PDA

View Full Version : Is Esbit allowed on international flights?

Starchild
04-24-2018, 18:30
Title says it all.

bigcranky
04-24-2018, 18:49
No.

Answer says it all. :)

BuckeyeBill
04-24-2018, 18:53
The TSA website does not mention Esbit tablets specifically, But you can read the What can I bring? (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring) page that list items and how they may be transported on a plane.

bigcranky
04-24-2018, 21:15
The TSA site specifically states that "fuel" is not allowed. Esbit is a type of fuel.

BuckeyeBill
04-24-2018, 21:30
The TSA site specifically states that "fuel" is not allowed. Esbit is a type of fuel.

I I agree with you, no doubt about it.

George
04-25-2018, 07:40
you need to prune your pm box

Starchild
04-25-2018, 08:02
you need to prune your pm box
Yes just got that notification. Wish they gave more space, but I cleared some.

4eyedbuzzard
04-25-2018, 21:25
Hexamine (Esbit) besides serving as a camping fuel, is an explosives precursor. It is forbidden under the general fuel provisions by TSA and as an inflammable in Europe. I would imagine the same is true for other origins and destinations. It would probably just get thrown away when detected by explosive sniffer tech. But why bring unwanted attention to oneself?

Starchild
04-26-2018, 07:53
Pretty much asked and answered. Thanks

For the curious: This was intended for El Camino, to get a hot cup of coffee for very early morning starts, before the kitchens opens (all overnights are at 'hostels' usually on El Camino). Last year I had to make some cold water instant some mornings which is not enjoyable. I wouldn't need many fuel cubes, so Esbit seemed like a good idea at first. After some thought however, I switched the concept to a 90g electric immersion heater, as there is almost always electricity at the hostels, and often one is starting out in town, not exactly the environment to use a camp stove setup, which would require hiking out of town.

Leo L.
04-26-2018, 08:27
Your idea about the electric immersion heater hits the nail. Just make sure the plug fits the wall outlets in Spain.

bigcranky
04-26-2018, 10:50
As for cold instant, the packets of Starbucks Iced Via work very well. Tasty, easy to mix, not too heavy to carry. I use these in the summer for breakfast and a pick me up in the afternoon when needed.