PDA

View Full Version : NE Family Car Camp near/on AT?

SpongeBob
04-24-2018, 09:20
Hope this is not off topic for WB. I’m a section hiker whose family (11,12,20 and my bride) would like to set up a base camp near AT in NE for early June, tent or cabin, that I could hike to while they day hike, play in a stream or lake, etc. AT preferred but any nice, fairly quiet camping spot on good trail welcomed. Am assuming it will be black fly season north of MA then so probably have to stay south of there (?). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alligator
04-24-2018, 10:01
Not off topic at all. Maine yes for black flies. I can't say definitively for VT but I think so. If not worried about black flies, I enjoyed Gifford Woods State Park in VT. It has cabins and leantos, plus the trail runs either right through it or right next to it. Maybe a future trip if you go somewhere else in June.

linus72
04-24-2018, 13:13
Off the top of my head- a few options: Housatonic Meadows SP in Cornwall CT is right below the trail with a few side trails right up to the AT you could make a loop hike from with nice views - the Mohawk Trail and Pine Knob Loop trail. The campground is right by the river and there's tubing outfits in the area too. There might even be some summer fun activities at nearby Mohawk ski mountain. There are some cabins to rent but they are on the small side and may already be booked.
Also:
Beartown State Forest in MA has a loop that connects with the AT and a campground.
Fahnstock SP in NY has a beach, public store and faciilities, campgrounds, and several trails including a portion of the A.T.
Harriman SP in NY has an AMC lodge with campground and cabins for rent. Many many trails and lakes to swim in the park and a beautiful portion of the A.T.

Have fun!

linus72
04-24-2018, 13:29
i know NY is not in New England, but since you're in the city, both of these are easily accessed and pretty scenic and on the A.T.

Feral Bill
04-24-2018, 15:35
I started my outdoor career car camping in Harriman with my dad. I'm still at it. Highly recommended.

rickb
04-24-2018, 16:28
I have never tented there — so take my recommendation for what it’s worth — but we walked around the pond and through the tent sites at Beartown State Forest in MA last December.

I think it might be worth looking into.

The place looked nice enough, with campsites by the Pond and its on the AT.

It might be best enjoyed by those willing take a few short drives away from camp for extra adventures:

The walk up Monument Mountain (not on AT) is relatively short and has a great payoff by AT standards. Effort vs. reward is A+
There would be any number ways that a short drive could allow the campers to meet up with a AT hiker on the Trail for lunch or snack
Great Barrington has good restaraunts and decent old bowling alley if it’s raining
Bunch if other mini destinations in the general area if campground gets boring.

That said, my personal experience in the area limited to a few hotel nights in the winter. Others would know more.

SpongeBob
04-24-2018, 19:00
Not off topic at all. Maine yes for black flies. I can't say definitively for VT but I think so. If not worried about black flies, I enjoyed Gifford Woods State Park in VT. It has cabins and leantos, plus the trail runs either right through it or right next to it. Maybe a future trip if you go somewhere else in June.

Thanks! I’ll look into it.

SpongeBob
04-24-2018, 19:00
Off the top of my head- a few options: Housatonic Meadows SP in Cornwall CT is right below the trail with a few side trails right up to the AT you could make a loop hike from with nice views - the Mohawk Trail and Pine Knob Loop trail. The campground is right by the river and there's tubing outfits in the area too. There might even be some summer fun activities at nearby Mohawk ski mountain. There are some cabins to rent but they are on the small side and may already be booked.
Also:
Beartown State Forest in MA has a loop that connects with the AT and a campground.
Fahnstock SP in NY has a beach, public store and faciilities, campgrounds, and several trails including a portion of the A.T.
Harriman SP in NY has an AMC lodge with campground and cabins for rent. Many many trails and lakes to swim in the park and a beautiful portion of the A.T.

Have fun!

Thanks!

SpongeBob
04-24-2018, 19:03
I started my outdoor career car camping in Harriman with my dad. I'm still at it. Highly recommended.

Thanks. Pretty familiar with Harriman and it is a great option.

SpongeBob
04-24-2018, 19:04
I have never tented there — so take my recommendation for what it’s worth — but we walked around the pond and through the tent sites at Beartown State Forest in MA last December.

I think it might be worth looking into.

The place looked nice enough, with campsites by the Pond and its on the AT.

It might be best enjoyed by those willing take a few short drives away from camp for extra adventures:

The walk up Monument Mountain (not on AT) is relatively short and has a great payoff by AT standards. Effort vs. reward is A+
There would be any number ways that a short drive could allow the campers to meet up with a AT hiker on the Trail for lunch or snack
Great Barrington has good restaraunts and decent old bowling alley if it’s raining
Bunch if other mini destinations in the general area if campground gets boring.

That said, my personal experience in the area limited to a few hotel nights in the winter. Others would know more.

Thanks! Will look into it. That’s a beautiful part of the trail and Great Barrington is a good option. Appreciated.

ki0eh
04-24-2018, 23:08
Katahdin Stream Campground inside Baxter State Park appears to have openings in June, perhaps due to black flies.

SpongeBob
04-25-2018, 13:26
i know NY is not in New England, but since you're in the city, both of these are easily accessed and pretty scenic and on the A.T.

Linus - I created some confusion with the NE abbreviation. I meant Northeast, so PA, NJ, NY good too.

ki0eh
04-25-2018, 15:48
In PA:

The thru hiker bubble is spread across the PA A.T. in June. Blue Rocks campground by Pinnacle/Hawk Mountain is oft cited as a family favorite, though I haven't been there myself, and that area seems relatively crowded for the scenery that doesn't differ much from the rest of PA. Pine Grove Furnace State Park, home to the A.T. museum and near the halfway marker, has some good A.T. hikes and loop back on other trail possibilities. Both this and the nearby Caledonia State Park aren't exactly undiscovered.

Cowans Gap State Park has a nice campground, in an isolated valley without reliable cell service. You'll have to say whether that's good for your family, or not. ;) It's not extremely far off the PA Turnpike or US 30/other roads. Standing Stone Trail, which offers similar but better scenery to the PA A.T., runs north from here, and Tuscarora Trail north and south, so plenty of Rocksylvania hiking.

In PA, June is a good time for the northcentral "PA Wilds" region. Black flies aren't quite as prevalent as in the far north woods of NY/New England. Worlds End State Park, along Loyalsock Trail and many linked loops, is a highlight not quite as far west as many other possible venues. Little Pine State Park, along Mid State and Tiadaghton Trails, is a less crowded alternative about 1/2 hour drive off I-80. Hills Creek State Park, far enough north along Mid State Trail that it runs out of rocks, has cabins and yurts in addition to campsites. Just north and also along Mid State Trail (but due to road pattern not much different drive time to reach) Ives Run Recreation Area, on US Army Corps of Engineers Hammond Lake, offers a bit more hiking directly from the campsite (but no cabins/yurts).

SpongeBob
04-25-2018, 16:23
In PA:

The thru hiker bubble is spread across the PA A.T. in June. Blue Rocks campground by Pinnacle/Hawk Mountain is oft cited as a family favorite, though I haven't been there myself, and that area seems relatively crowded for the scenery that doesn't differ much from the rest of PA. Pine Grove Furnace State Park, home to the A.T. museum and near the halfway marker, has some good A.T. hikes and loop back on other trail possibilities. Both this and the nearby Caledonia State Park aren't exactly undiscovered.

Cowans Gap State Park has a nice campground, in an isolated valley without reliable cell service. You'll have to say whether that's good for your family, or not. ;) It's not extremely far off the PA Turnpike or US 30/other roads. Standing Stone Trail, which offers similar but better scenery to the PA A.T., runs north from here, and Tuscarora Trail north and south, so plenty of Rocksylvania hiking.

In PA, June is a good time for the northcentral "PA Wilds" region. Black flies aren't quite as prevalent as in the far north woods of NY/New England. Worlds End State Park, along Loyalsock Trail and many linked loops, is a highlight not quite as far west as many other possible venues. Little Pine State Park, along Mid State and Tiadaghton Trails, is a less crowded alternative about 1/2 hour drive off I-80. Hills Creek State Park, far enough north along Mid State Trail that it runs out of rocks, has cabins and yurts in addition to campsites. Just north and also along Mid State Trail (but due to road pattern not much different drive time to reach) Ives Run Recreation Area, on US Army Corps of Engineers Hammond Lake, offers a bit more hiking directly from the campsite (but no cabins/yurts).

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. I grew up in north central PA on the NYS border and hiked, hunted and fished there, but never took advantage of the gorgeous parks to the south.

Starchild
04-25-2018, 16:47
I remember someone set up a camper at a lake in the 100MW and offered trail magic as it was on the AT. I don't recall the exact spot, I'm guessing at about the 60 mile (going NoBo) mark. Great camping spot with a small sandy beach.

linus72
04-25-2018, 16:58
Also at Delaware Water Gap, lots of campgrounds, cabins/Mohican Outdoor center, swimming areas and trails that lead up to the AT and around the river on both PA and Jersey sides. There is a town there so you can get supplies as needed for hiking and family camping. Mohican would make a nice base camp, we enjoyed staying there last fall and they have lots of camp like activities like stargazing, etx.

SpongeBob
04-25-2018, 19:02
Also at Delaware Water Gap, lots of campgrounds, cabins/Mohican Outdoor center, swimming areas and trails that lead up to the AT and around the river on both PA and Jersey sides. There is a town there so you can get supplies as needed for hiking and family camping. Mohican would make a nice base camp, we enjoyed staying there last fall and they have lots of camp like activities like stargazing, etx.

Thanks again.

SpongeBob
05-04-2018, 09:34
We ended up booking a cabin and a “backcountry” tent site with another family at Harriman. It looks fantastic.

Deadeye
05-04-2018, 11:06
I second the motion for Gifford Woods. Lots of options for day hikes, fishing, golf, etc.

SpongeBob
06-05-2018, 07:57
Harriman AMC was a great option. Great food, cabins, bathrooms with showers for the non-campers and new platforms and privy a 20 minute walk away for the kids to have an adventure. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180605/eee048c6badecb6132bff51f7a9005f2.jpg

linus72
06-05-2018, 09:32
Awesome! Taking a bunch of friends there in the fall to camp and hike. If you did some hikes out of here, what were your favorite ones?

rickb
06-05-2018, 09:33
Harriman AMC was a great option. Great food, cabins, bathrooms with showers for the non-campers and new platforms and privy a 20 minute walk away for the kids to have an adventure.

Sounds like you found a great spot.

And it even had a privy a 20 minutes walk away for the kids to have an adventure!

Who could ask for more?

:)

SpongeBob
06-06-2018, 09:35
Awesome! Taking a bunch of friends there in the fall to camp and hike. If you did some hikes out of here, what were your favorite ones?

Linus - Thanks to a badly timed bit of gout, my hiking was limited to the shore trail to and from the campsite, but that trail is a pretty and interesting 2.2 mile loop of AT like actual terrain - rock fields, etc. Not an old road. There’s an access trail from the camp to the Breakneck Ridge trail which I hear has nice views. There’s a Harriman Map on line that shows pretty good trail detail on a topo. We are going back Columbus Day weekend and I hope to do more hiking then.

shelb
06-06-2018, 17:03
Off the top of my head- a few options: Fahnstock SP in NY has a beach, public store and faciilities, campgrounds, and several trails including a portion of the A.T.

Have fun!
These are both GREAT options to do trail time with family who won't be hiking!