PDA

View Full Version : Maine the first week of June ???

Suzzz
04-26-2018, 10:34
Hi there,

Is it a good idea to do a section south of Statton in Maine the first week of June? This is unfortunately the only week I have available.

Possibility of snow on the trail?
Muddy trail?
Bugs?
Cold nights?

If the concensus is that it wouldn't be a pleasant/safe hike, I'll change my plans and go do a section more to the south. That's the beauty of section hiking.

Thanks for the info!

SouthMark
04-26-2018, 10:39
Hi there,

Is it a good idea to do a section south of Statton in Maine the first week of June? This is unfortunately the only week I have available.

Muddy trail?
Bugs?
Cold nights?

If the concensus is that it wouldn't be a pleasant/safe hike, I'll change my plans and go do a section more to the south. That's the beauty of section hiking.

Thanks for the info!

We did that section in June 2009. Started June 6. It had snowed June 1. Temps were mild but it rained almost everyday. All in all it was a good hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peakbagger
04-26-2018, 13:18
Bugs, specifically black flies , potentially still snow up high in shaded spots. Folks have gotten spoiled over the last few winters which were warmer and lower snow. this year has been colder and later snowpack.

egilbe
04-26-2018, 16:59
June isn't optimsl, but it can be pleasant and safe. If that's all you have, take it. I've heard reports of rime ice forming on North Crocker in July, so do what ya gotta do.

TJ aka Teej
04-26-2018, 20:11
Muddy trail?
Bugs?
Cold nights?
Little chance of snow,
Muddy for sure.
DEET, headnet, and tent. Take your breaks in breezy areas. You'll be fine.
Cool nights, unless it rains.
Have fun!

Suzzz
04-28-2018, 19:55
Thanks for the info guys, I can't wait!!!