PDA

View Full Version : BSR Camping Stove

tflaris
04-11-2018, 19:21
Does anyone have any long term experience using the BSR Camping Stove.

Mainly looking for opinions of those using it for a long section or thru hike.

I have purchased one and it is light but I have doubts about long term daily use and durability.

I understand the relationship concerning weight, price and durability.

Thanks in advance.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Half
04-11-2018, 20:10
I used to use it but it was so long to get it to boil water, even in just average temps. also consumed widely variable amounts of fuel to boil the water. I now carry a MiniMo because I boil water at least 3 times daily and it's consistent on fuel usage.

Sarcasm the elf
04-11-2018, 20:13
Billville Safety Research?

https://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.com/2017/03/gear-review-bsr-pack-possum.html?m=1

Last Call
04-11-2018, 20:35
They are so small & light I hear some folks are carrying 2, just to have a back-up....

saltysack
04-12-2018, 09:31
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the flimsy pot supports but worst case you eat a few cold meals till you can replace....

saltysack
04-12-2018, 09:33
Assume you meant BRS....

tflaris
04-12-2018, 11:20
Assume you meant BRS....

Yes. Typo.

Shrewd
04-13-2018, 09:32
Lots of people have definitely thrued with one, but I haven’t heard many reviews, strangely, aside from complaints about the igniter failing.

But I heard people say that about their jet boils also.

For the price why not just buy one and experiment?

Be the sacrificial lamb for us and let us know!

nsherry61
04-15-2018, 09:51
Lots of people have definitely thrued with one, but I haven’t heard many reviews, strangely, aside from complaints about the igniter failing. . .
I assume the OP is asking about the BRS 3000T stove which has hundreds of reviews and does not have a built in igniter.
Just google BRS stove reviews and your screen will be full of feedback.

Summary of experienced people, not negative speculators:
1) Fantastically small, light and simple while working well and reliably.
2) More sensitive to wind than many other canister stove options
3) Some people have reported problems with pot support failure when using larger heavier pots (none that I've heard of from 1.5 L or smaller pots).
4) At least one review didn't like how short the stove was as the flame control handle could get a bit hot.

Personally, last week, I was having problems with the flame lifting off the burner and blowing itself out as I lowered my pot onto it when used in almost freezing temps with a brand new canister. So I had to hold the pot above the stove about 3/4" until the pot/water heated up enough or the canister burned off enough fuel pressure that the flame stabilized. Very annoying, but the only time I've had it happen in a couple years of intermittent use including many other much colder winter trips and surely with other full canisters.

MuddyWaters
04-15-2018, 12:43
Does anyone have any long term experience using the BSR Camping Stove.

Mainly looking for opinions of those using it for a long section or thru hike.

I have purchased one and it is light but I have doubts about long term daily use and durability.

I understand the relationship concerning weight, price and durability.

Thanks in advance.

TF

I used mine on JMT and CT, about 750 miles total
No problems
Its not the most fragile thing in my cook kit, my pot is

Absolutely worst case, only 400-600 cal or so of my daily intake comes from boiled stuff
I wont starve if I cant boil water, Ill just lose more weight.

You can always get a replacement of some sort in next town. Or food that dont need boiling,
Or support pot on tent stakes,r rocks, and make small twig fire under it.
Its not worth worrying about such things.

Lots of paths forward from failure, none end catastrophically.