PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Costco $35 CF Trekking Poles?

Runner2017
04-20-2018, 20:15
Today I notice Costco is selling a carbon fiber trekking poles with cork grips for $35 a pair. The claimed weight is 1 lb per pair, Cascade Mountain Tech brand. If you have used them, I'd like to hear your experience.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2018, 20:58
Well known backpacker Andrew Skurka has both short and long term reviews on his site. He seems to think they’re a bargain given their price.

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-trekking-poles-review/

Runner2017
04-20-2018, 21:35
Well known backpacker Andrew Skurka has both short and long term reviews on his site. He seems to think they’re a bargain given their price.

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-trekking-poles-review/Thanks for the link.

DuneElliot
04-20-2018, 22:33
I bought them (rubber handles, not cork) because of Skurka's review and have used them extensively for two years. I really like them and have fallen on them hard and got them stuck between rocks and haven't broken them. I think they are great and I plan on asking for another set for my birthday as a replacement pair for when these eventually wear out (I'm moving back to the UK so trying to buy all this stuff before importing becomes cost prohibitive).

SoaknWet
04-21-2018, 07:08
I completely agree with the above post! I've had mine for 2 yrs and have used them in all weather conditions and they performed great! However I have the foam handles I like them but wish I had gone with cork. Well worth the price!

cmoulder
04-21-2018, 07:20
Today I notice Costco is selling a carbon fiber trekking poles with cork grips for $35 a pair. The claimed weight is 1 lb per pair, Cascade Mountain Tech brand. If you have used them, I'd like to hear your experience.

They're good, but IMO you want to make sure they're the flick lock version and not twist lock.

I didn't even need them but bought a set (cork grip, flick locks) just to test. Don't over-tighten the flick lock nuts (the knurled, clear plastic thingies) and they should last a long time.

JC13
04-21-2018, 08:33
I have the cork flip locks and have used them for about 2 years. No issues so far. Use them for backpacking and shelter setup.

Southeast
04-21-2018, 09:04
Be sure to get the flick lock ones as others have said.
They’ve worked fine for me.

Starchild
04-21-2018, 10:00
Be sure to get the flick lock ones as others have said.
They’ve worked fine for me.
I didn't think it was possible for carbon sticks to be twist lock, it would seem that it would need to be compressed , trying to expand carbon fiber would seem like a great way to crack it.

Southeast
04-21-2018, 11:07
I didn't think it was possible for carbon sticks to be twist lock, it would seem that it would need to be compressed , trying to expand carbon fiber would seem like a great way to crack it.

Costco previously sold the carbon fiber twist lock set, so yes it’s possible. Mountainsmith was the mfr.

Cheyou
04-21-2018, 13:44

I broke one in Pennsylvania got stuck in rocks. Use aluminum now

thom

MtDoraDave
04-21-2018, 14:12
When I upgraded from walmart poles, I went with the Cascade Mountain Tech, foam handles, flick locks.

I don't do Costco, so I bought them directly from Cascade for $40 or $45.

On their website, you can buy replacement parts. If you break the lower segment, buy the lower segment. I want to say they're like $15 per segment... something like that. quite reasonable.

Singto
04-22-2018, 10:14
One of the best buys in hiking gear. Hundreds of reviews on Amazon. Costco price is very good. I paid $45 for mine thru Amazon.

Time Zone
04-22-2018, 19:15

How does flick-lock work, it not by some other form of compression?

OP: are they in your Costco store, or did you find them online? I didn't find them at Fort Oglethorpe, GA's store, but I do see them online.

FWIW, for years I have used a set of Komperdell twist-lock aluminum poles (140cm) private labeled to LL Bean and they've been great. Pretty nicked up by now, but hard to kill/going strong. I have a spare pair waiting in the wings, but the first set won't quit yet! I find that they do not have any issue with collapsing - just hand tighten firmly.

shelb
04-22-2018, 19:44
I have used the cheaper poles for years! They served my family well on many short hikes (10-20-50-100 mile). For all my "Adventure Club" kids, I recommend the cheap poles - due to how they will be using them.

After having a cheap pair break on me during a 200 mile hike, I have now switched to more expensive / guaranteed poles (Leki or Diamond); however, I still recommend the cheaper pole for people doing shorter mileage hikes!

greensleep
04-23-2018, 10:13
I have used the cheaper poles for years! They served my family well on many short hikes (10-20-50-100 mile). For all my "Adventure Club" kids, I recommend the cheap poles - due to how they will be using them.

After having a cheap pair break on me during a 200 mile hike, I have now switched to more expensive / guaranteed poles (Leki or Diamond); however, I still recommend the cheaper pole for people doing shorter mileage hikes!

I've used cheap and expensive; broken both. 3 weeks ago, I broke a Diamond Cork in PA in the rocks.

Starchild
04-23-2018, 12:43
How does flick-lock work, it not by some other form of compression?
Twist lock works by compression against the inside of the next larger stick. The compressive force is trying to split apart the cylinder from the inside, pushing it out. This puts the circumference in tension.

Flick lock works by compression against the outside of the next larger stick. The compressive force is trying to push together the cylinder from the outside, pushing it in. This puts the circumference in compression.

A circle (or cylinder wall section) is usually stronger with that compressive force from the outside as that force pushes the circle tighter together.

But as pointed out above it does seem twist lock is a option.

Starchild
04-23-2018, 12:46
Twist lock works by compression against the inside of the next larger stick. The compressive force is trying to split apart the cylinder from the inside, pushing it out. This puts the circumference in tension.

Flick lock works by compression against the outside of the next larger stick. The compressive force is trying to push together the cylinder from the outside, pushing it in. This puts the circumference in compression.

A circle (or cylinder wall section) is usually stronger with that compressive force from the outside as that force pushes the circle tighter together.

But as pointed out above it does seem twist lock is a option.
That should be:

Flick lock works by compression against the outside of the next smaller stick. The compressive force is trying to push together the cylinder from the outside, pushing it in. This puts the circumference in compression.

But as pointed out above it does seem twist lock is a option. Also the forces are on different sticks, the twist locks compress against the larger diameter stick, flicks on the smaller diameter one, so that factor may be a strength plus for twistlock.

cmoulder
04-23-2018, 22:38
A flick lock is a clamp. The part that closes the clamp is a cam with a lever on it.

The reason twist locks loosen is that the normal forces of 'planting' the pole and pushing off rotates the pole, which eventually un-winds the screw that engages the expanders.

Some time back I had an idea to make some designated Left and Right twist-lockers, with one threaded normally and one reverse threaded, so that the natural twisting action would tend to keep the screws tight rather than loosen one of them. However, although I think it could work I abandoned it quickly as impractical and something that no major producer would ever embrace. Flick locks are much simpler all-'round.

rocketsocks
04-24-2018, 00:25
Fiberous Cellulose tubes can be found for free if ya bide your time.

cmoulder
04-24-2018, 07:14
The only practical fibrous cellulose tube is bamboo. Rare in my neck of the woods, so I'd need a lot of time for biding. :-?

Starchild
04-24-2018, 08:07
The only practical fibrous cellulose tube is bamboo. Rare in my neck of the woods, so I'd need a lot of time for biding. :-?

Might as well get a pair of CF sticks to walk around looking for it too.

I have seen bamboo out there, but few and far between.

wornoutboots
04-24-2018, 08:28
I sobo'd the PCT in 2016 with "walmart" type poles. No Problemo..............

SoaknWet
04-24-2018, 11:27
Depending on the individual high price gear destroyed in days, the cheap stuff last a life time! I don't care what it is if the owner doesn't practice good common sense their won't last!

Bansko
04-24-2018, 12:22
I'll gladly pay more for Czech made Leki poles.