PDA

View Full Version : couples on the trail

allie
02-13-2006, 17:50
Does anyone know what the success rate of couples hiking the AT together is? I've been told this is a horrible thing to do because it puts too much stress on the relationship. I just wanted some different opinions on this. Thanks!

Footslogger
02-13-2006, 18:10
It doesn't have to put stress on the relationship ...but the two people have to be very comfortable with themselves and each other to make it work. My wife and I have hiked a lot of miles together. We hike at different paces and that can often be a challenge. Years ago we agreed that each of us should hike our own pace and have meeting places along the way.

There are days when I will hike out in front and then sit/wait for her to catch up and there are other days when it feels right to back off my pace a bit and hike together.

You've got to give each other space and at the same time provide the security and support that a partner is there to offer.

'Slogger

gravityman
02-13-2006, 19:02
Does anyone know what the success rate of couples hiking the AT together is? I've been told this is a horrible thing to do because it puts too much stress on the relationship. I just wanted some different opinions on this. Thanks!

No idea of the success rate, but statistically speaking, it should be lower. If a single's person's success rate is 20%, as a couple, your success rate should be .2*.2*100 = 4%. Now, that assumes complete randomness in each person's sucess rate, which is a bad assumption...

That said, my wife and I did a thru this past year, and loved it. Sure, there are absolutely times when hiking as a couple is tougher, but there are far more times (for us) when being together makes us much stronger, and hiking a lot easier.

Personally, for us, it was a terrific thing! We tried in 2001 before we were married, and made it 1/2 way before we had to get off because she was sick and injured. She was a trooper, but in the end, the constant intestinal distress and weight loss coupled with the neuroma in the foot just was too much. We left the trail together because for us, it was together or not at all. We weren't interested in the hike as seperate people, but as partners. We got engaged shortly there after, and married not too long after that. But the hike was the real testing ground, where we learned that we could function together under stressful circumstances and be stronger for it. I think that the hike is a great place to learn to work together, but a terrible place to "work things out."

But we knew we had to go back and try again, which we did, and we made it!

Gravity and Danger GA-ME 2005!!!

mweinstone
02-13-2006, 23:17
i want a couple

allie
02-14-2006, 09:30
thanks gravityman....I am looking foward to a thru-hike in a couple of years as part of a couple!

soulrebel
02-14-2006, 11:02
Just a tip--bring a shovel if it doesn't work out.

soulrebel
02-14-2006, 11:02
i know my wife's bringing one--so don't worry about her..

longshank
02-14-2006, 11:04
I've heard that changing partners, or "swinging" can help relieve some of the stress.

The Solemates
02-14-2006, 11:19

easiest thing ever. much easier than living at home. no bills, no mortgage, no house maintenance, no dishes, no laundry, no worries.

KirkMcquest
02-14-2006, 11:20
One thing no one wants to see is alot of smoochie kissy cutsie couples in a lean-to. Give the rest of us a break, no public displays of affection. Although your relationship is really amazing, and you've finally found your solemate, the rest of us don't give a dam. Keep it real

Skyline
02-14-2006, 11:23
One thing no one wants to see is alot of smoochie kissy cutsie couples in a lean-to. Give the rest of us a break, no public displays of affection. Although your relationship is really amazing, and you've finally found your solemate, the rest of us don't give a dam. Keep it real

Uh-huh. Feel the love. It's Valentine's Day.

KirkMcquest
02-14-2006, 11:26
Keep your relationship-mongering to yourself

longshank
02-14-2006, 11:28
Noone wants to be subjecyted to your lovery.

allie
02-14-2006, 11:40
No problem with PDA...I hate to see it myself so I sure won't subject anyone else to it

Wolf - 23000
02-14-2006, 12:24
No idea of the success rate, but statistically speaking, it should be lower. If a single's person's success rate is 20%, as a couple, your success rate should be .2*.2*100 = 4%. Now, that assumes complete randomness in each person's sucess rate, which is a bad assumption...

Where do you get you logic? If 20% of all hikers finish the AT, that means your odds are 20% of making it regardless of if your single or a couple. But anyway.

True be told, if your relationship can not last a thru-hike then your better moving on with your lives and simple splitting apart. If it does last, you now know how strong your relationship is.

Alligator
02-14-2006, 12:50
Where do you get you logic? If 20% of all hikers finish the AT, that means your odds are 20% of making it regardless of if your single or a couple. But anyway.

True be told, if your relationship can not last a thru-hike then your better moving on with your lives and simple splitting apart. If it does last, you now know how strong your relationship is.
As stated, its a bad assumption. The events are likely not independent. But if they were, and if each hiker has a 20% chance of completing the trail, the probability is calculated as gravityman wrote 0.2x0.2=0.04 or 4%.

What is the chance that in two flips of a fair coin that 2 heads come out? 0.5x0.5=0.25 or 25%.

The Solemates
02-14-2006, 12:50

i have no idea what you are talking about. i was simply answering the question. we rarely stayed in shelters on our thru when others were in the shelter. go back to the city and stay there with the rest of the crazies shank mcquest. i think its obvious by now that not many like you here on whiteblaze.

KirkMcquest
02-14-2006, 13:11
i have no idea what you are talking about. i was simply answering the question. we rarely stayed in shelters on our thru when others were in the shelter. go back to the city and stay there with the rest of the crazies shank mcquest. i think its obvious by now that not many like you here on whiteblaze.

I wasn't even refering to you, but if the shoe fits....

Spirit Walker
02-14-2006, 13:39
Couples can provide the extra encouragement that helps you make it through the hard times. Or not. It depends on the couple. I think it is easier if you are both fairly strong hikers so that one is not 'carrying' the other - either physically or emotionally. You will each have your up days and your down days. We found that we usually balanced out, so that the highs are better and the lows easier - for being shared. If one is really tired, the other does a bit extra. It can make a difference. OTOH, if one is being 'dragged' along because the partner really wants a thruhike while the other doesn't, that resistance can cause both to give up. A negative attitude can bring everybody down.

Before you head for the trail you should consider what you will do if one of you needs to leave the trail, for whatever reason. Will one of you keep hiking alone? Will the other provide trail support? Will both of you go home? It is very hard to see a partner leave the trail. Jim met a guy out who was supposed to be on his honeymoon hike. She left the trail. He kept going alone. Finally he realized that maybe he had his priorities wrong and went home to his bride.

As to how you handle togetherness - again it depends on you and your relationship. On the AT it is easy to hike separately and just meet up for lunch or breaks or at the end of the day. If your hiking paces are very different, that is usually best. If your paces are similar - you can hike together or apart, depending on mood. My husband and I always hike together - but on the AT it isn't a necessity.

allie
02-14-2006, 15:01
Thanks for all the advice....We have been backpacking many times together and the most we have gone for was 5 days (finding time away from college right now is the hard part). We do hike the same pace pretty much the same pace, so we are always walking close enough. I just needed the opinions of those who had actually done the whole AT together...once again thanks for the stories/opinions.