PDA

View Full Version : 2019 thru hike

sureimsure
04-12-2018, 20:13
I am looking for a female hiking buddy to thru hike 2019. Wanting to start april/may 2019. I am 31 yo, female, easy going, avid hiker.

I don't know any other way to find a thru hike partner. I am not interested in showing up at Springer mountain alone in hopes of finding someone on the fly. :-?:confused::sun

Am thinking it would be best to perhaps do some section hikes together this summer to see if we are a good fit. if that's too creepy or too much effort, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy is offering thru hiker classes this summer which would be good ice breakers, etc. http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/how-to-hike-the-a-t

Contact me at [email protected] if interested.

BowGal
04-13-2018, 05:55
I’m planning a NOBO attempt next year, but much earlier....early to mid March.

I’ve pondered hiking with someone, unfortunately none of my friends hike. Guess I need new friends. Also, my concern finding someone is what if I can’t keep up with their pace, or they can’t keep up with me.

sureimsure
04-21-2018, 10:36
Hi BowGal!
Sorry for taking so long to write back.
I could be talked into an earlier start date. The only thing is, you don't want to start too early because it's going to be freaking cold. I find that people in general tend to underestimate the effects cold weather can have on a body, especially when undertaking a thing like a thru hike.

I understand your concerns about pace, too. At 15 miles per day, the AT will take take a solid 5 months and that's not counting off days. My goal would be 15 miles per day, minimum. In my experience, 3 weeks of 15 mile days will whip you into to shape faster than you can imagine. That said, if my hiking partner needed to do less miles, I would be more than willing to compromise because you really would be working as a team out there. (although, many thru hikers would disagree and say "HYOH" = "hike your own hike", etc.)

Anyway. Not to worry. Most of these things can be worked out. Just have to find some people you mesh well with.

:)

Jill_so_ill
04-30-2018, 21:53
Hey there, I too am going to be attempting my thru next year and was thinking of an early start as well but would be willing to change my plans. That’s the only thing that I’m really nervous about is showing up at springer day one alone. If any thing I’d be down for doing some practice/shake down hikes this summer/fall :)

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 11:01
If you are starting in April you will find all the friends you want for 2200 miles :) Not trying to be negative in you finding someone but more so encouraging you to still go if you do NOT find a partner.

Toni doriot
10-22-2018, 02:30
Hello, I am also planning to go alone in early April. i may not be able to start out the gate at 15miles per day tho. It sure would be nice to meet with someone. Safety in numbers? Lmk ...

Nwilliamson23
10-23-2018, 16:14
I am also starting out around the same time (march25) I am looking for other females to hike with too.

sydreichert
10-23-2018, 18:06
I'm a 23 year-old female attempting NOBO mid-March! Was planning to start by myself with the hopes of meeting people/hiking with others along the way :)