lake Texoma. Only took me about an hour to get there from Allen, TX. I was not aware of the trail before a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be pretty good. Runs along the lake and mtn bikes are NOT allowed. Only myself and my lab on the trail today. I would suggest trying this out if you are not familiar with it. There are spots to camp by the trailhead as well as along the trail if you wish. Saw a bald eagle out there today too!

texas jack
02-20-2006, 23:49
hello all
Am Texas Jack and have hiked the Appalachian Trail fm end to end and wrote abt it in "Trailjournals.com" `01,`03
I paid for Mountain Dew`s dinner at Shaw`s Boarding house the yr he hiked.
have a hiking buddy (Grampie) who posts on here fm time to time, he sent me this white blaze thread..
so wz wondering what time pickles had in mind for a gathering
will have to drive in fm hunt county to be there..
I can talk hiking some

Sly
02-21-2006, 00:01

Handing out parking tickets? :)

Pickles
02-21-2006, 10:58
Looks like we have 7-8 folks so far who plan on meeting at the Cedar Ridge Preserve (formerly Dallas Nature Center, Dallas County Texas) on March 11th at 10:00 AM. If it has been raining, wear your mudders!

Pickles
02-26-2006, 11:01
Mt Dew works at Mountain Sports in Arlington. I understand from a previous post that he will be attending the Police Academy in the future.

Pickles
03-05-2006, 16:25
Reminder: WhiteBlaze.net hike at the Cedar Ridge Preserve (formerly Dallas Nature Center) Saturday March 11th, 10:00 AM.

I went for a hike this morning and the daffodils and red bud trees are in full bloom. The Bradford Pears and Honeysuckle are showing signs of life. For directions, see the first post in this thread for a link to the Cedar Ridge Preserve website.

See you there!

Pickles
03-08-2006, 10:19
Several people have asked for my agenda for Saturday's get together. My plan is to set up a table with WhiteBlaze logo signs near the main building. I'll have name tags (if attendees choose to wear one) and trail maps. People can hike as a group or individually, which ever they prefer. Dogs on leads are allowed. There are nice restrooms and a drinking fountain. If people want to get together afterwards for lunch, there are several casual restaurants two exits west.

While there are no water crossings, tonight's (Wednesday's) weather forecast calls for heavy rain. This could make sections of some of the trails a bit muddy.

See you there!

JimSproul
03-08-2006, 19:53
I will be there. Perhaps with my youngest hiker (she is 7)

txulrich
03-08-2006, 21:40
Have a great day. I wish I could be with you.

MtnBikerGuy
03-09-2006, 01:03
Enjoy the day gang. I'll be in Taos enjoying one last snow for the year.

Pickles
03-11-2006, 21:14
Thanks to all who attended the North Texas get together: Texas Jack, Big King Tut, Lady "J", Bob, Sonic and Pickles. A special thanks to Texas Jack for bringing his Appalachian Trail photo albums. I posted several pictures in the "Photos" section. Search for Texas or Dallas. It was also interesting seeing Bob's external frame "pack". It was an aluminum frame on which he attached various stuff sacks. Great for the organizer.

Thanks again and see you next time!

bigkingtut
03-12-2006, 21:32
Well we had a great time at the North Texas get togeather. It was nice to put faces with names. We meet Pickles, Sonic (sub sonic), Texas Jack and Bob(sorry I did not catch his trail name). Lady J( Judith my fiance`)

bigkingtut
03-12-2006, 21:47
Sorry about the last post,my computer has a mind of it's own and decided i was ready to post.... But here's the rest of the story.After meeting everyone we started on the Possunhaw trail to get warmed up. After knocking off this trail we started on the Cedar Brake trail,this is were we meet up with Pickles and Bob.We took a few pictures and hiked a shot distance with each other and then we started to put disitance between us. Bob was carrying a real neat pack. We then made our way to the Cattail Pond trail then took the Fossil Valley trail.The Fossil Valley trail has a major climb,it's hard to believe that you are actually in Big "D" when you are out here. if you did not have the road noise you would think that you were in the mountains some where. Once we completed this trail we went out the Escarpment Trail and finished with a nice boots off picnic at the trailhead. I was hoping to meet everyone back at the trail head but I guess we missed everyone. I will post the trip photos shortly. I would like to think Pickles for putting thee outting togeather and Texas Jack for sharing his Thru-Hike photos and stories. I look forward for the next outting.
Happy Trails to each of you from Lady J and Big King Tut ......