PDA

View Full Version : Earth Day is 4/22! What will you do?

OCDave
04-14-2018, 23:25
I started kindergarten in 1970. The “Crying Indian” public service announcement, “Keep America Beautiful” and Earth Day were all part of my early life experience. An Outward Bound course a few years after college moved me more toward the Earthy-Crunchy, Greenpeace-loving, environmentalist end of the spectrum.

My heros include:
Aldo Leopold - https://www.aldoleopold.org/about/aldo-leopold/
Sigurd Olson - http://listeningpointfoundation.org/sig-olson/
Bob Marshall - https://www.wilderness.net/nwps/Marshall
and, of course, John Muir - https://vault.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/life/muir_biography.aspx

While their lives are too giant to aspire to emulate, they still stand as examples of the difference one man can make.

Many hikers already consider themselves tree-hugging, environmentalist but, like going to church on Christmas, Earth Day is an excuse to "up your game" if only temporarily.

Small measures matter and it's OK to start early. It's also OK think BIG! (See Aldo Leopold, Sigurd Olson, Bob Marshal...)

Happy Earth Day week!

Mglyon
04-15-2018, 01:21
What will I do for Earth Day? Turn 48! Born on the first Earth Day. When hiking the AT in '97, spent a memorable birthday at the Fontana Hilton. Always spend the day outside and plan to be backpacking in SE Utah for this one. Everyone enjoy yourselves!

rocketsocks
04-15-2018, 06:51
Espera de Corti

peakbagger
04-15-2018, 09:35
Hope I am not shoveling snow up in NH (it snowed last night in the whites and the snow pack up high is still pretty deep

Interesting trivia is the Crying Indian is actually an Italian actor. Sill memorable but the ad wasn't without its controversies http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-indian-crying-environment-ads-pollution-1123-20171113-story.html

Uriah
04-15-2018, 11:31
The way I see it every day is Earth day. At least until we leave this joint. And even then...

RangerZ
04-15-2018, 17:38
If the ‘plan’ holds, heading into NOC and celebrating my 65th birthday.

Currently in Helen recovering from a cold rainy day from Low Gap tents to Unicoi Gap.

Feral Bill
04-15-2018, 20:10
Bike ride, walk, photography in the park. Maybe check out a local event.

kestral
04-15-2018, 21:43
Every year same thing. Walk along and pick up trash. Make my world a tiny bit better.

A manager I used used to work under once took me aside and asked if I had a DUI problem because he saw me riding my bike and walking home from the grocery store and work, and then picking up roadside trash. He wanted to know if I would be missing work due to “obviously” having had my Driving License revoked. He actually went online to check clerk of courts.

Naw, guess I’m just a cheap date. :?)

johnnybgood
04-16-2018, 09:15
Hike a 18 mile overnighter in SNP . After that go to a local brewery or two and celebrate Earth Day.

Venchka
04-16-2018, 09:29
Hope I am not shoveling snow up in NH (it snowed last night in the whites and the snow pack up high is still pretty deep

Interesting trivia is the Crying Indian is actually an Italian actor. Sill memorable but the ad wasn't without its controversies http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-indian-crying-environment-ads-pollution-1123-20171113-story.html

Who knew? He grew up in SW Louisiana. Kaplan and Gueydan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

I will be reviewing the Gloom & Doom forecasts that haven't come to pass since Earth Day #1. Like running out of oil and gas.
Y'all have fun!
Wayne

Coffee
04-16-2018, 10:26
Urban running or cycling b/c I'm unfortunately far from trails.

TX Aggie
04-16-2018, 10:31
Grill a steak, drink some beer, maybe do a little shooting. Nothing special, I don’t understand these whole “special day” events. Either you care about something all the time or it’s just propaganda. Kind of like promoting ethanol in gas, “Earth Day” celebrations typically cause more pollution and litter than any other typical day. Have you seen the DC mall after one of these events? Disgusting.

Coffee
04-16-2018, 14:38
Have you seen the DC mall after one of these events? Disgusting.
Yeah, I love environmental events where everyone shows up in their gas guzzling SUVs, uses disposable items galore, and trashes the place. Maybe the SUV is a hybrid, however, which makes it OK. True environmentalism is equivalent to minimalism, totally at odds with how almost everyone in the U.S. chooses to live, and the ethos coincides well with the backpacking lifestyle.

Tundracamper
04-18-2018, 07:01
Grill a steak, drink some beer, maybe do a little shooting. Nothing special, I don’t understand these whole “special day” events. Either you care about something all the time or it’s just propaganda. Kind of like promoting ethanol in gas, “Earth Day” celebrations typically cause more pollution and litter than any other typical day. Have you seen the DC mall after one of these events? Disgusting.

I was hoping there would be a post that finally cut to the meat of my thinking.

OCDave
04-18-2018, 13:40
... Nothing special, I don’t understand these whole “special day” events. Either you care about something all the time or it’s just propaganda.....

Sometimes people care but still do nothing. Sometimes, a small excuse is all it takes to do something big.

One can feel powerless against big problems but emboldened when others are willing to join.

Happy Earth Day, however you choose to spend it.

OCDave
04-18-2018, 13:47
... True environmentalism is equivalent to minimalism, totally at odds with how almost everyone in the U.S. chooses to live, and the ethos coincides well with the backpacking lifestyle.

The world has changed dramatically since the first Earth Day. There have been many improvements in the way we treat the planet but, there are still things that can be improved. The kid who is involved in an enviromental protection project today will carry that experience forward. Enviromentally concious leaders of tommorrow are created today type thing.

D2maine
04-18-2018, 17:39
i am going hiking

SawnieRobertson
04-18-2018, 20:31
I will get a year older. Looking at it from the Earth’s standpoint,
I and many others who share that birthdate will get one year closer to “return8ng to the earth,” to the mother of all of us: Mother Earth. Weather permitting, it will be a good day to take a walk in the Highlands with my dog. Maybe some of you who are in SW Virginia will be out there too.

SawnieRobertson
04-18-2018, 20:59
Happy Earthday to you. Happy earthday to you . . . And many more,����������������

rocketsocks
04-18-2018, 21:29
Happy Earthday to you. Happy earthday to you . . . And many more,����������������
How old are you now, how old are you now~5.8 Billion?

TX Aggie
04-22-2018, 22:41
Didn’t grill or eat a steak, instead I went to a horse show and supported my daughter while watching dozens of horses expel methane into the atmosphere.

Offshore
04-23-2018, 07:16
Did a few miles on the AT after collecting and hauling out three bags of trash from the parking area adjacent to the trail. I didn't even remember it was Earth Day yesterday, but a good deed is a good deed and the lot is clean now...