PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Book Advice

greenpete
04-24-2018, 11:31
Hello fellow AT hikers... have any of you published books related to trail hiking? (either AT or other trail, thru or section). Like a lot of you, I keep a hiking journal, and after several years just completed a book. It deals with section hikes of mine on the AT and CDT. I talk about people I met, my thoughts about aging, memories, environment, culture, etc. I'm hoping to self-publish in a couple months.

It'll never be a bestseller, but I plan to advertise it on Whiteblaze, and other hiking forums. Does anyone have tips on where else I can market it? Also, maybe where I can find a hiking notable (or other) who could offer an advance praise quote?

Thanks for any help!

Dan Roper
04-24-2018, 13:32
Marketing for a self-published book is almost never cost effective if you have to pay for it. If you pay $100 for an ad, and have to sell 5 or 10 books to recoup that cost, you usually won't. Often, you won't come close.

Your most cost-effective way of marketing is to speak to local civic organizations, libraries, etc., where you sign the book to those who have heard you speak and who are entranced by what you've had to say. You'll be lucky, in all probability, to sell one or two or six per event, meaning it will take a ton of events to liquidate your inventory. As for sales through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, etc., you might start off getting a handful a month but it'll quickly taper off to less than that.

You probably want to print 100 to start - certainly no more than 250 - unless your circle of family and friends is huge and incredibly supportive.

It is very difficult to come close to breaking even with a self-published book. A few people manage to do it. Most don't. Most of the time, the only entity that makes money is the printer.

You'll probably need to have your manuscript edited and proofread, and the design handled by a designer, if you want to maximize the small chance to break even. You might have friends who will do it for free, but that's usually a crap-shoot and route to an unpolished product.

I'm being pretty gloomy here, but book publishing is a bear of an industry. The general public has a notion that if you publish a book and advertise it, that hundreds if not thousands will sell. That happens, the same way that winning the lottery happens - to one out of a thousand or million.

I know one publisher who advised a friend, "If you want to publish a book, go ahead. Get it out of your system. You won't make any money, but you'll have the satisfaction of having had a book published." There's a great deal of truth in that. Seeing a book through to publishing is a huge accomplishment that will give you a lot of satisfaction. But the marketing and sales experience is hard enough to usually persuade people to never do it again; at least not for financial benefits.

My company has published three books and publishes a magazine. We tripled our money on two books and lost money on a third. So I have some experience with this, though not exhaustive. You might proceed and prove my evaluation is too pessimistic. I hope so, but I doubt it.

greenpete
04-24-2018, 13:50
Thanks Dan. There's a lot of truth here. This will actually be my 2nd book. My first was a history that I published with an academic press. They marketed (as did I), but being an academic endeavor, the book sold miniscule copies. I'm not upset, because like you say, I had great satisfaction in completing it and publishing (it took 9 years).

So I don't expect big success with this memoir. Just looking for ideas and tips. It's already been through an edit (plus, I'm a technical writer/editor by trade). Right now I'm seeking a professional cover designer (any tips here?). Re speaking to local organizations, that might be difficult, since I'm real shy and would probably start hyperventilating. I might be able to swing a few old folks' homes.

Thanks again, and best of luck with your company's publishing efforts.

Dan Roper
04-24-2018, 15:25
I'll be glad to email you the name and contact information for my designer. He's a freelancer in Roswell, Georgia. He's done my magazine since 2004 and he's done most of my books. He's a great guy with good taste.

It's best not to serve as your own proofreader and editor. You need another set of eyes, or as many as you can get, reviewing your work. It'll make a tremendous difference, unless your name is William Shakespeare (and even he probably had an editor - probably his wife lurking in the corner, making him irate, prompting him to debate whether taming a shrew is worth it).

To stand a chance with a book, you'll have to get comfortable with public appearances. I'm a huge introvert that was scared out of my wits in college speech class. But public speaking, etc., is a skill that can be learned with time. It's by far the most cost-effective way to sell books.

OCDave
04-24-2018, 15:31
Many "blogs" available on-line with comparable content. What merits "book" form over "blog" form?

My suggestion: start blogging and gauge your audience prior to a significant monetary investment. If you can't attrtact reader for free, it will be difficult to attract them if they are required to purchase the content.

Feral Bill
04-24-2018, 15:31
. Re speaking to local organizations, that might be difficult, since I'm real shy and would probably start hyperventilating. I might be able to swing a few old folks' homes.

Thanks again, and best of luck with your company's publishing efforts.

I have given many presentations in old folks homes. Don't depend on them to be an easy audience.

greenpete
04-24-2018, 16:13
Many "blogs" available on-line with comparable content. What merits "book" form over "blog" form?

My suggestion: start blogging and gauge your audience prior to a significant monetary investment. If you can't attrtact reader for free, it will be difficult to attract them if they are required to purchase the content.

Yes, I do have a blog (since 2012). I've posted a few bits from my hiking, and they've gotten great response.

Like I told Dan, I'm just fishing for tips and ideas for marketing... places to go to advertise, to get the word out. Obviously, I'd like to sell a lot of copies, but if I don't, no big deal. It's an achievement to complete and publish (even self-publish) a book. Much greater personal satisfaction than blogging (in my opinion). Sort of like finishing a triathlon as opposed to a bunch of 5K runs. Plus, I'm old-fashioned, and like holding a product in my hand! :)

greenpete
04-24-2018, 16:17
I'll be glad to email you the name and contact information for my designer. He's a freelancer in Roswell, Georgia. He's done my magazine since 2004 and he's done most of my books. He's a great guy with good taste.

It's best not to serve as your own proofreader and editor.

I probably should have been more specific, but yes, I did hire a professional editor.

Re your freelancer in Roswell, I'm interested in seeing his work. Can you give me his name or website? Thanks.

Dan Roper
04-24-2018, 16:27
Sent via email. :)

Dogwood
04-24-2018, 18:08
I started a two set coffee table sized glossy picture book keeping the writing terse. It was modeled after Peter Potterfield's Best Hikes books. They include short insights and inspirational quotes-life lessons- learned almost entirely on hikes. I intend to self publish.

I agree with Dan Roper in having professionals editing and reviewing before embarking further especially if you're mostly writing. I also was assisted by professional photographers.
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Hikes-World-Breathtaking-Treks/dp/0393057968