PDA

View Full Version : La Nina and class of `95

freefall
02-13-2006, 22:57
Does anyone remember if `95 was a overly wet year on the AT?

Nokia
02-14-2006, 01:21
It actually seemed pretty dry. PA always seems to be in a drought, but it certainly wasn't rainy like 2003. I thought for the most part that it seemed average for the east coast.

colbys
02-14-2006, 20:33
Well i thrued in 95.and i think i must have set a record for fewest days on the trail,i just checked my journal,and i only count 10 days on paper where i mentioned rain.
sure there was more,but i do remember that water was scarce in penn,ny and maine...
hopefully i wont be the only 95'member in the hiker parade at trail days..

colbys
02-14-2006, 20:34
or maybe you ment 05 and just missed the 0?

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2006, 20:42
I remember tremendous rain in late June in northern Virginia (they might have even closed Shenandoah Park for awhile), and a few bad storms in southern New England.

But there've certainly been wetter years (like 2003!).

freefall
02-14-2006, 20:46
or maybe you ment 05 and just missed the 0?

No, meant 1995. That was the last year the US experienced La Nina. Typical weather related to this pattern is dry over the western sates and wetter than average for southern states. Colorado got almost nothing out of the system that moved through last week, but then it joined up with a low pressure system and dumped record snowfall on the east coast.
That year we had 21 atlantic tropical systems, 19 named storms with 5 direct impacts on the US mainland. One of the storms caused floods in the NC mountains and washed out a bridge near Lees-McCray College.
I was living in Charlotte, NC that year and just seemed to remember alot of rain. I could be wrong though.

tiamalle
02-14-2006, 22:09
No, meant 1995. That was the last year the US experienced La Nina. Typical weather related to this pattern is dry over the western sates and wetter than average for southern states. Colorado got almost nothing out of the system that moved through last week, but then it joined up with a low pressure system and dumped record snowfall on the east coast.
That year we had 21 atlantic tropical systems, 19 named storms with 5 direct impacts on the US mainland. One of the storms caused floods in the NC mountains and washed out a bridge near Lees-McCray College.
I was living in Charlotte, NC that year and just seemed to remember alot of rain. I could be wrong though.Freefall I wish I could help you by for telling this year but for the last 3 years it has rained alot in NC during the summer:o

freefall
02-14-2006, 22:20
Freefall I wish I could help you by for telling this year but for the last 3 years it has rained alot in NC during the summer:o

Thanks. I know the weather is gonna do what it's gonna do, was just trying to decide if I needed to throw my snorkle and fins in my pack or not.:)

Sometimes knowledge is a bad thing....I'm a meteorology student and ever since it was announced(La Nina), I've been pouring over data from the last cycle but it's not helping too much.

tiamalle
02-14-2006, 22:24
Thanks. I know the weather is gonna do what it's gonna do, was just trying to decide if I needed to throw my snorkle and fins in my pack or not.:)

Sometimes knowledge is a bad thing....I'm a meteorology student and ever since it was announced(La Nina), I've been pouring over data from the last cycle but it's not helping too much.were you going to school in Charlotte for meteoroligy

freefall
02-14-2006, 22:41
were you going to school in Charlotte for meteoroligy

No, in Charlotte, I was going to CPCC for real estate appraisal.(didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, still don't)
Moved to Denver, CO this year to take up my BS in Meteorology. Still trying to figure a way to get credit for my hike this year!:D

colbys
02-15-2006, 11:42
thats right ive thought back to 95 and i remember lots of rain,but for some reason i always seemed to be north or south of it.i was northern penn when shenandoah got hit.i still dont think i got rained on at all overall through the whole trip.i must have the luckiest some bitch around that year...should have went to vegas after the trip....oh well..