PDA

View Full Version : Which Section in July? NC/TN or MA/NH

shelb
04-22-2018, 20:10
I have been sectioning for nine years.... I like to "tag" onto ends that I have hiked in the past... (because I hope to complete the AT someday!).

This year (2018), my choices are:

Clingman's Dome to Roan Mountain
OR
Cheshire, MA (Mt Greylock area) to Wentworth, NH.

As I said, I plan to hike them both someday anyway, but I am wondering if I might be better to hike one mid to end July and save the other area for early June in another year (thinking of heat/bugs/ and note: as a teacher, I can only hike in the summer...)

Thank you for your input! (I would also appreciate any info on water/shelters/hostels/resupply/"Treats"/etc you can offer outside of what AWOL's Guide and Guthooks has.

towerclimber727
04-22-2018, 20:20
I have been sectioning for nine years.... I like to "tag" onto ends that I have hiked in the past... (because I hope to complete the AT someday!).

This year (2018), my choices are:

Clingman's Dome to Roan Mountain
OR
Cheshire, MA (Mt Greylock area) to Wentworth, NH.

As I said, I plan to hike them both someday anyway, but I am wondering if I might be better to hike one mid to end July and save the other area for early June in another year (thinking of heat/bugs/ and note: as a teacher, I can only hike in the summer...)

Thank you for your input! (I would also appreciate any info on water/shelters/hostels/resupply/"Treats"/etc you can offer outside of what AWOL's Guide and Guthooks has.We're still getting some pretty cool weather here in NC so I'd imagine they're getting even colder nights up in Mass....so I'd say it depends on what amd how much you want to carry for gear.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

rubyvermonter
04-23-2018, 12:25
Living in Vermont, I can say that you may prefer to hike in the northeast in July rather than June. In June in the northeast you are likely to be hiking in the height of the black fly, and then mosquito, seasons. I also think that you'd rather hike down south in June when the temperatures aren't as high as July. Whatever you decide will work out!

full conditions
04-23-2018, 12:37
Early June for the Southern Appalachians - you'll run into some hot, humid days but evenings and nights should be comfortably cool. July for Vermont - yes it will be at its peak crowding-wise but way fewer black flies and mosquitoes and great swimming at Stratton, Griffith, and Little Rock Ponds.

Highland Goat
04-23-2018, 20:31
If you save the Southern Appalachians for when you have time in June, you may get to enjoy the Rhododendrons in flower. On the other hand early to mid July is peak for Mountain Laurel bloom in New England.

shelb
04-23-2018, 21:59
Thank you, everyone! It sounds like July is best for the Northeastern area.. and I should save the NC/TN area for a June hike. ..

Does anyone have any advise for the MA-VT-NH area? (Hostels or towns NOT to MISS? specialty stops? Craft beer? lol)