PDA

View Full Version : Current CT,MA,VT conditions?

putts
04-25-2018, 13:26
Any WBers able to give a first hand update on conditions in lower New England? Thanks!

hikermiker
04-25-2018, 14:12
Can't answer about MA & VT but the trails in CT are clear of snow. Some are muddy but that is not unusual in Spring, which has finally arrived.

linus72
04-25-2018, 14:18
i am particularly interested in knowing snow coverage if any from Gulf Rd Dalton Nobo to VT line as I have some sections planned to finish MA in May. Hear its going to be high 60s+ in the next week so hopefully there will be no snow left by then.

Starchild
04-25-2018, 16:08
MA, take dirt, add water & stir.

The Snowman
04-25-2018, 19:27
Its raining more sun tomorrow.

Cosmo
04-26-2018, 17:12
Still snow on Mt Greylock. Probably around a foot in the shadier spots, but well consolidated. I have not been up there yet, but last Sunday I was North of Dalton, snow began at around 1800ft. Easily walkable, crusty in the AM, soft in the afternoon. No special gear needed, but expect wet feet.

Cosmo

greatexpectations
04-30-2018, 12:57
tyringham ma 4/22 - muddy in the usual wet spots, some patchy snow (probably gone now) near webster rd. lots of blowdown to deal with on the less used sections.

greylock (via rd) 4/26 - consistent snow cover started on road at ~2700'. deep in shaded spots and bare in others. i would guess a little more snow in woods depending on direction and tree cover, but as cosmo said shouldn't need traction or gear.

sages ravine to mt everett 4/28 - tiny patches of snow in sages ravine and N side of everett but nothing to worry about. some mud between race and everett but nothing crazy.

Traveler
04-30-2018, 13:27
The Long Trail and AT are poor candidates for a hike in VT right now due to mud season now. The Green Mountain Club who maintains trails asks higher elevation trails not be used until the end of May to reduce damage. Mud season prohibition typically ends around Memorial Day, but that can change with each year. Their website has a list of recommended trails that can be hiked over the next four weeks if interested. To get current trail conditions and warnings, you can call the GMC at 802 244 7037.

putts
04-30-2018, 17:08
Thank you for the updates.

Cosmo
04-30-2018, 20:34
Yup, we got lots of blowdowns pretty much everywhere, the March stroms were pretty intense. Should pretty much have things cleared by mid-month. Just in time for the blackflies....

Upper Goose Pond Cabin opens on May 12th.

Cosmo

tyringham ma 4/22 - muddy in the usual wet spots, some patchy snow (probably gone now) near webster rd. lots of blowdown to deal with on the less used sections.

greylock (via rd) 4/26 - consistent snow cover started on road at ~2700'. deep in shaded spots and bare in others. i would guess a little more snow in woods depending on direction and tree cover, but as cosmo said shouldn't need traction or gear.

sages ravine to mt everett 4/28 - tiny patches of snow in sages ravine and N side of everett but nothing to worry about. some mud between race and everett but nothing crazy.