PDA

View Full Version : saving everyone

Frog
02-14-2006, 07:20
I heard on the news yesterday about a hiker who went for a walk on the A T near I 40 on saturday. Sunday a rescue party showed up to go save him. While they were there he came walking out of the woods. My question is now that they have had a lot of rescues are they going to send out a rescue team every time they see a car parked at a trail head.I am not sure of the reasons that they showed up to search for him.
But he said it became white out conditions on the trail so he just set up his tent and stayed the night.

Wolf - 23000
02-14-2006, 12:12
Frog,

I would doubt rescue teams went looking for him because of his park car. I’ve left my car at Route 40 many times; even for several days without any problems. I with one of the trail maintainers and will find out the story behind what really when on.

Doctari
02-15-2006, 11:54
I didn't hear the story, so this is just a guess: Sounds like Panicked family members to me.

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! John is MISSING, IN THE WILDERNESS, call 911, call 911, call 911!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!"

Or something like that. I agree with Wolf, it (probably) wasn't because of the parked car.

Just bear in mind when hearing of such a "rescue" and especially when you are out there hiking, to most people what we do is INCREDABLY dangerous. Dangerous beyond anything they can imagine. how many times have friends & family said to you (something like): "You are going out in the woods?!?!?! ALONE!!!????!!! For 2 WEEKS?!? You are carrying a gun arn't you?"

BTW, that was a direct, word for word quote of one of my friends. My response to that was to say: "No, it's 3 weeks" then laugh at him & walk away. You should have seen his expression :D

Doctari.

Frog
02-17-2006, 07:17
I searched out the papers and couldnt find anything either. I agree i didnt think the rescuers would go out just because there was a car at a trailhead. but it did make me wounder. Probably a concernded family member made the call. Thats why i always tell a family member where i am going and that i am prepared for anything.

timhines
02-17-2006, 07:26
sounds like he was prepared.

My skinny butt would have frozen to death.